THQ Doomsday Update: Sega, Crytek, Others Reveal Plans

By Nathan Grayson on January 25th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

THQ is dead. Long live… er, not THQ. But its motionless remains haven’t gone undisturbed. A number of major publishers descended, vulture-like, to make off with the choicest cuts money could buy. And also Homefront. Yesterday, however, we had no idea what exactly was next for the likes of Metro, Saints Row, Company of Heroes, Darksiders, and South Park. Sure, they’ve found new homes, but will they fit in? Or will they be forced to live in the cramped cupboards of neglect, with nary a wizarding school in sight? Well, it’s still a bit early to say for sure, but – based on comments from each publisher – things are at least looking up.

Are you ready for some highly pleased videogame executive quotes? Of course you are. You live for them. So let’s take it from the top. First up, here’s Sega on Relic. In short, Company of Heroes 2 is safe, and the once-upon-a-time console behemoth has no plans to move Relic away from our platform of choice. Specifically, the publisher claims to have snapped up Relic in order to “further reinforce PC game development capabilities in the U.S. and European regions.” Hey Sega, you know what’d help you do that? Like, a lot? Another Dawn of War. And also Homeworld. Just do it.

For Crytek and Homefront 2, meanwhile, it’s pretty much business as usual. “From day one, the Homefront 2 team has been committed to creating a game that takes the series to new heights and features the level of quality and innovation associated with Crytek,” said GM Nick Button-Brown. “Nothing has changed with regards our development of the game, and we look forward to sharing the finished product with players.”

Next up, Ubisoft. The newly (sorta) PC-friendly behemoth gobbled up both South Park and Assassin’s Creed creator Patrice Désilets’ mysterious “1666″ project. Now, though, Ubisoft’s voicing uncertainty over whether or not Désilets himself will eagle-leap back into Ubisoft’s conveniently placed hay bale of a heart. Further, it sounds like South Park’s facing a delay, with Ubisoft banishing it from March to “calendar year 2013.”

Things are looking significantly better for Metro and Saints Row – both of which will continue uninterrupted under the supervision of Koch Media and Deep Silver. Yes, Dead-Island-torso-shaped-controversy-lightning-rod Deep Silver. That in mind, Saints Row’s holy-grail-hammering antics are actually a pretty good fit, I suppose. Also in the good news category: both Volition and 4A Games will continue development duties on their respective games. So, pending any layoffs or what have you, all’s well.

Sadly, not everyone made it out of THQ’s megaton crash unscathed. Darksiders developer Vigil received zero bids and has, as a result, been shut down completely. Naturally, Japanese action guru Platinum Games then expressed interest in the Darksiders license. So I suppose that’s something. But this thoroughly heartbreaking goodbye from Vigil’s lead combat designer is evidence that “something” wasn’t quite enough.

So that’s pretty much the whole of it – at least, for now. Even so, everyone’s now in “transition” mode, so expect more fallout in the coming weeks. Fingers crossed that more layoffs aren’t on the way, but – to be perfectly honest – I’m not getting my hopes up.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. plugmonkey says:

Gutted for Vigil.

I’m guessing the awkward truth is that the bidding publishers already have too many studios only just scraping past a million sales.

• MSJ says:

At least Platinum has said they are offering jobs to ex-Vigil staff. So even if they do not get Darksiders, the devs will still have jobs.

• Shuck says:

Whenever you hear about a studio “offering jobs” to the employees of a closed studio, it’s only a tiny fraction of the people losing their jobs that will potentially get offers. Unless a company is looking to start up a whole new development studio, they just don’t have that many positions to fill. In this case, only a small handful of devs will get job offers at best, and even fewer will accept. Vigil is in Texas and Platinum is in Japan. I can’t see many people wanting to make that move. Unless Platinum is looking to open a new studio in Austin (which it doesn’t sound like they are), this was more of a symbolic gesture.

• tyren says:

The best reasons I’ve heard were that Vigil was working on a new game but it was in the early development stages, meaning no one could have picked it up and released a game in a few months with almost no effort on their part, and that the game being worked on was a new IP, notoriously chancy to risk money on.

Sucks. =/

2. Ansob says:

What happened to the news that South Park Studios were blocking the sale of Stick of Truth: http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/22/3903622/south-park-studios-objects-thq-stick-of-truth-sale

Have they now changed their minds and let it go ahead?

