Thank You For The Day Zero: Surviving In Day Z

By Jim Rossignol on May 10th, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

Quietly.
Day Z is the best thing I’ve played so far this year.

On my first go, I bled to death in the dark, alone on a forest trail.

I respawned on the beach. That’s where all the survivors start out, with a Makarov pistol, some cans of food, a shot of morphine, and few other supplies. Those wouldn’t last long.

My second attempt to stay alive in this brutal, zombie-infested version of Arma 2 was going to be a little slower. A little better considered. Or at least that’s what I insisted to myself. Sure, it’s a slightly broken alpha version of an unfinished mod of a game notorious for its wonkiness, but the challenge of it had already enthralled me. The potential for open-ended exploration, combat, and terror in the engine of a complex and sophisticated soldier sim were clear. The goal is simple: survive. And the chances of managing to do that are slim. Day Z (daze? daisy?) is a desperate, ruthless experience.

It was still dark – the game seems to have a 24hr day/night cycle – and I hoped that the shadows would give me some cover as I headed in-land. The vast Eastern European space that the soldier sim had created is now littered with supplies, and with zombies. An open world game of survival in a zombie apocalypse. A fantastic idea, made all the more compelling by a persistence of character, and permanent death. But what makes it all the more intense is that it is populated by players. They want to survive too. To not starve. To not bleed out. And they don’t all want to be friends.

I hiked up onto a ridge in the dark. Something glowed red in the forest ahead of me. Someone had set off a flare. Human activity! It could be a friend or foe, but it was hard to tell. I could ask on the global chat, but I already new that could bring merciless players down on me. I crept closer. Just the glow of the flare. No sign of anyone around.

Then I heard gunshots. Back down on the road, someone was firing a pistol. I crept down, closer, trying not to make too much noise. I moved behind some buildings, leaning out to see what was happening. I could make out dark shapes moving rapidly about in the road. Zombies. And the guy who had been shooting was already on the ground. I stepped closer and fired into the zombies. But more were behind me. I backed off, trying to reload. The shrieking, snarling creatures swarmed at me. I plunged forward, dead. I’d been alive less than ten minutes. Worse than my first outing.

Another attempt, this time with a random companion survivor from the beach, again ended in rapid misadventure. We were just two uncoordinated strangers, not saying much. We fled from some unseen assailant firing on us from the dark. With not enough bandages between us, and no decent weapons, we died after our third encounter with the undead. We bled to death in a doorway.

Now it was time to rope in a real-world friend. It was time to take this more seriously. To make a determined attempt to survive. Having joined the same sever, we’d have to try and find each other in the world. With no map or compass (these must be picked up in-game) that was going to tricky. We described our location to each other, and then set out to try and recognise the same landmarks. I saw the old industrial buildings he’d described against the dawn gloom. With some excitement I stood up and ran towards the location. Then the bullet came in. Someone else had been watching. Someone with a rifle.

I was dead. Ambushed by two or more players. Bandits. They were well armed. Assault rifles and camo-gear. Survivors were clearly their main prey. They’d pick over my corpse to resupply themselves. And I’d be back on the beach, with nothing. Bastards. I’d agreed with my chum that should one of us die, the other would stay nearby and hope their partner could return to that location. He would keep his head down, and try not to get killed. I trekked back to him, more cautiously this time. He watched me come in, skirting along the edge of the town. We try to get atop industrial buildings, and then, clumsily, I fell down a ladder and broke my legs. We climbed down to bandage me up and pump me full of morphine. And it was in this sorry state that we set out, limping into the world.

After travelling some distance, we both realised we needed to attend to real life, and so we hit one of the most impressive features of DayZ, which is its persistence. All the DayZ servers are connected to a central server which tracks the persistent achievements, inventory, and location of a character. By both logging out on the same spot, we could be sure we could log in together later on, and we could do so on any DayZ server, not just the one we’d spent some time in.

Later, when we came to resume our quest, we encountered the least appetizing feature of the game: the fact that all the servers are rammed full. 50 of 50 for everything in Europe. We had to wait for space to open up before the two of us could set out.

It was in-game daytime now, and we knew it would be essential to find weapons and food if we intended to survive for a long period of time. We headed down the coast to do just that. Then, after a couple of minutes, we encountered another survivor. A newbie from the beach. He turned to look at us.

