Waaagh-Face: Slitherine Announce Turn-Based 40K Game

By Adam Smith on March 18th, 2013 at 3:31 pm.

First there was SPACE HULK SPACE HULK SPACE HULK SPACE HULK SPACE HULK and now there’s, erm, a turn-based Warhammer 40K strategy game of indeterminate nature a turn-based Warhammer 40K strategy game of indeterminate nature a turn-based Warhammer 40K strategy game of indeterminate nature! A few days ago, Games Workshop announced that they had made a deal with the developer but I didn’t expect news of a game to arrive so quickly.

In fairness, there isn’t much to say beyond the fact that the game will definitely be turn-based, will feature PBEM multiplayer, and is coming to PC and iPad. I’m not too worried about the multi-platform info since I’d rather have detailed stats and big maps than extreme close ups of explosions. More details may appear in the announcement thread and hopefully we’ll know more soon.

Have we done ‘waaagh-face’ already, by the way?

, , .

1. BTAxis says:

Why not, might as well take that first step on the road to disappointment.

Lars Westergren says:

Turn based, has PBEM, by the people who made Panzer Corps…what about this is that makes you feel you have to prepare for disappointment? I think it sounds pretty promising so far.

• Haplo says:

Exactly. It’s hope.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Some_Guy says:

And the dark side.

• Syra says:

Uhh Combo breaker?

I put it to you sirs, that it could be Chaos Gate, or it could be Rites of War. Discuss.

• docjaq says:

Ahh, Chaos Gate! I loved that game. Except for the cultist sound effects.

• Grape says:

They have also brought us an awful lot of shit, let’s not forget.

• Jools says:

They haven’t really made very many terrible games, though, and their recent releases have been all been good. They’ve certainly generated a bit of good will from me just because of their really fantastic iPad releases.

• killias2 says:

Well, it’s Slitherine, so it’ll probably cost about 60 dollars with a once-a-year opportunity to get it for 45 dollars. There will also be a couple 60 dollar expansion packs for those who want the real experience, so be prepared to take it up the ass. I’d also suggest keeping that initially download installation file. I guess their policies are getting less restrictive, but I get the sense that Matrix/Slitherine still do not look kindly upon re-downloads.

• KDR_11k says:

Sounds cheaper than real world WH40k

• Stuka_JU87 says:

“, but I get the sense that Matrix/Slitherine still do not look kindly upon re-downloads.”. I’ve re-downloaded my slitherine games countless times over the years. I’ve also recently had them resend me download links with no problems whatsoever.

• Twirrim says:

“Coming to PC and iPad”. The latter mostly has me cautious.

• iucounu says:

There’s no reason an iPad version of a TBS needs to be a terrible limiting factor – I like TBS games on iPad very much, you don’t need tremendous amounts of hardware oomph – but there’s always the interface to worry about.

• finbikkifin says:

Battle Academy has an excellent iPad version, and yet the PC version is just fine. It also somehow manages to sell well at $20 in the sodding iOS market, which must be some kind of miracle, because barely anything gets over $5 there.

An iOS version in this case is not a red flag!

• Calculon says:

Cant be worse than SimCity – so obviously Im in…..

2. Hillbert says:

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!

Screwie says:

Wow. I never expected a faithful turn-based version of one of GW’s big two games to happen. This could be the start of something fantastic.

• Ace Rimmer says:

It’s a turn-based strategy game set in the W40k universe, not quite the same thing. Could still be good, though, just don’t expect a full PC version of one of Games Workshop’s main money makers.

Screwie says:

Yeah, I know I am making a big presumption there. One can hope though!

• Everblue says:

I expect it to be a version of those card-only games they did – wasn’t one of them called Armageddon, or something?

Ah – found it

Two players, one was the imperials and the other was orcs. Orcs charge forward and crush all the imperial guard, meanwhile the imperials have to hold out until the marines arrive. Fun game.

• King_Rocket says:

Sounds smiler to the epic scale game, Final liberation.

I remember the card based games but never played them due to the cost of playing the full games, 40k etc.

• wodin says:

You are correct it isn’t going to be like the tabletop game..have it from a very good source. Slitheirne would love to do that..GW are very protective over that side of the business though..even though I don’t think it would cut into their tabletop profits.

• colw00t says:

It won’t be one of their core games, because GW thinks of everything as driving sales towards their miniatures. It will be a version of one of the spinoff games. I’m guessing gorkamorka.

• iucounu says:

GW must be crapping themselves over 3D printing. They have about five years to realign themselves into an IP-based company, or they’re toast.

4. P4p3Rc1iP says:

Gork and/or Mork will be pleased!

Makariel says:

May the armour’s shade protect your body.
    May the weapon’s hue help slay those that doubt.
    May the banner’s livery proceed before you.
    May you illuminate the darkness with the Emperor’s light.

• mouton says:

Being a fanatic is such a wonderful fantasy, captured marvelously in W40K.

If only people didn’t try it irl, heh

strangeloup says:

Gorkamorka and Battlefleet Gothic and Epic and Necromunda (in ascending order of want) are all technically 40k games, in that they’re part of that universe.

Set phaserslasguns to cautiously optimistic.

7. P4p3Rc1iP says:

So… When’s anyone going to do a story driven 40k/Dark Heresy based RPG?

• Caleb367 says:

I’d be willing to enter a swearing contest with an Angry Marine for that.

• colw00t says:

I’d love to see Chris Avellone’s take on it, but GW is waaaay too protective of their franchise to let a good writer at the material. Good licensed RPGs seem to require a pretty hands-off approach from the IP owner, and GW will never do anything of the sort.

