A Game Of Dwarves Announcement Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on January 21st, 2012 at 9:45 am.

We mentioned Paradox’s upcoming dwarf-management game, A Game Of Dwarves, earlier in the week, but there was also an announcement trailer, which you can see below. I had a quick chat with the team when I was at Paradox’s event in Sweden this week, so I’ll post that as soon as I’ve got it written up. I should say though that they were super-keen to stress that all the stuff we’ve seen of the game so far is super-earlier, and that it is not yet feature-complete.

, .

1. Moonshine Fox says:

That voice acting made me cringe. Looks kinda interesting, but the animations really need a touch of work. I’m not sure if this is some kind of indie game, but it didn’t quite attract me much. I kinda felt “I’ve got Dwarf Fortress, what does this have that DF doesn’t have?” Aside from graphics, that is :P

• Jim Rossignol says:

It’s in the tradition of the Bullfrog games, not Dwarf Fortress.

• The Army of None says:

(Which is still good by me!)

• LuNatic says:

I hope they do copy a lot from Dwarf Fortress. If it has a DF style crafting system (More experience = better quality items), and food/booze/sleep management I could see myself spending a lot of time on this. I’d also like to see different materials providing different benefits(Silver weapons do bonus damage vs vampires and lycanthropes, mithral armour absorbing magic damage, but not as good against an old fashioned axe, etc). I’ll be very disappointed if they don’t flesh it out with some good depth.

• Gnoupi says:

You obviously can’t make a game with dwarves and caverns without people comparing it to dwarf fortress or calling it a copy, nowadays. See Dwarfs!?! or Delve Deeper, for example.

Besides, glad to see that Paradox has a Dungeon Keeper game in preparation, really hope it turns out good. Because the last one, from other people (Dungeons), was not very exciting.

• Bhazor says:

What I love about DF is the level of simulation and the resultant chaos that can result as things spiral out of control. That and it has some of the funniest glitches since Boiling Point.

If this has those two things I’ll be very very happy.

@Jim

Well given that DF was originally a Dungeon Keeper clone…

• Jim Rossignol says:

@Bhazor, i think “clone” might be stretching the definition of being inspired by something.

• Kent says:

Ugh, I hate to be reminded of Dungeons. Horrible piece of work that was. I tend to look at Evil Genius as the spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper… because EG were actually a pretty good game… even through taking over the world got boring after a while.

• HexagonalBolts says:

The design references very heavily to dwarf fortress, if you’ve spent a lot of time playing dwarf fortress then the ASCII pretty much looks like this trailer to your deluded mind.

I really hope there are over-ground invasions that you have to fend off.

• LionsPhil says:

Evil Genius is still one of the most slickly presented games I’ve seen, and it makes up for so many mechanical shortcomings.

• MSJ says:

I can’t wait to see how the game tie-in for The Hobbit will compare to Dwarf Fortress.

• TBPx says:

Unfortunately, in order for me to feel hopeful about this game, which I will be shamelessly comparing to DF, I’ll expect a similar level of detail. I say unfortunately, because even half of the intricacy of DF rendered for the above graphics seems like it would be a monster to run. I built myself a lovely new system that eats everything else on ultra settings, and I still live in fear of the Catsplosion.

That said, I am praying to the Blood God that this game offers me the disturbing satisfaction of un-wedging goblin corpses from my spear traps in 3D.

• Dave Mongoose says:

It’s in the tradition of the Bullfrog games, not Dwarf Fortress.

@Jim – I think it’s fair to say that it overlaps the concepts of Dwarf Fortress quite a lot, even if it’s not intentional… The last part of that trailer (where the voiceover talks about digging “as deep as you please, what’s the worst that could happen?” with a sinister shadow looming over the king) is very suggestive of DF’s ‘hidden fun stuff’…

Granted that in itself is based on the Balrog of Moria from The Lord of The Rings, but you can’t ignore the similarity.

2. Davie says:

Aaaand now we know what constipated dwarf babies sound like!

All voice-acting silliness aside, this looks like it could be a reasonably fun sort of Dungeon Keeper/Dwarf Fortress lite. Really though, if DF’s mechanics were transplanted even to this graphics engine, it would make my year. Or possibly life.

3. Nutrion says:

I think it looks great.
    View distance probably needs to be longer, some glitches going down with the elevator, but overall I’d want to try it out NOW. Hehe

4. Prime says:

Heh. The ghost of Dungeon Keeper lives on. Fantastic.

5. Inigo says:

I miss Funnybones.

6. BurningPet says:

They should have just called it “World of Dwarfcraft: Dungeon digger”.

Name issues aside, it does look extremely cute and here’s hoping it will not disappoint like that other “dungeon keeper-like-game” which turned out so flat and boring that it only took the genres a few steps back rather then advancing it.

7. Brumisator says:

I apologise in advance for my following meme use:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

8. Legionary says:

So tired of this art style.

Ninja Dodo says:

As opposed to photo-realism? You’re not tired of that? Personally with the handful of games that manage to pull off a solid cartoony visual style I think we could do with a few more.

