Naturally: EA Is Making A MOBA Too

By Nathan Grayson on May 17th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

'But over there, you'll see someone with even bigger hands than mine!'

Here’s a sobering revelation: your parents probably wish you were a MOBA. I mean, they thought they wanted a doctor or a fireman or a pioneering, cancer-curing geneticist when they first birthed you, but these days, everyone is making MOBAs. All your folks can do now is mourn what could have been. So it went for EA, too – casting sullen, disparaging glares at John Madden and Dead Space guy alike – until now. Via a website we weren’t supposed to know about yet, the publisher accidentally revealed Dawngate, a fantasy-themed battler that vaguely claims to offer “a whole new way to experience MOBA gameplay.” What does that entail? Beats me. Details are scant at the moment, but you’ll find a few others after the break.

First off, here’s the full description, which presumably alludes to robust character customization and user-generated content:

“Dawngate is a new MOBA, built from the ground up to look and feel familiar while offering a whole new way to experience MOBA gameplay. Dawngate empowers you to forge the champions you love for the roles you want in a competitive arena, shaped by ever-evolving, community-driven content and story.”

It apparently heralds from a previously unheard of developer called Waystone Games. Internet info godfiend and master of secrets superannuation points to some MOBA-related job listings from Visceral last year as a likely culprit – which makes sense, given all of EA’s recent nip-cuttery in the name of “restructuring”.

I imagine we’ll know for sure soon, seeing as an official announcement seems exceedingly imminent. For now, though, Dawngate’s website is the wispiest of skeletons, a gate not to dawn but a series of empty social media pages and NOT FOUND screens. Oh, but I just discovered that beta signups are functional, so you might as well do that if you’re interested.

More soon? Here’s hoping. (More information, that is – not MOBAs. We already have enough of those to last us until long after modders invent another incredibly specific genre that big companies immediately proceed to pounce on.)

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

Fantasy-themed?

I am astonished at the originality.

• LionsPhil says:

I think they’re trying to make the least interesting game possible.
      – It’s EA.
      – It’s a MOBA.
      – It’s in a generic fantasy setting.
      – It has “community-driven content”

All it needs now is the announcement that it’ll be Free2Grind.

• Grey Poupon says:

Considering it’s a MOBA, it’ll most likely be F2P.

I still hate that acronym.

• RedViv says:

Aye, if only because of the number. Seriously, it’s only a single keystroke you are saving!

• Tatourmi says:

MOBA… Yeah, it IS the biggest bullshit acronym they could fine. I like LPG (Lane Pushing Game). Moba makes no sense at all, multiplayer online battle arena applies to almost every non-mmo multiplayer game and does not describe the gameplay in the least. It came at a time were an acronym was “needed” for people to differentiate from dota. That’s about everything it has going for it.

• Molay says:

I believe he meant F2P, which is inherently more expensive when I play them than a full prize AAA title would be.

• protospork says:

built from the ground up to look and feel familiar

Because god forbid anyone innovate in this genre.

• DeVadder says:

Oh AWESOME!
        You just had to link me to tvtropes, right?
        There goes my day.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Why? Do you like reading horribly inane bullshit for fun?

• Obc says:

no, but everyone likes to open up a new tab with whatever links are sandwiched into a sentence to better understand that sentence. but as he reads the article in the new tab, he/she realizes that one still doesn’t have the whole picture and opens up a few new tab.

meanwhile some interesting and/or intriguing titles comples one to check those out too. just to find out why it has such a title.

i think this “Wiki/Deviantart/FavouriteoftheFavouriteoftheFavourite”-Effect rose to unseen heights with the advent of Tab usage.

• soundofsatellites says:

MOBA is the new black.

2. SanguineAngel says:

I have a confession: I don’t really like MOBA games. I don’t really even understand them. I tried them a couple of times but they are totally over my head.

