So Then, Where’s Doom 4?

By Nathan Grayson on August 3rd, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

QuakeCon is basically a safari. People stalk through the halls of the Hilton Anatole in Dallas, Texas, tracing steps and leading packs of highly trained dogs in search of one mythical creature: Doom 4. Legends tell of a time many moons ago when its logo briefly appeared on a big screen, and in the moment, the hunt was on. So now I tip-toe through the case mod jungles of the BYOC, glancing every which way and– STOP. What’s that rustling around behind that row of NASA-grade supercomputers shaped like characters from My Little Pony? Could it be…? Oh, never mind. It’s just Big Foot. Nothing to see here. I have, however, picked up a few clues.

Hacking through jungles of tastefully sculpted potted plants, my journey eventually brought me face-to-face with id Software creative director Tim Willits. Parrots cawed and all manner of exotic fish wriggled and danced beneath a searing sun – somewhere on earth, presumably – as we spoke of the mysterious beast that is Doom 4. Willits was a kindly man, quick to laugh and even quicker to quip wittily. But he knew more than he let on. Behind his agreeable smile was a full-to-bursting dam of secrets.

So I’d gotten some intel about a Doom 3: BFG Edition feature known as “The Lost Mission,” and I had a hunch. Maybe, just maybe, the new levels – which are, in fact, newly created and not excavated from the ancient ruins of Doom 3′s development – somehow tie into Doom 4′s storyline. I liked Tim, but I was prepared to do whatever it took to make him talk. So I cracked my knuckles, furrowed my brow as though it were a cheetah ready to pounce, and struck violently with a series of polite questions.

RPS: You’re bundling together some new levels as a “Lost Mission.” But was it really lost back when you first made the game?

Willits: You mean, like, we designed it years ago and now we’re releasing it? No, it’s all new. But it’s made by the same guys. We had an opportunity – based on where everyone else was at id – for these [former Doom 3 designers] to go and make some cool Doom 3 maps.

RPS: And that’s leading the charge on the BFG Edition, right? Because, I mean, you actually have all the Dooms – which is really fun to say.

Willits: It’s all the Dooms.

RPS: All the Dooms! So is there any chance the Lost Mission ties into Doom 4? Like, storywise – as a lead-in?

Willits: [laughs] I can’t answer that question. That’s very much ‘Sorry, I can’t answer that question’ territory.

RPS: Curses. So close. Thanks anyway, though.

And then, they struck. PR reps descended upon us, waving their schedules and tapping their watches with bestial ferocity. “Well, it was great talking to you, Nathan,” Willits casually concluded with a look that said, “Run. I’ll hold them off.” Biting back tears, I did just that. I haven’t heard from him since – though I’d like to, because I want to ask him a few more questions about RAGE.

Ragged and weary from a mix of the elements and a Dishonored demo playthrough gone horribly awry (As a Tallboy put a poetic end to my power-drunk rampage, I rasped out one final breath: “The horror”), I stumbled into the not-actually-a-jungle compound of the Cult of Carmack. John Carmack himself took the stage, clad in his traditional ceremonial garb (a collared shirt and blue jeans), and the crowd fell completely silent. This was a place of the truest reverence. Bathed in a radiant orange light while his eyes darted with an almost childlike curiosity, he spoke.

“We’ve got the bulk of company on Doom 4, but it’ll be done when it’s done. We don’t want people to read more into than they should,” he proclaimed, referencing past communication breakdowns with games like RAGE. “As we showed [RAGE] year-after-year, we had a surprisingly large contingent of people that expected it to be like Fallout or Borderlands. And that hurt us in that it wasn’t long for an RPG – even if it was for a shooter.”

Even so, he reassured his adoring masses: This won’t be some out-of-left-field metamorphosis for the series. ”Everyone knows what Doom is. There’s shotguns and demons.”

And then Carmack’s grip on his composure loosened. Caught up in legitimately excited fervor (and slight illness), he let a few tidbits about Doom 4 slip. “We’re continuing to get better on the tactical gameplay level. Making that gritty feel – the punch of it. RAGE definitely has better punch [than Doom 3]. And we’ll continue to improve that [in Doom 4].”

“[Doom 3's] world was a shell, and not that much was interactive. So that’s another big thing for us going forward in the next game,” he added, noting however, that a focus on detail won’t keep the demonic shooter in development hell forever. “We’ve made a lot of mistakes [time-wise] already with Doom 4. But prioritizing things that help us get the game done faster is hugely important. We just can’t go another six years [like we did with RAGE].”

And, to drive that point home, he noted that id’s mobile division is currently on indefinite hold, as everyone’s now plugging away on Doom 4. “It’s not a grand slam sort of thing on there,” he explained. “The Bethesda family really is about swinging for the fences. I hope we get back on there, but it’s about blockbusters.” Further, he stated outright that “RAGE 2′s not a top priority.”

He continued to talk for hours, never missing a beat and entrancing his audience – myself included – with a nearly primal rhythm. Rocket ships, VR helmets, optical position tracking, measures of latency, calibration matrices, chipsets, gamma-corrected interpolation, ray-tracing, rastorization, and so on and so on and so on. It was like being in some kind of brain-straining fever dream. Everyone came away knowing so much more, yet also feeling acutely aware of how little they actually knew.

So my Doom 4 safari was – for yet another year – largely fruitless, but I came away hopeful. Doom 4 is real, and John Carmack raises the average IQ of any room he’s in by an amount that he’s probably made an infallible algorithm to calculate. The status quo, in other words, holds strong. But Doom’s 20th anniversary is next year, and id’s scrambling to roll out the red carpet. Something is stirring. And when it finally emerges, I’ll be ready to travel back into this untamed land of madness and interrogate everyone about what they’d ask a Cacodemon if it could talk.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Brosepholis says:

I think you mean RastErisation?

• tambjo says:

I highly recommend this product because i have used it and it is displaying TV channels with awesome quality in my PC and laptop and it is also cheap.
      You can get 1000′s of TV Channels on Your PC or laptop for 5$ .Visit satellitetelevisionlive

• stupid_mcgee says:

Yeah, bit of a quibble, but I was going to say the same thing. Rasterisation is the wanted word. Or rasterization for us Americanized folks.

2. arrjayjee says:

I want a Doom that is all action and heavy metal gore horror. Doom 3 was nice, but there weren’t enough enemies at a time, and the enemies they had weren’t very interesting. Remember when the Imps crawled along the walls to ambush you the first time? They never actually did that in combat, only in cut-scenes.

But Carmack seems to know what hit and what missed and is looking to rectify it with 4. I can’t wait.

3. felisc says:

i wish Rage 2 were a bit of a priority too. I enjoyed the first one and would love a better sequel (with less car races, though).

• Njordsk says:

I’m with you on that one.

Car races sucked, but everything else was top-notch. Oh and that environnement design…

• kzrkp says:

Yes and yes. I want another Rage, but without the terrible car stuff. The cars felt like strange magnetic slot cars with no real physics to them. If they’d done something like emulate the HL2 buggy it’d have been sweet. Rage lacked in physics all around and I love physics toys.

• stupid_mcgee says:

I liked the car mechanics and all, but it kind of ruined the gameplay, IMO. You had this big world, and then they parsed it down into pathways for the car to drive on. It made sense to help implement the driving mechanic, but it kind of made driving pointless. You just drove from one place to the other, rather than really exploring.

RAGE was fun in a lot of ways, but it fell kind of flat in a few others. I think iD just got caught up in the engine and sort of had to reinvent RAGE’s gameplay as they developed and refined the overall game design.

A sequel could be cool, but I hope they try to make it more open-world rather than a series of missions connected via racetrack.

• Slurpy says:

Funny, it was exactly the opposite for me. Driving was the only thing that kept me playing at all, I eventually quit at some point in one of the dungeons (yes, I grew up playing RPGs) when I just got bored.

• Lord Byte says:

I’d rather have them fix the first one. They just dumped it after a few patches and heaps of people are still waiting for it to work properly, over two different pc’s and two different graphics cards (ati and nvidia) and it’s still acting up.

• Nic Clapper says:

Yea I just recently played through Rage for the 1st time — thought it was great. The guns felt really good and the environments were generally awesome. Was expecting the texturing to be really bad after everything I heard, but honestly up close it didn’t look lower res then most other games. All games pretty much look like that up close, only they don’t also have the benefit of non-repeating textures. Its kinda spoiled me on level design really — so much variance in texture and shapes — makes other games look really boxy heh. I dunno, I was impressed (ended up taking like 800 screenshots heh).