We looked at him.

“Let’s take him out.” A snap decision, but a horrifying one. We murdered him under a tree. He tumbled down, flopping backwards in the grass. The corpse twitched and shuddered. “This is hideous.” A pause to look at what we’d done. “Just get his stuff.”

We agreed not to murder anyone else.

But such ethical decisions did not bode well. A few minutes later, as we searched for supplies along the outskirts of another town, we met another player. Within a few seconds he had gunned down my wingman. I hit the deck, and he must have lost sight of me. I rounded the building, and fired on him as he stooped to search the corpse of my slain chum. The pistol was crap. Weak and inaccurate. I was too far away. He got up and stumbled away, returning fire as he disappeared behind a tree. I lay there in the grass. Waiting. Had I killed him? Was he just waiting for me? I crept closer, and eventually saw the blood on his body. He was down. Ugly. I was wounded from one of the bullets he’d slung my way. I used my last bandage.

Fortunately, the respawn point for my chum hadn’t been too far away, and he was soon back at our location to continue. We looted the bandit, and looked around. Even this guy hadn’t had a better weapon. We decided it was best to head in-land, avoiding murdering coastal newbies, but also the bandits who were butchering them for supplies. Perhaps we’d find what we needed in less trafficked surroundings.

The hike was foreboding. The misty landscape stretched out around us, and flickering shadows in the trees looked like potential bandits. We knew we were prey to some of the 48 other people on the server. We had to be careful. We began to visually scout the buildings we encountered before getting closer. Covering each other, realising vaguely military tactics would be essential to keeping both of us alive. Occasionally there was the moan of a zombie. We were meticulous about not letting these get too close. They move quickly, and it can all be over suddenly. Our supplies were thin.

We moved at pace. Woods and valleys. Farms and villages. Eventually we found a small hide, the kind that hunters might use, and in it was our prize: an AK-47. Now we had a machinegun.

The next village’s zombies were going to go down fast. A few in a shack. And then a howling zombie priest. Headshots to conserve ammo. We found a flashlight, bullets, food. We were getting more confident.

We moved onwards, back down towards the larger towns that dominate the island.

We stopped and went prone. Who was that in the building ahead? And why was he hiding from us?

TO

BE

CONTINUED.

DayZ is a mod for Arma 2: Combined Operations. It’s a work in progress. There’s not that much to it right now, but as you’ve read, that hardly seems to matter. It can be found here. It’s regularly updated, and sometimes quite tricky to get working. There’s plenty of advice on the forums. Good luck.

, , , , , , .

1. f1x says:

Looks pretty interesting,
    makes me dream of a true zombie survival sandbox FPS, something like what Dead Island could’ve been, some more focused on actually, survival, rather than chopping zombie hip hop stars and bimbos

pd: I do like Dead Island tho, good fun

• HexagonalBolts says:

It seems so damn obvious though doens’t it – why are there not more games like this!?

• Enso says:

Exactly. Although many people say zombies are overdone I can’t tire of them yet because no one has achieved the dream yet. A truly harrowing, frightening, arduous zombie survival game.

This already looks brilliant and it’s still in early stages. I don’t know how possible it is but I hope for some new zombie behavior, like roaming packs. I don’t really want too much more focus brought in because in a real zombie apocalypse there is only survival. You have to create your own purpose for living.

• Blaaaaaaag says:

I am so sick of Zombies, yet I am so getting this tonight. ‘Bout damn time someone made this game.

• Amun says:

DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE MOTHER EFFIN SPAM BOTS.

Sorry, I just had to get that out of my system.

• f1x says:

But dont you want a controller?.. the price is more real! whatever that means

• f1x says:

edit: this was a reply to Enso

Aye, when I saw Fortnite from Epic I was excited but then I saw it was nothing like what I had in mind,

something like Left4dead but without you being forced to reach a goal at the end of the map
          and also with survival elements, finding food, finding weapons, limited amunition and weapon durability
          storing the food and ammo in a safe place, creating that safe place, being able to build/customize the safe place and all that salted with a scaling level of difficulty that would force you to eventually leave your safe place and find another because of resources being too far or whatever reason, being overrun by zombies, etc

the possiblities are endless only with the premise of survival sandbox, and around the concept of creating and defending a safe place within a dinamic sandbox open map it would also allow for a superb co-op experience

one can dream…

• HexagonalBolts says:

Exactly what I mean! and surely, SURELY it can’t be that hard to create…

• Enso says:

I’m not sure whether it is entirely a question of difficulty, although it’s definitely quite an undertaking. I think it’s also likely to be a question of money, money, money. Action packed games like Left For Dead and COD are clearly, and massively, more popular. ARMA is horribly unapproachable for many people.

