Of Course Valve Are Working On Half-Life 3, Now Shush

By John Walker on June 19th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Every time a slip, leak or whisper emerges from inside the caverns of PC shop owners and former developers Valve, the gaming news press (us occasionally included) gets into a frothy frenzy at the mention of Half-Life 3. “Could this be evidence they’re working on it?!” everyone cries, tickling their own legs in excitement. OF COURSE THEY ARE! Of COURSE Valve is working on Half-Life 3! It’s not even vaguely feasible that they wouldn’t be! They’ve obviously been working on it, in some capacity, since HL2: Ep 2 came out. News would be if they actually bloody finished it.

Today’s leak comes from the erstwhile spies at Valvetime, who have gotten hold of a Valve “project tracker”, which contains words like “Half-Life 3″, “Source 2″ and “Left 4 Dead 3″, and understandably the community enthusiast site celebrates this coup. But what the find isn’t is revelationary.

What would be a hugely interesting news story would be discovering that Valve wasn’t working on Half-Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3, or a significantly improved version of the Source engine. What would also make for front page headlines would be the news that they were actually going to bloody well release anything other than DOTA 2 for the 47th time.

So yes. You can assure yourself that Half-Life 3 is in development. It will have been in development in various iterations and forms for about six years (SIX YEARS since Episode Two), some of which will have been scrapped, evolved, persisted with and given up on. The only interesting thing left to hear about Half-Life 3 at this point would be news that they’d managed to make something worth talking about.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. bstard says:

As an online discussion involving Valve grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving HL{current version+1} approaches 1.

• Doomsayer says:

Just for you, I promise that on the day HL3 is announced I will be there to ask about the silence regarding HL4.

• HadToLogin says:

Well, if HL3 end like it was planned with death of Gordon Freeman nobody will wait and ask for HL4. But if plans changed and it will end with one big cliffie…

• Rikard Peterson says:

Warning! Spoiler alert!

I’m pretty sure HL1 ended with the death of Gordon Freeman, when I played it. (Just like all shooters except the first episode of the original Wolfenstein.) I should return to it some day and try to get to another ending.

• Lev Astov says:

Exactly. Death is only the beginning for the Freeman.

• jalf says:

All shooters except the first episode of the original Wolfenstein end with the death of Gordon Freeman?

• MadTinkerer says:

Haha, yes, there are technically two endings in Half Life, but in the very beginning of Half Life 2 the G Man basically says “Nope, the ending where you agreed to work for me was the canon ending. That’s why you’re not dead.”

• Widthwood says:

My Gordon Freeman valiantly died while getting out of a train on his way to work. I wonder if they ever continue that story in a sequel…

2. kregg says:

I don’t think I can get excited about HL3 any more. No matter what, it cannot match my expectations of the game that has been built up over these years. :(

• 00000 says:

That’s exactly why Valve can’t release Half-Life ever.

(progress*time) / (expectations + expectations*time)

• Fenix says:

I also fear this might happen to me… Remember Prey? It was by no means terrible, but living up to 11 years of anticipation wasn’t easy. HL3 is not there yet, but it’s getting dangerously close.

• woodsey says:

So stop thinking about it.

The worst thing about the absence of another Half-Life is not the absence of another Half-Life, it’s all the comments about how people are so hyped for a game – that we know nothing about, by the way – that it cant possibly live up to expectations, or that they won’t even buy it because of that (*cough* bullshit). It turns comments sections into a bunch of whining children – even more than usual.

• Lev Astov says:

But I waaaaant Half Life 3! I want it I want it I want it now!

• GreatGreyBeast says:

I agree with this statement, but I’d agree with it more heartily if we hadn’t been left on a damned cliffhanger.

• mouton says:

What cliffhanger? I can’t even remember how ep2 ended. Do you really think the story will be somehow exceptional anyway? Fighting Evil Trans-dimensional Empire Part 3. Fun thing to play if it happens, but cliffhanger?

• DrScuttles says:

Gordon and Alyx were just about to take a chopper to Aperture Science’s science boat for science when you got attacked and the Starship Troopers brain sucking thing happened and Alyx cried and it all faded to black. Bit of a downer.

• MadTinkerer says:

The cliffhanger is I WANT TO KILL THE GODDAMN PHYCHIC SPACE BUGS TO AVENGE ELI’S MURDER BUT VALVE ARE MAKING ME WAIT. When I finally get my hands on a killable version of those bastards, ohhh it will be slow. Very, very slow and painful. Even if it doesn’t work out in-game, I’ll just wait for Garry’s Mod to update and build a giant Space Bug Torture Factory to make them all suffer adequately. Justice will be mine…

• mouton says:

Wait, Eli died? Who was Eli, anyway? That Morgan Freeman fellow?