• Lars Westergren says:

Seems the court denied the objection since the sale went ahead. But they might try to appeal that. I really really hope the game won’t get stuck in court limbo, that would be tragic.

• RedViv says:

Obsidian – the unluckiest, biggest, still living studio of this era.

• Lars Westergren says:

Yeah…

From what I’ve heard on forums, mostly from C2B at Penny Arcade, they’ve had at least these cancelled titles that sounded very promising:

- The Aliens RPG: Almost done, cancelled by Sega.
          - The World of Darkness RPG (Vampire: Bloodlines spiritual sequel?) that they were going to do together with White Wolf, but then WW got bought up by CCP and it was cancelled in favour of yet another bloody MMO (now on ice, or if it still being worked on, a tiny team).
          - The dark mature RPG commissioned by Disney. Chris Avellone said Brian Mitsoda was on fire and created a fantastic script loosely based on Snow White, but then Disney changed their mind and cancelled the whole thing.
          - Baldur’s Gate 3, where the publisher showed interest and they spent months creating a pitch with the overarching plot and world, and then the publisher basically went “Looks great but actually we never had any money to do this.”
          - The big next gen console title from Microsoft that everyone are still being very close-lipped about. Also cancelled, but since I basically only play on PC that is not a big tragedy for me personally.

• Emeraude says:

Yeah, was happy for them Project Eternity was a success just because of that.

I can see why Mr. Mitsoda left too after all this. Must be heart-wrenching to pull all this work into basically nothing, on the random whims of hydra-esque companies unable to be of one mind.

I’m reminded of Kyle Baker, who lost so much time in company committees trying to get an animation project going on he was able to make a whole short demo of it by himself.

• InternetBatman says:

I always read into it that the Mitsodas came into major conflict with one of the heads at Obsidian over Alpha Protocol and cut content. I’m guessing JE Sawyer, but that’s a random guess.

• Emeraude says:

The way I read things (I seem to remember one post in particular by Mr Mitsoda, but can’t for the life of me remember if it was on Double Bear’s forums or elsewhere), AP was the huge straw that broke he camel’s back.

• Xardas Kane says:

And let’s not forget not getting a bonus for a single Metacritic point, having to make a sequel to an incredibly popular game (KOTOR) in just an year and studio owners playing devs and ruining an otherwise stellar game (Alpha Protocol).

I am happy that they exist at all quite frankly.

• Syphus says:

Was the WOD RPG actually cancelled? I just couldn’t find any news about it period.

• Lars Westergren says:

At the end of 2011 they fired over 100 people, 20% of their staff, I think many of them worked on the WoD MMO. Others on that team were shifted over to Eve and the PS3 shooter Dust. CCP say they are still working on it, but I’ve been unable to find any news at all about it since March 2012…

• Chalky says:

That looks to be correct, there’s a follow-up article here that mentions it:

• Nim says:

As far as I understand it, South Park Studios and Ubisoft might have to settle this in or out of court but it might take a while and that could place South Park: the Stick of Truth in legal limbo for some time.

3. Hoaxfish says:

There seems to be some confusion over who owns Homeworld now. The Relic sale apparently didn’t include Homeworld due to Sierra selling it to THQ (not Relic) or something.

There’s an Indiegogo to buy Homeworld from THQ… but it’s one of those “we take the money even if it’s not past the goal”, by a bunch of people who’ve never apparently made a game (websites instead), and want to make Homeworld for smartphones… I don’t like the sound of that personally.

Sega apparently hasn’t made any claims to the series either: http://www.pcgamesn.com/indie/indie-studio-asks-homeworld-fans-pitch-and-buy-series-thq

I wouldn’t mind knowing what the legal position is of a game that isn’t bought, in the same way that Vigil wasn’t bought. Since the original owners don’t exist, and nobody else bought it, does it become free? Is it forever dead?

• BobbyDylan says:

Damn, Sega having Homeworld wold have made my day, after the great work they’ve done with CA and TW.

• Laythe_AD says:

Inactive assets such as the Homeworld license are to be auctioned at a later date. So it’s wait and see, I guess. Fingers crossed it goes with relic to Sega. Presumably GW have the say on where the 40k license goes.