• deadly.by.design says:

So, Minecraft, basically?

I kid, I kid…

• absolofdoom says:

Spammers!Do Better!!

• Ross Angus says:

Don’t you get the meta-joke here? It’s a mindless zombie of a spam bot.

• dontnormally says:

QUIT REPLYING TO THE SPAMBOTS.

(though the metahumour is indeed quite good)

• lijenstina says:

Sounds like a politician. Spreading bullshit for a quick money grab.

2. egg651 says:

Jim, why must you neglect us so :(

El_MUERkO says:

Been playing this for a week now… constantly. IT IS EPIC!

maninahat says:

Well that’s rather exciting – urbandead, FPS style.

Are there classes in the game, or are you just stuck with the same load outs?

• grtkbrandon says:

There are no classes or loadouts. You start with some supplies and a gun with rather limited ammunition. Finding more supplies is the object of the game, and thus, why there are no classes or loadouts. Each death is permanent, the zombies are dangerous, and the players are more dangerous.

5. Ross Angus says:

That’s my subscription value this month. Excellent article.

6. Dominic White says:

Day Z is bloody impressive. It’s only in alpha right now, but it’s one of the most atmospheric survival experiences out there. A roguelike semi-MMO zombie survival sim, like a 3D version of Project Zomboid.

The thing is that each server can only support 50 players. That’s 50 humans at any given time spread across an entire country, as the main Arma 2 map is beyond enormous. You can go for hours without ever seeing another living player.

The other night I joined a server where it was already nighttime. I’d spawned nowhere near a beach, or a road, or any sign of civilization, so I picked a direction and began trudging through the forest. I got lost. Very lost. I ended up panicking and climbing a small hill, throwing my few flares all around in order to try and attract maybe a helping hand.

Well, someone came along. Someone also lost – we teamed up together and started marching off. And then the rain hit. Heaviest rain I’ve ever seen in a game, almost blinding. The fog that was rolling in reduced visibility further. I stopped for a moment to take a drink, and when I looked back up, I couldn’t see my buddy. The weather was just too oppressive.

It took me almost an hour before I found any sign of life. A barn! A barn surrounded by corpses. And a few of the walking kind. I ran in there and quickly scavenged up some supplies, but a couple Z’s started climbing up to the upper level with me, so I shot them. Which alerted more. I’ve now got some supplies, but limited ammo and a mess of angry zombies after me, so I bolt out of the barn and run down the road. I eventually come to a church, where I seek cover and more gear, but I have to fight my way out again.

More zombies. Too many. I take a bad wound and start bleeding out. I clear out the enemies, and bandage myself up. More zombies. I take them out, too. I… realize I have no bandages, my vision is blurring, and I’m going to keel over soon. And then it starts raining again, hard as ever.

I throw my last flare down. Hopefully whoever finds my corpse will do better.

• Gabe McGrath says:

Congratulations Dominic,

I have no interest in military sims, and very very little interest in Zombie games.
      And yet….. what you’ve just explained really gets me excited.

If anything, it ticks a few of those magic S.T.A.L.K.E.R-esque boxes for me.
      Sounds amazing.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

This. Very much this. When the GSC team said they were making a STALKER mmo, I was hoping that it would be somewhat like what was described so lovingly by Jim.

• frypiggy says:

Thank you for that story. Well-written and very engaging. I don’t own Arma 2, and with Diablo 3 a couple days away I doubt I will. But, your little blurb along with the main article gave me a couple very interesting accounts. Very cool.

7. Ravelle says:

I spent the whole day walking down one road without any zombies or finding people, then I fractured my ankle while skipping over a fence and bled to death.

There’s also almost no way you can play this with friends because you spawn on the other side of the globe and it takes ages to cross that without a car.