• Davie says:

Somebody needs to replay every bit of HL2, stat.

• Phasma Felis says:

Mouton: I’m calling it now. You didn’t actually play Ep2 and are trolling. You are basically saying “Star Wars wasn’t that great, anyway. Death Star? What’s that, I don’t remember one of those.”

• Faxmachinen says:

I played Ep2 and was thoroughly unimpressed with the ending as well. I vividly recall the part where I was hiding from the robo-hounds under a train though. Also, the grub caves. Those were awesome.

• mouton says:

Hype is one of the most harmful phenomena on the internet. Even if the hyped game(film, music, whatever) is genuinely good, it can still blow the expectations past the feasibility threshold and discourage people who are not as eager to jump on bandwagons. It also creates powerful backlashes of drama, tears and betrayal.

3. DiamondDog says:

So is the fourth Left 4 Dead game just going to be called Left 4 Dead?

4. Gap Gen says:

My guess is that they’re going to release it without warning, just to mess with people.

• RaveTurned says:

Knowing Valve, almost certainly.

• Ian says:

I’d lol my socks off if that happened.

The collective internet meltdown would be absolutely amazing.

Don’t even announce the release when it happens, just put it on Steam one day and then wait for the magic to happen.

• DiamondDog says:

Maybe they’ve already released it and Valve are laughing because we haven’t found it yet.

• MeestaNob says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was released via crafting in the trading card meta game currently in the beta client.

• MichaelPalin says:

They cannot do otherwise. At this point, they should have already realized that you cannot follow a philosophy of releasing “when it’s done” and do marketing like other companies at the same time. Either you announce the game when it goes gold or you just shut up entirely.

• timethor says:

When watching the E3 press conferences (say… Ubisoft’s) I was so hoping for a trailer just showing kinda cryptic environments, ending with a crowbar and a release date 2 weeks from now. Pandemonium would ensue.

Not going to happens since it would overshadow the entire press-conference, unfortunately.

An announcement just made via the gaming press would be a bit anti-climactic, just as an announcement made at a Valve-event (The International?). You want the announcement to occur when there is a large audience, but it should still be totally unexpected.

…during the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics? Most people would have no idea what was going on, but still ;)

• Widthwood says:

I would love it if they did that, and afterward just release a video of Gabe Newell going from door to door hitting PC gamers with a crowbar.

• Hunchback says:

Not only that, but they’ll prolly release it F2P, because they can.

Then they’ll have all the lulz on the internet while swimming in cash brought by the publicity this would bring them.

• engion3 says:

The internet would explode like when michael jackson died.

5. Lars Westergren says:

Having a mailing list, an issue tracker, or even a large number of members is not evidence that a project is alive. Just look at any open source repository. It is just evidence that it was worked on sometime in the past.

That said, I do believe they are working on HL3. I’m guessing something more open world this time.

• Widthwood says:

Isn’t it pretty much a fact, not a belief?
      Though last super-official piece of news that I know of was that video with Gabe himself essentially stating that they are currently working on Halflife on kickstarter video for Clang a year ago.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Exactly. PC Gamer had a much better and informative article about this the other day.

Before we start waving about banners emblazoned with Gordon Freeman’s handsome face, we have to keep in mind that this info dump is in no way an official confirmation of anything. Firstly, these screenshots come from an anonymous source and cannot be verified. Secondly, Jira catalogs everything that has ever been worked on within Valve’s walls, regardless of development stage, and some of the listed titles may very well have been canceled years ago.

ValveTime hypothesizes that games further in their development cycle have multiple mailing lists, as Left 4 Dead 3 does—suggesting that it is in active development. This is in contrast to Half-Life 3′s single group, which suggests that its development is either inactive or in the very beginning stages.

*emphasis added by me

6. Roritharr says:

Was HL2 EP2 such an financial failure?

Artistically it was very good and made in an acceptable time-frame. What threw that team of the track?

