Out Of Exile: Torment Officially Going To Kickstarter

By Nathan Grayson on March 4th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Not pictured: the part where our mighty hero immediately turned around and ran away screaming.

As human beings with all the normal Products of the Flesh – hopes, dreams, and a single brain split between multiple bodies, inextricably intertwined via thick, ropy cords of spinal tissue – we at RPS are quite excited about inXile’s Planescape: Torment not-quite-a-sequel. It is, however, missing a couple key ingredients: 1) Planescape lead designer Chris Avellone and 2) money. So of course, inXile’s released a video of Chris Avellone explaining why you should give them money. On Kickstarter, by the way. That’s officially a thing now. Or at least, it will be very, very soon.

The Kickstarter’s due to kick off on March 6th, which the arbitrary social constructs of our time have deemed “Wednesday.” Until then, though, we have new info to tide you over.

“In Torment: Tides of Numeneraplayers will have to decide for themselves the eternal question: what does one life matter? Numenera’s Ninth World is a vision of a world in which massive civilizations continue to rise and fall with only cities, monuments, and artifacts left behind to serve as reminders of their past existence. These reminders have become part of the accumulated detritus of eons and now this assortment of ancient power is there for the taking. The humans of the Ninth World call the ancient power left behind the numenera. One of these humans has discovered a way to harness the numenera to grow strong, to cheat death, to skip across the face of centuries in a succession of bodies. But he discovers an unexpected side effect: You.”

Meanwhile, everything else looks to be pretty much as you’d expect: no DRM, “deep and reactive choices,” and – of course – intrinsic ties to Monte Cook’s recently Kickstarted Numenera role-playing system.

It’s nice to hear that so many former Planescapers are present and accounted for, too. I mean, I doubt they’ll be able to recapture the wonder of Planescape: Torment, but this is a new setting and system. I’ve come to terms with that fact, and honestly, if I wanted to play the original again, I’d just, you know, go replay the original. Sure, Chris Avellone’s off working on a different pseudo-successor to Planescape, but this is still a promising lineup. Will Tides of Numenera be better than the original? That’s an almost implausibly tall order. Truth be told, I’m doubtful, if only because Planescape’s such a special thing. But I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. guygodbois00 says:

“Monte Fucking Cook”. Meh.

• Trithne says:

Monte “Ivory Tower” Cook.

• aliksy says:

Yeah… Monte Cook is kind of an unsell.

Also, like I said in the last post about this, Tides of Numenera is a stupid name. It just sounds like trashy fantasy. Torment could be more than that.

• Squirly says:

You guys are such wet blankets, I swear you could smother a forest fire.

• Hoaxfish says:

From my passing interest in RPG stuff I’ve seen a general negative opinion of his work… but I can’t remember the specifics.

Something about “Monte Haul” or was that a TV host.

• Werthead says:

Monte Haul was an old-school D&D trope/problem that people bemoaned back in the 1980s, long before Cook became a major player in the game (which really came with his work on PLANESCAPE in the 1990s and then co-designing 3E in 2000). If anything, 3E tried to subvert the problem by requiring players to have tons of magical weapons/defences/bonuses to cope with even standard, level-appropriate monsters at high level, though in reality it just tends to exacerbate it.

The main problem with Monte Cook is that he’s simply successful, popular and well-known, so people immediately tend to criticise him. He’s no better or worse than lots of other P&P game designers around, he’s just higher in profile. I have to give him props for giving up the poisoned chalice of D&D 5E once it became clear what a total storm of controversy it was going to cause.

• Ansob says:

Haha, no. That’s not why people criticise Monte Cook.

Monte Cook is criticised for his association with “ivory tower game design.” The short version of what that means is essentially “game design that punishes new players by making the system deliberately obscure and hard to deal with and including choices that are bad by design.” It’s the school of thought that lead to a lot of the bad parts of 3.x (that’s D&D 3.0/3.5 and Pathfinder, if you’re not into RPGs).

Unfortunately, he’s been a bit of a one-hit-wonder since 3.0 (he retired from RPG writing for a while) and is mostly remembered for that nowadays. He’s also done other work, among them a single-city campaign setting called Ptolus which is absolutely bonkers massive in terms of number of words written and is quite good.

Numenera could be bad because of Monte Cook, or it could be good; this is the first time he’s tried his hand at anything that has mechanics this side of the Forge, so who knows how good it will be.

