Well Here’s A Thing: Redigit Tells RPS There’s A Terraria 2

By Nathan Grayson on October 3rd, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Once upon a time, Andrew “Redigit” Spinks quit Terraria. He’d decided to move on to bigger and better things, mystery projects that beckoned to him from worlds far beyond Terraria’s treacherous loam. Fans were not happy. They scratched angry words into many an Internet, but their cries fell on deaf ears. For a little while. And then, kind of like Gandalf in that one movie (X-Men?), Redigit returned – with gifts, even! Update 1.2 is positively massive, and it’s finally out. But now Spinks is back where he started. Should he stay or should he go? He’s not entirely sure yet, but he was able to offer RPS one piece of enticing news. That mystery project? It’s Terraria 2.

Terraria 2′s actually been in various phases of planning for quite some time, but Spinks decided that his fans were right: he still had unfinished business with Terraria 1. It’s the double-edged sword of having a community whose passion borders on fanatical. Sometimes, you have to let them steer the ship.

In Terraria 2, I really want to have infinite worlds. You can travel anywhere.

“I actually planned, when I first quit Terraria, to have been halfway through my next project by now,” Spinks told RPS during a recent interview. “But it just didn’t happen. Instead, I decided to work on another update for Terraria to please the fans a little bit.”

Now, don’t take that the wrong way. Spinks was happy to give fans a penguin (and roughly a billion other things) for their thoughts, and he still is. But Terraria 1 has limits. Spinks laid the groundwork ages ago, after all – long before he’d amassed the massively malleable mountains of experience that come with releasing such a successful game. He thinks he can do better, and he can’t help but pine for the chance to dig deep and see what he finds.

“I’m super excited about starting Terraria 2,” he said, voice suddenly ringing with a pointed intensity. “It’s a ways out, but it’s gonna have a lot in common with the original. It’s gonna be quite different as well. I really want to expand on the whole Terraria universe.”

“There’s a lot of stuff I’m locked into with Terraria. The way loot works, the way character progression works. In Terraria 2, I really want to have infinite worlds so you’re not just stuck to one world. You can travel anywhere. I want more biome diversity in that, too. There’s a lot of stuff [I want to add and change].”

Knock it down, build it back up again. Terraria 1′s foundations are set in stone, but Terraria 2 is – at this point – a land of possibility. Where, though, does that leave the original Terraria? Is a finish line in sight? For real this time? Spinks is still deliberating, but ultimately, he’s keeping things in perspective. Either way, he’s got it pretty good, all things considered.

“I’d say this is probably gonna be the last seven-month update [to the original],” he chuckled. “But there’s a lot of stuff that I didn’t have the time to put into this one. For instance, there’s no final endgame boss. So I plan on, within the next month or two, finishing the endgame progression. I also have some ideas for a Halloween update I’d like to do too. I think people will get a kick out of that. So there might be a few more updates, maybe three or four months out.”

“It’s a tricky question, though. When do you stop working on one game and start working on something new? I honestly have no idea. Right now, I’m having a lot of fun with it. Everyone on my team is really enjoying working on Terraria 1. But I have looked into maybe hiring another small team to continue updates while I move onto Terraria 2. So that’s also an option.”

And that’s really what it comes down to: options. Among indie developers, Spinks is quite fortunate, and he’s well aware of that. He can pick his battles, he can hire teams, he can stuff a thousand items into an old game or begin work on something entirely new. It’s a privileged position born of prior success, and – regardless of what he does next – Spinks doesn’t plan on losing sight of that. What does that mean in the near-term? Well, probably no crowdfunding, for one.

“When I made Terraria, I did it in four months, and I think I only paid, like, not very much – and that was just for the sound,” he admitted. “So I’d like to be able to do something similar with Terraria 2. My personal preference is that I never be in a position where I need to get money to fund my projects.”

Madness! Lunacy! Both very underrated qualities, as it turns out.

Look for an interview with both Spinks and Edge of Space lead Jake Crane about crossovers, the state of the build/craft/fight/everything else genre, whether or not it’s becoming played out, potential design pitfalls, the state of their games, and more in the coming days.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. RedViv says:

Oooh! The News Moon is rising…

• Aaarrrggghhh says:

I see earthquakes and lightning
      I see trouble on the way

• The Random One says:

So don’t come out tonight
        It’s bound to take your life
        Find out why on our eight o’ clock news.

• Radioactive Yeti says:

More like a news eclipse!

• Poptartfriendly says:

Hi Red, I am New to Terraria and im addicted. So I will just get to the point and want to know if i can beta or Alfa test terraria 2?

2. Tei says:

Maybe Terraria was made in only 4 months, but is more right than other games made in 4 years. Is on the top, next to Minecraft, as one of the most popular “Terrarium for human” games.

I am enjoying 1.2. I still feel grinding materials take too much time but is fun and relaxing to play with other people or alone.

• Viroso says:

That’s my biggest pet peeve with these sort of games. I’ve played terraria a lot already but the grinding never ceases to get boring. The only time mining for materials was fun was when I was getting hellstone. Pockets of lava and hellstone on the silt and ashes, collecting hellstone was more than just digging, it was almost like a puzzle.

