Popular Videogames In Planned Sequels Shocker

By Alec Meer on February 8th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

I bet they'll find a way to bring Vaas back

The popular videogames in this instance being Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry series. Of the former, we can expect a new installment, featuring a new time period and protagonist, to arrive before next March. For the latter, meanwhile, apparently the wait won’t be as long as it was between Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3.

If the next Assassin’s Creed is changing hero and setting, that means AC3’s charmless lunk Connor will have had a very short tenure. Perhaps, given present-day-man Desmond’s story arc appeared to (finally) wind up in AC3, the next game will be a much-needed fresh start, given how convoluted and self-regarding the series’ in-game lore had become.

All this is conjecture, of course. The only thing we have to go on is Ubiboss Yves Guillemot declaring in an earnings call yesterday that “We are delighted and proud to announce today that in [fiscal year 2014], we will introduce an all-new Assassin’s Creed hero, within an all new team and time period. We expect it to be another major leap forward for the franchise.”

LEAP LIKE OFF A CHURCH SPIRE INTO A HAYBALE AMIRITE

Ubisoft’s 2014 financial year covers March 2013-March 2014. So he probably means the new game will be out in Novemberish, as per Assassin’s Creed tradition.

As for Far Cry, there’s even less to go on, but “fans certainly won’t have to wait four more years for the next Far Cry.” Far Cry 3 exceeded the publisher’s sales expectations, with over 4 million people having been asked if they know the definition of madness to date.

Assassin’s Creed III, meanwhile, sold over 12 million copies despite being a bit boring.

You can listen to the entire earnings call here, if you’re mad.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

DrAmateurScience says:

12 millions! Fuck me I didn’t realise it was so popular. I’m still wading through the first one in fits and starts.

• Suits says:

the sequel is a huge “leap” forward, after that not so much

• ulix says:

I’ve played 1, 2 & Brotherhood, and I thought Brotherhood was by far the best. The original is a bit shit though. Great gameplay-systems, but not enough variety. The second one is much better, and Brotherhood is a little better than the second.

• 1Life0Continues says:

Am I still the only one who just can’t stand Ezio?

Yes, I know, he ‘gets better in Brotherhood/Revelation’ but I don’t care. If the character doesn’t endear himself to me in the 70 f**king hours I struggled through AC2 (more fool me) then I’m not going to waste my time on the others, no matter how much better he gets. That’s asking too much of me. He irritated me so much, I actually LOST interest in AC3, and have since been trying to sell my unused Special Edition key since its release. Oddly enough, no-one wants it, which doesn’t speak volumes to me about the game as a whole.

Altair was a great character. Yes he started out a dick, but he got better IN THE SAME DAMN GAME. Yes, the combat was repetitive if you CHOSE to fight that way, but then AC2 had the same damn problem, only worse because even if you tried (and I did), Ezio couldn’t fail. It was easy to lose guards in the first one, but it was justified by the fact you blended in with scholars. In AC2, Ezio could be decked out in black armor (of which he has the only set) in a town full of drab brown dressed people and he could lose guards in a group of 4 people? To quote an overused phrase; seems legit.

I can’t get onboard with the AC2/Ezio fangasming. I just can’t. There was too much glaringly annoying stuff in the game that did not make me want to go back to the franchise.

• F. Lynx Pardinus says:

I didn’t mind it, but if the writers had changed the Animus slightly to be “Desmond is seeing what Ezio selectively remembers happening” rather than “Desmond is seeing what actually happened” it would have fixed your problem. Of course Ezio would remember himself as unbeatable and able to disappear at will.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Indeed, Ezio is the worse character I think. You do get to play as Altaïr for a few seconds in AC2, but it’s not enough.

AC3 gameplay wise goes back to the roots in some way, and that naval battles are amazing, but the story is getting totally ridiculous, it’s time for a reboot.

• 2helix4u says:

I hear that the ship battles were amazing a lot. Do they open up later on? When I played them they were just swing broadside and shoot. I was SO excited for boarding enemy ships and parkouring around them assassinating crew that it never occured to me that they wouldn’t put that in.
            When I found this out I pretty much lost interest.

• Cowboybibop says:

I struggle with the word “struggle” stuck between something like “this boring game… bla bla bla… i’ve struggle to enjoy the character… bla bla… played 70 hours of it”.

I just can’t manage to not be amazed by sentences like that.

• noodlecake says:

Oh yeah. I couldn’t stand Ezio either, but I just skipped most of the cutscenes after a while. It didn’t stop the game being well made and enjoyable. I’d had a bit too much by the last expansion though.

• noodlecake says:

@Cowboybibop First world problems? :P

• brulleks says:

I preferred AC2, but I think that might be because it was such a vast improvement over the first game that all the frustrating niggles and flaws didn’t kick in until I played Brotherhood, particularly the strict hand-holding during missions. The whole time I was playing all I could hear was Rowan Atkinson’s voice in Blackadder 3 saying “Get more coffee! It’s horrid! Change it! Take me roughly from behind! No, not like that, like this! Trousers off! Tackle out! Walk the dog! Where’s my presents!”