• MichaelPalin says:

The problem is not financial, I’m sure it sold wonderfully. The problems are the development philosophy of Valve and the success of Steam. The later means they had to focus to much on Steam instead of focusing on games alone. The former means that they only develop games when they feel like doing it and I’m afraid many at Valve have lost interest on the franchise. They basically shoot themselves on the foot by leaving Half Life 2′s storyline too open.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I think the actual problem is that HL2 ep. 1 & 2 didn’t flatten the Earth and cause the entire gaming press to simultaneously moisten their underwear the way HL1 and 2 did. So then Valve got back to rather more difficult task of doing it yet again.

• HadToLogin says:

Making HL2EP3 is boring, plain and simple. Same old assets, same old characters, same old enemies (with little addons, retexures and new attacks here and there). They don’t need money from games, so they decided to make something they will find to be fun to develop – Portal2, L4D2 (first one wasn’t theirs, they wanted to give zombie genre a try), DOTA2 (something completely different from FPP games there were always making)…

7. RaveTurned says:

Sorry, Half-Whatnow? No, the name doesn’t ring a bell. Is this a new franchise?

• MichaelPalin says:

There is a legend that says that Valve may develop into its own series some obscure reference made in Portal games. Something about a competing company to Aperture Science. Heh!, fans, right?

8. basilisk says:

The corner they’ve painted themselves into is getting smaller and smaller all the time. I for one think BioShock Infinite absolutely out-Half-Lifed Half-Life. There’s no way they can ever meet the insane expectations now.

• cunningmunki says:

I loved Bioshock Infinite, but, my friend, it wasn’t even close to how much of an impact HL2 had. If you make a comparison between two games nine years apart, then the comparison needs to be contextualised, not a straight comparison. That’s like comparing Bioshock Infinite to Pong.

There were BIG expectations after Half-Life, and HL2 smashed them.

• basilisk says:

What I meant with that was this: if Valve come up with HL2++, then too bad for them, because we’ve already seen that. HL2, envelope-pushing as it was, was ultimately less revolutionary than HL. I seriously doubt HL3 could be a game-changer of any similar magnitude to either of those. The FPS has changed and evolved a lot since those (early) days.

And if they do intend to polish it until it becomes a revolutionary watershed moment, well, they’re deep in DNF territory.

• skyturnedred says:

My guess is when they see games like Bioshock: Infinite they have to go back to the drawing board to match today’s expectations. When they get the development going, something else comes and they need to top that too. The cycle is infinite, and HL3 will never come out.

• basilisk says:

Yep, which by all accounts is precisely what happened to Duke Nukem Forever.

• fish99 says:

I’d argue HL1 was more revolutionary and had a bigger impact. I’d also argue that they’re both just very well produced linear corridor shooters.

• riverman says:

this may seem odd coming from a guy that still remembers feeling ashamed when ROTT told him to buy a 486, but HL2 didn’t rock my world at all. I mean, yes, it was a fun ride that I played to the end, but it felt so very “better graphics” + “physics” instead of “something new”. I found doom3 much more of a step forward in terms of graphics, and the physics didn’t add that much to game play beyond the puzzles (though they were a toy in themselves, of course).

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Yeah, Half-Life 3 really has to be something special to compensate for the years of expectation and general game progression since the release of Episode 2. Half-Life 2 was just spectacular in so many distinct areas for the time; the use of physics, facial animation, level design, pacing, art direction and tone… yet now its combat is more than a little embarrassing with cone-of-fire weapons instead of proper recoil, bullet-sponge enemies and hit-reactions that are primitive to say the least and Source itself needs nothing short of a radical overhaul.

At this point, HL3 has to be an open-world masterpiece with animation and combat that surpasses Max Payne 3, art direction on par with The Last of Us and Infinite, facial animation that approaches L.A. Noire and a level of technical brilliance that shames Frostbite 3 and UE4. Christ, what an invidious position to be in.

• timethor says:

One of the reasons I liked HL2 so much was because the combat was interesting (I played HL2DM for hundreds of hours..), yet a bit light-hearted with the ragdolls and flying toilet bowls. I’d be really sad if HL3 went for “serious” with exploding body parts, 3D bullet wounds, gallons of blood and combine crying for their mothers.

• oceantorment says:

You are joking, right? How a half assed Half Life clone with terrible shooting, level design and boring storyline be better than Half life 2? I just ask you to replay Half Life 2 before saying silly things. I guess Valve left the story so open because they know that video game writers are terrible, unfortunately, Ken Lavine wasn’t that wise.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

{Long exhausted sigh} …where does one even begin?

