GSC Enter The Good Old Games Zone

By Adam Smith on February 21st, 2012 at 2:47 pm.

That's no Zone

GSC have announced their arrival at Good Old Games with a bundled package of some of their most fondly remembered titles. Yes, it’s the Cossacks Anthology, containing Cossacks: European Wars and its two expansion packs. Now, I do have very fond memories of Cossacks’ take on the historical RTS, throwing around thousands of units at once, but of course it’s the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games that most people know GSC for. Further titles will be appearing but I’m not even sure S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is old enough to be considered anything other than a GG. The Cossacks Anthology is available here, priced at $5.99. Maybe if everyone in the world buys it twice, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 appears immediately?

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Jams O'Donnell says:

Well, The Witcher 2 is old enough to be included, after all.

• Necroscope says:

Fahrenheit of 2005 isn’t exactly old. How old is old so that a game qualifies as a Good old game? I can’t recall where, too many nights at the slaughtered nun tavern has grogged my memory, but aren’t GOG going to be selling new games along side their older catalogue sometime soon ?

• bear912 says:

If I’m not mistaken, it used to be that a game had to be at least three years old in order for it to have a place on GOG, but I believe they recently abandoned this rule. Someone more informed can correct me if they know the details.

• Edradour says:

I think Witcher 2 is just there because GoG is run CDProject and having made the game and everything they put it on their own distribution platform?

btw i want Z (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_%28video_game%29) on GoG NOW

2. simoroth says:

I wonder if they will put codename outbreak up. It was their first attempt at an atmospheric FPS, I really disliked it personally, but appreciate it as a stepping stone to STALKER.

3. kurtcocaine says:

I used to love the cossacks series.. I know i have the discs lying somewhere.. This just reminded me to go find em!

• Gozuu says:

I just wonder where American Conquest is on the list? They were indefinitely more advanced than Cossacks !

4. scottossington says:

Maybe the version from GOG works with Windows 7, but the Steam version does not, Stalker that is.

• Necroscope says:

The Stalker series works fine on my Windows 7 pc
      I use the complete mod

• Unaco says:

I got STALKER SoC and CoP, both on Steam, running Windows 7 64bit… never had any problems running either, with or without mods.

• scottossington says:

Then I hates yous

• BobbyKotickIsTheAntichrist says:

Yeah, works fine on my Win 7 rig. nanananana! :-P

5. Neurotic says:

Aye, Cossacks is a trip down memory lane. Still got the first game’s expansion on my shelf, but not the actual first game, strangely.

6. Eclipse says:

I’m actually more interested in Heroes of Annihilated Empires

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

As am I, I bought it on Steam because it looked cool but then it turned out it wont work on a 64 bit system without a large amount of wrangling. A mod team did use an updated version of the Cossacks II engine but that only worked if you played their mod, there was no such fix for the vanilla game even though it would seem easily done by GSC if they so chose.

• KaL_YoshiKa says:

Wasn’t that just the weirdest little game ever. I could barely follow the plot it was so incomprehensible. Shame the sequel where high fantasy was to meet modern military hardware didn’t come to pass.

7. Adriaan says:

Yes! Cossacks was great. Now please please please put American Conquest and AC: Fight Back on GOG and I will give them all of my money for it.

• destroy.all.monsters says:

The Cossacks games have been available on DotEmu for some time and are of course drm-free. DotEmu actually sets up many games for Gog themselves.

8. MichaelPalin says:

At this point, I’m not sure if I dreamed it or not, but I think gog is going to start releasing new games this year. Obviously, not triple A games from big publishers that cannot understand the concept of DRM-free, but I guess plenty of indies and games from middle sized publishers and studios.

• BobbyKotickIsTheAntichrist says:

the more, the merrier. gog.com rulez! … my wallet… ;-)

9. killias2 says:

I got Cossacks and its expansions and Cossacks II and its expansions for some ridiculous price on Steam over Christmas. Literally, I think I paid like 3 dollars for the entire franchise. It’s on Steam instead of GoG, but just something to think about….

10. Vinraith says:

Am I remembering correctly that one (or more) of the Cossacks games has a metamap-type campaign? If so, anyone know which one(s)?

• kud13 says:

that was Cossacks 2

I absolutely adored the first game. best pure RTS ever. despite being an AoEII clone, it actually incorporated ridiculous (for its time) physics, esp when it came to artillery and naval combat.

• InsuranceSalesman says:

I know Cossacks 2 (both vanilla and Battle for Europe) has one, though honestly I don’t remember it being all that great. It’s fun for a little while, but the fact that factions can only ever have one army leads to some pretty frustrating situations if you’re fighting enemies on multiple fronts.

Anyways, could anyone tell me if Cossacks 1/American Conquest are worth buying if you already own Cossacks 2? I liked the gameplay concepts and the vast armies you could command in the latter game, but honestly it feels too unwieldy a lot of the time due to the massive amount of micro involved.

• Lucid says:

American Conquest is fantastic and a great history lesson to boot.

Nothing really beats playing as the Aztecs and swarming over the Spanish with hundreds of Jaguar Warriors.

11. bsplines says:

Ah Cossacks! I remember when I bought the original box which had that ridiculously detailed 200 page manual. Who on earth decided these should go? Never got around to get the expansions though.
    I hope they put American Conquest there as well. I ‘d love to try it.

12. Arglebargle says:

I already bought Stalker three times, so I am picking up the slack for somebody here!

13. Commissar says:

Looks like I’ll be buying STALKER again.

I’m such a dirty whore for that series.