Dreamfall Chapters Has A Stark, Arcadian Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on March 4th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

We all have our cultural blind-spots. Knowing nothing about it, The Longest Journey disappointed me, because it wasn’t a high-speed jeep journey across a post-apocalyptic landscape, but instead a story about a girl with a magicface and two addresses or something. Oh, I don’t know, why isn’t Adam writing this article? I was quite happy polishing my purple men and their guns.

Anyway, it seems that there’s now a trailer for the next Dreamfall game, which by a miraculous coincidence appears with less than a week to go on the Kickstarter campaign for that very same game. Conspiracy? I leave you to decide.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. CaspianRoach says:

That trailer music has made me quite sleepy.

2. Veritaas says:

Though I’m really excited about a return to the world, I think it was a bit early for a trailer. It’s pretty clear that there aren’t a whole lot of assets/game created yet. The content in that trailer was stretched a bit thin.

Still, from what I see so far it looks like it’s going to look great.

3. Dimonte says:

It bugs me so much that the only thing I really want from them is “The Longest Journey Home”, which is a 2 mil stretch goal that is almost certainly not going to happen. But I am a such a sucker for all things TLJ, I got myself one of the mid-high tiers anyway. Now I’m going to go cry in the corner like a sad Red Thread’s little bitch that I am.

4. yeastcapp says:

Why do you dream, dreamer? Do your dreams dream dreams of other dreamer’s dreams?

5. JabbleWok says:

This impresses me.

I enjoyed the first in the series, with its fascinating duality, but never played the second due to its inability to run on Win7 and the publisher’s complete lack of support for fixing that, or at least for the DRM-heavy disc version.

This latest seems to stretch the duality idea to many atmospheric realms, including a city with more than a hint of Blade Runner and Akira, as well as other bucolic places where their impressive art assets can sparkle. Will the story be good? That proof is only in the pudding but I have high hopes.

• CaspianRoach says:

I don’t know about Win7 but I replayed Dreamfall (steam version) a week ago on Win8 and it worked just fine both with K+M and a pad.

• JabbleWok says:

Yep, I’m aware there are now download versions, including DRM-free on gog, but as I’ve paid my money I’m reluctant to buy a second copy just to get a single working one. That DRM-disc nonsense and lack of support was the final straw that made me go for DRM-free games whenever possible. I’m happy that the new one will have that.

• CaspianRoach says:

Well now since you’ve bought it, there’s no reason you should be feeling bad about getting a pirated version that fixes something that should’ve been fixed by devs/publishers.
          It’s an interesting game and it raises a LOT of questions that are (hopefully) going to be addressed and answered in the upcoming games. Plus you get to visit locations from the first game in full 3D! How cool is that?

• JabbleWok says:

Yeah, but I just hate to have to stoop to that level. Trying again recently, I even mentioned that idea in my last email to the publisher (who describe it as Win7 compatible), but still got no reply. The official support site produces an “Untrusted Connection” warning, which is not a good sign. I may eventually buckle and buy the gog version, gritting my teeth knowing that some of the money goes to the useless publisher.

FWIW It means I’ll give a body swerve to their other products like The Secret World, though not really my type of game anyway. And warn others… be wary of Funcom!

• Tssha says:

The problem with a pirated version is that they often introduce bugs that didn’t exist in the original game. In breaking the DRM, they often break something else, and it might be relatively minor, OR it might be a crash bug that doesn’t exist in the original game.

I know the pirated version of Imperialism had a crash bug when you had a naval group selected and zoomed out to the zoomed out map mode, a bug that never existed in the original game. Thank goodness I was able to repurchase the game on GoG, or I might’ve had to put up with that bug forever (my disc copy was destroyed by sisterly negligence).

• JabbleWok says:

I’m extremely unkeen to take the pirate route for those and the other reasons, nor do I wish to go to what looks like a hacked website. See for yourself at http://www.dreamfall.com – choose “support”, then “contact”, and choose the only English-language option – “U.S. Support” – the Aspyr one. I suggest you don’t go further, as the certificate belongs to a different site. I emailed the electronic support address several weeks ago, but so far no response.

Note the publisher’s site at http://www.funcom.com/games/df includes the line:
            “OS: Windows XP/ Windows Vista/ Windows 7 “

• somnolentsurfer says:

I already own it on disc and on Steam, but if Red Thread ever got the rights to do a ‘director’s cut’ or the like, I’d quite happily buy it again. For all it’s faults, it’s one of those games I imagine myself replaying every couple of years for the rest of my life.

Not that that in any way addresses your problem, of course.

• Thirith says:

I got it on DVD and played it on Windows 7 64-bit without any problems whatsoever, and that was just last month.

• JabbleWok says:

I’m aware there are different versions – mine is the European Collector’s Limited Edition that came in a box with the pretty book and a disc for Longest Journey (which runs fine). What’s yours?

Edit=== Please note I’m railing against the earlier publisher, Funcom, not the excellent developers who are now going it alone with the new one.

Edit2=== Specifically the problem is a version of Starforce on the disc, which is reported as being bugged. Quite possibly they fixed the problem in later releases. At the time the advice was wait for a patch, but there’s still none available. There’s meant to be an unofficial one but I couldn’t find it recently and I’d still much prefer official support for a paid product.

• Thirith says:

The European Limited Edition, which also contains a soundtrack CD.

Thinking about it, though, it’s possible I also got the games on Steam and installed from there, in which case my point is pretty much, erm, pointless. Sorry. :-(

• JabbleWok says:

:-)))

This is one of those rare occasions where I’d prefer the gamebox to contain a Steam key!

6. DK says:

I’m super disappointed that Dreamfall Chapters is a pure Zoe story despite their early claims that it’s a continuation of Dreamfall. The party line is now that Dreamfall was Zoe’s story, despite the fact that for long stretches of it, it was quite clearly Aprils too.

• The First Door says:

As far as I’m aware, Chapters is a continuation of Dreamfall. They’ve announced it’ll have 3 controllerable characters, like Dreamfall, and that they’ve hired the same lady to voice act April Ryan for Chapters.

I think the point they are trying to make is that it won’t bridge the gap between TLJ and Dreamfall, as The Longest Journey Home is set in that space.

• deadpan says:

There were three playable characters in Dreamfall, but Zoe was clearly the lead (and the one other than April was almost a complete non-entity.) It’s not surprising that Chapters will probably be mostly about Zoe’s story.

I’m more worried about Zoe’s giraffe neck in that placeholder model in the trailer. Needs a bit of work.

7. jfrisby says:

I’ve been playing Dreamfall, to try to catch up and try to see the appeal of the series. I’ve actually enjoyed it, despite guessing the solutions to nearly every puzzle before all the time-consuming running around bits (a bit like the pointless platforming of The Cave, there). It’s too bad they couldn’t write the characters more intelligently, too — it feels a bit like the character is controlling a bunch of idiots that shouldn’t have left the house. Really weird experience.

8. Ross Angus says:

The trailer reminded me of this:

9. cjlr says:

I have to hand it to Jim. That is pretty much the worst article title in weeks. I made an actual audible groan, even.

Comment on this story