Main complaint is that there maybe wasn’t enough gunplay, since that was so good. And a few of the sounds were pretty obnoxious (like the horns in the races, or the stomping sound of the spiderbot). Also was def too easy. Played on nightmare, and while it felt OK it seemed like that should be the normal difficulty. My friend told me he got bored paying Rage…I later noticed he played on easy and blew through the game super quick — of course you were bored! Heh…people need to realize not having a challenge is going to make something boring.

• PenGunn says:

Rage was stupid easy. Doubtless for the console children. I played well over half the game on nightmare without getting killed.

Stupid easy.

I blame Willets. A good level designer a terrible art director.

• Nic Clapper says:

I had a good laugh when the scientist guy suggested I go get a defibulator upgrade so I’d have a “chance” of surviving.

• felisc says:

“Main complaint is that there maybe wasn’t enough gunplay”
        exactly ! They should have kept this game a real fps, because the gunplay feels great. It’s not often I can say “the shotgun is fantastic” in a recent game.
        It’s strange how “few” fights there are.

4. MuscleHorse says:

I’m one of the few people who liked Doom 3 and its expansion. Having said that, I’d love Doom 4 to have more in common with 2.

5. Hmm-Hmm. says:

So, any opinions by the Hivemind on Rage?

• Njordsk says:

overal a solid game.

• Claidheamh says:

Overall an enjoyable game, but not “solid” by any stretch of imagination. There are still plenty of technical problems. :P

• CrookedLittleVein says:

A bitter disappointment.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Sadly I agree. I stopped playing it shortly after the Zeppelin ride due to boredom.

• Sinkytown says:

Rage fuckin’ sux!

Such unfocused design, features creeping in everywhere. A total shame, as the enemies were brill and would’ve been a riot to fight in a leaner, meaner game.

Fucking RPG elements introducing busywork into every action game, jeez.

• djbriandamage says:

id makes some of my favourite games of all time but I thought Rage was a turd.

• faelnor says:

a short FPS made of too few yet very enjoyable and competent post-apo shooting missions, pieced together using lengthy, bland and mostly boring vehicular sections. It also doesn’t have an ending. It just… ends.

• Text_Fish says:

Overall it’s a good game and worth playing through for moments of brilliant balls-to-the-wall shootery, but it’s also let down by shoehorned RPG elements and boring hub levels full of NPCs that take way too long to get to the bloody point.

• Demievil says:

Rage to this day, still runs like balls on a PC that it really should not even with .ini tweaks

• Nic Clapper says:

Sucks to hear that — but people shouldn’t assume this will be the case for everyone. Ran great on my setup…and its really quite old.

Also to the op I thought the game was great. Had its negatives but environments were amazing and gunplay was really satisfying. Would be nice it they did a 2nd one and improved on what they started with here.

• Roshin says:

Great character design, wonderful animations, beautiful visuals, and the shooty bits feels solid. Negative points? The world is pretty, but interaction is almost non-existent, ie you can look at it, but that’s pretty much it. Mission design is dull (go here, kill dudes), content gets recycled a lot (I’m going there again? I just cleared it out!), and there’s way too much driving.

Go in with no expectations and I think you’ll enjoy it. I certainly did. A pity there hasn’t been any DLC or expansion.

• Shooop says:

A great magician and lousy game.

It hints at such a great, vibrant world you’d love to explore but just funnels you through one-way corridors instead.

• reggiep says:

Strip out the gunning, brilliant character design and awesome mutant combat animations and plunk it into another game that has more freedom and open-endedness, and then there might be magic. The super linearity of RAGE (you never even need to jump), tedious driving and RPG elements make it rather awful and frustrating to play.

• Petethegoat says:

I’m playing Rage at the moment and generally enjoying it, but the jumping. I don’t know why the even included a jump key, there are invisible barriers everywhere, on every single thing you might want to jump over, and they’re there for no good reason. It is infuriating.