• Rollin says:

Then you’re going to cry as the avalanche of them lands on you, because publishers have decided MOBA is the new MMO

• LionsPhil says:

That’s fine. I bet a fair few of us just ignored the MMO craze as well.

Thankfully other games do still get made, and even if the publisher money goes elsewhere indies continue to just make whatever they feel like (when they’re not making retro-styled platformers with a gimmick).

• Phinor says:

MOBA games are pretty much exactly the type of games I want to play. I have a similar problem though: I don’t like any of the MOBAs people actually play. Demigod was enjoyable for a little while, Guardians of Middle-Earth (yep, console MOBA!) is probably my second favourite and Awesomenauts is tolerable. But DOTA2, League of Legends and all that stuff? Not games I like at all. I pretty much find them boring and annoying because of the first 15-20 minutes where just about nothing happens. Well that’s not actually true but it really feels like that game after game.

Good luck EA with your MOBA. Remember, you (usually) can’t buy success with money alone and a generic MOBA with 50 million budget won’t succeed because people playing MOBA games are already playing their favourite MOBA games.

• maximiZe says:

“I pretty much find them boring and annoying because of the first 15-20 minutes where just about nothing happens. Well that’s not actually true but it really feels like that game after game.”

It’s not true and doesn’t feel like that as well – unless you’re talking about Lol of Legends which has 15-20 minutes of ultra-passive farming pretty much ingrained in its fossilized meta at this point. That’s not representative for the whole genre, though.

• Gnoupi says:

I agree on the fossilized meta. It’s hard to make people do anything else in the current setting. And even when you try, there are not many changes being actually meaningful (Try to go 2 vs 1 strong laner, and you will most likely feel like wasting your time and xp, since the tower prevents you from taking advantage of the 2vs1 situation). The only difference comes from playing bruisers on bottom, I think.

On the 15-20 minutes of farming, I disagree a bit. It might be the case for some, but take a bottom lane with an aggressive support, and you have strong exchanges since the 5 minutes mark or earlier.

That said, the now officialized ARAM mode in LoL quite solves the need for “instant action since the beginning”. You can actually feel like dealing damages and being useful since the beginning (well, depending who you land on as random champion).

• Malibu Stacey says:

None of which applies to Dota 2.

I’ve played solo hard lane as Windrunner or Mirana for example & got early kills (as in before 10 minutes have elapsed) on one of the 2 enemy heroes without needing help from whoever is on mid.

• darkChozo says:

2v1s and lane swaps have actually gotten a lot more popular lately for various reasons (towers do less damage, AD carries are less powerful, cheaper wards make pushing less suicidal, influx of new pro teams who aren’t afraid to shake up the meta) in pro and high level games.

Really, a lot of the calcification of the LoL meta was due to a lack of movement among pro teams. For a long time, the pro scene was dominated by a couple of big teams who didn’t really have much incentive to shake things up. More recently, an influx of foreign teams and new teams through the LCS have actually been able to challenge the former giants and win, which has forced everyone out of the S2 meta mindset.

• darkChozo says:

Ohhhhh boy.

I take it that you haven’t looked at LoL in quite a while? Late S2 (pre-November or so) was, to some degree, 15-20 minutes of farming before things started to get interesting. The S3 rebalance patch (plus more incentive for pro teams to actually change things up) made aggression much, much more attractive as a strategy, to the point where it had to be toned down because three-man early game tower dives were too dominant as a strategy.

It’s certainly a not a perfect game, but the idea that it’s a passive game is about nine months out of date at this point.

• Apocalypse says:

You should give lol than another try, they have a new game mode in beta, that is all random, single lane team fights, and all this right from the beginning. Could the thing you are looking for, oh and the polished their capture point map and as well the fast 3vs3 map.

All of those game modes have a much faster pacing than the orginal dota like 5vs5 map.

