After Ten Years, Eve Stands At 500k Subscribers

By Jim Rossignol on February 28th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

The subscription model is not dead, it’s just far away in space, Iceland, and Shanghai. Eve Online, which will be ten years old on the 6th of May, is the game that captured my imagination and attention for over five years. I miss it.

For hundreds of thousands of others, both on the Western server and the newly relaunched Chinese server, it is an ongoing commitment. I sort of envy them, but my time has passed. Speaking rather poetically of his success, CCP CEO Hilmar said: “For me, this is a true testament that EVE can live on forever, as long as we do right by her. We have not come to this point alone; millions of players have helped push us to this milestone. I now know in my mind what I previously only believed in my heart: that EVE will outlive us all.”

It’s quite the feat: ten years of growth for a subscription-based game. It not only shrugged off the familiar MMO models, it has also bucked the commercial trends which seem to govern the sector. Perhaps that’s because, unlike almost every other MMO, it wasn’t trying to make that same game of quests and orcs.

Haha, I’m using a pullquote and you can’t stop me! It’s not even relevant to the story. THE POWER HAS DRIVEN ME MAD. AAAHAHAHA! Eeeugh.

There was a time when I suspect that Eve might evolve itself to death, but maybe, just maybe, it will continue for that long. It makes me realise that it’s ten years since I left working for a magazine publisher, and a magazine on which the editor at the time looked at the news of Eve’s approach and told me “that game will never come out”. I guess that just shows that as sceptical as we might be, sometimes the mad, beautiful ideas are bold and brave enough to survive.

I know lots of people don’t enjoy Eve. It’s their loss, frankly. But those that deride it, and attempt to diminish it’s achievement, are simply wrong. No other game has so fulfilled the promise of what MMOs could or should be. No other game has gone so far with player agency or player interaction. It is one of the wonders of the PC world.

And where are the MMOs that took their inspiration from Eve? Hands down, Perpetuum, I was speaking to the rest of the class. Anyone?

Anyone at all?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Shuck says:

Now that’s the proper use of a pullquote box.

The problem with MMO developers looking to imitate Eve is the same as looking to imitate WoW to some degree – there can be only one (MMO in that space), and the fans are already there. Now, you can look at Eve to see that something different from the generic fantasy MMO can be successful, but creating the equivalent of Eve, that is, creating something different from what exists that builds its own distinct fanbase, is far from easy.

• Kim-Dick says:

like Deborah said I’m blown away that you able to get paid $4830 in one month on the internet. have you seen this web page… http://tiny.cc/0ui8sw

• 00000 says:

Why can’t we pull-quote this?

• Mo6eB says:

Like Slaanesh’s followers said: *high-pitched screaming* with this simple User Style!

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("rockpapershotgun.com") {

.simplePullQuote {
        display: none;
        }

}

• Gap Gen says:

Thanks!

• jrodman says:

Thanks, you are amazing.

I’m sure there’s a way to do this by just editing your userContent.css, but I couldn’t figure out which paths that was supposed to live in so, for the dumbos out there like me, I did, in Firefox:

1 – Installed the User Style Manager addon
          2 – In the Tools menu, User Styles -> Create New -> For this domain (while on rps.com)
          3 – Pasted in the above suggestion
          4 – Add

Bliss ensued.

• yogibbear says:

Set starboard pull-quote to stun!

• Berious says:

Like EVE but without sucky, boring & horrible PVE would rock my world. There’s definitely a whole lot of room for iteration and improvement on the EVE model. Not that I think we’ll see it attempted because investors are so fixated on repeating WoW.

2. lijenstina says:

The Subscription model is not dead: Pullquote Reloaded

3. Phendron says:

RPS Premium Edition: Pullquote Suppressor

• Noburu says:

Yes please! I am already a supporter and long time reader. The pull quote takes away from the articles for me. They keep distracting me as I read stories. If I am interested in a story I am going to read it. If im not, no pull quote is going to entice me to read it anyway.

4. Epicedion says:

SOE is hypothetically focusing on developing more player-driven MMOs, taking direct inspiration from EVE, after the general failure of WoW clones to make it big in the market.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

And once that fails maybe they’ll try to come up with something themselves.