(For the unitiated, the Forge are a manifesto/design group created in 2002 that decided to rethink how RPG mechanics were written; they’re a pretty big deal in that the influence of their writings can be felt in pretty much everything new written since.)

• Jae Armstrong says:

This, and /tg/ at least seem to hold him personally responsible for caster supremacy.

• Ansob says:

He’s certainly part of the group that was responsible for it, yeah.

• aliksy says:

I hadn’t heard the term Ivory Tower Game Design before. I looked it up and am now full of Nerd Rage.
            “Monte Cook wrote an article several years ago that generated a lot of talk.  Basically some 3rd edition designers like the idea of “Timmy Cards” in Magic: The Gathering.  Timmy Cards are cards which look cool and awesome on the surface but aren’t very powerful and effective.  And so these D&D designers introduced the concept of Timmy Cards in the forms of certain spells, feats, etc..  The intent, both in M:tG and D&D, was to reward careful planning and mastery of the game.”

Fuck monte cook.

• Werthead says:

Caster supremacy has been a substantial problem in every version of AD&D to date. When you have one several classes which essentially have superpowers, and other classes don’t, than those classes will (eventually) dominate the game. The various STAR WARS systems have had the same problem: nerf the Jedi so they are balanced against, say, smugglers with blasters, and it’s completely untrue to the spirit of the setting. Ignore the problem and those classes will come to dominate the game, making the game not so much fun for the non-superpowered classes.

D&D’s answer to this is to balance over time, making the casters stupidly weak at the start and ludicrously overpowered at the end. This actually sort of works – in 2E there was a sweet spot somewhere around Level 6-12 where casters were formidable but limited enough in number of spells that the non-casters were still essential for success – but 3E made the problem much worse by both boosting the power level of casters through various feats and also having a much, much faster levelling mechanic (in 2E my party could go weeks and multiple sessions without levelling; in 3E it was unusual to go more than 1 or 2 sessions without levelling).

So yeah, I can see why Cook might get a bit of the blame for that. But the bigger-picture problem of caster power dominance has basically been there since day one.

• aliksy says:

And then when 4e tried to solve it by giving every class special powers, people screamed.

Solution: Play any system other than D&D/d20. Avoid systems that take heavy inspiration from D&D, too.

• mihor_fego says:

Having played D&D among other p&p rpgs for 20 years now, I can certainly say that mechanically, it’s one of the most atrociously unbalanced games ever… BUT this actually never stopped me, or any among the dozens of people I’ve played with, from enjoying the game.
            In fact, many of these “bad” design choices are what make the game fun. Yes, my groups have always got excited at having to go through tens of books to unbury the best you can find to min/max your character. In a way, this is pretty much like deck-building in a card game: you’ve got to find what works together for an optimal result.
            About the whole issue with spellcasters becoming too god-like, let’s just say that first, if you play a high level wizard you should feel like a Merlin compared to the high level warrior Arthur. Second, I’ve had experience with a high level powerful party many times and something you should know, the power of the spellcasting classes actually comes from them being support to the combat damage dealers. Any other style of group dynamics is less optimized.

• aliksy says:

Well, yes, you can have fun with good friends using any system. I played an impromptu one-shot using rock paper scissors for conflict resolution once. It was fun! But system does matter, and the things that d20 encourages are not things I want to do. Min/maxing combat monsters bores me now.

Also the math that supports it is bad. Dice pool is just better and exploding dice (figuratively! it means you reroll a good result and both rolls count) are just more exciting. Yeah, rolling a natural 20 is kind of cool (unless you fail to confirm. ugh). But rolling 5 successes on 2 dice is just as or more exciting.

• JFS says:

It’s called the “Monty Haul”, which underlines that it’s got nothing much to do with Cook :)

• Andrew says:

Monte Cook is an excellent designer: Ptolus, Arcana Unearthed, and his Malhavoc Press books show that. His articles have been very insightful. I think it’s great that the game will be based on Numenera.

2. BobbyDylan says:

I made the mistake of not backing Wasteland 2. I dont’ plan on being so silly this time round….

• MondSemmel says:

I’m the opposite: I donated to the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter. From all I know, that game will turn out great. But no matter how much goodwill the Torment license generates: There’s no way I’ll donate to a second Kickstarter until the first one has produced a finished game.

In fact, I find the timing of this second Kickstarter completely insane. Perhaps it’s necessary for the company or something, but still: Insane.