Having endured much of the same, only worse, in Revelations, suffice to say I shall not be playing AC3 even if they give it away free.

• Jams O'Donnell says:

The original has my favourite setting, but AC2 and Brotherhood are the best ones in the series. The first one is worth persevering with though, even if the ending is annoying as all hell.

2. Suits says:

madness? this.. is.. insanity!

3. Runs With Foxes says:

“with over 4 million people having been asked if they know the definition of madness to date.”

ugh

so I guess people will now attribute this quote to FC3 and its hack writer

• Didero says:

Serious question: Where is it from originally?
      Just to help with my own curiosity, and to educate the masses.

• x1501 says:

Although this rather inane cliche is often misattributed to a whole bunch of famous people—including Ben Franklin, Albert Einstein and Mark Twain—in reality, no one seems to be able to confirm the true origin of it. According a note at WikiQuote, one of the earliest known occurrences was at the University of California, where the quote was used as “a teaching reference in social science lectures in the later 1960s”. So as far as we can guess, it might as well have been first uttered by… Adolph Hitler?

• SirKicksalot says:

It’s attributed to Einstein but it’s actually from Narcotics Anonymous.

• x1501 says:

If true, the University of California usage predates the 1981 Narcotics Anonymous one by nearly two decades.

• grenadeh says:

Does it matter? The quote is retarded. It’s scientifically 100% inaccurate and it is repeated ad nauseam in pop culture, left and right, all the time. The definition of insantiy, not MADNESS which is not what he even says in the game, is a medical definition that has nothing to do with this quote.

• Brun says:

MADNESS

THIS. IS. SPARTA.

*kick*

darkChozo says:

To be fair, I don’t think there’s a current scientific definition of insanity, both because it’s really vague (there’s no scientific definition for “sick” for the same reason) and because psychologists would probably be against that kind of terminology (same with crazy). There’s a legal definition of insanity though, or maybe it’s mentally incompetent? I dunno. I’m not a laywer. Or a psychologist. Or a doctor.

4. Dowson says:

Far Cry 3 was fun because it felt like it has some effort put into it, I hope they don’t turn it into one of these ‘core IP’ deals which get milked with quick low quality sequels.

Hell I don’t see why companies do these yearly release schedules anyway, I never had a problem with waiting 3 years per game.

• man-eater chimp says:

Indeed, I would rather have 1 excellent game than 3 more regular,but completely mediocre ones.

• abandonhope says:

Investors: “This made money. Make one every year.”

• RobinOttens says:

In Ubisoft’s case I always felt they got scared after Prince of Persia 2008 was a failure, and then scrapped whatever plans they had for switching back and forth between PoP and AC biannually. Or something like that.

Then again, they’ve been doing the annual sequelage ever since Sands of Time and Splinter Cell 1. But these past 4 AC games have been the longest streak they’ve had yet, and it’s starting to show.

maninahat says:

Definitely. I’m worried that the producers will take all the wrong lessons from its success, and instead of seeing the success as a consequence of a carefully made, colourful and varied game, they’ll see “people like jungles! We must have another island! And more crazy people! And native boobs!”

5. Low Life says:

Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

insanity (noun) Mental illness of such a severe nature that a person cannot distinguish fantasy from reality, cannot conduct her/his affairs due to psychosis, or is subject to uncontrollable impulsive behavior.

• brulleks says:

See also: Ubisoft DRM policies

• grenadeh says:

in·san·i·ty
      noun in-ˈsa-nə-tē
      plural in·san·i·ties
      Definition of INSANITY
      : a deranged state of the mind usually occurring as a specific disorder (as schizophrenia)
      : such unsoundness of mind or lack of understanding as prevents one from having the mental capacity required by law to enter into a particular relationship, status, or transaction or as removes one from criminal or civil responsibility
      a : extreme folly or unreasonableness
      b : something utterly foolish or unreasonable
      See insanity defined for English-language learners »
      See insanity defined for kids »

6. Jarl Hamburger says:

Uh, so female protagonist for the new Assassin’s Creed storyline plz?

• JFS says:

That’d introduce some much needed cleavage into the series, which so far has been far too manly. Every game needs a well-endowed female protagonist, for It Makes Money ™.

• Mr. Mister says:

And that’ll serve as proof that the mcgufinn DNA isn’t stored into the Y chrromosome.

RedViv says:

Aveline de Grandpré would like a word.

Though there could be something about AC3’s main being more McGuffin-y, but to know that I would need to finally finish Revelations and then get through three hours of being told again how to play an AC game and…
          Well. Yeah.

• DK says:

AC2’s Mansion had statues of previous Assassins (and I think a flashback to Altair’s wife, because that particular animus memory came from her not Altair) – there was atleast one woman in the “awesome post-Altair pre-Ezio Assassins League”. I think she was the one who killed Ghengis Khan (with poison snakes!).