Scandalon says:

Ninja dodo, show me a current, real-time game that looks photo-realistic…

Ninja Dodo says:

OK, I should’ve said ‘photo-realistic’… but you know the style of graphics I mean. Certainly, some games are best served by something more or less realistic, but it’s a shame it has to be the default visual style for nearly everything.

• Phantoon says:

I think he means he just hates brown.

Rooms should have tiled floors, like in Dungeon Keeper, to keep the color from just being brown, everywhere.

• Dave Mongoose says:

So tired of these one line complaint posts. If you’re going to give a negative opinion, at least elaborate; otherwise you just look like a lazy troll.

9. Tuco says:

Sounds interesting, but some more effort/investment in a better production value couldn’t hurt a bit.

In other words: “it looks ugly as hell, please do something about that”.

10. SketchyGalore says:

A game of Dwarf Fortress that doesn’t have the accessibility of a ten-foot greased wheelchair ramp? I’m there. Just more Dungeon Keeper than Dungeons, please!

11. Kollega says:

Ever since Wiggles/Diggles, that German-made epic dwarven quest simulator made in early 2000s, i love me some dwarf management games. Unfortunately, Dwarf Fortress is fairly impenetrable even with a tutorial and i am an impatient git.

I also liked Evil Genius, which i heard is close to Dungeon Keeper in terms of gameplay, so this game might turn out to be my kind of stuff.

• Stoygroff says:

Smells like Diggles: The Myth of Fenris alright… Hopefully it isn’t another Dungeon Keeper rip-off like ‘Dungeons’ Kalypso pooped out a while ago.
      I’ve been a zealous follower of Dwarf Fortress for a couple of years now. Also enjoyed Evil Genius a lot, so I hope they got some inspiration from those games.

12. quickfics says:

Seriously, what IS the worst that could happenin’?

• Swanny says:

I was wondering the same thing.
      Hoping for a we-drank-all-the-booze inspired fisticuffs death spiral.

13. Rich says:

Hope you can make your tunnels look nicer.

Andy_Panthro says:

Definitely looks a lot like Dungeon Keeper, which is a good thing I think.

Hopefully you can dig too deep and unleash a balrog.

15. LionsPhil says:

>Placing ladders by just clicking and spending money rather than having to create them in a workshop from a felled tree and then have a dwarf get there and place them without the stupid, stupid, stupid AI managing to get itself stuck or it every available dwarf that picks up the ladder getting distracted by hunger, thirst, or kobolds half-way there and dropping it, at which point someone else needs to return it to the stockpile before the whole miserable process can be re-tried.

Dumbed down for consoles!, etc.

• MondSemmel says:

Hey, even in Dwarf Fortress, last I played all you needed to carve stairs from rock was a pickaxe :). Of course, one could also build staircases in the open, which made the process more like you mentioned above…
      Are there actually ladders in DF? I don’t remember them being there.
      That being said, I approve of the quote.

• LionsPhil says:

(Yeah, I can’t actually remember ladders in DF, but then I haven’t played since whatever the release after 40d was.)

• MSJ says:

When I was younger, with have to arrange individual pixels to make ladders. In the snow! Uphill, both ways!

• LionsPhil says:

Pixels? Luxury! We had to play on a teletype, holding the view of the game in our heads!

16. JackDandy says:

It’s looking kind of neat.

Will keep my eye on it.

17. Skiv says:

Do ho ho ho. Everyone here said its pretty nice. Ill say the same. Waiting with anticipation!

18. HannibalBarca says:

I live for the day when Paradox’s cutesy little strategy of blatantly piggy-backing off of popular games gets them smacked with a lawsuit.

• Lilliput King says:

Popular games like Dwarf Fortress, that household name, that commercial juggernaut?

FriendlyFire says:

Piggy-backing off what? Dwarf Fortress, Evil Genius, Dungeon Keeper?

I know there’s not a lot of games in the genre, but that doesn’t mean they’re all X-clones.

Or are all FPS still Doom clones?

19. Nixitur says:

I wonder what it’s more inspired by, Dwarf Fortress or Dungeon Keeper. If it’s the former, I probably won’t buy it, because I love Dwarf Fortress way too much. If it’s the latter, I am rather intrigued.
    Whatever the case, I’ll definitely keep an eye out for any news on this.

20. Saiko Kila says:

I want to see a dwarf mother, carrying her dwarf baby which is trailing its dwarf intestines behind. I’d compare my imagination with the game devs imagination, see which one is better. Also, if the shadow at the end was cast by demon, I hope it will be really atrocious.

21. Yargh says:

Please Please Please, be good!

22. Brotacon says:

I don’t know, I love the idea of a game like Dwarf Fortress with a mouse based UI and updated graphics but this… it just looks a bit bland?

The animation is pretty stiff and slow and the artstyle is alright, but nothing that grabs me.

I suppose I always imagined an updated Dwarf Fortress to look like Stonesense with a Sim City 3000 style UI with contextual mouse menus on right click.

Something like this picture: