Outta Dunwall: Thief Remake The Dark Mod Updates

By Alec Meer on October 22nd, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Must have been rats?

With Dishonored reactivating long-dormant stealth glands the world over, now seems a fine time to revisit perhaps its primary ancestor, the Thief games. Doom 3 total conversion The Dark Mod is a mightily ambitious attempt to recreate Thief – its mechanics if not its actual missions – in a more modern, and very much darkness-orientated, engine. It’s just had a major update and a promising new mission added too.

I’m going to insert a ‘Read the rest of this entry’ link now, if that’s okay.

The changelog is enormous, but I suggest you have a gander to get a sense of the scale of this update. If you’re not sure what to do with yourself now you’ve completed Dishonored four different ways, this is quite likely the most sensible next port of call (well, other than fresh air and exercise).

As well as ‘dozens’ of new art assets and bugfixes, headline new stuff is:

Richer audio: TDM 1.08 should provide a much more immersive sound experience. We’ve added over 200 new impact sounds, as well as two new vocal sets. Many things that used to be silent now make appropriate noises. Falling bodies now make impact sounds, arrows have sound as they whiz past you, and AI make rustling noises as they move based on what they’re wearing.

AI Improvements: The lightning-fast reactions of AI have been toned down, so that they don’t leap immediately to combat after a half-second glimpse of you down the street. AI now react to things getting thrown at them, and can be knocked out by heavy things
being dropped on their head. AI are smarter about using elevators and will use them while searching now. Several new AI character models have been added, including the Builder Acolyte and the Elite Citywatch.

Additionally: The Training Mission has been revamped by Bikerdude for 1.08, with a few new sections and beautiful improvements to the visuals. The team’s second demo mission, The Tears of St. Lucia, has also been updated for 1.08 and is now included with the mod by default.

Bikerdude!

Of course, out of the box the mod doesn’t last too long, but fan-made missions are the key to extending that. So, also new on the Dark Mod scene is a new user mission that the mod’s team reckon could rapidly become the community’s favourite. FInd out about and download grayman’s In The North right here.

I must play this. I will play this. But first, I need to go put on a mask and kill some dogs.

Download the Dark Mod here – though be aware you need a working Doom 3 installation too. Alas, it appears the ‘new’ Doom 3 BFG edition won’t do the trick – but with the Doom 3 source code due to be released for free soon, hopefully a standalone version of TDM is on the cards.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , .

1. phelix says:

This mod is utterly brilliant, thank you for paying attention to it.

2. Shortwave says:

Steam refunded BFG without question because the game sucks.
    Just so everyone knows!

I’m however very likely going to just repurchase the -old- version now.
    Theif games were amazing and I didn’t even know this existed.
    Thanks dude, this looks brilliant.

• Deadly Habit says:

I’m surprised we haven’t seen anything on here about the BFG edition, especially with how bad it is compared to the original.

• phelix says:

Can anyone enlighten me why the BFG edition is so bad?

• Dominic White says:

It’s a half-assed port from consoles of a half-assed port of the original PC version TO consoles, with baked-in lighting (instead of dynamic everything), little to no mod support and a very cut-down options menu.

Also, the included version of Doom 2 is censored to cut out all direct references to Wolfenstein and anything that could be mistaken for being nazi-related, and all versions of Doom have had the health items replaced with pills, because we’re apparently not using red crosses to indicate health anymore.

• Herzog says:

Plus the multiplayer is P2P now. Not that there would have been a big revival of D3 mp, but still totally shit :D

• dE says:

Oh the Red Cross thing is so god damn funny. It hasn’t been used in games for a while though. That’s because the Red Cross doesn’t want to be associated with violent war crime games (yes, they’re serious), and see the use of their Logo in those as a violation of their intellectual property.

• Harlander says:

The Red Cross complained about the use of red crosses, I recall.

http://www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=16637&tid=001 for example

• tomeoftom says:

Whoah.

• woodsey says:

Doesn’t The Red Cross takes its name from the symbol, not the other way around?

• fish99 says:

How on earth did they manage that? And why? Surely you just take the PC Doom 3 code, add proper widescreen support (pretty much the only thing it’s missing IIRC), and add the new content. It’s a sad day when id are shoveling out bad console ports.

• TsunamiWombat says:

That Red Cross bit is funny. Someone needs to make a game about a stereotypical FPS character being put on trial after the end of his/her game. It could talk about the definitions of enemy combatents, force you to choose arguments, etc.

Then in the end you shoot your way out anyway.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

This game already exists, and is called Spec Ops: The Line.

• belgand says:

Nope. AFAIK the Red Cross actually took it’s name and symbol from an inversion of the Swiss flag, where they are headquartered. This actually has made me think that it should be reversed yet again. Who’s going to complain? The Swiss? Oh… that would actually be rather frightening. Of the people I don’t want to mess with the Swiss are pretty high on the list.

• Delusibeta says:

From what I can tell, the “problem” is that it’s a straight port with most of the advanced options and mod support removed. While that’s great for consoles (the original only had an Xbox version), it’s more evidence that id no longer cares about PCs.