• Dowson says:

I agree with you, many people will trust a company with one Kickstarter, but 2?
        Plus, pretty much all these major Kickstarter games are still in the works, they could all turn out to be disastrous and half baked.

I don’t expect this to do amazingly well to be honest.

• Lambchops says:

Yeah, much as I like Torment (I’d back a spiritual of successor over Wasteland any day, indeed I only really backed Wasteland due to early days Kickstarter exuberance) I’m not inclined to back one company with two Kickstarter projects at once. If Wasteland 2 is successfully released to a good standard (even if I didn’t like it) I wouldn’t hesitate but I’m not inclined to put multiple money eggs in two baskets being carried by the same person, even if they are wearing a rather natty jumper. Or something to that effect!

• Tacroy says:

Eeeeeh it does make sense from InXile’s perspective though – if the company has a dedicated team of artists and writers, their job pipeline is going to start running dry fairly soon as Wasteland 2 nears release.

That’s why even the honest game companies sometimes release skins (maybe with tweaked statistics) as day-one DLC; when the game nears release, the art staff isn’t actually doing anything besides waiting for QA to find graphical glitches so they might as well start working on something else.

• Greg says:

It’s all to do with the development process and keeping people working when their current duties on a particular game are done. For instance, the conceptual artists who had been working on Wasteland 2 are likely sitting around drawing caricatures of each other whilst humming the super mario bros world 1-2 theme. A business needs to keep producing in order to keep in business. They are just pitching to the consumers via kickstarter vs some drooling risk-averse publisher.

• StranaMente says:

I donated for the wasteland 2 kickstarter and I’m quite happy for how it’s going on.
        The fact that there two games being produced by the same medium-large company it’s absolutely no surprise to me, it’s common practice not only because they can work on multiple games at once, but also because it’s economically advisable to do so.
        In these kind of companies there is part of the team that my be under-used or not working at all depending on the phase of developement, so it’s reasonable to have multiple projects going, so you can hire full time some professionists, instead of contracting them for single games and laying them off as soon as they finish.

• Lambchops says:

That is indeed true and all very sensible but as a customer it’s nice to know if said team members produce a good product before throwing more money at them.

• Werthead says:

InXile aren’t a new company, and have produced quite a few games to date. Whether CHOPLIFTER HD, HUNTED and THE BARD’S TALE are representative of what they’re doing with their new RPGs is questionable, but they’ve been around for ten years and completed quite a few projects. So you can always check them out, or at least the reviews of their previous games.

• Hoaxfish says:

The reviews don’t seem to paint their games as “good products”, at least not on the scale of the games they’re attempting to reproduce.

• Werthead says:

Agreed. Which is why I’m waiting to see how WASTELAND 2 turns out before I’d consider contributing to another one of their Kickstarters.

• Jason Moyer says:

Bard’s Tale and Hunted were both excellent, I don’t really understand why people didn’t like them.

The Bard’s Tale reboot was the only genuinely funny comedy-oriented cRPG I’ve ever played, and pretty much nailed every single cliche imaginable while having solid, if unspectacular gamepad hack-and-slash gameplay.

Hunted was Gears of Hexen. Hexen II from a third person perspective with co-op. I guess the game would probably be short and mediocre if you railroad the main questline, but it has some massive and interesting optional areas with environmental puzzles and occasionally challenging combat.

• stiffkittin says:

The Bard’s Tale is a polarising kind of game. I think many found the humour too heavy-handed to be funny. Hunted also had a very self-referential story and dialogue, but it was subtler and delivered through more likeable characters and better acting. Whereas TBT repeatedly hammered me over the head with it’s bawdiness, with a rubber mallet, with Benny Hill’s bespectacled mug on it.

I think Hunted got a bit of flak for being derivative of better games, with a cover-shooting mechanic that meshed clumsily with the archaic weapons and setting. Also, the co-op puzzles in single player could be eye-gougingly aggravating, with beyond retarded npc AI. In the end I didn’t mind it either though. Pity Bethesda dropped support for it like a hot potato.

• Jack-Dandy says:

Yep, same situation here.

I’ll make it a bit more balanced, though- if Wasteland 2 ends up great, I’ll probably pre-purchase the new Torment game.

