Editing The Eagle: Carmageddon Remake’s First Screens

By Alec Meer on March 5th, 2012 at 10:22 am.

car wot goes fairly fast but most of all violently

It’s entirely possible we’ll have to wait another 12.7 thousand years for Carmageddon: Reincarnation to roll its spiky, organ-splattered wheels this way, but we’ve waited this long already so a spot of extra patience before we can massacre pedestrians with weird cars isn’t going to hurt.

At least we finally have a first peek at roughly what the game will look like. Above is one of the proposed redesigns of classic Carma car The Eagle. That is in-game, albeit a “very, very early prototype” of Reincarnation – apparently the rendering engine’s already been replaced since then. More below.

The big red Eagle has gone from this:

To, potentially, this:

What a difference a decade makes, eh? The more moderate 2010s demand fewer outlandishly-oversized bonnet-blades than the excessive (I blame Jim Lee and Rob Liefield) 1990s, I suppose. However, this is but one of the proposals for the new-look Eagle – devs Stainless show off concept art for others in their expansive design post here, and are looking for feedback on what direction you’d like to see CarmaR’s art style head in. Personally, I dig this absurd monstrosity more than the comparatively sedate design they’re experimeting with in-engine:

It looks like an angry fish, and that’s something I can sympathise with, being as I am both a grump and a pisces.

Here’s another in-game shot of the other design – again, this is very much an unfinished scene, so don’t complain about the texturing and the aliasing and the shadowing all that jazz. We don’t often get to see mainstream videogames at so early a stage, so let’s not sour the deal by shouting about how it looks a bit basic.

The history and the future of the Eagle is documented over on the Stainless blog, which also runs through a few more alternative designs that didn’t make it past the drawing board.

For more on Carmageddon: Reincarnation, you might want to have a squizz at my interview with Stainless from last Summer. Or don’t. See if I care.

I’ll cry if you don’t. No-one wants that.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Jams O'Donnell says:

It looks like it could be made out of Lego. Lego Carmageddon: confirmed!

• mpasydg says:

Here’s hoping the pedestrians’ limbs don’t balls up the car physics in this edition of the game. I got stuck on lots of tiny edges and corners (and pedestrian limbs, natch) in the later games in the series. http://yourl.ir/9848

kregg says:

You know what? That car looks totally sweet, even without the anti-aliasing. It still has the heart of Carmageddon, and not some generic-car-racer-2012 image stamped on it.

Count me excited for Carmageddon :D

P.S. I want all those prototype cars in the game :|

• faelnor says:

It does have that Carmageddon look, doesn’t it.

Now I just want to know how detailed the damage model and how smart the AI are, and how many pieces you can pop out of pedestrian mutilation and dismemberment.

Harlander says:

I’m hoping for a return of the original damage model of Carmageddon.. gave meaning to the phrase “I wrapped my car around a lamppost” when it ends up bent in half..

Screwie says:

Absolutely! Nothing I loved more than seeing the damage report at the end of a level, and seeing what horrors had happened to the poor sap I knocked into orbit with a Pinball Mode + Granite Car combo…

• Lemming says:

I do agree the car looks cool. However I prefer the ‘fish’ design simply because you can see a more normal car in their somewhere that’s been modified apocalypse-style. The new one just looks like it came off a factory floor. I liked Carmageddon’s Mad-Max hodge-podge look.

• realmenhuntinpacks says:

It does indeed have the look. Genuinely glad this is coming back – I’m usually pretty re-boot-indifferent but this is the pure stuff. That the original coincided with my bloody thirsty early adolescence may have something to do with it, but the game really had atmosphere – it was hilarious, sure, but also quite chilling… the deserted streets, the ‘who ARE these idiots caught short out here?’ vibes…. ‘I was in the war!’

• Vagrant says:

The fact that it has a gas cap is awesome.

• LionsPhil says:

I like these graphics. I can see things other than lense flare, other fake camera defects, unnatural depth of field, motion blur, and overcooked bloom.

• Baines says:

The original blade looks better than either the new in-model or the new large blade concept art. The original blade looks feasibly practical for a death sport car combat racer.

If you drove under a car while sporting that blade, it looks like it would do some real damage. The new in-game model doesn’t have that feeling. The blades on the new model’s roof seem pointless, completely decorative. The rest of the hood alone makes sure those short blades will never touch anything. As for the new concept art, that oversized blade is mounted to an engine element, and it looks like you’d risk damaging or completely ripping that off the moment you drove under another car.

