Excitable Archipelagos: Caribbean!

By Adam Smith on July 2nd, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

Games about pirates sometimes feel the need to exclaim their titles, as if rushing into a room and excitedly waving their arms, jumping up and down, screaming in your face. ‘Pirates’, they yell, spittle flecking your bewildered visage, ‘piiiiirates’! Or, in this case, they’re bellowing ‘Caribbean’, which makes it really hard for me to work out which vowel to elongate. I guess it would be ‘Caribbeaaaaaan’!. Anyway, Caaaaaribbean! is a newly announced game from Snowbird Game Studios of Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword, and it uses the same engine for a piratical game, with naval combat, boarding operations and sieges. More screenshots below.

Mount and Blade plus Pirates! seems like a very fine idea to me.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Discopanda says:

I like pirates. I like Mount and Blade! I think I will like this game.

2. Kandon Arc says:

Wow, I am definitely looking forward to this! I hope they look at Napoleon M&B for the cannons though, because that game made using them really intuitive. Can’t wait for boarding actions as well.

3. gladius2metal says:

4. bikkebakke says:

MYEEEEES, finally a new pirate game! How long I have waited for something like this.

• bob. says:

I hope there won’t be so many people pirating this game (well, that was easy…)

5. Kestilla says:

After replaying Warband a little while ago I longed for a real pirate game, and thought the engine was the perfect way to make that happen. I AM SO GLAD THIS IS HAPPENING.

I just hope it isn’t a gigantic flop like Fire & Sword was, or a multiplayer only affair like Napoleonic Wars.

• Stromko says:

My disappointment with Fire & Sword is the only reason I’m not excited by ‘Caribbean!’.

6. EPICTHEFAIL says:

Just noticed that THE FLAGS ARE POINTING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION! “Tiny details”, you might say, but this demonstrates that the devs actually care about making it realistic. Also, i can`t remember the last time i`ve seen an honest-to-goodness Clipper in a game. Good, devs, very good…

• viggecool says:

To me it looks like all the flags are just pointing straight forward.

• gilrain says:

They are sailing ships, yes? They move by the wind pushing them forward. The wind will always be moving faster than the ship, due to drag and whatnot. Therefore the flags should generally fly to the front of the ship. This looks “wrong” to us, today, as most ships are no longer powered by wind.

• viggecool says:

I know that, but these flags are probably static even if you turn the ship around.

7. abandonhope says:

Mount and Blade always felt a little dry to me. This seems much more wet.

8. rapier17 says:

Still feel sorry for Yoshiboy, a prominant M&B/Warband modder, who went to TW with the wish to get his mod, Pirates (Fishmod), licensed much like Napoleonic Wars has been*. They didn’t get back to him, which was a shame as he was sincerely one of the best modders M&B/Warband has seen (anyone who played the frankly marvellous Hunt mod, and knew of the Illustrious Rocket Corps, would agree, I’m sure). He contacted SiCH (WFaS expansion**) about getting the mod released as an official expansion and they said, and I quote Yoshiboy on this, “We got in contact with the WFAS publishers (Snowberry) and although they were very impressed with what we’d done, they felt they had to focus on fixing WFAS for the community.” …and look what they’re doing now…

It doesn’t look bad, better than WFaS, but I do wish TW had backed Yoshiboy – what he had done with the engine at the time was incredible.

*Which in itself was a shrewd move – get the most populated MP mod & cash-in.
    **This, amusingly, was taken from the idea of a Polish mod which is now called ‘The Deluge’ but was, originally, an M&B mod known as With Fire And Sword…

• wodin says:

Sounds alittle suspect to me…someone broaches them with a MOD for publishing..they say no…then bring out there own very similar game..

Anyway M&B F&S is the weakest of the M&B series. So I’m not expecting much.

• othello says:

Ideas are a dime a dozen. If they actually took assets and code from the mod, then there would be a problem. No one pays money for ideas though.

• SanguineAngel says:

In addition, given their support of the modding community in general I would suspect that it was quite likely they had this lined up already and so didn’t need his mod.

• rapier17 says:

When Yoshi approached them they’d just released WFaS hence their claim to not be interested in what he was doing & wanting to improve WFaS post-release (which they didn’t appear to bother doing). There are videos on youtube still of the Pirates mod dating from 2 years ago, as well as a video showing WIP boarding actions from a year ago, plus his mod has existed since the original M&B (2007 I think). Ideas may be in plentiful supply but two expansions that just so happen to be the same as two mods?

I just hate that TW gave an excellent modder the cold-shoulder when he’d created something so brilliant and well developed to go for another studio doing pretty much the exact same thing.

LTK says:

Screenshots with a 4:3 aspect ratio. How novel.

10. Lynchbread says:

Everyone check out the Ground Branch Kickstarter, we need to get this funded. It’s made by the people who made the original Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon, we must fund this.

• Funso Banjo says:

That is completely irrelevant. You should feel ashamed for posting that here, and if anything we should boycott the kickstarter because its fans aren’t bright enough to post in relevant places.

• Brun says:

This. Thanks for saving me $10 or however much they’re asking for by convincing me not to donate.