• zeroskill says:

Playing Rage right now. Having mixed feelings about it. It seems to me, the game doesn’t really know what it wants to be. Shooter, racer, RPG…

• stupid_mcgee says:

Yeah, that’s how I felt, too. It’s like they wanted to have an open-world feel, but they didn’t have the time to do an actual open-world game, so they just tied everything around a racetrack course. The shooting is incredibly fun, the enemy AI is actually challenging, the weapons felt very solid, and tll the assets were well designed. I just wish I could go back to previous hideouts and have them be repopulated, but it all felt a bit linear and there was never any reason to backtrack. Which, I felt, was kind of a waste to potentially expand the game a bit more and provide a time-sink. I also had nothing but problems trying to get a good co-op game going.

• SkittleDiddler says:

A solid Shooter, but a horrible Video Game.

• Frantics says:

It’s a real good shooter looks great cool atmosphere in the towns, amazing stuff imo! Shooting feels nice. The car multiplayer is fun too really great if you’re not looking for quake 3.

• grundus says:

On the whole I really enjoyed it, the shooting felt great, the graphics were good as long as you didn’t get too close and it was the perfect length, any longer and I would’ve gotten bored.

However the ending was SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT! I remember getting what was supposed to be the the best gun in the game (or best ammo for a gun, I can’t remember) and thought ‘ooh, better save that for when I really need it’ and then never ended up needing it. So disappointed.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

There’s the core of a really good game in there- and while I certainly liked it well enough, it could have been a really great game instead of just okay. The shoot-y mechanics are nice, and quite a lot of fun. All the guns are well designed and enjoyable to use, there’s a nice variety of things to blow up, and the places in which you can do it are entertainingly varied. But much of the game’s focus winds up being on the much-less-fun driving aspect of things instead. There’s not much -wrong- with the driving per se, it’s just not great. And you have to spend a lot of time doing it, and even on hard there’s very little challenge to it (and I’m bad at racers). The art direction is actually pretty awesome, but the engine just isn’t ready, and even with a fair amount of tweaking the textures still looked like some late 90′s 256×256 maps.

6. Stochastic says:

It’s going to be interesting to see how this compares to other shooters at the time of its releases. id looks like they’re going to eschew many of the de facto standards of contemporary shooters (e.g. iron sights), but I don’t think they can just tread the same ground again and turn the graphics-o-meter knob to 11. Really, a lot of it is going to boil down to the gun mechanics and the “feel” of the game (is that what Carmack is referring to when he talks about the punchiness?); also, enemy behavior and variety will be important.

BTW, does anyone know if they’re going to be targeting next-gen consoles with this?

• PoulWrist says:

That would be what he means yeah. And it’s very doubtful that next generation consoles are in the equation for a 2013 game. They’re not due out that early.

7. lijenstina says:

Or translated: We screwed a bit with a new franchise time to dust out an old one.
    Anyway, I wish them well. However, they need some kind of creative spark to go beyond making just solid games into making great ones.

• asshibbitty says:

What they need is a good writer. Or just someone who’s not a drooling retard. Maybe they can hire Gillen, how cool would that be?

8. asshibbitty says:

Fuck yes. Can’t wait to play Doom 4 in Windows 8 on my sweet Alienware rig. Rock on, fagits.

• Stochastic says:

You seem to have broken my sarcasm detector.

• 69stabcat says:

shut up idiot alienware makes crappy computers and window$ 8 sux the steam guy said so already

• PUKED says:

Is this real life?

• stupid_mcgee says:

lol I ask myself this question often.

• PopeJamal says:

Don’t sweat it, the school children are just coming back for classes. It’s that time of the year again.
            Alas, summer break is almost over. :(

9. Forceflow says:

Any full length video of Carmack’s keynote?

• Perjoss says:

I was just thinking the same thing. I watched one of his recent keynote things and even though I only understood about 25% of what he was talking about I could not stop watching, he has a way about him like its not just a job for him, sometimes he’s too honest too but in a good way.

10. golem09 says:

Rage.

I ragequitted it after I was forced to not only use badly controlled vehicles to pointlessly get from one “open world spot” to the next, but even fight enemies and race against them.
    Maybe I’ll try again. But GOD I hated those stupid things.

11. Surlywombat says:

Wait.. there was a Doom 3!?

12. Sinkytown says:

FOR THE ATTENTION OF ID SOFTWARE:

Doom 4 opens with an unnamed space marine waking in an abandoned barracks. He exits the building to find a dead body, pump-action shotgun clutched to its chest.

The unnamed Marine takes the weapon, then pumps it before intoning to himself: “Looks like that guy wasn’t a bad enough dude.”

Thrash soundtrack by Slayer starts playing as the camera pulls out to reveal a room full of demon freakbeasts. Then, 12 hours of breathless, terrified demon carnage.

• Gusj says:

I’ll add on to this. Every time you die you’re transported to the start of the level with only the pistol, just like in the originals. When you locate the place you died you’ll find a dead marine with all the weapons you collected. “Looks like he wasn’t a bad enough dude etc”
      It’s the challenge of the old games with a little bit of forgiveness added on to it, and Dark Souls.

• Totally heterosexual says:

NOSTALGIA IS THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE GOOD GAMES

• soldant says:

No. The metal tracks were the worst in Doom. The best levels were the ones without the RRRRRRRAWR HEAVY METAL HEADBANGING GRRRRRRRR music blaring in your ears. We don’t need another Serious Sam where you move from arena to arena to kill 100 enemies. We need it to go back to being space marine vs demons with interesting level design with an identifiable story but nothing too heavy. And no monster closets.

• Casimir's Blake says:

Level design is a lost art.

These days games seem to be composed of one of three things: sandboxes, randomly generated (sandboxes / levels), or “corridors”. Compelling hand-crafted level design trumps all of these things. The only game series that still bothers to do this is… Mario?

Rest in piece Looking Glass. :(

• ResonanceCascade says:

Speaking of, does anyone know what’s up with the Looking Glass retrospective at Quakecon? Streaming link or some such?

• MistyMike says:

What metal are you people going on about? Doom had friggin’ midi tracks, it takes a lot of imagination to call them metal (even if they stole the Master of Puppets riff on level one).

• DrGonzo says:

Yes, this. No plot, nothing at all please. Just shooting things in the face relentlessly until the game ends.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Yep, Doom 4 should have Slayer. And, specifically, South of Heaven.

The clowns above are enemies of metal and should be sacrificed on the frostbitten cliffs of Mount Necrodoom to appease Wodan.

• Baines says:

Maybe they should do a Rise of the Triad-style remake of Doom/Doom 2, with all the new bells and whistles recreating all the old layout and action. Then use what they learned/remembered in the process to make Doom 4.

• PopeJamal says:

Why do you people insist on heavy metal music everywhere?

13. Gwilym says:

RAGE’s combat absolutely did not have more punch than Doom 3 – it felt completely identical (i.e. shit). The various weapons made things slightly more interesting, and I suppose there was more movement involved, but the basic act of shooting the enemies was every bit as stilted and awkward. The two games both have a lot of good things going for them (as well as a lot of stuff that should’ve been deleted), but that fundamental aspect is just not very good in either.

This isn’t something they can get right through iteration; they need to look more carefully at which of their games are actually still fun to play. It’s easy to paint nostalgia as the reason more people replay Doom 1 and 2 than they do 3*, but I believe it’s because they have a satisfying and easily understood rhythm that just hasn’t been matched since. Quake 2 and Painkiller both came incredibly close, so I’m sure it can be done in 3D. It just somehow hasn’t.

*I have no actual evidence for this

• HellHitZ says:

RAGE’s combat absolutely had more punch than Doom 3′s. Actually, it had more punch than (almost) any game this (console) generation, making it way more satisfactory to play than most FPSs out there. Military shooters (particularly CoD) are especially dull in that regard, the weapons simply have no punch and, in CoD’s case, you barely need to aim precisely. To be perfectly honest, the fantastic feel of the weapons was the only thing that kept me going, because the game didn’t really have anything else particularly interesting…

The weapon’s punchiness comes from a myriad of factors, but the 2 most important IMO are weapon kickback and enemy reaction. RAGE has those 2 pretty much nailed down, if they can make it even better for Doom 4 than colour me impressed.

I’m sure this is one of those “to each his own” cases, I just felt like putting my opinion out there so you know someone out there thinks differently about RAGE’s combat.

• DrGonzo says:

I agree, Rage felt very meaty. I thought it was a solid game all around. It just had nothing to make it shine. Old id games were full of personality, the sprites/3d models and sound effects stuck in your head for decades to come. The new stuff is solid but instantly forgettable.

• Dervish says:

Rage’s gunfire sounds are significantly better than Doom 3′s as well.

