Indie-ana Jones: Nigoro Whipping Up La Mulana 2

By Nathan Grayson on September 23rd, 2013 at 8:00 am.

The original La Mulana is quite well-revered around these parts, and with good reason. It’s basically Indiana Jones as a Metroidvania, only instead of Harrison Ford’s rugged charm and nigh-infinite bag of last-second tricks, you’re working with your own fickle reflexes and exceedingly mortal tendencies. Basically, you should be prepared to be stuck/stymied a lot, which is part of the reason Adam likes to compare it to Dark Souls so very, very much. And now a sequel’s in the works, which should please him (and you, and all lovers of exploration and challenge) to no end. You will actually never stop being pleased. That proposition might strike you as existentially confusing, so I’ll allow you a few seconds to ponder it while you click past the break for scant details.

The sequel will star the daughter of the original’s main character, and it’s apparently been in development since La Mulana’s WiiWare version became a thing. At the moment, it’s still rather early in development, but Nigoro’s Takumi Naramura told IndieGames that the goal is to create an experience that’s markedly less confusing, but still exceedingly difficult.

For instance, if you step on a switch and something happens off-screen, the camera will briefly pan to the location of the event and back. Little touches like that. Don’t worry, though: Naramura and co still “really want the player to experience a rush of gratification upon overcoming a difficult challenge within the game.”

Nigoro also plans to take feedback from fans throughout La Mulana 2′s development, so it might be worth your while to grab the first game on Steam and sound off. Or say nothing at all, if you so please. Don’t let random jerks on the Internet (like me!) tell you what to do.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Jack_Dandy says:

Such good news.
    It was pretty cool seeing these tablets in the game hinting at the sequel.

Looks like they had this thing in mind for a while now.

Shame RPS never reviewed it, I guess they’re a bit too casual for it.

• Oozo says:

Yeah. Wouldn’t that be the perfect opportunity for Adam to finally “write more about the game”, just as he thought about doing all those months ago?

(Seriously, I’m still waiting for this one and the text about Dark Souls‘ forum as multiplayer experience, or something along that lines… I like writers writing about games they hold dear, even if it’s crossing all the usual release agendas…)

• Greggh says:

ADAM! WIT, NOW! Before La-Mulana 2 comes out and RPS has missed reviewing its prequel, one of PC’s best platformers of the year.

I’ve begged the guy to review this game T_T

2. Bpy6 says:

Fuck this game.

I love it.

3. LaundroMat says:

The original’s on Steam right now for €2.80.

• Stardreamer says:

Just picked it up, thanks for the tip. Love a Metroidvania. Been too long since I played a good one, and I’m loving Dark Souls at the moment.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

That’s the remake. The original is free.

Anyone have any ideas how the Steam/GOG version compares to the original? Is it worth buying just for some newer graphics?

• Kitsunin says:

In my opinion – pretty worth it. I played the original for a while while the remake was a Wii exclusive, but bought the remake immediately when it arrived on GOG, and well, it really does look a lot nicer. The remastered music is also quite great, if you’re interested in something less boopy (But just slightly less catchy).

4. BTAxis says:

Less confusing is good. I enjoyed this game a fair bit, but some of the puzzles were so nonsensical they put me off.

5. DrScuttles says:

The only version of La Mulana I’ve played was the old free one, but I suspect I gave up on it too quickly. What really bugged me was the lack of control in jumps. Yes, that’s how older platformers played but I prefer difficulty to be divorced from poor controls. And I had pretty much no idea what I was actually doing, which is probably more just me being a stupid. In any case, it’s always good to hear of a sequel being announced for a game that you at least intend playing through sometime.

• Kitsunin says:

I didn’t really find the controls bad. A bit floaty perhaps, but the idea of having to commit to your jumps was used pretty well – like the older Castlevania games which are actually designed around the idea of needing to put forethought into your actions.

The puzzles were definitely obtuse as all hell though, though that does kind of push the idea of being an explorer.

• DrScuttles says:

It’s very possible that I’m awful at platformers. Or that later, more forgiving, far easier Castlevanias have broken what little edge I had. Having recently played them back to back, the difference between Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood was astounding.

6. sirstrahd says:

Nice! But I hope the tablet hints and the random wallbashing are a little less non-sensical and unfair this time.

7. clumsyandshy says:

Great news!
    The first game has lots of potential but unfortunately is way too confusing for my taste. About the third time I had to resort to a youtube video just to know where to go next I lost interest. Shame since the combat and platforming really is very solid and rewarding.

I personally don’t see the connection to Dark Souls really. It is a tough and very confusing metroidvania with an Indiana Jones vibe.

• chiablo says:

Yea, this is where the comparison to Dark Souls kind of falls apart because with Dark Souls, you can kind of tell whether you should be in an area or not because of how difficult the enemies are. If it takes 20 hits to kill a skeleton and you die in one, you should probably look elsewhere.

I got to about 1/3 of the way through La Mulana and had to look up some stuff in the wiki. At about 1/2 of the way through, I am now relying on a complete walkthrough. Some of the puzzles are so obscure that I wonder how anyone could have figured it out.

• Skabooga says:

Indeed, in typically fashion for myself, the first time I had to resort to a walkthrough for La-Mulana opened up the floodgates; I felt less and less bad about using it and started using it more and more until by the end, I was pretty much using it for every puzzle. As the Youtube Let’s Play was the only walkthrough around at the time (that I could find), I now have DeceasedCrab’s voice forever embedded in my mind.

I did enjoy the reflex and platforming challenge of it greatly, though, so I was still able to derive some enjoyment from that.

• chiablo says:

The turning point for me was the stupid Gate of Illusion. Spending a half-hour being stuck in the labyrinth because I didn’t know I was supposed to press down after breaking a certain pot was infuriating.

8. Totally heterosexual says:

Awesoooooome. Fucking love la-mulana.

9. hypercrisis says:

Dark Souls is the Citizen Kane of lazy uninspired comparisons

• DrScuttles says:

One day I’ll make a film. Probably a real historical event type piece, grounded through an emotional core of human drama. Or something about a super hero. It’ll be the Dark Souls of cinema.

• dE says:

My guess is, that’s when people realized that there actually is a sufficiently large enough crowd for challenging games to maintain a business model with. That moment came when Dark Souls was a success.