Gift That Keeps On Gibbing: Hard Reset’s Free DLC

By Nathan Grayson on July 12th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Welcome to the jungle. Or, er, what's left of it, anyway.

Well, this sort of came out of nowhere – not that I’m complaining, mind you. After already waving its magically miserly wand and poofing our dusty old copies of Hard Reset into shiny Extended Editions for free, Flying Wild Hog’s seen fit to hand out yet another freebie. [Edit: It's actually the Extended Edition's content, but released as free DLC on Steam. Throw rotten vegetables at me, for I have been a fool.] Titled “Exile,” it’s available now and sends Major Fletcher into “the Barrens – dangerous lands beyond the last human city of Bezoar, where our hero will meet new foes and make new friends.” Friendship always was my favorite part of Hard Reset.

So then, what’s on the docket this time? Well, for zero item-obtaining monetary units, you get five new levels outside Bezoar, four new enemies, a new boss fight, two new survival maps, and more achievements – because objectives aren’t real unless they come with achievements.

I’m especially liking the sound of outdoor levels, seeing as Hard Reset’s dark cyberpunk cityscapes – though quite easy on even the least cybernetically enhanced of eyes – got a little same-y after a while. Also, Flying Wild Hog created a pretty magnificent engine, so it’ll be nice to see it flex its bulging graphical biceps on some happy little bushes and trees. Or, well, maybe some vines, anyway. I can’t think of too many dark cyberpunk worlds overflowing with lush vegetation.

Regardless, merely go here, open Steam, and the DLC will be yours. And if you don’t already own Hard Reset, well, it’s only $15. With the amount of post-launch content Flying Wild Hog’s pumped into its sleek, modern tribute to old-school shooting, there are far, far worse deals out there.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. TheIronSky says:

So now it won’t come to a mysteriously sudden stop? It will be worth putting on my hard drive again?

This is great news. Certainly worth the pennies I bought it for during that indie bundle.

• LionsPhil says:

My first thought was indeed “perhaps they’ve given it an actual ending now, rather than that bit where it just ran out of levels”.

• Henke says:

Hah, true. I finished it just a few weeks ago. And though I normally don’t skip cutscenes, towards the end of Hard Reset I certainly was doing just that. And after I hit ESC on one of these cutscenes (where someone was babbling on about godknowswhat) I was surprised to see the end credits start scrolling. What? Was that the last level I just played? Oh.

I guess I could’ve looked up the cutscene on YouTube, had I really cared about how the story ended.

Still a good game, mind you. The gameplay was fun and it looked GREAT. So it’s cool the devs are giving us more levels like this. :)

2. Mist says:

It makes me feel horrible, but I’m not going to buy this game at this low price, even though it would probably be worth it (loved the demo) and I’d want to support the developers, because there’s the possibility that it’s going on a 66% discount in the summersale or something.

Oh well. Nice about the free dlc, confirms my views on the developers. Makes me feel even worse :P

• sbs says:

I know the feeling, it’s going to be alright man. It’s going to be all right! You’ll be fine, seriously.

@ Hard Reset: Man this game was the biggest surprise. Beautiful game, and some of the purest, smoothest FPS combat I have ever seen. So much fun. I’m excited for this and probably will roll a new game for this. Although i am kind of scared of the higher difficulties I well feel obligated to try, when I do.

• grundus says:

It was a big surprise for me too because I’d read a lot of not-quite-negativity about how it’s almost, ALMOST a good game, then I bought one of the many Indie bundles a while back which had Hard Reset in it, I had a quick go and was extremely pleased with myself for not passing on the bundle after all because that game is amazing. The graphics are incredible for an indie game, there’s got to be at least 120,000 of the bloody things. Apart from the sprint mechanic the gameplay is excellent too and I love how things like the shop are integrated into the game. The atmosphere is incredible but I suspect it helps that I love Blade Runner and had watched it a few days before playing.

• RegisteredUser says:

Hard Reset is a good modern example of how to serve the PC with shooting the proper way.

The whole robot thing may be debateable(and the anytime save lack), but the aiming, unlimited guns, pickups, classic gameplay etc all are what make me rage so hard against the console port abominations that get laurels and headlined instead.

• sbs says:

Also: Secrets. Lots and lots of secrets.
          Think a painkiller with an rpg-ish upgrade mechanic that lacks just the right amount of depth :>

• f1x says:

Hum, I should give a try to this one, but yes I feel like waiting for that summersale, if it happens

on the other hand, kudos for free content, with this and ME3 free dlc, is it the start of a change of the tides?

• ShrikeMalakim says:

And it is. 75% off for the entire sale duration. I do highly recommend it.

3. Skeletor68 says:

I bought this in the Bundle so will dive in for some shooty goodness in the next few months, but am currently enjoying the delights of being completely new to TF2.

P.S. I hate spies.

4. mr.ioes says:

“Well, this sort of came out of nowhere” – No it didn’t.

Valve forgot about DLC, users reminded them, ~6 hours later it was found in cdr files, ~9 hours later it was available. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2797122

• TheIronSky says:

Well, you’re certainly on top of releases of obscure DLCs for obscure games by obscure-ish indie studios as uncovered on some strange thread hidden within the obscurities of the steampowered forums.

Hipster.

• mr.ioes says:

To be fair, this thread was originally in general discussion ;/

• Revisor says:

How can Valve “forget”? I bet they have a well thought out queue of store items to process, approve and upload and the possibility of “forgetting” is nigh zero.

It’s more likely it was delayed by either the dev or Valve for whatever reason.

5. Edawan says:

Now that’s good timing, I just started the game yesterday !