• stiffkittin says:

A year later, Kickstarters in general are a much harder sell. Particularly in light of current issues surrounding the idea of pre-ordering. Combined with the obvious unlikelihood of the project making anywhere near Wasteland’s total, it’s going to make many who’d have thrown money at it sight-unseen much more careful.

I’d love to see it come to fruition and believe the setting has a lot of potential. But after Dreamfall: Chapters I’m wondering myself if it’s not time to take a back seat and wait for the thing to be made before purchasing.

• DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

The only problem I see with kickstarter is a lot of people are confused about what it is. They see it as just a preorder system for something that doesn’t exist yet, or think they’re becoming investors who are promised a return. It’s patronage. You’re donating to an artist you like and hopefully they’re going to use your donation to help produce a work for you to enjoy out of it. If nothing ends up coming out of it and you’re getting upset about it then you were confused about what you were getting into to begin with.

Also people keep saying, “people aren’t backing them like they used to, kickstarter has changed, etc” but I’m still only seeing the lame looking or troubled ones fail so far, same as always. Chris Taylor’s looked like it was going to succeed but I guess it wasn’t succeeding fast enough. It sounded like they asked for a million dollars and could have got it but actually they really wanted four million, or something. Laying off the whole company in the middle of it probably didn’t help either.

I feel like any mention of kickstarter tries to make it into some big controversial thing it isn’t. If I had to guess I think it stems from certain people just having a disposition to lash out at panhandling.

• stiffkittin says:

I agree there’s confusion on what backing means and I’m with you on the principle of it. Don’t let that give you illusions though, to the reality of videogame kickstarters. The majority of rewards are all about reception of the final product and for the majority of backers, that’s why they’re there.

The reason I mention the pre-order controversy is because whether backing is pre-ordering or not will continue to be academic for many Kickstarter users. Unfortunately, it doesn’t exactly serve the developers themselves to make the uncertainty of backing and their lack of accountability, abundantly clear to people in advance of clearing their funding goal.

This may be entirely subjective but I feel individual, high profile Kickstarters are making less, over-all, and taking longer to get there than even 6 months ago. I hope you’ll prove me wrong but I think Torment’s progress will be a heck of a lot slower than W2′s, and the final result more modest.

• fdisk says:

I hear you; although I’m on the opposite boat. As long as there is a strong, solid pitch and a good team with a good track record behind it I will back it (Also, if the price is not outrageous, $15 is the sweet spot here)

I’ve backed:
        - Double Fine Adventure (We get monthly updates and the game is coming along nicely)
        - Wasteland 2 (We got a gameplay video that looks solid!)
        - Shadowrun Returns (Regular updates, gameplay video coming this weekend!)
        - Banner Saga (Multiplayer is out right now and it’s pretty fun, pretty much exactly what they promised)
        - Star Citizen (Regular weekly updates)
        - Project Eternity (Also regular weekly updates with tons of info and videos of the game engine running)

So yeah, I’m honestly very confident in all of those and looking forward to the final product. I never care for Planescape Torment myself, but I would consider backing it because my Kickstarter experience thus far has been very positive.

• InternetBatman says:

Same here. I haven’t seen nearly enough of Wasteland 2 to consider backing this.

• Lemming says:

I donated to Wasteland 2 and project Eternity, so I’m not really seeing what this is going to offer that both of those aren’t. I think it’s great if we get more tradtional RPGs made, but I see little point in kickstarting them all.

If they wait until Wasteland 2 and Eternity have been released and are successful, they probably wont need to be kickstarted.

• fdisk says:

It’s not about needing to do it through Kickstarter, it’s about wanting to do it this way in order to do it right without Publisher interference.

3. Emeraude says:

Wondering in what measure starting this so early, before having even released Wasteland 2, is going to hurt the backing. If at all.

• stiffkittin says:

I really wish Brian Fargo had pitched this idea last year instead of Wasteland. It’s much more original, while the presence of the IP is that much fresher in the gamer consciousness. At the zenith of kickstarter fever and with Chris Avellone free to co-write, it would’ve been a no-brainer. Easily meeting, if not topping the Wasteland total.

Now… I don’t know. People have settled down into more of a wait-and-see mindset. It’s definitely missed its prime window of opportunity and would benefit from a little time to simmer before being launched.

Fargo’s kind of evangelistic attitude to crowdfunding probably won’t serve him all that well this time around either.

4. Keirley says:

WHAT is wrong with Chris Avellone’s thumb?