• DeVadder says:

If you liked Demigod, may i suggest SMITE?
        It is third person and in most games has action right away. Also it has a huge playerbase despite beeing open beta AND, as opposed to Demigod, a matchmaking system (of which people obviously still complain). Judging by twitch viewer numbers, it is propably the third biggest MOBA by now with LoL and Dota 2 obviously beeing top two by huge margin (also biggest two games in general ^^).
        It also has a rather fair F2P approach.
        We have a thread here, if you want play with someone or read more:

• bfandreas says:

Smite does a lot right off the bat. The matchmaking is quite good and you have a lot of game modes.
          Their F2P model is actually exceptional. While you can buy or earn each single god seperately you can also buy all existing gods and any future gods for a very reasonable price.

The community is actually quite decent(with the usual exceptions) and not as toxic as one would expect. There are a lot of videos on Youtube and websites for Smite are created daily. You quickly get into a game and game time varies from mode to mode. I usually squeeze in a few quick arena games before I’m off to work. You can actually play this one quite casually. But if you watch pro replays(a failry recent feature, not as good as SC2 replays) you might want to increase your competence. Since basically everything is a skill shot you can pull off some amazing feats and total blunders.

Mind you this is still(barely) beta. So the community might change after release. But by now I reckon everybody who wants to play Smite is already there.

This one propably is here to stay unless something aweful happens to HiRez(like being bought by EA).

• derbefrier says:

I didn’t realize this was in OB. I will have to try it out this weekend.

• bfandreas says:

They are awefully close to release. And they currently have an all gods now and ever special offer which nearly completely removes the F2P aspect of the game. It’s quite reasonable, too.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Learn how to play something other than hard carry.
        Also you haven’t played Dota 2 if you think everyone spends the first 15-20 minutes farming.

• bfandreas says:

Or something like SMITE. You spend the first few minutes in lane looking for a kill. It’s quite fast paced in that respect.

• InternetBatman says:

I don’t think that’s fair to LoL, which has both 3v3 mode and Domination. 3v3 usually takes about thirty minutes, and it’s grind time is much shorter. Domination lasts five minutes and has no grind.

• Eschatos says:

At least with regard to Dota, it sounds like you’re playing the game wrong. If you hate the 15-20 minutes of farming that tend to happen with carry oriented lineups, play a team of pushers with heroes like Chen, Nature’s Prophet, Enigma, Enchantress, Pugna, etc. With a decently coordinated pushing team you can expect the game to end by 25 minutes. Of course this all goes with the caveat that you need coordination, so you’ll need to be queueing with friends or in very high skill brackets.

• mr.ioes says:

I could say the same about MMOs.

• MrLebanon says:

Demi-God was great.. its a shame they stopped after 1 (2?) updates, and the last update broke all the character voices.

I really enjoyed the dynamics of the various maps (yes, a MOBA with loads of different maps!), the very expansive ARPG style skill trees, as well as base upgrades (fully upgraded siege catapults/trebuchets were hilarious).

I fear demigod was ahead of its time… if it had popped up as a F2P in the current era I feel it would be wiping the ground over what else is on the market right now

• Eschatos says:

Demigod would have been successful if the developers had bothered to have halfway decent netcode on launch. You can blame Stardock for that.

3. Chalky says:

That’s certainly something PC gaming needs, another genre gold rush. Lets pack as many shitty titles into the same overcrowded fanbase as possible and watch them all bounce off the existing established names.

Looking forward to EA doing something innovative at some point. With their funds, they could probably create a something interesting. Not holding my breath, but one of these days maybe they’ll surprise us.

• Juan Carlo says:

It reminds me of the late 1990s when every single company had to have their own RTS.

• Apocalypse says:

The annoying thing is, I liked most of the rts enough to play them for some time. CnC, Warcraft, Dark Reign, Starcraft, TA … I miss those games.

• Ernesto25 says:

Yeah you could tell them apart even ww2 shooters were different with MOH and BIA having a FIFA and PES style different approach to them. I don’t really like the MOBA’s that ive played for the limited ammount of time i get the appeal but it just seems like the micro and no macro in an rts. I know at pro level teamwork is more important but unfortunately tales of the fanbase were not exaggerated at all.

My conclusion : EA ill buy one of your games if its Mirror’s Edge 2.

• SanguineAngel says:

Every time EA publish a game that isn’t Mirror’s Edge 2 an angel dies

• satsui says:

Age of Empires, Rise of Nations, Empire Earth. I’m going to cry! Bring me those games back!

• MrLebanon says:

Rise of Nations.. the original was so great….

then they made the “sequel.” You know, that game had almost nothing in common with the first other than the name… *shudder*

4. Deeon says:

Jump on the bandwagon that’s heading towards the cliff.

“… while offering a whole new way to experience MOBA gameplay…” – there should be a death penalty for marketing BS like this. I think we’d live in a better gaming world than.

5. Faren22 says:

Revolutionize MOBA gameplay! Play AS the minions! Play AS the turrets! It’s a MOBA as you’ve never played it before!

(for good reason)

6. jasondesante says:

i tried to sign up for lols but then it asked you for your origin password and thats just weird because it doesn’t seem like its ON origin or anything or EA related besides the fine print text at the bottom….and I’ve never used origin. so I closed the window. good job EA, was going to sign up for the beta for lols, and you couldn’t even get me to do that because of your stupid insistence of shoving origin in everyones faces

• Lord Bunnington says:

yea, they’ve pretty much sealed their fate with that one…

• jezcentral says:

Nah, nothing too skullduggery-ish going on. EA unified all their accounts, so you only have the one “Origin” log in. This works for Bioware Social Network, SWTOR, Origin (naturally) etc.

7. groowagon says:

gl hf EA

i want a cool 3rd person MOBA. and i mean GOOD. Blizzard-grade. something with lot’s of new ideas, but same basic principle.

i also wonder if it would be possible to design the game in a way that losing team would always have a small chance too.

• Apocalypse says:

Blizzard-grade quality? I think EA can deliver ….
      and now I have to find a corner to cry alone about this change of times.

• DeVadder says:

As in SMITE?
      I do not know what you exactly mean by ‘new ideas’ but SMITE is a huge and rather nicely done 3rd person MOBA. It also has had the big advantage of having been rather early and thus now has a big enough playerbase to actually be playable.
      More info, people to play with and in-game footage in our thread at

• bfandreas says:

MOBAs are in their evolutionary stage. In SMITE the new idea is that everything is a skill shot and that you play in 3rd person over the shoulder view. While this isn’t revolutionary and a lot of people might argue not even original I find it works very well.
        Their matchmaking doesn’t punish a casual player like me and it already seems to foster a pro scene. So all is well.
        I also don’t mid not to be nickled and dimed to death as EA tends to do on occasion. Want to speed up your repair time? Buy 15 minutes less of downtime for a beeeellion dollahs. Works quite well in a mobile racing game, I have to assume.

• Deadly Sinner says:

Super Monday Night Combat. Unfortunately, they released way too early and they didn’t have the marketing might to counteract it. It’s probably the only game of its genre I will ever like.

8. Terragot says:

So you get the chance to make a game, where the theme can be anything you like, with a series of heroes who can be anything you dream and the one you stick front and center is a grizzely white male with brown hair.

Dota2 drew me in with the things like bloodseeker on their promo material, or morphling. Why should I be excited about any of those heroes?

• Asurmen says:

That’s hardly completely fair, what with the picture quite clearly showing a non-human female and 2, maybe 3 Things.

9. Lars Westergren says:

What I would like to see in a new MOBA is:

* Smaller maps, enabling 3×3 matches. I have exactly 4 friends who play Dota 2 and we are having a lots of difficulty finding times when all 5 can/want to play. I prefer not to play with strangers. (Most times people in Dota 2 have been nice or at least indifferent, but the other day for the first time I had a team member call me a fucking noob for not calling “missing” on enemies in lane, and later rage quitting because our team played so poorly.) Though I am aware it is probably very difficult to create balanced maps, and balance hero powers so they synergize in both 3×3 and 5×5 matches.