6. Memph says:

I never did finish Hard Reset. Got a few levels in on hard, but the graphical clutter all too often meant I could barely distinguish the shiny metal things I had to shoot from the shiny metal of literally everything else on screen. I certainly didn’t find it easy on the eye, at least in that regard. Then it got shoved back into the backlog. Nice to see it still supported though, may have to have another bash at it on a difficulty that doesn’t stamp on me quite so hard whilst i’m busy trying to see where i’m going..

7. Avish says:

I’ll give this (fun) game another shot when they’ll release a “Quick save” DLC.

Some people don’t have time to waste on playing the same portion of a game, over and over again, just because there is a nasty fight at the end of it.

• Dominic White says:

For all the complaints console games get about being ‘dumbed down’ or ‘too accessible’, there really is nothing softer than someone reliant on quicksaves. It’s really not unreasonable to ask the player to stay alive for a minute or two at a time.

Even without a magic ‘undo’ button, the game isn’t that hard.

• Avish says:

It’s not a matter of difficulty, but a matter of wasting precious time on replaying the same parts of a game over and over again.

• RegisteredUser says:

To be fair, the garage and endboss are quite a bit unusually out of balance with the rest of it and I myself raged incredibly hard that I couldn’t at least save halfway through a so-far “perfect run”.

Its not that you’re not up to the challenge; its that you’d like to skip the 15 out of 20 minutes you’ve already proven you can master in your sleep that you want a save function for.

• LionsPhil says:

I sure am soft for wanting to stop playing and resume later at an arbitrary point!

• InternetBatman says:

That’s silly. Redoing content isn’t an example of difficulty, it’s just a chore that pads out a game. In really hard, smart games, combat is like a puzzle that has to be figured out. In those games saving encourages experimentation and play, which is why they normally have really frequent checkpoints, saving outside of combat, or quicksaves.

In dumb ones its a big pile of mobs or a huge boss with endless hitpoints and a checkpoint. That’s not difficulty, that’s a masochistic Skinner box which sucks in rubes who think that suffering is a virtue.

• Juan Carlo says:

Nah, quicksave would ruin this game. The autosave points are done really, really, well. They give you just the right amount of challenge for each area. If this game had quicksave it would break it.

• Avish says:

The save points are some of the worst I’ve seen in this kind of game (shooters/action). There is too much distance between them. In some cases, you are are forced to play less challenging (boring) part again before you can give another shot at the better, more challenging and fun parts where you got yourself killed.

I believe that the design is good enough to allow quick saving or even more frequent save points .

I had fun playing hard reset but got bored and frustrated quite fast.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Agreed. The autosaves in Hard Reset should be a textbook case of how not to implement autosaves into a video game. They are spread way too far apart, and they lead to forced replays of huge swatches of the game.

I’d like the option to manually adjust the length between saves, but apparently that’s not going to happen as long as the devs have anything to say about it.

• LionsPhil says:

Indeed.

Although I dunno if it’s a bigger or lesser flaw than just how much of a lumbering, slothful, broken-knees hulk the protagonist is. Fast and fluid ’90s FPS it is not, despite how much people want to say “old skool”.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

That’s right. So very, very wrong. Those savepoints were nightmarishly horrible. If you’re going to have way-too-difficult drawn out bossfights that are huge difficulty spikes compared to the rest of the game you should at least put a save point after each phase. Or just allow quicksaves as mentioned earlier.

Was a fun game besides that, though.

8. povu says:

So is this the extended edition that was so famously delayed? I heard it was supposed to come out months ago.

But hey, free DLC, can’t complain. Good to see it’s out.

9. derbefrier says:

gonna buy this next time it goes on sale or sooner if i am bored one day and want something new to play

10. RegisteredUser says:

Just by the by, they used to sell this for money, seperately.
    They really must have been in quite dire straits financially when they released the game “cut down” then still had to sell the remainder of it to get somewhere.

Its such a shame, given that youknowwhatmanshootseries sells in multi-million dimensions for thrice as much.

• SkittleDiddler says:

What are you talking about, exactly? The DLC only costs additional money for those who didn’t buy the game before the extended edition came out. For old-school owners, the DLC is free.

• RegisteredUser says:

Yes. And now they changed it to free for everyone as I understand.
        I don’t think we’re in disagreement. :P

11. Totally heterosexual says:

I wish my comp could handle this. Looks right up my alley.

12. Juan Carlo says:

I was pleasantly surprised by this game after reading the mediocre reviews. It’s like “Serious Sam” only not as repetitive. Plus, on insane it’s really just the right amount of challenge.

• sbs says:

Don’t believe this man, Insane difficulty is really, really hard. It’s not one of those games where “normal” means “easy”.

13. Paul says:

Fantastic shooter. Already finished it and will definitely replay it now with all the new content.

You guys should give more credit to polish devs. They are fucking awesome. Releasing free content like that.

14. RegisteredUser says:

Hard Reset is on sale on steam right now for just 3,37 EUR, the full edition.

75% off!

GO BUY IT NOW!

15. pachubatinath says:

Actually felt the autosaves were perfectly placed; just far enough apart so that I trod carefully (not to mention tensely) when entering a room but didn’t scream, snarl and chuck my laptop out of the window at my repeated deaths.

The difficultly is in working out to best use your chosen combination of upgrades/weapons to take out your foes before they splatter you -levels like the Garage and the final Boss were hilarious fun because I kept having to go back and scratch my head as to what combo to use and when.

It really forces you to raise your game and overall skill level, especially tactical use of the sprint function. Eventually, I did manage the final boss first time, no deaths :) [but died earlier in the level so it doesn't count :( ]

Overall, I thought Hard Reset had a lot subtler, and balanced, mechanics than it got credit for.