• Mungrul says:

Rage’s weapons did indeed feel meaty, but the problem with id games is that when they include a shotgun, I’m always wishing it’ll be like the shotgun from Doom, but it never is. That shotgun is the best shotgun ever, and has never been bettered.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Agreed. It had that satisfying ‘cloonk!!’ and a lovely mechanical sounding reload. Loved running up to imps and knocking them out point blank. The chaingun was always oddly quiet and floofy though. Maybe it was just my sound setup. Also BOUNCY GRENADES

14. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I’d like to see a picture of a brow (just one? the other relaxed? unibrow?) furrowed “as though it were a cheetah ready to pounce”!

15. mckertis says:

“id Software creative director Tim Willits”

You can forget about a good game from iD while that guy is in charge.

16. VIP0R says:

I wonder what DooM4 would be like if John Romero was on board.

• Gwilym says:

I still quietly hope for a reunion announcement every single QuakeCon

• mazzoli says:

Daikatana

• Mctittles says:

Daikatana was Romero trying to make the entire game by himself. You need the whole team together doing what they do best in order for it to work.

17. internisus says:

I really hope Doom 4 has more in the way of Doom 3′s awesome computer interfaces and PDA stuff. That was my favorite part; I guess I wanted it to be an adventure game or something.

• Mctittles says:

I’ve yet to see another game do interactive computer interfaces as well as doom 3 did. They look so crisp and seamlessly integrate into the world.

18. Didden says:

id need Doom 4 to make some decent money after the release of Rage.

19. derbefrier says:

w00t Doom 4. hopefully they keep it old school and dont modernize it too much (by that i mean stupid RPG elements, only 2 or 3 enemies at a time, only being able to carry a couple guns, regenerating health etc..)

20. Iskariot says:

Doom 3 was a real looker for its time. Great graphics, good design of levels and monsters.
    But gameplay was horrible. It was like going back in time. The predictable spawning of virtually AI-less enemies got boring after 30 minutes.
    ID should invest more in high quality gameplay. Shooters have changed a lot since Doom 2 and when they created Doom 3 they apparently had not realized that yet. I hope this has changed now. If so, Doom 4 could become something special. If not, it will be all looks and effects just like Doom 3 with little else to show.

• qrter says:

Doom 3 didn’t look great, not even then. NPC’s looked like their skin was made from rubber.

Half-Life 2, which came out at about the same time, looked a lot better – not because of the Source engine, but because of art design. It had colour and variation, which Doom 3 sorely lacked (and which Doom 1 and 2 did have, btw).

Agree on the gameplay, although it was a Doom game, so that kind of gameplay was to be expected.

• mckertis says:

Most of DooM3 textures were really, REALLY low-res. Everything was done with shaders and bump. If you turn all that off, and amp the textures – it looks godawful.

• zeroskill says:

Doom needs only one colour. Red. Doom 3 lacked even that.

• zeroskill says:

Well, Doom 3 wasn’t a bad game. But it just wasn’t Doom. And to be honest, if Doom 4 would find it’s way back to it’s roots, I would be really surprised. I don’t think iD has the balls to make another real Doom game.

Cover-based insta-healthregen shootergallery with the Doom name tagged on it incoming. Calling it.

“Shooters have changed a lot since Doom 2 and when they created Doom 3 they apparently had not realized that yet.”

There is no such thing as outdated gameplay. Dota 2 is living proof of that. Dota 2′s gameplay mechanics are as old-school as possible, and it’s unbelievably popular. Maybe iD should think about that. That is, if they want to make a true PC game and not something they can market to 14 year old kids on the Xboxes, which is actually very probable. A real Doom “remake” would sell ungodly amounts on the PC.

• soldant says:

You can have outdated gameplay. A straight Doom shooter these days would be pretty boring. Strip away the character from Serious Sam, and that’s what you’d get – battle fatigue where all you do is fight. People calling for the arena-area slaughterfests are forgetting that even Doom had pacing so long as you weren’t speed-running, and some of the best user maps understood that.