Still, one can dream.

8. caddyB says:

So, Final Liberation 2?

JiminyJickers says:

This would be awesome. I would love a new game based on Epic 40k.

9. cptgone says:

a “40K Game”? surely no one would charge that much? oh wait it’s Slitherine ;)

10. fearghaill says:

I’m honestly surprised by this, I didn’t think GW would license any turn-based 40K games for fear of it cutting into their miniature sales.

That said, I will be similarly surprised if this doesn’t have unit unlock DLC by the bucketload to replace said miniature sales.

• caddyB says:

GW is very smart. I think they are moving on with the times.

• mondomau says:

I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic, or just aren’t very familiar with GW business practices, but this comment is hilarious.

• Haplo says:

It’s been done.

Check out a game in the Nineties called Star Trek: ConQuest Online. It was basically a ‘card game’- the game gave you pregenerated decks and you had to buy new pieces.

I cut my teeth on ST:CO’s chatrooms. Good times.

• KDR_11k says:

There’s a Blood Bowl game already. Sure, not as profitable as full 40k but they licensed it.

• wodin says:

As I said in the last article..it ISN’T going to be like the tabletop game as GW are to protective..this is from a very good source.

11. Gurrah says:

For PC and iPad? Yeah, like that’s ever going to be a proper PC-game. When I read about them aquiring the license I thought great, a strategy publisher picks up Warhammer… but this is disheartening at the least.

GiantPotato says:

I don’t really see how the iPad’s differences from a PC necessarily work to the detriment of a turn-based strategy game. If they were making a corridor shooter then I would see the problem right away, but a TBS doesn’t need precision controls or a complex representation to be good.

• 1stGear says:

Panzer Corps is published by Slitherine and currently has an iPad version in development. Its also one of the best TBS games available.

Turns out if you don’t load the game down with a physics engine and bleeding-edge graphics, neither of which strategy games need, they run pretty well on whatever you put them on.

• mouton says:

We will see. It can be done well.

12. Runty McTall says:

Am I the only person here who had to look up “PBEM”?

My tutor at uni used to go mental if I used an acronym (or initialism) in an essay without expanding it first.

• mouton says:

While I agree with the general sentiment, we have to live with some level of established acronyms. IMO.

• Kamos says:

At some point in the 90s, it was almost impossible for one to be a gamer and not know what PbEM meant. Very few games support this kind of play now. This is as niche as it gets.

13. wodin says:

It’s NOT going to be a PC version of the tabletop game. Iain told me GW are way to protective over it sadly.

SO as a guess I think something along the lines of Chaos Gate.

No doubt there will still be comments below saying “Hopefully like the tabletop game”…

14. Kernkraftritter says:

no mention of
    - Rites Of War
    - Final Liberation
    - Chaos Gate?

oh come on. there’s really no need for a 40k strategy game at this time, and I’m pretty sure no sane man would buy one as long as people like our spiritual liege Matt Ward have anything to say…

• Jediben says:

Necromunda turn-based squad-based online only massively multiplayer first person / third person persistant microtransaction fueled strategy shooter. You heard it fabricated here first!

15. SkittleDiddler says:

I’m looking forward to whatever it turns out to be, as long as the DLC and microtransactions are kept at a reasonable level. I don’t want a repeat of those abominations Retribution and Space Marine.

16. Ender7 says:

I just want another original dow series with updated graphics, that was the best game ever. Dow II was lazy design and sucked bad. Not sure how I feel about this. It probably will be boring human centric which is ok I guess, but I am a necron fan myself. Building the necron pyramid of flying death was the ultimate high.

17. Jorum says:

It won’t be a version of main WH40K, so question is will it be adaptation of existing spin-off or something new.

Existing spin-off options are basically Battlefleet , Gorkamorka , Necromunda , Epic
    The first three are all too far from main 40K to be goers IMO.
    (and as much as I’d love online Necromunda, would be very complex project and doesn’t make enough use of 40K license.)

Epic would seem to fit Slitherine very well, and would be pretty cool option.

• wodin says:

Think we are looking at something like Chaos Gate..which is no bad thing.

• Bloodshot says:

The game may turn out to be similar tof Warhammer 40000: Rites of War (SSI 1999) which was based on the Panzer General 2 engine.

• wodin says:

hmmm…hadn’t thought of that..could well be. I’d prob be disappointed with that though.

18. sonson says:

I think I see where this is going.

Stock game comes with 1500 points of a few factions. New squads, characters, vehicles and unlocking new armies will cost ala the tabletop game, just not as much.

• wodin says:

Did you not read my post it isn’t going to be a tabletop conversion.

19. Davie says:

I don’t know, I’m still more excited for what the Creative Assembly will do with the Warhammer license.

20. zacharygordon703 says:

Justin. I agree that Francisco`s story is terrific… on tuesday I bought a new Mazda sincee geting a check for $6390 this – 4 weeks past and in excess of 10k last munth. without a question it is the most-financialy rewarding I’ve ever had. I actually started 6 months ago and practically straight away startad making at least $77, per-hour. I follow the details here, http://www.fly38.com

21. Nick says:

Necromunda please.

Have to say it till it happens.

22. Geen says:

Let it be Gorkamorka…

23. Kevin says:

I really hope we haven’t seen the last of Dawn of War from Relic. Really want to see Taldeer *SPOILER ALERT* come back as a Wraithseer and duke it out with Davian Thule.

24. Snids says:

I wonder if it’ll be a number based, abstracted hex-fest. Surely it won’t be with that licence.