• I Got Pineapples says:

Counterpoint: The next AC needs to be even manlier.

Or possibly even the manliest.

• Fanbuoy says:

Also, visceral and gritty. With over 600 shades of brown!

• Lanfranc says:

They could set it on the Western Front during WWI. Then they would have all the grit and all the brown.

Oh, or Victorian England, Dickens-style. That could be pretty gritty and brown as well.

• I Got Pineapples says:

MANLIER THAN THAT!

• HisMastersVoice says:

The AC for the Vita had a female protagonist I think?

• Jarl Hamburger says:

Yes it did. Though I kinda figured they did that just to shut those damn feminists up. No way the Vita version had as much press or hype as the main Assassin’s Creed story lines, so having a female protagonist wouldn’t really have had the same impact.

7. bitbot says:

Wow, no wonder they pump out those Assassin’s Creed games at a yearly basis.

8. Screamer says:

I wish Haytham was the main character of ACIII. :(

• RobinOttens says:

Well he was, for about 6-10 hours of it.

Connor wasn’t that bad though was he? Not as immediately likeable as Ezio, but he certainly grew on me after a while.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

He didn’t really grew though. He too wide-eyed idealist, even when he sees all those conspiracies going on around him. It’s jarring.

• RobinOttens says:

True. Especially since the storylines of Ezio and Altair (and Desmond to a lesser extent) all started with explicitly showing in what ways the character was flawed so they had some direction to grow in. Altair was arrogant, Ezio was too carefree and wild, Desmond ran away from who he was.

With Connor, his character flaw (idealism and naïveté) was never really explored. He grew a little wiser and world weary toward the end, but only barely. Still, I thought he was interesting somehow, and I feel there’s some layer to his character that I’m not seeing yet, compelling me to dive back in and see his story a second time.

• grenadeh says:

If by 6 – 10 hours you mean 13 minutes then yes. If it took you 6 to 10 hours to do the entire 2 chapters where haytham was the protagonist, you’re inconceivably terrible at games.

The game was less than 30 hours long, including side quests and naval missions and homestead quests.

• HisMastersVoice says:

Yeah, especially after the big reveal at the end of his story arc. That would have been miles better than what we got.

9. John Connor says:

I wonder if Vaas was talking about Assassin’s Creed’s release schedule.

• Kadayi says:

*chortles*

I certainly think after the critical mauling ACIII has received they’ll probably be looking to change their game up with the next one for sure.

10. CMaster says:

I have a friend who works for Ubi’s UK outfit.
    He put an advert on FB recently as they were recruiting staff.

One of the games the advert said you could be working on was Far Cry 5, so clearly they’re after a fairly regular turnover with these games.

11. MikoSquiz says:

An Anything 3 is kind of pushing it, usually, never mind a 4. I liked Far Cry 3 well enough, but with all the copy-pasted content there’s already a glut of it, never mind if they push out another similarly sized chunk of more of the same within the year.

• HadToLogin says:

You know you’ll be forever hated for saying you don’t want Half Life 3?

• MikoSquiz says:

Yeah, I’m strongly reminded every time I bring that fact up.

12. ulix says:

Just saw Vaas’ actor in a small role in the (great) Canadian comedy “Michael: Tuesdays & Thursdays”, and was really irritated by it.

Oozo says:

What a shock.

14. bit.bat says:

Considering how many ideas where taken from Assassins Creed and applied to Far Cry 3 maybe they should join the games together and create super amalgamation. Something like Far Creed: Assassins Cry.

• grenadeh says:

Or they could combine the ideas and make an RPG, something Ubisoft has yet to do and take seriously. AC3 + FC3 would be a wonderful RPG, if it was open world and you could actually interact with people like you have never been able to do in AC.

15. SuperNashwanPower says:

Let Far Cry die, for it received a fatal wound in its last outing. Not that anyone noticed, because they were too busy being Surprised It Wasn’t Quite As Crap As Expected, thereby having it go under the Its Still Actually Crap RADAR.

I am hoping some other talented company will choose to make an open world shooter. Maybe they don’t exist, and require some kind of developer mating programme. Like maybe if Crytek got together with Bethesda, and Crytek made the combat, tech and graphics, and Bethesda did the world and stories. FallCry? CryOut? FallSys? Post Apocalypse in a Pacific Paradise. Day one purchase. .

Ohhhhhhhh Fallout with awesome combat. And tanks. And APC’s. Fighting a land war across an island. That would be something. Especially if you didnt have to get out of the tank to pick magical flowers.

• Kadayi says:

You’re talking about the Hivemind’s GoTY

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I know. I had to unplug my my cranial punishment node in order to say it. I fear plugging it back in.

16. kuporuta says:

as Dennis responded I am amazed that you able to earn $7397 in a few weeks on the computer. did you see this web site http://www.Cloud65.com