• fish99 says:

How is Bioshock Infinite a Half Life clone exactly? There’s a fairly clear heritage there from Bioshock 1, and before that the System Shock games, the first of which predates HL1. If anything BI is a modern dumbed down SS2. Also looking at metacritic user scores, you’re in a small minority with your opinion of the BI story, gunplay and level design.

9. laijka says:

If I were Valve I would be absolutely terrified of making a HL3 as nothing they’ll make will live up to the expectations we fans have.

10. Mimir says:

I just want a new version of Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar, since twice the amount of time has passed as between Half Lives 1 and 2. That’s a beautiful art book.

11. staberas says:

contains words like “Half-Life 3″, “Source 2″ and “Left 4 Dead 3″ ….

Nop, there is no such thing as HL3 nor Source 2 or l4d3(rlly? we need more zombie games?), The only thing i want them to release is Ep3 .

I also dont believe in leaks unless i know the source.

12. Iscannon says:

I think news would be if you managed a whole post without sounding horrendously condescending, John. Just tell people the news, don’t have a go at people for being excited about news from one of the most popular gaming series of all time.

13. zeph says:

It’s actually pretty simple to understand the delay.

The current source engine works in the same way that the original Quake engine does. It’s incredibly out of date. Other engines, such as Skyrim’s, are far more powerful and flexible that it puts source to shame.

Therefore, they NEED to create a new engine from scratch, and this is what they are doing. Source 2.
    It’s obvious that HL2:EP3 will use the new engine, and therefore needs to wait until the engine is complete.

So this is the delay. You’re not just waiting for a new game; it’s a new game AND engine. And that takes a lot of time.

• solidsquid says:

More likely the two are being built in parallel, with feedback from the developers working on HL3 influencing how the engine is built and what features it has

14. rustybroomhandle says:

Well, it would certainly be an incentive to buy their upcoming piece of gaming hardware if they exclusived HL3 on it.

15. MichaelPalin says:

Ah!, I love when franchising backfires this hard.

The industry has a very hurtful dependency with sequels to the point that most companies would kill to be in the position like that of Valve. Normally, other companies develop sequels for the shake of it, regardless of the interest of the audience or regardless of how little sense it makes to the story of the series. Valve is similar in to other companies in that they make sequels without any planning and leaving unanswered questions everywhere. The problem they face is that people expect more from them and now they find themselves in the situation of not giving a fuck about Half Life anymore, but having to create the second coming of Christ in video game form, unless they want to piss or disappoint massively millions of their fans. Not to mention following the trend of marketing your games ages before release, even when they don’t impose release dates on themselves.

You did this to yourself Valve, you did this to yourself.

• Harlander says:

I’m sure they’re weeping about it into their enormous piles of Steam money right now.

• PikaBot says:

If Valve didn’t want to make HL3, they wouldn’t make HL3. That’s how Vlave works as a company, everybody works on the projects they want to work on.

• N'Al says:

“…develop sequels for the shake of it…”

I like this typo so much going forward I’m going to use it on purpose now.

16. lowprices says:

But what about Ricochet 2?

Enquiring minds want to know.

17. DeviroVerity says:

I would say that they won’t release HL3, because that way we wouldn’t expect nothing from Valve anymore. “Say, HL3 is released? Oh, now I can die in peace.” – end of gaming industry. To be honest I, as many other people, don’t want HL3 anymore – I want answers. What happened to HL3? Why are you keeping it that secret? WHOt are you doing Valve?

18. cunningmunki says:

THREEFACE

19. po says:

I’d like to think that Valve already have some idea of how the story should progress in HL3, it’s just that current technology isn’t sufficiently advanced to do justice to their vision, so they’re waiting it out.

20. cunningmunki says:

I recommend this as your one and only source (pardon) on whether or not there is, or will be, a Half-Life 3. It’s served me well:

No.— Is HL3 Out Yet? (@IsHL3OutYet) June 18, 2013

21. sketch says:

I don’t understand.
    You dot want to post about half life three, but don’t mind posting opinions on rumours thereby indirectly posting about half life three and passing it off as a joke?

Something clicks something something page views something

22. dE says:

I don’t know, when it comes to rumors, I found this one to be far more interesting: The ability to lend Steam games to others. -> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595606

23. TreuloseTomate says:

Gabe has said a long time ago that they are working on Ricochet 2, but they don’t have anything to show yet.