• Cinek says:

I hope that this whole indiegogo campagin so-called “save homeworld” fails.

I’d love to save Homeworld
      From the hands of anonymous greedy company with no experience in PC gaming and no clue how to approach the franchise. They want to earn money selling one of my favourite franchises on mobiles and lure people with a vain hope on producing HW3 one day without a budged, resources or experience to make it happen.

I SAY NO TO GREED OF savehomeworld.com !!!

• Spengbab says:

Did someone say Homeworld? Cuz I think I heard someone say Homeworld…

Know what’d be great? Another Homeworld! I’d even settle for a Cataclysm! Please?

Homeworld!

• The Random One says:

Here, I made you a free-to-play Homeworld with microtransactions for iPhone and Facebook.

• Surlywombat says:

The property would end up with a creditor if nothing else. They would likely then attempt to sell it on.

• Baines says:

Or sit on it, because they have an inflated idea of its worth.

Like the situation System Shock sits in.

• FriendlyFire says:

I still hope Blackbird is willing to and can snatch up the IP.

That would make my day.

4. Dowr says:

It’s a shame Homefront is allowed it continue whilst Darksiders seems to be all but dead (unless Platinum steps in).

• Screamer says:

Here here!

Because apparently what we REALLY need is another military shooter!

• Suits says:

The company allowing it to continue is the one making it in the first place though

• plugmonkey says:

Again, the awkward truth is that Homefront sold the same as Darksiders 1 and 2 combined. We may not need another military shooter, but the market says it needs one twice as much as a game like Darksiders.

• Amaraen says:

I feel really bad about Vigil.

I bought Darksiders 2 when it came out and only played it 20 minutes. I started playing it last night, and found I have no idea why I stopped playing it in the first place.

It’s a shame.

• frightlever says:

The game takes off once you get all your toys to play with, like the grapple and the gun.

Such a pity. I liked Darksiders but DS2 was so much better.

• MSJ says:

You might notice that Homefront was bought by Crytek, who are already making Homefront 2 for THQ. Their purchase of the franchise is to avoid them from wasting time and resources possibly altering the game that is already extensively developed should the new owner decide they are unhappy with the current game.

• SkittleDiddler says:

If Homefront 2 is going to be a thing, it might as well be under conditions that are favorable to the developer. I’m not the biggest fan of Crytek’s library, but I think they’ll do a pretty good job with continuation of the IP

5. f1x says:

I’m sorry for Vigil, specially after reading the goodbye from the combat designer

• Emeraude says:

The things with Vigil is that I didn’t like their games, but I loved that they existed in the current marketplace.

It *is* diminished by the loss.

6. Vaedresa says:

“Dead-Island-torso-shaped-controversy-lightning-rod”

Oh, for fuck’s sake, it’s a non-issue coming from a marketing department which has nothing to do with the game, who have succeeded massively because people have been too stupid to realise they’re being played.

• aepervius says:

I am not so sure of that. From my friends, the few of them interested into Dead island Riptide , we discussed it and were all the same opinion : all of us were disgusted and were seriously thinking of passing the game until it is discounted heavily. But as with all such controversy it is difficult to see what really happen when the game is out.

yes sometime PR *is* bad pr and result in loss of sales.

• Phantoon says:

I too am disgusted they’re making a sequel to such a crap game.

7. Maxheadroom says:

Not read anything about the Warhammer 40k MMO-then-not-an-MMO
    Has there been any mention of that?

• killuminati says:

I guess and hope, it is gone to SEGA along with the rest of Relic, and since SEGA got the rights to publish any WH related stuff trough Creatie Assembly, as per last days news, I see no problem in keeping an hopefully expanding on the deal for the 40k universe.
      Damn I NEED a new DoW game!

• Mordsung says:

Relic was only backing up the 40k RPG, it was actually Vigil who were the main developers on it.

• Xocrates says:

Quite. And with Vigil in limbo and probably closing down, with the 40k license likely having gone to Sega, odds are that that game is dead.

• Mordsung says:

To be fair, what I had seen of the game did not leave me impressed.

Doing a fluff appropriate 40k RPG is hard as power levels vary wildly in fluff.

At their most powerful, fluff space marines can conquer a planet with 12 guys and a tank, but obviously it’s hard to balance the idea of walking one-man armies.