• Dominic White says:

I’m fairly sure that not being able to casually group up with buddies and steamroll the game is a major part of the design. It’s meant to be a harsh survival sandbox where you never know whether that guy over there is a potential ally or a murderer.

• Ravelle says:

True but an hour of walking without action or interaction with anything is like playing Dear Esther with food and drinks. The map is huge and it’s like 20 minutes if not more minutes walking to the next town where there’s nothing to do.

• P7uen says:

I am also one of those who find the prospect of traipsing around for 20 minutes meeting no-one very exciting in a grim survivally sort of way.

However, “Dear Esther with food and drinks” made me do an office lol.

• Ross Angus says:

I read on Reddit (awkward phrase, sorry) that for every human you kill, you lose karma. Lose enough, and you get the bandid skin, and you’re fair game for anyone else to kill. If you manage to increase your karma enough, you get the default skin back. This is an excellent mechanic!

Smashbox says:

Very tragic story indeed.

8. Dominic White says:

Oh, one additional technical note: The current public version of Arma 2: OA is woefully out of date. It last updated end of last year, but the game has gotten near constant patches since then. Get the latest official build here:

It even adds some great new features like SMAA anti-aliasing, which costs almost nothing framerate-wise, meaning you can turn off the (hugely inefficient) in-game AA option and enjoy your zombies at higher framerates.

• Blaaaaaaag says:

I’m stupid and hoping you could clarify this a bit for me… I just got this off Steam, would I benefit from downloading one of these patches, and if so, which one? I suppose the one with the highest number, right?

Harlander says:

From the patch note:

Fixed: SelectPlayer in MP can break the Direct Chat or cause other MP issues.

Interesting.. a lot of people have been complaining about problems with Direct Chat in the mod. This might just fix it.

9. Drac40k says:

So…is it worth buying arma II just for this mod?

• Dominic White says:

A lot of people seem to think so. It’s a top-seller on Steam right now simply thanks to the mod.

But it’s a damn fine game even without Day Z. Best general soldier sim out there by a long shot.

Crimsoneer says:

Wow, I hadn’t noticed that. That’s pretty incredible.

• Phantoon says:

I tried Arma 2, and it turns out I hate Milsims. Tribes Ascend is currently my favorite game, and that’s at the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

But Day Z looks so good.

It’s like Solium Infernum- I’d PROBABLY enjoy it, but it’s still thirty bucks so I don’t wanna chance it.

• brulleks says:

“I tried Arma 2, and it turns out I hate Milsims.”

Crikey. I read that last word very wrong at first and thought this thread was in for the fiercest flame war ever seen on a games forum.

lowprices says:

Oh god, that needed to be worded more carefully.

• yrro says:

Note: you can save money by buying the “Arma X” bundle on Steam. It includes Combined Operations and also the two expansions, British Armed Forces and Private Military Company. Oh, and the original “Arma” (i.e., Operation Flashpoint) thrown in too. It is a couple of quid cheaper than just CO.

• Optimaximal says:

For the record, don’t get ARMA – Cold War Assault (a rebranded Operation Flashpoint) and ARMA confused.

• chuckles73 says:

Unless you’re in the U.S., since the X edition is $60 and CO is $30. (And if you already own ArmA2, then just buying the OA expansion is SUPPOSED to count as the CO edition, unless you’re unlucky and it doesn’t.)

Edit: Unless I log in, which gets me 20% off, apparently… How odd.

• njursten says:

Combined Operations is just running the game with the assets from both the regular game and and the expansion loaded at the same time. The expansion is stand-alone, or at least loads separately, that’s why there is a difference.

• scut says:

I’m glad you pointed out that Arma 2 jumped up in the sales charts due to this mod. Modding keeps old games relevant for years after, which in turn keeps studios running and in player’s minds long after initial sales drop off.

Watching CHKilroy’s LP of Day Z on youtube got me interested in this mod, which in turn has revived my interest in sandboxy shooters once more :)

• joebucksvoice says:

Definitely worth the buy for Dayz alone,but you also get a great game in Arma2, so think of it as extra gravy… and who doesn’t like gravy.

I wrote a survival guide if anyone is interested in checking that out: http://desolateshroud.blogspot.ca/

For now back to the zomb-pocalypse.