5. Werthead says:

I gather the reason they are launching the Kickstarter now is that the writing and a lot of the early conceptual stuff on WASTELAND 2 is done, and rather than have those people sitting around twiddling their thumbs until the end of the year, they could get cracking on this new project.

I do agree, however, that this is something they are going to have to carefully explain in the pitch video and initial Kickstarter document. Asking people to contribute to a second Kickstarter when the first one is not done is a big ask. I wouldn’t be surprised if TIDES OF NUMENERA does hit its goal, but it might take longer and might be a lot closer than WASTELAND 2.

• The Random One says:

It seems they are trying to replace outside investors with backers for all large projects, in which it makes sense to jump into another one just as soon as the first’s prelimiary portions are done. Not sure if it’ll work, since KS depends so much on people’s opinions.

I probably won’t be backing because I don’t like fantasy RPGs, but who knows? (As poorly named as the Numenera setting is, it’s not straight fantasy, right?

• Werthead says:

NUMENERA seems to be somewhere between the ‘Dying Earth’ and ‘New Weird’ schools of fantasy, as opposed to the more traditional epic fantasy of something like DRAGON AGE or BALDUR’S GATE. Definitely looks a lot more offbeat and interesting.

6. Skeez says:

I shall back this. I like the concept they are going with, and although Chris won’t be on in an official capacity I’m sure nothing stops them from running things by him for quick consultation.

7. BD says:

Werthead beat me to it.

I was going to throw in a few insults meant especially for you armchair developers who have no fucking idea how a development timeline works, but now it’s not necessary :(

Anyway, I’d like to hear from Avellone why he won’t be pitching in with character design of his own.

• Meat Circus says:

Fairly obviously: because they’ll deploy Avellone as a stretch goal when the campaign starts to flag.

• mondomau says:

Shame he beat you to it, because then we’d have got to listen to your stroppy, righteous indignation at how ignorant prospective backers are for not understanding the dev process and for requiring some kind of explanation of why they should be at ease with shelling out again.

Sadly, Werthead just resorted to helpfully and calmly explaining the likely motivation and acknowledged there was probably some mileage in the Devs making this clear themselves in order to facilitate the Kickstarter’s success. What a git!

• stiffkittin says:

Because insulting people questioning the wisdom of a second fund-raising campaign at this time would have been super-constructive.

• solidsquid says:

One of the core issues with crowd funding is that, by definition, a large proportion of your supporters won’t know how the standard dev cycle works. This being the case, they should explain why they’re working on a second game when the first is still pending to settle any concerns about them abandoning the other project. Insulting “armchair developers” for commenting on this would just be bad business sense, these are the people funding the project and it’s the developer’s job to sell the project to them and put any fears to rest that they can.

So while you’re criticising people for being armchair developers, you yourself are acting like an armchair project manager, making similarly obvious mistakes to the people you were criticising

• BD says:

Ignorance is not to be defended, neither is spouting off and jumping to conclusions.

You post ignorant comments, you deserve everything that’s coming to you.

Also your logic regarding the “armchair project manager” is textbook for false equivalency. My annoyance with uninformed people posting uninformed opinions is well within my bounds.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

I’m sure Inexile will thank you for your exercising of your right to be an asshole. Hopefully you wont have alienated too many potential backers.

• Terragot says:

Fargo, pls leave.

8. Meat Circus says:

Warning: city may be made of guts.

9. karthink says:

This concept has broken through my skepticism filters and will be receiving all my money.

10. kael13 says:

Dunno.. I don’t trust anyone with a thumb as extensile as that.

11. Don Reba says:

Numenera asked for 20K and got half a million. Insanity!

12. Abendlaender says:

As much as I like Planescape I backed so many Kickstarters, I kinda wanna wait until some of them actually come out….let’s wait and see.

On a sidenote: Why does it always have to be fantasy (I know in this case, cause it’s Torment) but I would love a Classic RPG in a Sci-Fi Setting…

• stiffkittin says:

It’s not clearly explained here but Numenera is actually a sci-fi setting. The central conceit being that it all happens in such a far-flung future that incomprehensibly advanced science, nano-technology and the like, is viewed through a mystical lens and takes the place of magic in a fantasy setting. Not unlike the Warhammer 40k universe.

• botonjim says:

For what I just read it sounds a lot like Jack Vance’s Dying Earth stories: impossibly far and somewhat decadent future from which the whole human history is contemplated, time travel and magic. I’m sure this Monte guy acknowledges the debt somewhere.