* More environment interaction. The superhero MOBA seems to go the right way with destructable environments a-la Freedom Force and special map events. More of this.

* And idea I had was for a first person MOBA. Not a shooter – it would not require FPS twitch and aim skills, but instead using powers strategically. That would enable heroes that burrowed, heroes that can jump or fly, powers that “juggle” enemies. A bit more strategic variety than the 2D model of “slow, stun, hurt”. An over the top anime inspired Asian theme would be neat. Ninja Scrolls alone would give inspiration for dozens of heroes.

10. Antonius says:

I’m honestly surprised it took EA this long.
    I mean MOBA games are EA games down to their DNA.

(Note, I’m not a MOBA player, I never ‘got’ them. I know people will defend them, and thats OK. I’d defend RTS and TBS games even though they aren’t other people’s cup of preferred beverage.)

Bland, repetitive gameplay? – Check.
    Toxic, world wide infamous communities? – Check.
    Nickel, Dime, Quarter, Heck-just-give-us-your-wallet-seriously “DLC” – Check.

I mean, tell me that doesn’t describe any EA game in the last 4 years…

• sockdemon says:

I know I’m kind of falling into this one….

While I think you can argue about the toxic community, I don’t think the other two points are valid.

In terms of penny-pinching I’d actually argue that both of the main MOBAs (DOTA2 & LoL) actually have very fair microtransactions. You really don’t have to buy anything, but you can. When you add in that old fallacy that poeple often spout: Hours spent playing vrs pounds spent on game, it works out very well indeed….. espically because…. you DON’T have to spend anything!

For the bland repetitive gameplay, well I mean, it’s obvious that you haven’t played them much and didn’t like whatever it was that you did see. It’s the fastest growing E-sport that there is, I mean the last huge tournement of LoL drew more viewers than the Baseball tournement that was happening at the same time, if it’s enjoyable to simply WATCH, then I think it’s really unfair to call it bland and repetitive… Apples and pears I guess… Eitherway, my point being, be careful when slagging off one the most played games in the world, there’s generally a reason that it’s popular.

For me I know it’ll fail because this is typical of EA of late. They turn up late to the party and then deliver the most generic rip-off of the most popular thing in that market (See WARFIGHTER). It’s almost as if….. as if, they knew nothing about games and the market they exist in.

Expect this game to hit just as the MOBA market becomes oversaturated.

• Antonius says:

Hey sockdemon.
        Not gonna lie. You made good counter points there.
        You are right, I’m generalising after playing a few hours of the original DOTA, DOTA 2, and LoL. Probably about 20 hours all told. I wouldn’t call myself an expert, nor would I call myself total noob either.

The community thing, yeah, LoL and the others are taking steps now to sort that. I can imagine EA’s banhammer being more massive.

The gameplay of MOBA games, its meh to me. It’s at its most basic the Zerg Rush distilled. But that is my (inexpert) opinion anyway. :)

As for the DLC? Well, you make a point. A poor workman blames his tools. Counter to that, there are those that prefer certain types of heroes and will buy that type. Of course, you don’t need to buy any hero to play the game, but most can, do and will.

I wasn’t slagging MOBA games as a genre, I think that those who enjoy them should do so, same as those that enjoy facebook games should be allowed to. If anything, I was having a go at EA. As the MOBA “formula” (if you can call it one) seems to be something EA perfected long before coming into the MOBA genre.

Anyhew! I do wish you well, enjoy your LoL and other games! :)
        More people playing games is always a good thing!

11. Crosmando says:

I hate MOBA’s and everything they stand for. There’s just something about them that irks me and comes off as alien to everything I’ve come to know as gaming culture. The “gamification”, the obsession with “DPS” and the like, it’s the utter lack of abstraction in games like LoL, DOTA 2, it’s like they are games that actively make no attempt to disguise this fact. People will only care about the mechanical aspects, what hero/spell/ability is best, what “tactics” work best. The same sort of thing strikes me about MMO’s and competitive RTS too. The players don’t seem to care the game is fantasy, the story, setting, anything, it doesn’t matter, all that matters is the rules.