Cinek says:

I bought ArmA 2 for Day Z.
      I regret it ever since.
      It’s one of most buggy, crashing games with terrible net code. Plus: The Day Z servers are occupied so very much that in last week I managed to get online 3 times. While spending around 5 hours total on trying to get into Day Z servers.

Total Crap.

• joebucksvoice says:

Keep in mind this is the Alpha version of the mod, so there are going to be a few issues – Arma2′s stand alone net code is fine . You also can’t blame the developers for the popularity of the mod exploding this week.

10. wodin says:

I watched a superb and very funny Day Z youtube series made by some clan or other, I think I found the link on here. It is distressing though seeing blood squirt out of peoples backsides as they run along.

Crimsoneer says:

So, anybody know where the cheapest place to buy Operation Arrowhead is?

• Condemn says:

cheapest i’ve seen it so far is £9.95 at Gamersgate, is 50% at the mo, am hoping it’ll hold out till next friday when i get paid

If not, it’s £12.99 from getgames.

Both are downloads, but dunno if they register on steam.

• je66b says:

id like to point out that at gamesrocket it only costs 11 USD and some change but they make you go through a very sketchy “verification” process if you use paypal. have to show your passport and all that jazz, very odd… not entirely sure i want to commit to it, they have links for a refund though, americans bewaree

• Forsling says:

Doesn’t this mod require Arma 2: Combat Operations and not Operation Arrowhead? Their website says you need Arma 2: OA. Does it work with Arrowhead as well?

JB says:

Combat Operations is just the name of the pack with Arma 2 and OA in.

• Forsling says:

Ok thanks. Although I’m still not clear if I can play it with only Operation Arrowhead (since it’s standalone) without the original Arma 2.

JB says:

See Weed’s comment right below =)

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

• MrWeed says:

For this mod to work you need Combined Operations, that is ARMA 2 + ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead.

dbdkmezz says:

Whilst you do need Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead you don’t need to pay for Arma 2, there’s a free version of Arma 2 available on the official website. Combine that with OA (which you do have to buy) and you’re good to go.
        (Disclaimer: I’ve not actually tried this yet. But multiple places on the net have said this, so I’m pretty sure it’s right.)

12. Ayam says:

I had a pretty tense first time fending off zombies in the dark and tense gaming is highly enjoyable to me. I wasn’t keen on Arma 2 apart from the swell people who play in the RPS community, but Day Z has me playing Arma 2 again, which I really didn’t think would happen. Shame it’s so difficult to find a spot on servers on occasion, moreso after this great read, I would imagine! ;)

13. Adekan says:

A game I previously had no interest in, and am now intensely interested in. God damn it, RPS.

Seriously though, I can’t wait to hear the next part. Consider my attention gotten.

14. McDan says:

Holy crap, definetely reinstalling ARMA 2 for this, great article as well. Thanks Jim!

15. man-eater chimp says:

Suddenly I need to buy ARMA 2.

Dammit.

• Skabooga says:

I too find myself in a similar predicament. From the descriptions, it sounds like someone took my idealized version of a zombie game and actually went and made it.

16. jellydonut says:

EPIC!

Want.

17. Drake Sigar says:

Read this whole article as a Max Payne monologue, probably because I’ve been watching all the cutscenes on Youtube.

I’ve been playing Day Z for the last two weeks and couldn’t have been killed more than ten times, over half of those in the last 12 hours (I had a run of really bad luck!). I’ve been sniped by unseen bandits, besieged in a barn by fifty or so zombies, and brutally betrayed by newly met companions. I’ve ever had sweet satisfying revenge against some of them. All in all, my time on Day Z is an experience I’d never take back.

18. Love Albatross says:

Think how even more awesome this would be if it wasn’t using the shoddy arma engine.

Not that it ain’t a lot of fun anyway, but still.

• Dominic White says:

Suggest another engine that could even begin to handle MMO-like scale with dozens of players in a mod.

• Love Albatross says:

Don’t know? Maybe there is something, maybe not. The scale of the game world is arma’s big advantage and it is ideal for Day Z, but the godawful weapon handling and jerky movement bring it down.

Right now Day Z is mostly brilliant, but the moment you have to react quickly or – god forbid – enter a building it falls to pieces.

I’m mostly surprised no one has ever thought to make a game like this before. It seems so obvious and it’s taken a mod to do it.