• i saw dasein says:

Yep, in the Numeneria kickstart Monte Cook said the game was influence by Jack Vance. Which is awesome.

• Werthead says:

The original vision of D&D was actually very Jack Vance, particularly in the spells (which are often directly lifted from THE DYING EARTH). The original GREYHAWK setting also had a few hints it was set in a distant future (Dave Arneson’s BLACKMOOR – later retconned into the GREYHAWK world – had crashed spaceships and even a working tank, IIRC). Gygax often said he was influenced way more by Jack Vance and Fritz Leiber (there was even an official D&D setting based on LANKHMAR for a while) than he was by Tolkien.

DRAGONLANCE and FORGOTTEN REALMS are really what took D&D much more directly down the Tolkienesque epic fantasy path.

• Hoaxfish says:

That’s one of my “things” too.

We’ve seen 100s of fantasy (usually read as “Tolkien knock-offs”) RPGs, but sci-fi is woefully under-represented… and even when it does get a look in, it’s often “post apocalyptic” (Wasteland, Fallout, Stalker, etc).

The best we’ve had recently is Mass Effect. While that was promising at the start, that we could have a new setting on the scale of Star Wars or Star Trek or at least Stargate (multiple races, space opera, etc), the series has fallen over.

• Beybars says:

There’s Shadowrun Returns, it’s looking great so far. It’s not pure sci-fi since it adds fantasy into the mix.

And you have Underrail, post-apocalyptic sci-fi, I tried the demo, it’s a cRPG game overall, definitely has potential.

• Hoaxfish says:

That’s true, also Cyberpunk 2077 and a possible Deus Ex 4.

• sinister agent says:

Some people have been asking that question for thirty years.

1500s America. Victorian London. Ancient Rome. An alien planet. 1920s Chicago. The Boxer rebellion.

Nah fuck it, let’s make game #43,943,986 about orcs and dragons and skeletons.

• karthink says:

Planescape: Torment had none of those things. Well, it had a skull.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

There’s also the problem that a setting is often just that… a setting. Just a different coloured canvas in front of which the action takes place. Scifi is (used to be?) about ideas. Ideas that should be at the heart of what you’re making.

13. DestructibleEnvironments says:

How much did we dislike their previous game: Hunted: Demons Forge?

• Lars Westergren says:

I never played it, but I’m pretty sure this will be a very different game. I haven’t played Wasteland 2 either, but what I’ve seen so far of it makes me very excited, so I’m going to pledge quite a lot to this one too.

• neolith says:

Good god, Hunted was bad. Really bad. Exceptionally bad.

It currently holds place three on my list of games I will always regret buying – right after Aquanox and Söldner.

• Jason Moyer says:

I thought it was great. It’s basically Hexen in modern skin, an action game with some puzzling, exploration, and light RPG elements as opposed to a normal hack-and-slash RPG. Whenever I get my backlog whittled down I plan on going through and trying to hit all of the optional areas and also hopefully getting someone to try out the co-op.

14. caddyB says:

Sigh, I wish they released Wasteland first. But I’ll back it regardless, I’m Brian Fargo’s bitch at this point, especially after seeing Wasteland gameplay.

15. DrGonzo says:

Planescape is pretty much my favourite game. But no Planescape setting or Chris Avellone means im not interested and this isn’t a real sequel at all.

Careful what you wish for!

• Beybars says:

We all knew it was never going to be a sequel, Brian Fargo said as much since the beginning. It’s mostly related to IP rights, either Atari or Wizards of the Coasts have them.

Chris Avellone gave his blessing, and given the names working on this game, I have every bit of confidence. Brian Fargo is a veteran in making cRPG’s afterall, did you see the Wasteland 2 gameplay video?

• DrGonzo says:

I understand there are reasons for losing the Planescape settings, but regardless, that was one of the main reasons the game was great. Also, the gameplay doesn’t concern me much, far more interested in the writing.

And I don’t really care about his blessing i just think it will be a much worse project without him. Should be put on hold until he can be involved.

• Werthead says:

Several of the other TORMENT creative team are involved, including writers who worked on the game (Avellone didn’t write PS:T by himself, as he himself often points out).