If you must have a blade at all, then the original design just seems the most practical.

And I’d argue the blade serves another important point in making the car recognizable. Red car with a blade says “Carmageddon”, and inside the game says “That guy who has a red car with a blade”. In comparison, the new in-game model says “Nolan’s Batmobile spray-painted red”, and if the same design sensibility behind it goes into the other cars then I fear than in a completed game you’d might be relying on the color alone to tell it apart from other vehicles. (The new concept art just says “Silly” to me. It looks like Carmageddon, but it pushes the unreality and impracticality a bit too much to have quite the same feel as the original series.)

3. Gunsmith says:

“Those of us who are about to die, we salute you!”

a decade later its still the best intro to a racing game.

4. StickyNavels says:

I think the armored car with some elements akin to the open body-work and *maybe* the ped-shredder from the Angry Fish could look fairly nifty.

Can hardly express how sweet those screens made my normally gut-eating morning coffee taste.

5. Hentzau says:

Have a squizz? Ew, no.

AmateurScience says:

Call me a carebear all you like, but I hope there’s an option for the Zombies the original Carmageddon game came with (thanks, Censorship!) instead of people.

Absolutely loved the original (avec zombies). Felt sick and wrong playing it when the things that I was running over were real humans and non-zombie cows.

Running over zombies = super-fun

Running over people = not fun

• SiHy_ says:

I must be sick and twisted because I just hope that grannies are still worth 15 points.
      Zombie mode would be good, though, for the delicate flowers who played it with the safe-mode on.

• RogB says:

i can only imagine you bought the wrong game.

• yhalothar says:

Really? I laughed with glee the first time I ran through the stadium (and the players) in the first level.
      The combination of driving physics, irreverence and brutality is what sells this game. German Carma had robots and newer Carmas had zombies in them, and both of these games felt neutered, somehow.

• Gusdor says:

My grandfather always worried about how I would be as a driver after watching me play Carmageddon (at age 9 :D ). He has seen me drive and is totally happy with the way things turned out.

Secretly though, I just want to mow half the peds I see down. Infact, peds are fine. God damn cyclists, GET UNDER MY WHEELS

kregg says:

I coudn’t disagree more. The game market is full of “OMG WE HAS ZOMBIES!!!!!!1111111111111111″ titles.

I actually bought Payday on the premise that it didn’t have zombies in the game, and that you could kill civilians as well as police (although you lose money for doing so, which is what I’d call fair)

PoulWrist says:

Carmageddon was meant as a piece of absurd comedy, not a serious take on anything :p Was pretty clear I think :p

AmateurScience says:

Just me then :)

I shall be hopefully be picking this up in any case, too many fond memories of running home at lunchtime at school to steal 30 minutes of vehicular slaughter over cheese sandwiches not to.

For the longest time I think we just played the demo repeatedly, I still remember the day we got the full game. Good times.

@Kregg That is a very good point re: zombies in everything now.

EDIT @PoulWrist Oh yes I know. I wasn’t criticising the game at all, just that I (at the time) didn’t really have the stomach for the uncensored version. Also I find it interesting that simply changing the colour of the blood had such a profound affect on my ability to enjoy the game.

• Lemming says:

Thematically, the zombies fitted more actually I thought. Not as funny, but they felt like they belonged.

• Gnarf says:

“Felt sick and wrong playing it when the things that I was running over were real humans”

I, uh. I played the videogame version with videogame-humans instead of real humans…

AmateurScience says:

@Gnarf You got me, I really meant virtual people of course.

OR DID I?!?!?!?

7. caddyB says:

I like the graphics.
    No, really.

RedViv says:

Aesthetics, I’d be more inclined to say. That’s something way more valuable than graphics.
      The more racing games with cars that actually look different and have a personality, the better. The real world has gone quite boring in that regard.

8. Flappybat says:

Damn guys, go with the crazy concept rather than a car made out of random blocks and spikes you can’t even see.

• StickyNavels says:

Lego Car is barely leading the polls right now, so register and vote for Doug’s design if you like the Angry Fish!

9. Eclipse says:

definitely needs bigger spikes

• Khemm says:

Agreed. I really like the current design, with bigger – or similar to those from Carm1, placed on top of the car – spikes, it would look perfect.

By the way, the new Eagle looks rather similar to Tumbler from Nolan’s Batman films.

10. Spacewalk says:

I like the angry fish one, with the fuck-off huge blade on the top but I really love the one from the screenshots with the steel plates bolted on the front it looks tough.