• Dominic White says:

The weapon handling is fine, I think. It’s one of the few games that actually models the weapon as an object in 3D space attached to your avatar, rather than a floating projectile emitter that bears no relation to your actual viewpoint. It works a lot better if you turn up the aiming deadzone so that you can move your characters arms independently of your torso.

• sinister agent says:

Arma 2′s physical weapon modelling and large deadzone is something I’ve wanted and been disappointed in games for not providing for over a decade, since playing an abortive Unreal Tournament mod called Infiltration. Unfortunately it eventually went into a full scale rubbish Counterstrike-alike, but I still have an installer of an earlier version to load up every now and then for the fantastic feel of the guns.

I like the handling in Arma. The controls and UI in general are a weak point, but I think the handling of the guns is done far more realistically than in any other game I can think of – they’re awkward, bulky, and it takes skill and experience to use them even slightly effectively. Obviously that’s not what you want in all games, but it certainly has its place.

• hifibry says:

I believe your weapon handling is jerky due to your settings. Go into your options and turn off all mouse smoothing. Go into your graphics card options and make sure it’s not set to pre-render any frames ahead. The same applies for the ArmA2OA.cfg that can be found in Documents>MyGames>ArmA2. Look for “MaxFramesAhead” (with GPUDetectedFrames right below it) and change the value from 1000 (WHAT?!) to about 3. ENJOY YOUR UN-LAG

wengart says:

It does a really good job of giving you that vulnerability that Resident Evil games tried so hard to do, but without actually gimping your character.

felisc says:

I actually adore the fact that this is using arma 2 skeleton.

19. Vinraith says:

This looks absolutely amazing, and right up my alley. Thanks for the extensive write-up, Jim.

20. magicpanda says:

It’s absolutely fucking amazing. If you have played STALKER and loved it you need to play this.

mcnostril says:

Someone needs to use this mod as a basis for a Stalker mod.
      MAKE IT SO.

• magicpanda says:

If I have a tip. Stay away from the main coastal cities at first. The Bean Wars consume them.

Head out into the wilderness at the first opportunity and experience the game as it should be. Not deathmatch with zombies.

21. Kolodny says:

This narrative is horribly lacking in beans.

22. Sardukar says:

Yeah, this is quite interesting. Holding off buying the base game(s) since D3 is next door.

These are two of the better videos I’ve seen from DayZ :

The first is a pretty engaged wander-around with a team of guys. I choose Part 2 to start because it begins in the town:

The second…is playing Day Z with Arnold. Well, Doc Kimble, a man who sounds pretty much exactly like Arnold Schwarzennegger. You must hear it – it’s both uncanny and hilarious. He’s easily annoyed, which makes it all even better.:

• Droopy The Dog says:

Pseudo Arnold quotes of note –

“We get along, but if you kill me. I will destroy you!”
      “You idiot, you were supposed to follow me! I am the leader, you are the follower!”
      “STOP WHINING!.. Or we’ll leave you behind!”
      “Stop being a p*****y, get up! Don’t you die on me!”

Arnie must be an evil spirit, because he clearly has possessed that man with his hammy hillariousness.

[Edit] Imagine all of those quotes in Arnold Schwarzenegger’s exact voice, it really is uncanny.

• sinister agent says:

Thank you. That has made me laugh far too much. I wasn’t convinced at first, but he sounds more like him the longer it goes on.

• Sardukar says:

Really? It sounded like Arnie to me from the get-go. By the time he was yelling at himself for being a pussy, it was a little unreal. Albeit hilarious.

I also liked the bit in the first video where he’s asking his friend if he needs a mercy shot. And then the zombie jumps up and tries to eat him. And then his friend gets up one last time before succumbing. Great stuff.

• Splotch says:

Hahaha ahh holy fark that was amazing. Imagine running into him on a server. I would be laughing way too much to flee zombs. “Get down! There are zombies everywhere!” -Thats what he should have said.

Ah I want to see more of this guy!

Edit: Hahaha watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd52YYgaFUs

• cavalier says:

I watched the videos with kilroy and I am now absolutely sold on this game.

23. Hendar23 says:

I think you should pronounce it the American way ‘Day Zed’. I know, I know, the Bloody Colonials do violence to our language every day, but I think they are right about this one.