8. Squishpoke says:

In a perfect world, there would be no publishers owning rights to games they did not make.

• Emeraude says:

In a perfect world, there would be no publishers owning rights.

Amended.

• Shuck says:

So no publisher-owned studios?
        I guess in a perfect world, developers could get unlimited resources from their magical wishing lamps and not have to deal with funding issues at all.
        Damn, I want to develop games in that perfect world.

• f1x says:

And in that perfect world who would finance the games?

• Emeraude says:

In a PERFECT world ? There would be no need for financing, you silly.

• malkav11 says:

Publishers don’t need to own the rights to a game to fund its development and/or publish it, as long as the people actually developing it do.

Of course, in a perfect world copyright would be replaced by a system that does what it was supposed to do (reward people for their work) without all the poisonous stifling bullshit that’s been attached to copyright over the last century, particularly in the US.

• Archonsod says:

Yeah, but by that token in a perfect world we’d be able to see right at the start of the project whether the developer was going to produce a good game that sold well, had minimum bugs and arrived on time.

Thing to note is the publisher actually cares more about the IP than the developer. If a game tanks badly enough to harm the IP it doesn’t actually affect the developer’s potential (barring of course the harm to their reputation for making a crap game) because they can always create new games with new IP. For the publisher however the only value they have is what’s inherent in the license.

• Mordsung says:

There are plenty of publishing contracts where the dev studio maintains the rights to their IP.

I believe EA’s “partners” publishing deal, the one that the old Infinity War founders are using, allows you to maintain IP ownership while still being published by EA.

There’s also Kickstarter combined with private backers. Star Citizen got, combined, around 20 million dollars for funding. They were only asking for 18 million from publishers when they were shopping the idea around in the first place, so they actually have more funding now than they would have had with a publisher.

• Shuck says:

It’s pretty rare for a publisher to completely fund a game and not demand the IP rights. With the EA Partners program, for example, EA is usually not funding the game development.

• f1x says:

Okey, I agree there are other systems, and I’m against the current copyright practices
        but if I was a publisher and was going to invest some millions I would do it so if I had a guarantee that I’m getting something, I woulnd’t approach some studio and say “hey, I will give you all the money and you make the game, no hurry, just do what you like eh, fantastic”, because that could pull a fantastic game but could also pull an Axl Rose

On the other hand, going back to the imperfect world we are living in,
        The thing that happens with IPs is that usually a regular John is creating something and then super evil publisher is gonna tell him “hey, how much do you want for that?” and regular John is gonna sell it for a bunch of money
        not saying that this is unfair and probably said publisher won’t give him any other choices, and regular John has the right to make a living,
        So its not only black and white, publishers should have more ethical practices and actually care about the quality of what they make, but also creatives shouldnt be so eager to sell “total rights” for the things they make

• -Spooky- says:

*PERFECTWORLDFACE* In this type of situation, no publisher would OWN all these studios / developer teams. So .. Give Relic to Square Enix and let they reboot Homeworld. Supreme Commander II anyone?

• The Random One says:

In a perfect world ownership would be a foreign concept and we would share everything equally, man

• Emeraude says:

Another thing to note: author’s right model.
      Publisher enjoys an exclusive license to the economic rights in work created by employees, who technically remain the legal owners.
      Initial ownership of rights by a corporation even are impossible in Germany, if memory serves well.

Same difference in action will say my pragmatist US lawyer friend, but I personally believe the distinction does matter.

Note that there was nothing deeper in my initial comment but a bemused reaction about how little we sometimes dare to dream, even when creating our own utopias.

In a *fairer* world, there would be no publishers owning rights to games they did not make.

But in a *perfect* one?

• FriendlyFire says:

Then again, is developers owning the rights that much better?

Take any game made ten years ago, and look at the developer. Assuming it still exists today, compare the teams now and then. I bet you less than 30% of the original team is left.

Is the game owned by the artificial and abstract entity that is the developer, or is it owned by the people who actually made the game? In other words, is say Homeworld Relic’s game and IP or “the people who were at Relic in 1999″‘s game and IP? I daresay that Homeworld without Rob Cunningham isn’t really Homeworld.

• Chelicerate says:

In my perfect world, there would be no IP. If someone wanted to make a Homeworld sequel, they could, no matter who they are. Likely, you’d wind up with the developers names in front of titles, like, say, Bethesda’s Homeworld, but that’s not too bad.