24. Knightley4 says:

Valve showing a lot of interest and support for VR and Oculus Rift, so, i guess, this is one of the mindblowing features for HL3(btw, OR-users saying that HL2 is one of the most exciting experiences, and this game is almost 9 years old).
    So, nothing until 2015? Also, their steam box…

25. Freud says:

With many shooters using lots of scripted events, it’s hard to see what Half-Life can do to stand out in todays market. HL3 probably will be released on consoles too, which is good money but not automatically good for the game.

• Viroso says:

I know Valve almost didn’t release Portal 2 on consoles because consoles couldn’t handle the fluid effects. The lesson here is that they’d prefer to not release on consoles rather than to cut content from a game.

26. Focksbot says:

What’s with all this doom-mongering?

Valve are in a privileged position. They can take as long as they want with this game and, whatever proclamations we make, I really doubt it will come back to bite them in the backside. Even if – even if – legions of existing fans deserted them on the basis of the game being not entirely in keeping with their expectations, they’ve got the status and the marketing power to pick up new fans. There will be an entire generation who won’t have played the earlier Half-Lifes at this rate.

Really, this is how all games companies should work if we’re going to get the best games. Art takes time. One can understand how most developers simply aren’t in a position to squander the temporary ‘good will’ they’ve earned from fans for a run of successful titles. But this is market dynamics – let’s not mistake it for anything else.

• Kobest says:

Agreed. Apart from the things that take their time (new engine, Valve business, Steam platform, new ideas), people have to realize that it takes a long time to develop something with hundreds of people involved.

Throwing around ideas, prototyping, and so on, especially to the successor of HL1-2, better be polished, so give them the time! :) (Of course, it was a shame that the episodic content promise wasn’t fulfilled, but oh well.)

27. HecticGlenn says:

Hi, I was the one who posted the article on Valvetime after much research into the database beforehand. I would like to clarify, the article isn’t focused on proving Half-life 3 exists, it does in all Valve employee’s heads since we know it will eventually be conjured. The actual focus of the article is the size of resource and personnel in each development cabal.

In the case of Half-life 3, it’s 42 employees. We’ve looked into Dota 2, far more obviously. Interestingly, L4D3 has between 70-90 employees working on that title. Source 2 rivals that figure too. So the real story here and now is that Valve are working mainly on L4D3 & Source 2, Half-life 3 remains in the backseat. For now.

28. Viroso says:

Oh as if you guys won’t go nuts when so much as a simple logo is officially announced.

29. fish99 says:

I can’t get excited when there’s no prospect of actually playing the game anytime soon. 42 people suggests it isn’t even in full production yet.

30. kael13 says:

So we already knew Valve had a new engine in the works. Whaddya reckon, this year or next?

31. Antonius says:

My apologies that the rest of this post adds nothing to the discussion, nor is coherent. That being stated:
    gimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmieNOW
    gimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmieNOW
    gimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmieNOW
    gimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmieNOW
    gimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmieNOW
    gimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmieNOW
    gimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmieNOW
    gimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmiegimmieNOW

32. SkittleDiddler says:

This is how many fucks I give about Half-Life 3 now.

33. lizzardborn says:

So it is a bit like Duke. Nice first parts, long wait for the next. And with every passing month the result is more and more in danger.

I think that once a project enters development hell there is not way to ship something above mediocrity.

34. Wurstwaffel says:

Well I think I could do without yet another linear FPS; even an excellent one.

35. Zwebbie says:

My guess is that they’ve realised that the HL2 model is, by this time, horribly out of date and they need to make something that they can really present in this modern day and age. Which means that half of Valve’s employees have been creating hundreds of hats (and hatcrabs) to elevate the art of hat simulation to a new level with Half-life 3. I mean, playing a dude with no hat was fine back in 2007, but completely unacceptable in 2013.

36. kament says:

And here I thought everyone has long since given up on HL(Ep)3, with all the expectations burned out years ago.

37. HisDivineOrder says:

Lies! LIES!

Valve releases nothing with 3 in it. No Episode 3, no Half-Life 3, no Left4Dead 3, no Team Fortress 3, no Portal 3.

Threes are an evil sent from Hell or perhaps that horrible alien planet at the end of Half-Life. Either way, 3′s doom everything they touch. Just look at home consoles.

NES, SNES. Yep, everything’s great. Nintendo’s dominating. Nintendo 64 and then everything goes to hell. PS1, PS2. Everything’s great. Sony’s dominating. Bam, PS3. Goes to hell, hands the home console market to Microsoft of all companies! Now you got Xbox, 360, okay, whatever. Now Xbone.

Bam. Failure again. Valve is trying to save us from the tyranny of 3. It was code when they said, “The cake is a lie.”