Discussions of MOBA and other multiplayer games sound almost identical to the type of discussions sports fans would have.

It utterly disgusts me. These people have no imagination.

• Muzman says:

I know what you mean, but the exact same thing happens in any multiplayer scene.
      I remember the old Quake 2 teamplayer days, having an argument over which maps to run on a server and so forth. The debate split cleanly between the aesthetes who wanted cool looking well designed maps that had good atmosphere and sometimes even interesting backstories (yes DM maps had these) to keep things interesting, and the hard core who straight up said they virtually wanted one map on rotation and if it was a custom map, just make it out of plain blocks in a big room or something. Just so long as it has good frame rates and makes spawn camping difficult. None of that pretty bullshit.

Although this stuff gets said and attracts that sort of person I really think they underestimate the appeal of the fiction, where the developers don’t. They know the fantasy of crazy space base combat, being a counterterrorist or WW2 soldier, or levelling up a hero in a weird fantasy contest is a big hook for people at least initially. I think you’d find if you boiled any MP game down to its bare elements people wouldn’t play it as much ( I think Shootmania is having this problem). People take the fantasy for granted after a while or deny its importance, but I think it’s a bigger factor than they realise.

• Apocalypse says:

Maybe it is not them lacking imagination, but you lacking spirit of competition?

• Ernesto25 says:

Ouch some if that is fair but if esports – a term that i hate for no apparent reason is to be taken seriously then the debate needs to stop resulting to “what rank are you?”. People can understand games/sports well and still be terrible at them in principle. The story aspect is true with SC2 WOL and HOTS just being completely awful and bland compared to brood war which didnt need alot of cut-scenes to tell a simplistic but effective story to force the gameplay.

• sockdemon says:

I’m with you on this one. It’s the exact same reason I hate, HATE football…. I mean they don’t even dress up as dragons anymore… And even if they did they probably wouldn’t get into character; just care about scoring stupid goals (It’s as if that’s all the game IS to them!)

Philistines!

• Berzee says:

The lack of dragon costumes does make sports less exciting than it could be, but ultimately less silly than if the players DID dress up in dragon costumes and then fail to act properly draconian.

• NonePlusOne says:

Urgh, tell me about it. It really DISGUSTS me. It’s never about appreciating the quality of grass on the pitch or the construction of the goal frame. People only care about which tactics or formation are best. A timely substitution is more important to spectators than appreciating the history of the game or admiring the majesty of a beautiful stadium.

The lack of dragon costumes doesn’t help.

12. bit.bat says:

I doesn’t seem to me that there is enough space for many MOBAs seeing as most players would just pick the better crafted one or two and stick to those.

I guess you could create a niche MOBA that is different enough to attract a small dedicated community around it but I would be surprised if that is what EA is aiming for.

13. jellydonut says:

Yet no one cares because Dota is like chess. There’s really only one.

Valve’s Dota 2 is polished as Valve games ought to be, and has been adopted by all the pros from Dota 1.

Just toss in the towel, EA. Go make some more browser games or pay to win-tetris.

14. aircool says:

I had to google MOBA, I’ve never heard of it before.

15. Muzman says:

This has to be the most propellorheaded genre going right now. I’m still wondering if the market can sustain two big ones of them rather than just one.
    I suppose that is what’s happening; people see something vaguely popular but complicated and the race is on to ‘bring it to the masses’. If you kept up with the various coverage of the last PAX, there must have been at least half a dozen light, cartoony MOBA-style games proclaiming a newer, friendlier experience. And that’s just the ones I can remember off hand. Everyone’s making one with a “fresh spin” of some sort.