IP stifles creativity, yo.

9. Dave L. says:

According to the Game Informer interview with Jason Rubin, the IPs that weren’t part of the auction are to be sold off at a later date (probably in a couple of weeks). So there’s still hope for Sega to pick up Homeworld and Deep Silver to nab Red Faction.

• Xardas Kane says:

I say all RPS reader put in 10 bucks, buy the damn thing and give it to Relic as a Christmas present on the condition that they actually USE IT this time around. They had it for almost 5 years and didn’t make a single Homeworld game. For shame, Relic, for shame!

10. Yachmenev says:

“Further, it sounds like South Park’s facing a delay, with Ubisoft banishing it from March to “calendar year 2013.””

uPlay confirmed then? F*ck. Guess I’ll be buying the PS3 version instead then.

• Lars Westergren says:

uPlay is pretty painless these days in my experience. One time activation on install or first startup, and then you can turn it off in settings. Not guaranteed it will be like that in the future, Ubisoft seem to like to tinker with the formula every time. Trying to see what customers find acceptable I guess?

• Yachmenev says:

I use it for Far Cry 3, and the experience with that is enough for me. It’s a poor mans Steam that brings nothing of value for me, other then yet another server depency and credentials requirement. I’m not gonna do anything to encourage further use of it.

The only reason it exists is because it’s yet another publisher who only looks at their own situation, instead of looking at what the situation is for customers who buys games from more then just them.

The use of uPlay in the South Park games is enough for me to look at other options.

• Surlywombat says:

Doesn’t necessarily mean uPlay. No point in them saying “it’s coming out on schedule” when there could still be licencing issues to sort out, not to mention they used to be competing with the South Park game, now it perhaps clashes with another IP they are releasing at that time.

11. Oryon says:

God damnit, Vigil ;-;

o7

12. RedViv says:

SEGA, Relic, classic WH license: Please let this result in “Band of Orcs”, or something similar.

13. Mario Figueiredo says:

I don’t trust Sega on Company of Heroes 2. I’m very skeptical of this company putting real muscle behind a PC version of this game. To their credit they didn’t say they would. “Further reinforce PC game development capabilities in the U.S. and European regions” is as hollow as it can get.

• RedViv says:

I don’t know about others, but I don’t find much too criticise about their treatment of PC ports and PC-only titles. What someone in their company seems to be doing to Youtube on the other hand, that is bollocks.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

Not following the news. What’s with YouTube?

PS: Nevermind. just did a search and found it.

• The JG Man says:

The Shining Force thing is Sega in Japan, not Europe (and what’s left of America). Don’t get me wrong, it’s still stupid, but I can’t help but think that the people who pushed to get Relic were not the same regarding SF.

• Dominus_Anulorum says:

Relic is being placed under the creative assembly roof, so I do believe that is sega europe.

• killuminati says:

Well Creative Assembly are not properly console developers… just sayin’

• MSJ says:

SEGA is as much a PC games publisher as Activision, Square Enix, Bethesda, 2K, EA, and of course THQ. Their main non-Sonic franchises now include Total War and Football Manager.

Thinking of them as a “console publisher” is like freaking out that black people and white people are sharing a table at a restaurant.

• InternetBatman says:

They own Total War, and have let the devs do as they please as long as they make a profit (which they do). That’s the only commitment you really need from a publisher.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

I didn’t explain myself well. It’s not about PC vs console. It’s about me doubting they’ll keep the Relic team and even invest on it with new good blood. But I’ll take InternetBatman comment at face value and hope for the best.

• FriendlyFire says:

I haven’t heard of Creative Assembly getting gutted. In fact, I’d say Total War has progressively improved with each new version.

At worst it means we’ll get more frequent Company of Heroes games. Honestly? I’m not bothered by that.

14. Asurmen says:

I was about to ask whether Freespace went with Volition or whether it was to be sold at a later date, but some research shows me Interplay still own it, and that makes me a sad panda. Why couldn’t Interplay die rather than THQ? :(

15. Sucram says:

Noticed that in Steam CoH games are still listed as being published by THQ, so if I were to buy them right now who gets my money, Sega or THQ?