• Dominic White says:

They actually managed to balls up some aspects of the console-to-console update, too. The split-screen co-op mode? Gone.

• dE says:

I read Horror Stories about hardcoding FOV at 60. But I don’t have it, so I can’t test it.

• Kaira- says:

Luckily BFG is going to get a GPL’d release so we can hope the community picks up and patches some features from the original codebase back to the BFG-version.

• aepervius says:

The red cross can and do complain when “red crosses” are used. but change it to green crosses and they cannot complain. Much easier than to replace by other models.

“In 2006, the Canadian Red Cross issued a press release asking video game makers to stop using the red cross in their games; it is an especially common sight to see first aid kits and other items which restore the player character’s health marked with a red cross.[12]

In order to avoid this conflict, a green cross is often used as a generic alternative.”

• jamsxn656 says:

Huh… And I was just listening to this:

• BoZo says:

It sucks!? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I was looking forward to replaying it with the Oculus… I was one of the select few who actually enjoyed Doom 3, however the expansion was vastly superior.

• Emeraude says:

What troubles me most about that whole fiasco is the removal of the original Doom 3 from DD sales (If what I heard is right).

I mean, one of the few good points I was conceding to DD was free access to older software freed from the tyranny of shelf life.

3. MuscleHorse says:

More Thief is always, always welcome.

4. bill says:

Is it a remake? The mod looks great, but I don’t know about the content. I was under the impresion it was more of a toolset and there were just a collection of individual levels various people had made. Is that wrong?

That might be ok too – more thief is always welcome – but thief without the story, characters and cutscenes is only half the game.

• Javier-de-Ass says:

most of the levels have a story to them. don’t think any are remakes of levels from the thief games though, or I can’t remember seeing any remake levels.

• Poliphilo says:

It’s not a remake, and you’d be surprised at how good the Fan Missions can be (or rather, are). Have a look here:

It’s worth keeping in mind most of these modders (/designers) now have more experience designing Thief missions than much of the original Looking Glass team. Of course it will take time to make entire multi-mission campaigns, but nothing should stop you from trying out some of these excellent missions, because I guarantee it’s much more than “half the Thief experience”.

5. Thysios says:

Dishonoured reviving the stealth Genre?
    I think Mark of the Ninja needs some love. That game has much better stealth mechanics.

I choked a guy in dishonoured while he was half way through a conversation with another guard. The other guy kept the conversation going as if nothing happened. I even choked the guy mid sentence.

• JackShandy says:

I’ve just started playing Mark, and I can’t stand the extrinsic rewards. You hide bodies because it gives you 250 Stealth Points, not because you want to make sure they aren’t discovered.

• atticus says:

Maybe it doesn’t appeal to you, but as I recall from the things I’ve read about ancient warfare and mortal combat in eastern Asia, this is a pretty faithful recreation of what it was all about.

Was it not Sun Tzu who said the famous words; “In times of peace, gather power-ups”?

• Felixader says:

I think you can shut it off that the points for your actions are showing. I am not sure about it though. Btw i was one of the apparently few who bougth the game on the 360, we are not all ignorant pf quality. X-P

• Jason Moyer says:

I didn’t realize the stealth genre really needed reviving. There have been tons of games with great stealth over the years, even if we’ll never get the likes of Thief 1 again. Hell, Arkane’s previous 2 titles had satisfying stealth play if you chose to play them that way.

6. Crazy Horse says:

I really should finish this game. Just having the devil’s time of it trying to get it to run at all.

7. Alextended says:

Yeah, it’s not a remake, it is its own thing. Though I guess someone somewhere will probably make some remake missions. It hasn’t happened yet afaik. Waiting for the stand alone release, don’t really wanna install Doom 3 again, and fixing occuring by that time are going to be welcome too, some early versions annoyed me in some ways.

8. x1501 says:

“[W]ith the Doom 3 source code due to be released for free soon, hopefully a standalone version of TDM is on the cards.”

The source code for Doom 3 was released under the GPL back in 2011. It’s the Doom 3 BFG source code that will be released soon, according to a recent ‘tweet’ from John Carmack.

9. db1331 says:

I’m so glad I saw this when I did. I was just about to toss out a bunch of rubbish games, or games I also own a digital copy of. Doom 3 was on that list (Rubbish). Looks like I’ll need to hang onto it a bit longer.

10. fish99 says:

As it happens I just finished my latest Thief Gold playthrough last night (and immediately started Thief 2). I think that’s the first time I finished it on expert too. If you never played it, it still holds up well today and the recent patches (see the Thief forum at http://www.ttlg.com) fix any issues it had on a modern OS.

• db1331 says:

Expert is the only way to play. I love seeing that huge list of objectives at the start of each mission and slowly ticking each one off as I pick my way through the level.

11. peschi says:

its a great mod, but be aware, its not exactly like Thief. For example the knockouts must be done at a certain angle at the head if they are wearing an helmet.

12. TwoToes says:

wonder if it’ll support the oculus rift

Comment on this story