• elevown says:

Isnt that backwards? Here in the UK Z is pronounced ‘ZED’ and whenever i’ve heard americans saying it they say ‘ZEE’ – so you mean it should be pronounced the uk/european way – NOT the american way.

• Hendar23 says:

Well bugger, you’re right. I’ve been living in Canada too long! Thank Goodness I’m permanently back in the land of tea and scones soon. Sort me right out.

• Splotch says:

Yeah you just confused the plop out of me. Proper english thanks. Day Zed. Daized. Not daisy at all :)

• Thants says:

Canadians say Zed too.

• rockman29 says:

The British here seem positively confused about this matter…

We Canadians do indeed say Zed. Obviously someone dumped this guy somewhere in the US whilst telling him he was in Canadia.

24. Cael says:

Should mention that you need both Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead to play this. You can get them both on steam by buying Arma 2 Combined Operations.

25. Thoric says:

This is what MMOs should be about.

• PopeJamal says:

You mean meaningless cumbersome role-play?

• Unaco says:

Personally, I thought he meant player derived, free form events… not things scripted or coded by the Devs and ‘triggered’ by the players… rigid, pre-defined events, following a set linear (or branching) course. But, rather, events and situations that occur organically and play out dynamically, events that aren’t constricted by ‘what the Devs decided could happen’, but by what the players imagine is possible – events and situations that have not been plotted out previously, for players to follow.

It might not be your cup of tea, but plenty of others have been crying out for something like this.

felisc says:

DayZ is indeed the best thing i’ve played this year. It fills the stalker shaped hole in my heart with honey loveliness (yes.).

edit : this weekend i’ll definitely join the rps arma mumble or something. i’d love to play with some of you guys. just don’t try to take my winchester. you sneaky thieves.

27. psyk says:

Sweet, I have a feeling this is going to be an epic read.

28. Angel Dust says:

This is exactly what I’m hoping that Survivarium thingee is going to play like. For now though, I might just have to pick up a copy of ARMA, which I’ve been meaning to for a while now anyway.

• psyk says:

weeeee someone else can see what that game could be if done right.

CelticPixel says:

I really wasn’t supposed to spend any more cash on games this month after my Max Payne 3 pre-order, but I’ve seen some great videos about this and my money just kinda…flew out of my wallet.

30. Jimbo says:

If you get got by a zombie can you play on as a zombie (is that how zombies work? i forget) until you get killed by a non-zombie?

• Dominic White says:

Nope. Survivors are immune, so the zombies are just trying to kill you.

When you die, you die. Roll a new character in a random location and start from scratch. If you’re lucky, you can find your previous corpse.

• Barman1942 says:

To be fair, it’d be pretty boring playing as a zombie, considering the size of the map and that zombies shamble pretty slowly when not alerted.

31. Busty says:

This sort of thing is one of the last few interesting frontiers left in zombie-themed gaming.

You may disagree and accuse me of having a lack of imagination, but you would, of course, be wrong.

32. Hendar23 says:

I remember playing Quake in the 90′s and imagining what MMOs would be like. This is pretty much what I had in mind. Imagine how dissapointing the past decade has been for me.

33. BobbleHat says:

Do you need the Combined Ops part, or can it work with regular ArmA II?

• Dominic White says:

Combined ops required. OA runs on a much more advanced version of the engine, and it uses the main map from Arma 2.

An interesting aside is that there’s a Bohemia Interactive dev on the Day Z team, and he’s confirmed that the code already works on Arma 3, so expect to see this grow and grow.

• psyk says:

DAMN, oh well OA can’t be that much now days. Can just buy OA right? it dosen’t need the other things that come with CO

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, you can buy OA separately. It’s also the base for the British Armed Forces and PMC packs, which are pretty good campaigns.

• psyk says:

Thanking you. Good stuff, will have to have a look around see what route will be cheaper.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

That’s a shame, was hoping it would work with the vanilla ARMA 2 that GreenManGaming gave out a while back, hopefully this will keep trucking along and when a sale comes up on ARMA CO someone will remind us we should all buy it for this.

34. tlarn says:

If you want to see this game in action, try and find live streams of people playing it. It’s just not the same as watching a recorded video on Youtube or other video sites.

35. Jimbo says:

If you havin’ zombie problems I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems but eatin’ brains aint one.

AmateurScience says:

Day Zed? This sounds utterly absorbing.