Really, if Smite and Super Monday Night Combat aren’t fresh enough I have to wonder what else could be done. Worse, if some big boys come and steal the thunder of those games with sheer force of marketing dollars it’d be terribly unjust.

• Apocalypse says:

The market is supporting Day of the Ancients 2 and League of Legends just fine right now.
      They have together like over 100,000,000 active accounts. Or maybe not, they are both not very generous with their active user numbers, though at least LOL seem to have about 5 million concurrent users and Dota 2 at least 300,000.

• Muzman says:

Yeah, that’s not really sustaining two of them by any useful measure. That’s one really complicated game stomping another one that is lucky it has vast wealth behind it.

• Apocalypse says:

Not sure which one is which.

As league of legends has really big investors behind it that dwarf valve by far. At the other hand dota 2 is the complicated game, and valve itself is big money themselves.

• Thurgret says:

Not sure there are all that many users, are there? Are they counting people who have logged in once?

• Apocalypse says:

For concurrent users ( 5,000,000 on average for League of legends and 300,000 for Dota2) they are counting users logged in right now.

For their overall active accounts the lines are kinda blurry as they do not give details about this numbers at all. But active playing suggest that they at least log in once in a while. As riots does not safe names of characters below level 10 longer than 6 months without played a single game, I would guess 6 months of inactivity is the limit. But as most numbers around this whole mess are anyway just wild guesses it is not relevant by much. What we can say for sure is: Both games are making already lots of money, because even the user peak numbers suggest a decent amount of money generated.

From personal experience I can say that most users seem to have at least 2 accounts for lol, because they tend to have a backup realm, like EU-West players switch to North American Servers in down times.

16. Gap Gen says:

People of RPS, I come before you with news that I have failed to make an OBAMA joke that actually works. In retrospect, it would have been a little tenuous. Please, I beg your forgiveness.

17. Thurgret says:

I really hate MOBAs. Mostly because they keep getting shoved in my face. A friend gave me a Dota 2 invite, I gave it a go, didn’t enjoy it in the slightest, and uninstalled it. Since then, Valve has sent me twenty-something Dota 2 invites. It’s getting rather irksome.

18. Bhazor says:

Take a look at those hands.
    She’s so thin.

Do we really need another. Alll I want is to breath.

19. Berzee says:

The woman on the bottom left appears to be wearing one of those foam fingers they sell at sporting events.

edit: Bhazor, dangit, you ninja’d me half an hour before I posted this.

20. Obc says:

seeing as how the mmo craze hasn’t stoped yet, how long will Strategic Arena Combat last? (trying out a new Title/acronym for the genre SAC, or maby Strategic Arena Hack&Slash: SASH)

21. Continuity says:

Urgh, another MOBA? Suck a Dick EA.

22. Shivoa says:

Didn’t EA already have a MOBA with the LotR license? Wasn’t it a F2P title that reached beta and let lots of people spend real money buying gems and in-game perks and a few months ago didn’t that get closed with all the cash in gems and items turning into dust, no refunds?

Why would anyone even sign up to the beta for this one?

• RedViv says:

You might have a few things confused there. EA has lost the LotR license in 2009, the Middle-Earth laneypushything is on consoles and alive and healthy and actually pretty good, and EA have closed down a few of their social games a month ago.
      They did have a somewhat-MOBA PvP spin-off from their Warhammer MMO though. Maybe that’s the thing.

• Shivoa says:

Ah yes, Warhammer, not LotR was the license (wrong fantasy license with an MMO).

That game (Google is telling me Wrath Of Heroes), the one initially advertised as spinning off the small group PvP combat from Warhammer Online into a MOBA friendly (heroes with short action bars, equipment, not a DOTA clone but same genre) title.

23. deadly.by.design says:

I’m glad I got into Dota 2, because there’s no way I’d want to play more than one of these games. There’s simply too much to learn for each one.

24. InternetBatman says:

EA keeps chasing things that were popular five years ago.

25. barrel91 says: