Squeal: Amnesia – A Machine For Pigs Trailer

By Adam Smith on June 15th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

The first footage for Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs all but confirms that the machine in question is not a belly-tickling porcine laughter factory, so there’s my hopes of a My Little Piglet friendship simulator dashed to bits against a dank wall. From Dear Esther developers The Chinese Room and Frictional, the game looks much more like The Dark Descent than I’d expected, wavering vision, cowering and hideous unseen hunters all being present and horribly incorrect. There are also outdoor areas though, which immediately gives me hope for greater variety in locations and maybe even a stronger adventure element. Could be very special.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Mimir says:

I assumed that the name “A Machine For Pigs” was a fancy metaphor for the world, based on earlier descriptions.

I was not expecting an actual machine operated by human/porcine hybrids.

• BooleanBob says:

I think I may be the only person who secretly likes the sound of the life described in Fitter Happier.

• rockman29 says:

Hard to say if the machine is being run by pigs or on pigs, I couldn’t tell at least… makes it more interesting!

2. hilltop says:

This is promising! I’ve been eager to revisit Amnesia.

Still haven’t played Dear Esther though. Will have to see to that…

• Derppy says:

It can hardly be played, you move slowly along a linear path, can admire the great graphics (on Source Engine standards) and hear an audio clip once in a while.

There’s a nice atmosphere and I’m not saying it isn’t worth the money, but don’t expect to get a real game out of it. Hopefully it doesn’t represent anything that’s about to come from the new Amnesia.

Hopefully The Chinese Room sticks to the elements that made the original Amnesia so great and merely creates a new story and environment for the game. I’d hate to see it go into more artsy direction, instead of trying to drive the player completely insane with sheer horror.

• SlappyBag says:

Dear Esther was an experiment that for really popular and had a graphical overhaul. It focuses on one aspect of storytelling in games and was a good success in that regard. Its almost like a tech demo.

But yeah, if you go in expecting more than that you’ll be disappointed.

• Valvarexart says:

Can’t say that I agree, really. While I agree that the story in Dear Esther was a bit on the weak side (with gameplay being close to non-existent), I can imagine that a similar, as you call it, “artsy” story combined with great gameplay and spiced up a bit could be quite amazing in the setting of the new Amnesia game.

3. Sinomatic says:

It says something about Amnesia that I found myself sitting far back in my chair before the trailer started.

I don’t know why, but thinking of outdoor areas and Amnesia makes me think of the Discworld Noir intro.

• Wreckdum says:

“Chances are I’ll end up with a saved game where I’m hidden inside a tiny room and quit every time something bashes on the door, just like I did with the original. Purchase new trousers of robust design in time for the Autumn release.”

Me too! lol I played the Amnesia demo. When the foot steps started chasing me in the water I quit. Then I bought the full game on the summer sale… Never installed it or played it… lol

And for comparison. I’ve deployed to Iraq multiple times as a soldier and as a private contractor. CANNOT PLAY THAT GAME.

4. MadTinkerer says:

I am mildly disappointed that there was not a jump-scare at the very end where there was just a few extra seconds of quiet darkness, but I guess that will teach me to try to guess ahead based purely on trailer runtime.

Also, it would probably make it seem too much like games-that-are-not-actually-scary-because-there’s-a-jump-scare-in-every-room-so-you-start-expecting-it. You know: like pretty much every “horror” game made by a AAA team in the last decade. That would be very un-Amnesia.

• Toberoth says:

Yeah I had kind of the same reaction, then I figured maybe they left those few extra seconds on the end just to tease us. Jump scares don’t really seem like their style, they’re more about creeping dread I guess.

5. Kynrael says:

I still have to finish the first one. It’s sitting on my virtual videogame shelf and I’m pretty sure it’s looking at me…

• Mr. Mister says:

You’re sure it is, but is it, actually?

• Fuzzball says:

It is looking at you, but is it really looking at you?

• Mr. Mister says:

And even if we can only reduce it to the possibility that it is looking at you, is it there to look at you?

6. MeestaNob says:

I think I bought the first game knowing I was too chicken to play it. Consequently I’ve chalked up about 20 minutes of play time, yet I’m OK with it knowing that a good developer got the cash.

• Sinomatic says:

I bought it knowing I’d never play it. I can’t do first person horror, it’s just too close to feeling like a nightmare for me. Still, I ‘played it’ vicariously watching other players playthroughs on youtube and had so much fun that I couldn’t not buy the game.

• Lucifalle says:

Same. I bought the game because I heard that it was impressive and I’m masochistically attracted to horror games… yet I’ve played it for barely half an hour. I never even got through the Silent Hill games… or Resident Evil. I’m a total wimp.

But the developers got the money, which I’m happy for, and I got enough scares watching Helloween4545 play the game through on YouTube.

In fact, that’s what I do with most horror games. I buy them, then watch someone else play them while screaming in my seat. I’m a back-seat horror gamer.

• Jockie says:

Same here, I need to ‘man’ up and get it played. I try to use little self-deception tricks to get me through frightening games.