JB says:

Day Z is great. I literally only posted my own thoughts on it earlier today. Players really are the main threat. It’s so much fun =)

38. sinister agent says:

They move quickly

Tsk.

JB says:

Normally, I’d be tsk-ing along with you. But it’s the only way the zed can be a threat in Day Z. The numbers you’d need for them to be dangerous while also being slow would make the servers implode.

Short reply: It just works.

39. Colej_uk says:

Day Z is absolutely superb.

It provides a gaming experience which I’ve been after for a long time. The aim is just ‘survival’– something STALKER did semi-successfully, but the multiplayer aspect to this is just pure genius and injects a genuine sense of paranoia & fear into everything you do.

Just the fact that it turns everyone who’s managed to survive longer than a few hours into distrusting paranoid nutcases should tell you what a special mod this is. The longer you survive, the more there is at stake Trust nobody.

40. Xari says:

This game is sickeningly addicting. I bought OA just for this a few days ago, already clocked at 12 hours played, despite having died like a dozen times already.

41. magicpanda says:

Stay away from the main coastal cities. The Bean Wars consume them.

Head out into the wilderness at the first chance you can and experience the game as it should be. Not some deathmatch with zombies.

42. Sarkhan Lol says:

“ltse kil him” – B0N3D00D

43. Shortwave says:

I seriously want to play this game but I can’t bring myself to buy it for one simple reason.
    I’ve never once been able to play my copy of Arma II for longer than an hour without it crashing on me.
    As much as I’d love to play the mod, I can’t justify paying more when I fear not ever being able to even finish a single game. Sucks. I swear Arma II just hates me. I try to play it tons, even play the zombie sandbox for Arma II. But it’s getting pretty tiring never being able to finish a game properly.

• cyb.tachyon says:

Try the beta patch for Arma 2 and see if that solves some of your problems (the last arma2, non OA one is near the bottom ARMA2_Build_86734.zip):

OA was glitchy for me until I installed the latest beta patch (in green at the very very top).

• Mattressi says:

From what I can tell, the Arma 2 beta patches (NOT OA patches, I mean default Arma 2) are obsolete, with the last one being incorporated into the later-released 1.11 patch. So I’m not sure if that will help.

44. Barman1942 says:

FYI: Climbing ladders with your pistol out is bugged. You take a step back at the top, resulting in you falling off. Either switch to your primary weapon or put your pistol in your pack. Also, there are helicopters out there that are supposed to be on fire, but the fire animation doesn’t show at the moment. If you enter the chopper, it’ll kill you.

But yeah, this mod is damned awesome, been playing with two other friends for a couple days now, just hiking across the beautiful Chernarus countryside.

• Snuffy the Evil says:

Better, you can press G (gear) as soon as you reach the top- that way you don’t have to give up your pistol if it’s all you have with you.

45. derbefrier says:

I did it i. I spent the 30 bucks on combined ops after watching this vid. gives a good idea of how it plays

shit looks badass will be a good way to kill the weekend before D3 launches i have always wanted something like this.

46. Moraven says:

Reminds me of buying Half-Life just to play Counterstrike in Beta. 2-3, whatever it was then.

Played UT for UT, but picked up on a lot of Mods.

Tribes had some unique mods also.

People buy Skyrim for mods. Developers, make your names moddable! It helps you make monies for free!

47. Col says:

Hey, has any one been playing this mod with one game steam and one game non-steam? Basically I have the steam version of Arma 2 already but need OA – does anyone know if it matters that my copy of OA would not be the steam version? Would I still be able to run this mod? Any advice would be appreciated, cheers!

48. Grawl says:

I just tried this, and it scared me, even though nothing happened. I’ll try again when it’s light outside.

Good read, hope to read more soon.

I’d like to team up with some people (GMT+1). Add me if you’re interested – http://steamcommunity.com/id/grawl

• MrWeed says:

If I may redirect you to here:
      steam://friends/joinchat/103582791429554934

That’s the RPS Steam group chat, you will find people willing to play Day Z there!

49. ukpanik says:

That was a great read. I was hoping your real world friend would kill you for the AK-47 tho ~_~
    I must try this mod.

50. Nimic says:

There is a very real possibility that this post alone (and as such this mod) is going to make me buy the game.