5. lijenstina says:

Anyway should the pullquote be reserved for getting all that publishers money.
    “The best game you’ll play while you’re playing it. 10/10″

6. Commander Gun says:

It was a great game and i had indeed the best MMO time ever with it. That being said, i can imagine one big reason why i can’t play it anymore and that is that is takes LOAD’S of my free time and i am evolved. To my big, big regret, i just don’t have the time for the organization it takes for Eve to have fun :(

• PopeRatzo says:

This. About the time I started getting burnout as top management of the manufacturing division of a long-lived and successful mid-sized corporation in Eve, it started to feel more and more like a job and finally, I went back to games that didn’t feel like a job.

But for the three years that it took me to rise from a dopey rocket-jock with no skills and no money to a captain of industry, I felt like a god and had an absolute blast.

I think the thing that sent me over the edge was when I realized my real-world email inbox had more entries from my Eve corp-mates than from my actual job that I decided to put Eve aside. Coincidentally, a few months later I put the real-world job aside too and retired. Just a coincidence?

• MrLebanon says:

ahah… PopeRatzo retired…

• solidsquid says:

Does anyone else find the idea of there being a VaticanCorp in Eve made up entirely of bishops, cardinals and the pope as the CEO incredibly funny?

7. The Random One says:

The pullquotes have become self aware.

8. J_C says:

This article is 100% pure truth. EVE is a marvelous MMO.
    /smudges tear in the eye/

9. Inverselaw says:

Can a pull quote be a pull quote when it dosent actualy pull a quote from the article?

I actualy played EVE for a few months right after launch. I remember spending almost a month mining to get enough money and skills to fly a navitas.

When I got back to the game three years ago, the game gave me a navitas and a blueprint to make 5 more just for finishing the tutorial quest.

• Ignorant Texan says:

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I’ve still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

• Lamb Chop says:

I imagine that to be a direct quote of his going mad with power, so it is at least a quote?

Well played. Now if you made them all jokes, I might be swayed…

10. MeestaNob says:

Eve is the little MMO that could. I still aspire to one day try it out and not bounce off its force field of complication and confusion +1. I don’t want to play the FPS at all, I just want to be a space businessman, but I really need my hand held for the first 20 hours or so and it doesn’t appear that the game is willing to do that at all without an actual person offering to take you under their wing.

@RPS staff: Those little quote boxes are stupid for such short articles, they should only be used in your features.

• Phendron says:

Plenty of corps out there specifically designed to ease new players into the system.

Do some google, or start with Eve University. They will give you training books and ISK and what-have-you.

• Gesadt says:

actually join brave newbies inc. instead. its current fotm corp for new players

• solidsquid says:

It’s actually pretty easy to follow the tutorial missions for a while and get into the swing of things. One thing I’d say though, trading outside of a corp can be *incredibly* boring if you’re still a beginner and can’t afford any more than the lowest level freighter (and then having to stick to low sec because you can’t afford to replace it). Pirate hunting can be solo’d sort of, but if you want to get into the game, joining a corp is definitely the way to go

11. Mephz says:

I’ve never been a eve fan myself, it just took to long to get into it and become part of something so I got tired of it in less than a week. However, 500k is huge for a mmo and especially for a company that’s from the same country I am, Iceland. CCP really has gone a long way since I first heard news about the company being formed or when the game eve was created a bit later.

I’m personally looing forward to their next mmo, World of darkness. However I may have to wait a long time for that one as CCP priorities lie with Dust 514 for the moment. Perhaps 2015 is a good bet, I guess we know more during the evefanfest which is going to be held soon in Iceland (it’s sold out).

• Emeraude says:

I’m personally looking forward to their next mmo, World of darkness.

So am I, the *idea* seems fascinating, and I can’t wait to see where it’s headed, and how well it will work (or how hard it will fail, provided the fall is enlightening).

My main problem with that game is, at the pace they’re going, by the time they release, I’ll be dead.

• benkc says:

Teach me.

(No seriously, how do you do that?)

• Jae Armstrong says:

I wonder.

EDIT: Welp, not by any HTML codes that I am familiar with.

No, wait.

Yeah, that’s it, but I think it’ll only look like that in top level comments. Sadness.

• Hoaxfish says:

Just look at the stuff just belong the text field when writing a new comment.

I’ve mashed together a cite, blockquote, strong, i, em, b, acronym, abbr, and a tags to make my above comment..

• Chupacabra- says:

Oh yes … yes, I totally get what you write there buddy!
          (Are you a pullquote, too?)

• Prime says:

[redacted]

12. Lemming says:

‘The subscription model is dead’ was only propagated by game developers that made shit MMOs with nothing but pie-eyes at WoW.

This proves that if the game is quality and fills a gap in the market, subs are completely sustainable.

• Emeraude says:

Not only that, but I would argue that for some audiences, the subscription model is a positive, not some flaw to be overcome.

But then people say I’m crazy.

• PopeRatzo says:

Absolutely. Not that you’re crazy, but that some of us see a subscription model as preferable.

I’d rather pay $15 once a month than get bugged every day for nickels and dimes. Microtransactions make me feel like a hooker’s trick. Or at least what I imagine a john feels like.

13. jonfitt says:

It’s like the Elves, Jim’s time in Eve has passed and he’s departed into the West.

14. BreadBitten says:

Pull quotes are the laugh track of the editorial biz.

15. aliksy says:

Eve is different than WoW. Eve succeeds. No major developer connects these dots?

• caddyB says:

WoW has about 9million subs, Eve has 500k. The big guys want the big numbers.

• Jesrad says:

and instead of “big numbers” they get populations less than 100k before going under or free to play.

It’s not like CCP are geniuses. They had one excellent idea: a single world (China doesn’t count) without leveling and designed for infinite horizontal expansion. They’ve gotten nearly everything else wrong and are amazingly user unfriendly: no skill queue for years, supercaps, spiteful UI that couldn’t be customized etc. Their mistakes don’t matter because they are the only game in town if you won’t play Vertical Gear Grinder Online. A competent developer (i.e. not Bioware) copying their great idea without copying all the mistakes could make something wonderful. Instead we get an endless stream of awful Wowclones.

• Shuck says:

It’s not that the dots aren’t being connected, it’s that it doesn’t help all that much to do so. An MMO is expensive – seriously, ridiculously expensive*. That means you’re not going to want to spend that sort of money making a game that’s a huge risk. So you avoid that by making something that’s been proven to some degree, i.e. like an existing game that’s done well, using proven game mechanics. Making something completely new and untested isn’t an option, really – not at those costs, anyways. If you make a game like an existing game, you’re counting on being similar enough to draw people who like the game, but different enough to appeal to dissatisfied former players. (Current players are, of course, still playing the other game, and some developers foolishly target them, trying to draw them away with a game that’s the same but “better.” Never works.) So if you’re going to target a game to try to capture its crumbs, so to speak, WoW is a far more attractive target, as it has orders of magnitude more players (and former players) than Eve does.

*Unless you have a game with spaceships that require no complex character animations, a big, mostly empty universe that doesn’t have to be full of assets and single-player content, etc. That’s going to be inherently a lot cheaper to develop than games with human characters, for example.

• dreadpirateryu says:

I feel like you don’t particularly understand how servers work. While it’s true that it’s more expensive to run WoW than EVE, that’s largely due to pure numbers. If EVE were scaled to the same numbers as WoW, it would be /vastly/ more expensive to run than WoW is at the same numbers.

The main difference between WoW and EVE is that EVE has a single shard vs the many shards of WoW. The more people you try to shove into a single world, the more complicated it gets and more power it takes to run that world. WoW never really has more than… maybe 100 things running around in the same area at the same time. EVE regularly has hundreds, if not thousands of people interacting at the same time in the same area. This requires massive amounts of power (and is part of the reason they introduced “time dilation” which gives servers the time they need to actually calculate the ridiculousness going on).

Make no mistake, EVE is /not/ cheap to run. They constantly upgrade their servers, and I remember reading a dev blog a couple years ago about how they’re basically running a supercomputer to keep the servers running smooth. It’s only cheaper because it has 500K subscribers, vs 9million+.

EDIT: Woops, I do believe I misread your asterisk bit of your post. You were talking about assets, not server. I think my points still apply, but yes, the art assets are cheaper for EVE than WoW. Especially since I believe most of their universe is randomly generated. They DO have a lot of assets in EVE though, more than you might think.

• Shuck says:

Yeah, I’m talking about development costs, where assets make up the vast majority of the budget. Hand-building a world is part of that, so Eve is cheaper on two fronts.

• solidsquid says:

Depends, it can be possible to build an MMO on a budget, but don’t expect to make a WoW killer or anything. Low poly models, reasonably nice textures and a simple but fun game system with smallish maps is the way to start, then add more as you start getting money in. Or hell, pull a Realm of the Mad God and go sprites instead, as long as it doesn’t prevent you building the core game you want to (and that game is fun) it shouldn’t be a problem

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not cheap to build an MMO, but it can be done on a similar budget to other, moderate sized games if you set your priorities right. It’s just about being realistic with scope at the beginning then gradually expanding as your player base grows

• Shuck says:

Low-fi graphics MMOs are also going to get audiences that are a tiny fraction of what a AAA game will get. They’re almost different beasts in how different the dynamics of making and marketing them are. Realm of the Mad God is absolutely not a useful example for a “major developer.”
          It would be interesting if major developers reduced risk by spitting out a bunch of really cheap MMOs to see what was successful and then built a bigger game on the successes, but they’re not really set up for that now outside the Korean game industry.

• iridescence says:

Yeah, but no other game that has tried to copy WoW has succeeded. Clearly the WoW market wants to play WoW, not some knockoff. Even a game like Rift, which does what WoW does better in almost every way isn’t pulling in massive numbers.

People are invested in WoW they are unlikely to leave it to go to a WoW clone but these big corps keep churning out these WoW clones over and over anyway. It’s insane.

• Shuck says:

Depends what you mean by “succeeded.” Some WoW-likes have managed to build up enough of a fan-base that they’re financially stable, which in this industry is absolutely success. Anyone trying to create a WoW-sized audience was always delusional, but I think most publishers have long-since figured that out (minus notable exceptions such as 38 Studios).

• iridescence says:

“Anyone trying to create a WoW-sized audience was always delusional, but I think most publishers have long-since figured that out”

Also, SWTOR, TERA and The Elder Scrolls:Online. Unfortunately most MMOs still feel like they have to copy WoW formula (maybe adding one or two twists) despite the fact that they keep failing to have even the long therm success that EVE has.

• Shuck says:

To be fair to SWTOR, development started on that game before it was completely obvious how disastrous it was to try to go for WoW-level subscriber numbers. And Tera has apparently had more subscribers than Eve (though given the likely development costs, they desperately needed them). Elder Scrolls is just baffling – perhaps they’re not actually expecting high subscriber numbers. Eve may have long-term success, but that’s largely relative to their lower development cost. There are a lot of WoW-like fantasy MMOs with higher numbers (even if they’re less profitable, due to higher dev costs).
            Eve, unlike most MMOs, has been steadily building subscriber numbers, making it easier to dismiss, too. (Especially when publishers and developers normally expect to see most of their profits in the first few months after release.)

• RProxyOnly says:

Shuck.. that is pure BS.

When it was first announced people knew just fine it was going to fail because it was trying to step in on WOW’s market, and that NONE before had succeeded either, the only ones truly enthused were SW fans. The only ones completely oblivious were the devs and publisher.

Everyone else (except whore ‘journalists’) just said “meh”.

• Shuck says:

@RProxyOnly: “When it was first announced people knew”
            That may be true, but the game was announced only after it had already been in development for a few years. WoW hadn’t been around for too long when SWTOR had been given the green-light (in fact it’s quite possible that WoW wasn’t even out yet when the game that would become SWTOR was first approved). Certainly the wave of failures of supposed WoW-killers hadn’t yet happened when development started on SWTOR, as development began within about a year of WoW being released.
            A number of failed MMOs were launched because development time on MMOs is so long that they got funded well before it became completely obvious that WoW was champion, but were released well after that was clear.

16. cyrenic says:

“And where are the MMOs that took their inspiration from Eve?”

Day Z

(yes I would argue that it’s an MMO)

• Arsenis says:

Eve definitely got it’s inspiration from Ultima Online. I only wish more people would have played that game, it is miles better than any MMO after it.

17. popej says:

I spent about 5 years playing Eve at near the highest level. In some ways it’s the best game I’ve ever played, but as someone else said above, you need so much spare time to get optimal fun from it. I look at Eve nowadays and like Jim says, I feel a certain envy at those still playing it. I yearn to go back once every 3-4 months but its just not realistic for me now.

The game still has so much potential, more than any other game ever released I’d argue.

18. CMaster says:

It didn’t take its inspiration from EvE, but I still hold that Minecraft is a better MMO (in the sense of what the early dreamers had them as) than most of the “actual” MMOs out there.

• Batolemaeus says:

Oh, you’re somewhat wrongish there.

Minecraft came after Notch stopped working on Wurm and it is a more approachable take on the same theme. Wurm and Eve evolved in parallel with a very similar design philosophy. In fact, I’d say that Eve is Wurm in space in a lot of ways.

So you could say that Minecraft is a child of Eve and Wurm.

19. Totally heterosexual says:

Good for them. Could not get into EVE myself. Mostly because the player base seemed like a punch of massive cockheads, but maybe I just had bad luck in that regard.

20. caustic says:

remember that of those 500k, prolly half of them are alts ;)

• Arglebargle says:

Everyone I know who plays EVE has two active accounts. Limited sample size of two players might skew that data though.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

It’s actually quite right, r^2=1, so there is no error in the guesstimates.

• PopeRatzo says:

“500,000 subscribers

Not 500,000 screen names.

• jalf says:

Well, the point they’re making is that many people who play Eve have multiple subscriptions.

if the game has 500,000 subscriptions, then it has significantly less than 500,000 players subscribing.

• solidsquid says:

It seems pretty common to have 30,000 concurrent users on Eve, with 48,000 at peak times, which is probably a better metric than the 500,000 for the reasons you mentioned. That said, having near 10% of your user base online at once every day seems pretty impressive, especially since I’m pretty sure you’re right and a lot of accounts are actually alts

• Hahaha says:

An alt in Eve is going to be on a new sub in most cases, if that alt is paid for with real cash is up in the air though.

• mickygor says:

It doesn’t even matter. CCP gets $7,500,00 every month regardless of how many are alts, and how many are powered by PLEX. Someone’s paying real money, even if that person isn’t playing the toon.

• jellydonut says:

They actually get more money if you pay with PLEX, considering PLEX is more expensive than a monthly sub.

21. derbefrier says:

Although its not really my thing. I have a lot of respect for what eve is and what it has accomplished. 10 years is a long fucking time for any game to stay relevant let alone profitable and for such a niche game like eve to accomplish this is pretty amazing.

22. choad100 says:

I miss you too EVE. Kumovi – Godfathers signing out.

23. Eclipse says:

I’m ok with the pullquote, but isn’t a pullquote with a drop shadow a bit tacky? Next article I expect at least an headline in comic sans.

24. slimcarlos says:

like Don implied I am dazzled that any one can get paid $7368 in a few weeks on the internet. have you seen this link http://www.pie21.com

25. Hunchback says:

Miss it too, but i don’t think i am coming back. The grind IS really very bad to pay a subscription for. *sigh*

26. Arglebargle says:

I do love the irony of the ‘Greatest game ever! I’m not playing it anymore.’ litany.

• Jae Armstrong says:

It makes perfect sense if you’re familiar with the game. The dream of EVE has always been more compelling than the actual gameplay.

• Emeraude says:

The fact that you can’t afford, for one reason or another, to play a game, may have little to no bearings with its intrinsic value.

People get physically unable to play some great games (either through old age or accidents), people get to parts of their lives when can’t afford to spend resources (either in the form of money or time) to play the game in a satisfactory way…

• PopeRatzo says:

Not at all. I bet you have a game you would call “the greatest game ever” that you don’t play anymore.

Not every great experience has to be eternal.

• solidsquid says:

Eve’s a bit like Dwarf Fortress, there’s a big investment needed to play the game, but you get back a huge amount of enjoyment if you have that time and are willing to invest.

27. Sardukar says:

It bored me. I like many MMOs, at least for a while, and some for years. EVE failed to interest me for more than an hour.

So, without deriding it, I would call it a so-so game. 500k is a lot of people – but there is a lot of us playing video games. There is a good reason EVE isn’t more popular.

It may be well done, but it doesn’t interest most of us.

• UncleLou says:

I would argue that one has to differentiate between the game itself and the concept for which it stands in the case of EVE.

The game as such, with its steep learning curve, required spare time, etc., might not interest that many people. The concept, however, of a “real” MMORPG that is more player-driven than anything else out there, and where the most excting things always seem to happen without any developer input, is something a lot of people are interested in. I don’t know of another (released) game where so many people who have never played it comment on it every time there are bigger news.

In my opinion, the next really big thing will be a game that combines the accessability of WoW with the freedom of EVE. I don’t know when this will happen, but it will happen at some point, and it will be huge. HUGE, even.

• Malibu Stacey says:

The sad thing is EVE-Online is very accessible already. It suffers from the perception that it’s hard as nails all the time when unless you wander off out into null sec, it’s really not.

• jellydonut says:

The gameplay itself is not fun on its own. It’s only fun if you play with other players against other players.

If you don’t like that kind of thing, then no. Skyrim is more your thing.

28. geldonyetich says:

So I take it that, if EVE Online has 500k subscribers, that means the average number of accounts being multiboxed is about 5 per person. ;)

29. Spinks says:

Welp, what I know is that one of my friends was really keen for me to try EVE and I asked “what’s the chance of finding a corps that isn’t going to be riddled with sexism, homophobia, and other stuff that will wind me up?”