One thing i’ve found that helps is to record scary games with fraps, and pretend I’m going to turn the footage into a Lets Play or something, it gives a bit of incentive to soldier on. Plus if you record your own squeals of fright you can mercilessly castigate your(pathetic)self.

When I played the VTM:Bloodlines haunted hotel level, I went into third person the whole time and jumped around like an idiot, focussing on the animation just enough to distract myself from my own terror.

• Toberoth says:

“One thing i’ve found that helps is to record scary games with fraps, and pretend I’m going to turn the footage into a Lets Play or something, it gives a bit of incentive to soldier on. Plus if you record your own squeals of fright you can mercilessely castigate your(pathetic)self.”

That’s a great idea! I might try it – I too am extremely terrified by Amnesia to the point that I’ve only put about fifteen minutes into it.

• Sinomatic says:

I got through the haunted hotel in third person and talking to a mate over steam (who found the whole thing hilarious, much as I had when watching Let’s Plays of Amnesia).

I can watch horror films all day and all night without so much as flinching or feeling uneasy, yet as soon as I’m in a game and have some agency? I’m looking for a sofa to hide and whimper behind.

• Jockie says:

I have a vague theory that it’s because we’re conditioned by games to expect a ‘power fantasy’, so when that feeling of power is replaced with helplessness its simply something we’re simply not used to. That’s why games like Amnesia are generally more effective than shock tactics of something jumping out on you (see Dead Space, Doom 3 etc).

Similarly with VtM, the enemy in the Haunted Hotel is incorporeal and we can’t actually do anything about them. Contrast it with the slightly creepy Nosferatu leaders base, sure it’s an insane asylum with a dark story, but at least we can hack up the assorted freaks with a fire-axe,

• hilltop says:

Forgive the pedantry, but it was the Malkavian’s house that was essentially an insane asylum. The Nosferatu base was the collection of tunnels beneath the city, the “warrens”, I believe.

Goodness I loved that game.

• Was Neurotic says:

I never finished Doom 3, or that new AvP game from a couple of years back, because they did my nerves in too much. And I almost gave up on VtM’s haunted hotel level. :D It’s all very funny, because normally I really like a good horry/ghost film.

• Birdman Tribe Leader says:

Yeah can I admit that I also found Doom 3 scary? I know it’s probably not the same level of quality of scare as Amnesia (which I have bought but has been on my virtual shelf for some time now), but the jump scares and perpetually grim atmosphere and constant scary machine noises did indeed make me feel scared.

And as much as the flashlight thing was a cheap trick and not realistic, I thought it worked. The fact that you couldn’t carry a flashlight and a gun at the same time meant that you were mostly walking around with the flashlight but when you saw an enemy, at that exact moment of greatest panic, you had to quickly switch to a weapon and then fire. Unlike in most horror FPSs, where you panic and unload all your bullets, you also had to perform this very slightly more complex task, which made the tension greater.

• Bluerps says:

Jup. Same here. I’ll probably buy Machine for Pigs and then won’t play that either.

I love horror, but it also has a strong effect on me. When I play a good horror game, or read a good horror story, I get a lingering feeling of terror that doesn’t leave me for days. Like some small, irrational part of me is not entirely convinced that all I’ve seen or read is entirely fictional.

7. povu says:

I’m pretty sure the Amnesia creature at the end of the Humble Bundle V trailer is from this game rather than The Dark Descent.

• Innovacious says:

No, its a brute from the original

• povu says:

Really? I thought it had this piece of metal or something that I didn’t recall seeing in The Dark Descent. Maybe I should check the trailer again…

8. Zarunil says:

I’ve gone through the Penumbras and Amnesia (and several underpants), and Frictional always brings it. This is an immediate pre-order for me. Nobody does horror quite the way Frictional does on the PC.

• Quarex says:

True, the Penumbra games were very well-crafted.

But, as I just wrote somewhere the other day, I would appreciate it if this game did away with the “unskippable/unalterable camera zoom/pan/blur” intro that literally made me so nauseous that I could not play Amnesia: The Dark Descent lest I throw up on my keyboard. I know I am not the only person who could not play it, but they did not seem interested in creating a “motion sick gamer” patch.

• Mr. Mister says:

Well, IMO the game is even more suited for you then: who wouldn’t puke at the sight of such aberrations?
        Plus I found the zoom a very useful yet not intrusive way for the game to tell you when it considered you were looking at a monster.

• Zarunil says:

Nausea: The Brown Ascent?

9. Shortwave says:

The idea of a crazy pig monster evil demon thing coming after me seems rather nice.
    I can’t wait.

• Mr. Mister says:

Homer Simpson is not scared of this game. Instead, he’s quite hungry for it.

10. The Sombrero Kid says:

must buy ofc.

11. povu says:

And that’s why you shouldn’t attack the zombie pigmen.

12. sky_in_flames says:

Seems like you’re gonna be hunted by the machine(s) throughout the game. Brings up memories of Nemesis lurking around any corner in RE or Pyramid Head in SH… but I guess there won’t be any weapons to fight back (just like in the original Amnesia).