• crizzyeyes says:

Doom’s game design holds up today, and that’s why I still enjoy it (nostalgia-goggles free, I promise you), but it depends entirely on what level you play. That’s why even as a kid I used the Doom95 launcher to jump around the levels at will, playing whatever I felt like at the time. I had favorites and I had levels I avoided, but I just about never went through the entire game sequentially from start to finish. Sandy Peterson typically designed levels that might be fun, but had absolutely no cohesion and looked like ass. John Romero’s Knee Deep in the Dead is a great set of levels. And so on.
          Many modern shooters aren’t really shooters at their core — Call of Duty hopes to impress you with cinematics and shocking too-close-to-reality scenarios primarily, and games like Deus Ex: HR and Mass Effect are really RPGs borrowing shooter elements rather than vice versa. Gears of War takes a step in the right direction with their enemy design, but falls flat in terms of level design and pacing, and injects a heavy dose of “poorly-written story.”
          I think id believed that a shooter, stripped down to its purist elements (which would be enemy and level design, IMO) would not be enough for modern gamers. But id has always tried to focus on gameplay first and foremost (with the possible exception of Doom 3), so they decided to mix in gameplay from other genres, and it didn’t work out. I hope they realize what they’re best at, because I thought they were getting close to their element again with quite a few of the RAGE shooting missions.

21. TheIronSky says:

Obligatory “It will come out after Duke Nukem Forever Pikmin 3!” comment.

22. Hardmood says:

an new hexen or heretic would be much more fun. especially if its pimped to much more rpg rather than shooter.
    hexen would be really nice.

23. mrwonko says:

“[Doom 3's] world was a shell, and not that much was interactive. So that’s another big thing for us going forward in the next game,” – wasn’t he referring to Rage when he said that? That’s how I remember it from the livestream… Good watch, by the way. (Though I did stop watching after 3.5 hours at 3 am during the Q&A – I’ve got to sleep, too!)

24. Moonracer says:

Doom 3 was enough of a disappointment that they will have a lot of work convincing me to try a new one.

25. SuperNashwanPower says:

“Everyone came away knowing so much more, yet also feeling acutely aware of how little they actually knew.”

Ah. The come-down from the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

• Mctittles says:

Had to look that up. From reading the wiki entry, it appears to me the definition of Dunning–Kruger is also an example of itself.

“Us here Dunning and Kruger have found that the stupid peons have a false illusion of superiority, so we have created a definition for this illusion that lesser people get which we have in turned named after ourselves.”

• Hidden_7 says:

Not quite. It’s not that “stupid” people have a false sense of “superiority.” It’s that the your evaluation of your skill/knowledge in any given field is inversely correlated to how skilled/knowledgeable you actually are. That is, the less you know about something, the more you THINK you know about it. Because you don’t know enough about it to know how little you truly know. Once you pick up a little knowledge/skill in something, you can see the depth of the field properly, and how out of it you really are, and so your estimation of your skill in it plummets.

Dunning and Kruger naming an effect they discovered after themselves may be construed as a little vain (though it’s not exactly an uncommon practice), but it’s not an example of Dunning-Kruger at work.

A good example would be with an involved game like Dota. You pick it up because you hear it’s neat, and you go some rounds against easy bots. You start to win a few. Start to win more than you lose. This isn’t so hard, you think. If someone asked you how good you were at Dota you’d rate yourself maybe like a 7. You’re doing alright, some room for improvement, but you got a handle on this.

Then you actually go online, and play against humans. And you get worked. People are doing things you don’t even know what. You start reading up on wikis, watching tutorials to see how to play, because obviously you’re missing something. The true complexity of the game reveals itself to you. You spend a couple of weeks really studying the game, practicing, getting better. You’re now much better than you were when you were playing against bots, but when asked to rate yourself you’d give yourself maybe a 3, because you know exactly how far you have to go.

That’s Dunning-Kruger, not just a confluence of stupidity and smugness.

26. Xerian says:

I was one of those people whom loved both Doom 3 and Rage. Sure, Rage’s world was alot like a shell (Whereas I wouldnt say Doom’s was a shell all that much.. You sure he didnt mean Rage?) Anyway, I am definitely looking forward to both Doom 4 and Rage 2. I’d love if Doom 4 was a mix of the more horror-esque Doom 3 and some of its interaction and extra-features, aswell as some of the customization of Rage (buying weapons, upgrades, armour etc.), the weapons-handling of Rage, but the enemy-amount of Doom 2. (I’d also love the enemies being much like those in Rage, just abit… “More”, especially when it comes to them reacting to your gunshots.)

27. kpi says:

Magnificent writing style, Nathan. Even though I didn’t care much about the content of this article, I loved reading it!