C is the third letter of the alphabet. After that, there are three letters that follow in the word “cake” (hence “a”, “k”, “e”). Three. THREE! They were trying to tell us three is a lie! IT IS A LIE!

So this article is full of the lies of the Cult of 3. They try to trick Valve into making a grave error and pursuing the temptation of three. Defy them, Valve! RELEASE NO THREE! ;)

38. vertigo says:

I don’t want half life 3…You know why? Cause if they make it,it will become like duke nukem forever: Too much hype,too much time for do it and then it will become shitty and full of useless things. Don’t get me wrong on this,i’m very excited to see a new half life but at the same time,i don’t want it,i just want to remember half life as the great game it was,without a new half life ruining everything. But maybe i am wrong,who knows?

39. iniudan says:

Knowing Valve, I am pretty sure they are just keeping everything secret, until they reveal that they are Steambox release title, included with the console, along their the rest of their collection, which I think is quite plausible if we remember the value the Orange Box was.

Cause saying you have around 25 games included, with the mystical “3″ title, is a good way to possibly offset higher price for those who are not already their client, while been less damaging for their wallet then subsidizing the hardware.

40. int says:

Don’t mention Half-Life 3. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

41. PopeRatzo says:

The good news is that Half-Life 3 is in development. The bad news is that it’s a third-person free-to-play shooter where every health/suit station requires micro-transactions.

But, you can buy Gordon Freeman glasses for Team Fortress 2 and a golden crowbar as part of a $14.99 DLC pack.

42. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Steambox needs to be finished for Valve’s exclusive to be released. I’m sure it will come to PC’s and consoles but I know I would use it to promote my hardwear!

43. Urthman says:

On the PC Gamer UK podcast, they were saying that when they last visited Valve they got the impression that everyone they talked to was much more interested in making multiplayer games than single-player games.

Probably because when you make a really good multiplayer game, it’s fun for you to play it. When you make a really good single-player, story-based game, it’s mostly fun for other people to play it.

Valve employees enjoy playing Dota 2 and Team Fortress. There might be some who would enjoy making Half Life 3, but they probably wouldn’t enjoy playing it very much.

44. ArtyFishal says:

Valve has taken so long with this franchise that I no longer care. I doubt I’ll play Half-Life 3 or any other Valve game in the future.

• Daryl says:

I’m almost in the same boat as you. I can’t say that I don’t care, I just can’t be bothered to sit around wondering “where is HL3″ (or HL2:Ep3), absorbing every morsel of detail I can on the game and getting mega-hyped about it. If it comes out, great. If not, then life goes on. PC gaming has changed a lot since HL2 and even since the Orange Box. There are too many great games that actually have a release date to worry about.

45. Crosmando says:

How long does it even take to make a 9-hour long single-player FPS anyway? I’m gonna have to assume that at one point (or two) Valve essentially had “Half-Life 3″ complete, but then scrapped it because it wasn’t as good as they wanted, or the engine wasn’t as “revolutionary” as HL2 was at release.

Half-Life 3 Forever

• PopeRatzo says:

If it’s a 9 hour game, it will be a failure, unless they sell it as Half-Life 2 Episode 3.

Half-Life 2 was not a “9 hour game”.

• Crosmando says:

Really? Sure felt like 9 hours to me

• derbefrier says:

yeah i think my last play through was about that. I am sure I doubled that on my first play through(not that i remember) when i was exploring every nook and cranny and drooling over the graphics.. Rushing through it though, that sounds about right with the episodes lasting a couple hours each.

46. jonahcutter says:

As hilarious as it would be for them to just stick it on Steam one day with zero promotion so we can all be entertained by the collective freakout, at this point I think it’s likely they’ll tie HL3 to launching the Steam Box.

47. jkz says:

(2 lefty 2 deady) * 2

48. Leramar says:

Wow, its been six years since Episode 2? I feel so old. :(

49. CaptainHero says:

In true Valve fashion, I think they are playing for the long-term here.

Source 2 will be their main priority at this stage. I think they are aiming for it to be a rival to UnrealEngine -a real market leader in terms of power and ease-of-use. Not that Valve needs more money, but if they pull it off it should be nice little earner and help diversify the off-the-shelf game-engine market.

Half-Life 3 will come along sooner or later, but it’ll be the engine which really changes gaming.

50. dagudman says:

I guess Half-Life 3 was Left 4 Dead.
    Ba Dum Tssss