Amnesia was one of the scariest games I ever played through (I don’t know how but I did it!).
    And now I can’t even persuade myself to play through Amnesia’s “Justine” DLC… which I installed recently… there’s no save option and that’s just too much for me, I guess…

• Mr. Mister says:

You could think of it as a “Hardcore” bonus level.
      One advice though: if you just skip the puzzles, you’ll pass a worse time.

13. zeroskill says:

They should bundle this with a six pack of underpants. Also: Manbearpig.

• Subject 706 says:

Or if you have small children, nick some of their diapers and tape them together.

14. Xardas Kane says:

I have played every horror game I’ve managed to get my hands on. Silent Hill, Resident Evil, the old Alone in the Dark, Fear, Dead Space, Fatal Frame, Undying, Condemned, Call of Cthulhu.

Amnesia is the only game that at some point I had to stop playing because I was too freaking scared to. The only game ever to scare me. Hell yes I am buying this!

• Mr. Mister says:

Oh, and one last thing: time doesn’t stop while reading the notes..

You could try playing (the first two games of) Penumbra on the meanwhile. They’re not quite as scary as Amnesia, but have a better and deeper story (in fact, the story is the reason why I say I like Penumbra more than Amnesia). Plus you could get a bit more used to the engine.

Oh, and one last thing: time doesn’t stop while reading the notes..

• Xardas Kane says:

Already through with them. Definitely not the refined experience that Amnesia was, but great games with fantastic atmosphere nonetheless. But Frictional are definitely better off without any combat in their games.

• Kaira- says:

Funny, Amnesia was one of the only horror games that I could play through without having to stop because it got too much on to my nerves. SH and FF especially get under my skin so badly that I can usually muster only few hours at a time before I have to stop.

• Xardas Kane says:

Well, I’ve always found what you can’t see scarier than monsters jumping out of the closet, and Amnesia’s sanity mechanic worked well to that end. Consequently, the one time when I just had to stop playing was in the sewers with the invisible monster. The game never managed to reach that peak again, because I already had a couple of chances to take a good look at the monsters and to discover some AI exploits, so by the end I was literally joking around while they were chasing me. But that sewer level… Man, Pyramidhead ain’t got nothing on that…

It was kind of similar with FF, which was my scariest game of all time before I tried Amnesia, but it never really managed to make me quit out of sheer horror :D

15. Cryo says:

It can smell bacon on your breath.

16. Vexing Vision says:

I am so going to buy this, and also I am so not going to play this.

17. Muzman says:

If they’re going to do towns these guys should do a Shadow over Innsmouth adaptation type thing just for the hell of it as well.

• sky_in_flames says:

Sounds like a very nice idea to me! The chase sequence through the hotel in CoC: DCotE was the most terrifying game event for me at that time…. I’d love to see what could be done with an Amnesia-style engine.

• Zarunil says:

CoC:DCotE was incredibly scary as well, despite the fact that by the time I played it, the graphics were seriously outdated. Goes to show that graphics isn’t everything.

The scariest games for me are the ones where the horror isn’t made of cheap sudden scares, but lingers over you like a terrifying presence.

• Muzman says:

All that wardrobe shoving and fumbling with latches was indeed made for this system.

18. stahlwerk says:

This is surely pigging my interest.

19. Dilapinated says:

I found the original Amnesia frustrating. But that’s because I couldn’t get out of that (*ing p*-*cket *it of a j* eating ***-party) dark room at the beginning. Grinding my face against walls for 20 minutes then giving up each time I try and play.

I don’t know why I’m so terrible at navigating via sound. I even tried it with headphones. No luck. ._.

• Mr. Mister says:

The one at the Wine Cellar, just where TotalBiscuit got stuck too?

I have a theory that it’s because you thought of that game as Half-life 2.

Spoiler: maaaoaaavrrremmmthhhhhhheooorpppouuuckkkkrrrs.

• Dilapinated says:

The very first room. Where text appears telling you to follow the stream. I always, always get lost.

I’ve watched playthroughs of the rest of the game. It looks fun. I just can’t access it.

20. ukpanik says:

Squeal like a pig boy “weeee weeeee ooughh”

21. AJ_Wings says:

The subtitle is already filling my head with disgusting imagery. :(

Good job Frictional.

22. golem09 says:

Anybody else expecting the soundtrack of this to consist of Pink Floyd songs?

23. kyrieee says:

Those pig noises are damn scary

24. Fox89 says:

Looks… like Amnesia! Time to buy more spare underpants.

Also kudos with the ‘Squeal’ in the headline. That is clever in three different ways.

25. Serenegoose says:

The character is called Oswald Mandus.

Ozzy Mandus? Really? I don’t suppose it’ll turn out that it’ll be his works we’ll be looking on, perhaps – his despair?

26. Shooop says:

I am becoming more determined to get over my distaste of “push/pull mouse to open things” control schemes and play the Penumbra and Amnesia games.

Someone grab a license for this engine and make a Call of Cthulhu game NOW. It must happen.