Decor Never Changes: Metro – Last Light’s World

By Adam Smith on April 9th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

The world of Metro: Last Light is grim and dark, as these things tend to be, but it’s not yet clear whether it crosses the line into grimdark. Calculating such things is difficult, and requires prolonged exposure and comparative flowcharts containing pictures of fetishised death factions and tattered children playing with burnt toys in the rubble of their homes. The children are ghosts but even so a mutant dog, formerly their pet, will eat them soon. Through all the horrors of this most recent video, which provides an overview of the Metro system, factions and threats, a disconcertingly cheerful man explains the situation and provides survival tips, such as “try not to lose your head”.

I’m baffled that “try not to lose your head” wasn’t instantly followed by an on-screen decapitation, to the point where I think there must have been an accident during editing.

Metro: Last Light is out much sooner than I thought, although it’s mid-May release is still over a month away. Somehow, I had it pegged for the last days of summer.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Serpok says:

And not a word on ‘Ranger difficulty’ being a pre-order DLC?

• Dowr says:

I am also very curious why RPS has not given comment on the Ranger Difficulty pre-order DLC.

In fact, there hasn’t been much of a kick-up on internet about the issue; very odd considering, well, people hate pre-order DLC’s, for good reason.

I find it unacceptable and I have been contemplating whether to boycott Last Light or not but I came to the conclusion that this practice is unacceptable and will not take part in it by purchasing the game. This makes me very sad.

• S Jay says:

Remember: never pre-order.

You can always torrent the version with the abusive DLC.

• Dowr says:

Pirating the game is a terrible form of boycott. It makes you look an excuse abusing ass to the publisher rather than a responsible consumer that doesn’t agree with said publishers business practices.

• trout says:

sanctimonious much? :S

• almostDead says:

Trout, do you really believe that the above poster’s opinion is sanctimonious? Why?

• Rian Snuff says:

Well, to be fair.. One could easily debate that they are abusing their customers with this.
            “Buy our game on the first day or experience a cut-down sup-par version of it”
            Not even giving us the chance to hear if it’s good or not, suffering from game crippling bugs and so forth.
            Sort of pathetic.

Not condoning pirating here by any means, just trying to be a voice of reason here.

• Sheng-ji says:

I’m pretty sure he mean’t that you make a completely legitimate purchase of the game and when you have done that torrent the version with the abusive pre order bonus. That’s how I read it, and as far as I’m concerned it’s legal enough.

• Geen says:

Yohoho. A pirate’s life for me.

• meijianqian says:

I really need to stop hiring Ron Perlman to do my interior design. “Decor. Decor never changes…” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JuZTxlM0ek

• honky mcgee says:

Methinks our friend S Jay is really Herr Walker.

• woodsey says:

I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere.

This is very disappointing to hear. The ranger difficulties are what fixed Metro 2033 in the first place.

• Rian Snuff says:

Yea, that.. Hurt my head.. Who’s idea was that? That’s so terribly stupid.

They lost a sale here for sure.
      Perhaps I’ll get it for free someday when I upgrade some GPU.
      *Shrugs*

I’m not cool with supporting that kind of nonsense.

2. Tiax says:

As much as I liked Metro 2033, they made sure I wouldn’t buy this one by making a FREAKIN’ difficulty level pre-order / dlc-only.

• AJ_Wings says:

Well, it’s actually day one DLC not pre-order exclusive DLC. I’m still looking forward to Last Light though but their handling of Ranger mode is… yeah.

• Screamer says:

Well I’m not pre-ordering it. If I get the feeling that I got an uncompleted version of the game when I actually do buy it, they won’t get anything from me again. Simple as that.

• bstard says:

As much as I like this title I’m not pre-ordering.. simply because of the preorder. I dont care what bollocks I get: I want to see some review before I buy.

3. Liudeius says:

I ignored Metro 2033 for a while because I figured it would be a bland FPS, but it’s pretty good.
    The auto-saving with no manual save file is annoying, but it does FPS/Stealth better than Deus Ex HR (since DXHR punishes anything other than perfect non-lethal stealth).

It does however have a somewhat half-baked feeling economy.
    In fact inventory in general is something I hope they touch up. It’s so annoying to have filters last for five minutes each in the first section, then they drop to about 30 seconds each in the second section, and you can’t even pick up filters on the ground unless you are dying.
    Then the guns and ammo are a bit annoying, even on ranger there is no such thing as an ammo shortage, just a lack of ammo pick-ups. Even without picking up the first volt driver I had wayyy too much money for bullets. And the context of trading in guns is annoying, why bother looting ammo when you could just carry a fourth gun to sell for 50 times the price.

• woodsey says:

‘DXHR punishes anything other than perfect non-lethal stealth’.

Huh?