11. Bhazor says:

I just want to point out Stainless are basically the exact same team as when they shipped the first game. So yes this as true a sequel as you can get.

I love the ridiculous second design much more.

12. Baboonanza says:

But the original design is not outlandish at all, the massive spiked ‘handle’ works as an automatic self-righting mechanism for when you mad stuntz go horribly wrong.

The new one would just sit on it’s roof like a numpty: ‘The car lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its tires trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?’

13. Inigo says:

I can’t take half of these designs seriously because they keep reminding me of the SPC from Captain Scarlet.

14. MichaelPalin says:

C’mon!, just put the first two games on GoodOldGames, then you can make a remake if you want.

• Khemm says:

THIS.
      Why Carmageddon hasn’t made it to GOG yet is something I honestly don’t understand. Stainless own the rights to it and they would actually get some money to help fund this new project. Every dollar counts.

• LionsPhil says:

Maybe it’s blighted with technical problems running on modern machines that mean GOG aren’t happy to sell it without actual work being put into it. It was Win95-with-3D era, wasn’t it? Glide et. al. are long behind us.

15. Casimir's Blake says:

If they don’t have more crazy FMV of Max Damage while driving, I’ll be very disappointed. But I’ll still buy it. Seriously, I was always disappointed that they dropped that hilarious UI feature.

• Khemm says:

Go to their forums and let them know!

• StickyNavels says:

They actually had a poll relating to this. Might please you to know that votes for Real & Really Insane Actors were in a clear majority. Seems like Stainless are keen on listening to fans, so… :)

16. Tei says:

It need bigger spikes. But to be honest, the red car was my least favorite car.

I hope in this version we travel to Switzerland, and drive trough caves full of big cheese bals and humongous clocks.

17. Dhatz says:

even if it doesnt make it and they go for something as sexy as Carma2 Eagle, I want it as bonus or cheat car anyway.

18. JackDandy says:

This is goooood.

19. rebb says:

Oh god yes, more sexy new games from awesome franchises.

20. Frosty840 says:

Carmageddon-1-style interaction, where the bodies just SPLORTCH and then stay out of your way for the rest of the round sounds fine to me.

• YourMessageHere says:

I recall trying to play TDR2000 as if I were playing Carma 1 or 2 and repeatedly running out of time as the peds just wouldn’t die. Lunatic physics is all part and parcel of the games, to me, but we need pedestrians who get properly eviscerated when run over, even at fairly low speeds.

21. YourMessageHere says:

To me, the angular one looks like a Michael Bay-style Transformer that’s got stuck half way – and those STUPID wheels, with inch-deep tires that make it look like a train…it’s not intended to be a racing car, it’s an armoured murder machine that also goes fast. I don’t like it as a player car at all. However, it would be a delight to ram it into small pieces as an opponent car.

The fish-like one is much better; the profile version shown on the linked page is even better, as the fishcar above is too narrow, particularly the cockpit, while the other one looks like it ought to be more square-sectioned and generally broader.

However, how’s the Hawk coming? I never really used the eagle much.

22. lordfrikk says:

I’d like there to be the Vintage Eagle (“Angry Fish”) to be the default and possibility of obtaining the Modern Eagle (“Transformer”).

23. Bfox says:

I dont care if the car looks like a new age Transformer I just want to mow down people and wreck shit with crazy powerups.

24. ZX k1cka55 48K says:

Is it an iphone game, or why does it look so shitty and low poly / low res?
    Also GTA IV’s Euphoria Physics Engine should be a must have for this game.

• RogB says:

>>At least we finally have a first peek at roughly what the game will look like. Above is one of the proposed redesigns of classic Carma car The Eagle. That is in-game, albeit a “very, very early prototype” of Reincarnation – apparently the rendering engine’s already been replaced since then

25. Casimir's Blake says:

If they’re going to have a metal soundtrack again, may I humbly suggest:
    The Fucking Champs
    Iron Maiden
    Mastodon

26. Gandaug says:

I want this game. The Carmageddon games hold a very special place in my gaming history.

27. oldkc says:

I used to like the Purple/Pink car (in Carpocalypse) with the pumping speakers in the back that beat faster in relation to your speed. I liked the fact the car was moderately delicate- adding challenge, but damaged more like a real care (and imo, handled fantastically even in relation to its speed.). That car and the shitting great Big Rig… simple yet awesome, and it compensates for the fact that one of my favorite cars is a bit girlie…