Avellone is my go-to guy for intelligent RPGs, although he has had some unremarkable stuff out there (ICEWIND DALE in particular, which was fun but not very deep, though he wasn’t head writer on that), but I think other people can do a good job with the game as well. Particularly Cook and McComb, who both worked on the P&P setting, with McComb also writing chunks of PS:T.

• karthink says:

I thought Planescape added little to the themes of the story. The whole belief-shapes-reality mechanic was never really sold in the game, and its strengths were mostly those of characterization and writing.

16. Hobz says:

Of course they can have my money. All of it.

• solidsquid says:

Keep a little for food and rent, pretty sure they want people to survive long enough to actually play the game they’re making

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

They should offer room and board as one of the top tier rewards

17. D3xter says:

Too early. I want to see Wasteland 2 out or at least nearly finished and in playable late Beta stages before I decide on backing this.

For me to even jump in on the early stages of this they’re going to have to awfully impress me.

18. deadpan says:

I think I’ll wait to see how Wasteland 2 turns out first. Brian Fargo seems like a good guy who loves games but I remember the mess that was Interplay’s Stonekeep back in the day. I also played inXile’s Bard’s Tale remake which probably looked really great on paper but ended up being a lot of wasted potential. Sheer enthusiasm doesn’t always overcome production issues.

I’m still glad they’re making Torment 2 (and they probably won’t have any issue getting it funded), but I’ll hold off till release to buy it. I want to see one of these big-name game dev nostalgia kickstarters produce something worthwhile before they pass the hat around again.

• Don Reba says:

What do you mean, “a lot of wasted potential?” Bard’s Tale is one of the funniest games out there.

19. Continuity says:

I’ll back it, but only because I loved planescape, and only at the minimum amount that will get me the game. I put quite a lot of money (like $130) in the the wasteland 2 kickstarter, so I’d like to see some fruits from that before I consider my faith in Brian justified.

20. iridescence says:

Throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening :(

21. lowprices says:

Dear Developers of games that I liked years ago:

STOP DOING KICKSTARTERS I DON’T HAVE ANY MONEY LEFT AAAAGH.

Love and kisses,

Me.

22. ZX k1cka55 48K says:

That really updated my Journal.

(cant wait)

23. Citrus says:

“Tides of Numenera”, compared to the catchy and cool sounding “Planescape Torment”.

This sounds like “Hunted: Demon Forge” in the making (not because of name, because of inExile). So no, I won’t back it up.

Also, without Chris Avellone I am expecting shit quality writing anyway (similar to Demon Forge and Wasteland 2 gameplay video).

• Lemming says:

It’s “Planescape: Torment”, actually. ie. ‘A Story called Torment in the Planescape setting’. Not ‘the tormenting of Planescape.’

24. cervor says:

Something about the idea of Torment resists the idea of a direct follow-up, which makes a responsible reshuffling of cards in some respects or circumstances a perfectly valid way to go. Generally I think this project is worthy of support, insofar as almost any project can be, without any extensive rationalization of its supposed justification.

25. MeestaNob says:

Maybe try finishing one game first…

26. derella says:

I would love another RPG like PST(or even Mask of the Betrayer). I do have some reservations though.

For one, it’s not Planescape. Sure, the reason for this is understandable… but it doesn’t mean it’s not an issue. Also, I’ve never heard of Numenara until now. Doesn’t mean it’s bad, but I know nothing about it.

Then there is the fact that inXile has never made a game I’ve ever been interested in playing. The 2 notable games they have released garnered mediocre reviews at best, and praise from any source is rare. This is partly why I didn’t back Wasteland 2.

That, combined with the fact that I’ve backed quite a few Kickstarters already, and none of them have been released yet… I dunno. I feel like maybe I’ll sit this one out, and just buy it when it is released.

27. shadow9d9 says:

They won’t even tell people if the game is turn based or not until after the kickstarter. No thanks. If W2 is good, then I will consider this. Til then, they are just getting greedy… I don’t care if you throw out a few big names.. they don’t single handedly make a game.

28. drewski says:

I might be more inclined to give them money if they’d successfully shipped their first game. I understand why they’ve done it this way, but it doesn’t make me want to give them money.

Think I’ll wait and see.

29. ninjapirate says:

The Planescape setting as such deserves more credit. While Avellone certainly did a stellar job, the campaign setting is what created the atmosphere of “Planescape: Torment”.
    It was people like Monte Cook who helped shape that setting in the first place, Avellone had no part in that.