• abandonhope says:

Although the spam is unforgivable and the “we need to get this funded” argument certainly unconvincing, punishing a dev for an overzealous fan doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. I’m not defending the project, as I’m not a backer and do not care if anyone else is either.

• Funso Banjo says:

I checked the project.

The developer made an update post asking all followers to spam the project on facebook,l forums and blog posts.

They DID want their fans to do this.

• Vinraith says:

The relevant quote from the latest update being:

It is crucial that we get out there and get in front of as many people as possible. Make as much noise about Ground Branch as you can. Get out on as many message boards, news site, pod casts, twitter feeds and Facebook pages as you possibly can. Let everyone know about Ground Branch and why you support it.

There are a few ways to read that but yeah, it’s inevitable that a lot of folks are going to take it as “spam everything you can spam.” I doubt strongly that this was actually the dev’s intent, though, as they have to be aware that it would engender more hostility than support.

• abandonhope says:

Yeah, I highly doubt that spam is what the dev intended. Most project creators ask their backers to spread the word, so there’s nothing unusual there. Many are also careful to mention that backers shouldn’t spam or endlessly pester publications, as these things are widely understood to be counterproductive, illustrated nicely by the fail above.

• wodin says:

This was posted in another non relevant thread and I made a comment. You’ve also stopped me from donating…well done.

11. bongosabbath says:

I hope they fix the models’ faces. I really, really hope they fix their poor, smooshed faces.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Yarrr, ’tis the Carribean grog. Hellish strong stuff, it be. Dissolves the facial bones, makin’ the faces smooshed, and the voices piratey. Yarrr.

• Imperium says:

Graphics in general will be better closer to release date. Including character models :)

12. Xardas Kane says:

The name of the studio is Snowberry, not Snowbird.

Also, these guys lost some rep in my eyes with Fire and Sword. Not that it was bad, but it was hardly a step forward in any meaningful way for the franchise and it just made me eager to get my hands on Mount and Blade 2 that much more.

• Imperium says:

No, it says right — we’re Snowbird Games now :)

I hope you’ll like this one. It has far more new stuff than WFaS did.

Rikard Peterson says:

Cariiiiiiiibbean! Hope that helps. :)

Andy_Panthro says:

Since M&B: Warband (with the excellent Floris mod pack) is probably one of my most-played games ever, I will be looking forward to seeing more of this one.

• Xardas Kane says:

Warbands was made entirely by TaleWorlds, the developers behind this game have nothing to do with Warbands.

Andy_Panthro says:

Yes… I’m fully aware of that.

But as a big fan of Warband, I’m keen to play similar games (and I have also played the original M&B, and WFaS, and as stated above WFaS was made by these developers). A heavily modded Warband is the best of the bunch though, and the one I’ve put the most time into.

• Xardas Kane says:

Fair enough, just thought you might not have noticed it :) Like I said, i wasn’t too keen of WFaS. Even vanilla Warbands is the best one IMO, and mods just sweeten the deal :)

Andy_Panthro says:

After trying all three, I settled on Warband as the best. Then I tried a few mods, before deciding that the Floris pack was the best selection out there.

I’ve put so many hours into it, it’s an incredible game (and I think I paid less than £20 for the lot in a sale a long time ago…)

Really the only thing I didn’t like about vanilla warband was how easy it gets when you make a lot of money. Floris sorts all that, you really have to work for that big expensive army! Things like Freelancer and Diplomacy are nice too.

I had hoped WFaS would get more mods with time, but it seems like most people are sticking with Warband for now. I just really want to know when M&B2 will be released! (probably over a year or more tho)

15. RakeShark says:

Yaaarrrrr!

16. pupsikaso says:

I really hope they fix multiplayer for this game. Mount and Blade multiplayer was unbearable.

17. kulik says:

Not sure how well can M&B engine model damage but for a good see combat dynamic destruction of boat is essential imo.

18. Imperium says:

Hi guys! I’m part of the Snowbird Games studio.I just wanted to clear some things up concerning the development of the project

We and SiCh studio are closely cooperating with TaleWorlds. With their help we’re trying to make the most enjoyable and beautiful game based on M&B engine. Graphical side of the game will advance very much, that’s for sure. More details are coming soon.

You can read some additional info here: http://snowbirdgames.com/en/2012/07/%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B9-%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%82-%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%BD%D1%91%D0%BC-%D0%B8-%D0%BC%D0%B5%D1%87%D0%BE%D0%BC-2-%D0%BD%D0%B0-%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B1%D1%8B/

19. paddymaxson says:

Looks good, I’m glad they seem to have improved the character models a little bit too.

20. Universal Quitter says:

I don’t often feel this way, but I hope they put ‘intuitive’ and ‘fun’ over realism, when it comes to the ship-to-ship combat. Real naval warfare back then was VERY SLOW, and not much fun for the not-british.

21. dvorhagen says:

I don’t believe in hyperbole, so I will say this in the understated, stoic manner to which I am accustomed: This game will, without a doubt, be the most purely awesome creations ever to emerge, glistening, from the hallowed workshops of digital artifice.

• dvorhagen says:

Seriously, I’ve been waiting for a game like this for literally decades.

22. Baren says:

I just hope I can play the regular mount n blade warband Singleplayer that I’m used to but with friends this time!