And he said, “Yeah maybe it’s not the game for you.”

(Oh and referring to people as jews if they make lots of in game money off the auction house. Can we agree that’s not cool?)

• Redd says:

• jellydonut says:

Maybe you should work at not being offended by words.

• Drakedude says:

One of many joys of eve and mmo’s! And even commentators who for some reason read this site.

• Drakedude says:

Wiser men with more time to spare decided not to take the trollbait. You have lived up to my hopes. A peaceful report it is (or at least the next best thing).

• Askeladd says:

Had I read this comment sooner I could have fallen for it. Dang it.
            Well, maybe next time okay?
            How often did you check this stone old news’s comments section, if your trap had sprung?

P.S.: I really didn’t see this news… I still subscribe, just to unsubscribe again. I should just stop that, but my time investment.. sigh..

• jrodman says:

Maybe you should work on not being a prat.

30. Prime says:

…is the game that captured my imagination and attention for over five years. I miss it.

Really, Jim? You hide it well. :)

EVE has always appeared to be the game I’ve always wanted to play, the game I dream about…while in actuality it’s as boring as monitoring an excel spreadsheet (Actually, I think I enjoy spreadsheets more). Also it’s an MMO, a game type I resolutely avoid. So I’ve been pretty hard on it over the years, mostly, I think, because of that initial blinding promise that cruelly evaporated.

But yes, I can see why it is unique in all of gaming and why it should be lauded and praised at every turn. Happy Birthday, EVE. Oh, and thank you for being available to help birth Clear Skies. My life is infinitely richer for that.

• solidsquid says:

I played Eve for maybe 2 weeks, and in that time I did in fact make a spreadsheet to calculate the value of a trade vs time taken to travel between locations. Never really finished it, the distance vs value numbers were never really balanced well, but it did make things a bit easier if I was able to find things which I could make a profit on but wasn’t sure if the profit was enough

• Prime says:

Half of me is horrified you’d do that for a game, half of me burns with shame remembering I did that for Mafia Wars at one point (and that I actually played Mafia Wars) and the remaining half now is now excited to see your spreadsheet.

Spreadsheets allow you to have more than two halves, they’re that awesome.

31. derella says:

Eve is a game that I love reading about, and that I’ve always wanted to get into. Unfortunately, every time I try it, I realize I will never get to do any of the fun stuff I read about because of how much commitment it requires.

32. mickygor says:

I think EVE’s boring, but I’m going to temper my expression with platitudes of its achievements and vision.

At least, I would if that’s how I felt. EVE is awesome, but comments about EVE are homogenous.

• Morte66 says:

I think EVE is more fun on the Australian timezone.

On Oz TZ “small gang” means five people, every ship and fit counts, EWAR calling is crucial. A skilled gang can beat superior numbers, or lose but tell themselves they did well considering the disparity. It’s generally worth having a go.

On Euro TZ small gang means fifteen people, half the gang X up as “+1 DPS”. It’s very hard to call EWAR intelligently with so many targets and such a kill rate. And there’s fucking logisitics, which mean the smaller gang lose half their ships then run away whilst the bigger gang takes no losses except maybe a frigate.

…well, thal’s how I saw it when I quit 18 months ago, after I changed jobs and wasn’t working from home where I could moonlight on Oz TZ anymore.

Is that a homogenous comment? ;)

/Pascal Almaric, formery of Agony Unleashed (NPC 0.0 small gang PvP corp that I would recommend to anybody who wants a skilled fight)

33. Stupoider says:

BRING ON WORLD OF DARKNESS

34. Nintyuk says:

The Irony is I’m certain I would love EVE, But I don’t have the time or the money to dedicate to it so I’m not playing it out of prudence.

35. Vernalagnia says:

There’s a lot of foaming at the mouth about F2P WoW-killers and all that nonsense, but I think what EVE does is the real direction of the genre moving forward. That is to say, more niche-y, player driven, subscription based games that aren’t out to try and capture a giant swath of playerbase, but would prefer to have a smaller, steadier playerbase that wants, very specifically, the product that’s being offered. See something like Camelot Unchained that’s been grabbing a bit of pre-kickstarter buzz with its emphasis on large scale pvp and community building.

36. Malibu Stacey says:

EVE-Online is the only game which is true to the literal meaning of MMO.

Long may it shine and prosper.