• Liudeius says:

Well there’s the fact that how you clear an area actually matters (at least in flavor dialogue), but that’s fine because I prefer non-lethal anyway.
        My problem with it is the massive amount of exp you miss out on if you don’t take out everyone with non-lethal melee stealth. Thereby forcing you (at least if you’re a perfectionist) to use exclusively non-lethal melee takedowns without being seen).

Sure, you can argue that obtaining the maximum amount of praxis is not necessary, but that’s irrelevant. It’s a bad design decision to discourage certain play styles based on exp rewards.

• Ultra Superior says:

100% correct. And it’s not just that, also the hacking minigame is so heavily laden with XP, that it discourages players to USE FOUND PASSWORDS.

Even when players know the password, they’re motivated to rather play (now redundant) hacking minigame to mine XP.

Other terrible design decision is the energy/power system. Only the first energy cell regenerates, instead of regenerating the most recently depleted. This undermines the entire energy cell economy, as it’s more sensible to not replenish energy at all (unless there’s a big fight) and rather use just the first cell all the times – again, favoring the “slow approach”.

Other than that, it’s a wonderful game.

• DrollRemark says:

Yeah, definitely this. You can see why the old DX’s system of only giving you skill points for exploration worked so well – it rewards you for getting to the goal, not how you got there.

I mean, did anyone bother with lethal takedowns? Why would you it’s exactly the same as a non-lethal takedown, except it makes more noise.

4. Ultra Superior says:

“The children are ghosts but even so a mutant dog, formerly their pet, will eat them soon.”

Adam Smith 2013 – the single best videogame writing right now.

5. coldvvvave says:

So, almost every single piece of combat video has player character running behind some guy. And people here say it’s different than CoD?

/trolling

Looks mediocre anyway, just like CoD.

/not trolling

6. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Eastern Europeans do atmospheric FPS better than anyone else. It’s a simple fact!

If they are offering day one DLC for ‘hardened gamers’ what is the fuckin’ problem? Oh, yes I see the problem, it’s not a gun/hat etc

• Ultra Superior says:

It’s just alienating your core audience. Like saying: so you like simulation and hardcore gameplay right? You don’t like shooters on rails (pun haha) right?

Good!

Then you gotta pay more!

Eastern Europeans may do atmospheric FPS well, but they do suck at marketing just like the corporations they hate so much.

• Serpok says:

1.4% of steam buyers have beaten the game on ranger – I’m not so sure about that core audience.

• Ultra Superior says:

Exactly – they’re selling stuff no one really plays nor wants to pay for, while pissing core audience off by denying something that used to be free. Lose-lose deal I say.

• mispelledyouth says:

I so want to be devils advocate. When trying to determine my own opinion on something I’ll often disagree purely for the opportunity to debate which way my wind wants to blow. A quick search revealed that the ‘limited edition allows you to play the game the way it is meant to be played’.

I cannot disagree with you.

This makes me sad.

Being just a mere layplayerperson myself, who wants to enlighten me with regards to how this fits in with the whole THQ collapse? Sounds to me like someone’s trying to add a little extra ‘KERCHING!’ to a purchased property in something of a diabolical fashion. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

• Sheng-ji says:

But how many played it extensively and enjoyed it without getting that achievement?

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

I didn’t pay a penny for it in Metro2033. Bought it on release day, enjoyed it, next time I went to replay I had the extra options for nix, nada, zero cash. Maybe I missed something here?

• woodsey says:

It’s a fucking difficulty mode, that’s the problem.

• welverin says:

You can hav mine, I don’t want it.

• mispelledyouth says:

Are you playing Bioshock:Infinite Welverin?

Imagine if the 1999 *extra hard* mode was available as a DLC.

It’s not content. This is the conflict most will have when this sort of idea is raised. It’s not actually any work at all to implement different player health/player damage/enemy damage/possibility of hotdog variables in a game. Same game, different numbers. As is enabling/disabling the HUD/etc.

You may not want to have the hardest mode enabled. I might not. Hell, I haven’t even played the first one. What’s insidious is that if I am enjoying my game and I want to experience the content I already paid for in way that has already been created I cannot without paying extra.

• coldvvvave says:

>Eastern Europeans do atmospheric FPS better than anyone else

all two of them

• Ultra Superior says:

stalker, metro………. …… … painkiller? …………. … .. *chirp chirp* ……… …… .. . ……. warhorse’s upcoming title maybe.

• Geen says:

You forgot Red Orchestra 2, also known as PTSD: The Game.

• EOT says:

Which is made by Tripwire Interactive. A company based in the state, not country, of Georgia and as such are about as eastern European as candy floss.

7. SuicideKing says:

So cheerful. XD

8. belgand says:

9. Turbana says:

“a disconcertingly cheerful man”

That would be Ulman. Loved his horrible jokes in 2033, really hope to see him again in Last Light. Although they might have changed voice actors for him; the narrator sounded similar, but not exactly like him.