• frightlever says:

At a guess, it’ll go into a pot for the liquidators to sort out.

16. SirKicksalot says:

South Park was delayed in November, but Valve is too lazy to change the store page.

You should expect more delays because the new owners will send people to all the studios to figure out exactly what state the games are in. It’s safe to assume that THQ was rushing things and the games need more time in the oven.

17. MeestaNob says:

Stunned nobody picked up Darksiders, even at fire sale prices.

18. MOKKA says:

What about a Homeworldesque Game (3d Space-Combat RTS) but with the 40k license?

• MSJ says:

Battlefleet Gothic?

• Hoaxfish says:

That’d be nice, but I’m not sure how much Games Workshop wants us to remember their old products.

• ZephyrSB says:

I’d prefer Space Fleet anyway.

• FriendlyFire says:

Could be an opportunity for them to reorganize and refresh Battlefleet Gothic, or perhaps create a new space-based tabletop game to replace it.

I doubt it’d happen, but you never know.

19. NothingFunny says:

Feel for Vigil :( God, I hate this industry.
    Lets hope other studios are not getting dissolved.

20. Vraptor117 says:

After what Sega did to Obsidian with Alpha Protocol, I’m very wary with them having the current best RTS developer under their control. And while I’d love a new Homeworld, I’m not sure what that game could do that Sins of a Solar Empire hasn’t done already (I would not mind a complete graphical update of Homeworld 1 and 2).

• InternetBatman says:

Obsidian did Alpha Protocol to themselves. The game had three different heads who changed the scope dramatically each time. It was a clusterfuck.

• Vraptor117 says:

I won’t argue that Obsidian didn’t self-inflict some of the games issues, but Sega refused to allow them to extensively patch the game post-release. And they also won’t let Obsidian make a sequel.

• Emeraude says:

I seem to remember the rewritings and head-changes being at least partly motivated by publisher interference. Though we’ll probably never really now for sure.

Not to say that Obsidian doesn’t deserve their part of the blame – but to each according to its responsibilities.

21. Garviel Loken says:

What about the Warhammer 40k license?
    WH40k Dark Millenium Online could still be a good game.. the WH40k universe provides enough space for a long running MMO.

• Mordsung says:

It was cancelled as an MMO months ago, it was continuing as an RPG with multiplayer aspects.

At this point it is likely dead, as Vigil was the main dev on the project and the last thing they talked about working on was a secret project called Crawler. No one bought Vigil, so the company no longer exists. The code belongs to THQ, I would imagine, and it could still be auctioned off.

But whoever buys it has to also have the 40k license, which I think Sega has now, so if Sega doesn’t buy it then it wouldn’t legally able to be released.

22. Sorbicol says:

I note (via Eurogamer. I’d link but I’m doing this on my phone and it’s a pain) that Sega might not actually have the Warhammer 40K license just by buying Relic.

I would imagine that the license passed back to GW as part of the insolvency process. You’d hope they have the sense to give it back to Sega (who after all now have the fantasy license) but remember this is also a company who let Cyanide carry on with the BB license despite terrible interface and lack of support given to that game.

So who knows?

23. squareking says:

I had no idea carrion could descend all on its own.

24. Zankmam says:

No mention of the WWE games, eh. So much for “the whole story”.

Anyways, it was picked up by Take Two, which will hopefully mean “2K Sports”.

• Mordsung says:

I believe this is taken from a PC gamer perspective, and the main line of WWE wrestling games don’t get released on PC.

Maybe that might change under Take Two.

Though I would still take No Mercy over any modern wrestling game.

25. teamcharlie says:

It’s probably too soon, but as a huge fan of the Saints Row franchise there’s a chance this is a good change for Volition. Everything I’d heard indicated that THQ and their cash woes were the driving force behind the lackluster moneygrab DLC releases, the relatively curtailed storyline, canning the expansion in favor of what sounded like a rushed sequel, etc. So if Koch/Deep Silver can figure out how to a) give Volition some space to do what they do best and b) give them at LEAST another year and a half of development time, I have high hopes that Saints Row Fo’ may even top SR3 in terms of sheer fun and stupidity (in the stupid action movie sense).

And since apparently nobody else is going to say it: “Hey Shaundi, watch out for that robot dinosaur! Hit it wit’ ya dildo laser!”