• LionsPhil says:

I’ve not played Terraria specifically, but yes: block-digging stuff-building games could really benefit from some kind of progressive build-up of digging volume. The whole wood/stone/iron/diamond pick thing could do with some kind of complementary pick/huge drill/dirty great earth-chewing machinery progression.

(e.g. one of the things I want from Corneroids is, having built a ship using hand mining tools, was to then fit it with some kind of mining laser to step up to the next level of industrialization and build a bigger ship.)

• Kitsunin says:

I swear, if I could JUST dig a 1×2 or 3×1 space in Terraria it would be infinity times more useful than the drills that destroy blocks in 0 seconds (I don’t think this is something added for 1.2?).

• MarcP says:

This is one thing I liked about StarMade, you could upgrade your ship with mining lasers and eventually get to a point where you’d crack open a space station or a planet in a matter of seconds. Very satisfying, even with the minimal FX and complete lack of sound effects when I played it.

• whorhay says:

I’ve used dynamite for that purpose a bit but didn’t really like it. The stick of dynamite bounces around too much and then breaks so many blocks free that you have to collect it or the second explosion will push past the items_on_ground limit and stuff will disappear. It also makes big round cavities instead of neat tunnels.

So for all those reasons I prefer sticky bombs. They are much easier to place precisely and don’t make such a mess. It would be cool though if we could make shaped charges or something similar to use for fast mining/tunneling.

• fish99 says:

Well if the end goal is to mine faster, you’ve always been able to do that in all these games with the tiers of picks (wood, stone, iron, diamond), and even more so with enchanted picks (in Minecraft). You can mine very fast.

• Baines says:

Mining wasn’t horribly time consuming, and at least gave you something to do.

A bigger issue to me was the progression itself, where each new resource made the previous resource irrelevant. You start mining copper, with dreams of making copper equipment. It starts slow, but you build your copper reserves, and you also find iron. By the time you have enough copper to make a full kit, you’ve found enough iron to start your dream of an iron kit. When working to collect iron for a kit, you find silver. By this point, copper is just garbage cluttering the screen and your inventory space, in some ways worth less than dirt. And iron is fast on its way to becoming worthless, because you will have a pointless excess of it probably before you forge your last piece of iron gear.

I think by silver I didn’t even bother forging complete sets, there just wasn’t any point. I was already working on gold by the time I had silver tools. (And by that point I’d collected countless amounts of copper and iron just by it being in the way of where I wanted to go.)

• Vapor_Strike says:

To be honest, I avoided crafting anything out of copper and iron as much as possible, to leave it in ore form for bricks. I would smelt just what I needed to progress, nothing more. But then again, I love building giant, useless houses and uselessly decorating them with ore materials. The only thing I didn’t like was that I couldn’t unbind the potion drink key, so I either had to move it to the numpad, or risk drinking all the potions I had just looted.

• Ringwraith says:

It is something best played with either other people, or while listening to podcasts or such.
      Though once you get to drills in Terraria, mining normal blocks becomes incredibly easy, though by that point there are more than enough dangers to keep on your toes while looking for metals.
      I think the game certainly picks up pace once you have a grappling hook and some mobility, as then you can swing around the place like loon, which is always fun.

• Vapor_Strike says:

Or Rocket Boots/Flippers. Suddenly, MOBILITY.
        Oh, and the Gravitation Potions. So hard to master, but on the other hand, weeeeee!

3. frightlever says:

Put a few hours into the update after a looooong break – so much new stuff. He’s gone above and beyond anything anyone could expect of him at this stage.

4. Viroso says:

The guy stopped working on a game so he could work on a free update that adds more content than some DLC I’ve paid for.

Anyway, this is perfect. I was expecting Starbound to be Terraria 2, but now there’s Terraria 2. So when I’m done with 1.2, maybe Starbound will be out, then when I’m done with it maybe Terraria 2 will be out… or not, actually maybe it’ll take longer. Still, you know, I can like, alternate, and stuff.

• Vapor_Strike says:

Technically, it’s an update that adds more then what you payed for when you bought Terraria. And he gives that to us for free, while stopping work on his next game. He has my respect.

5. Skeletor68 says:

@Viroso looks like I’m not going to need to purchase much else in the next while then. Already have two Starbound copies pre-ordered and am ploughing into 1.2 with much glee.

Thanks Spinks, I would have gladly thrown you a few euro for the update!

6. Lobotomist says:

Wait, what about Starbound ?!

• Chalky says:

Starbound is also a game that exists..?

Terraria is a fantasy rpg at heart, starbound is not. It’s obviously heavily inspired by Terraria but it’s not really fair to claim that a sequel to Terraria will have nothing to offer over starbound.

They’re part of the same genre – a genre with very few games at this time – but they’re not the same game.

• cecil1994 says:

My thoughts exactly.
      Sorry Redigit, the role of Terrarria 2 has already been cast. You can be the understudy though.

• Kitsunin says:

My brain definitely keeps telling me that Starbound is like Terraria 2, and so I’m extremely excited for it, but I get the feeling I’m expecting it to be more similar than it winds up being.

• DantronLesotho says:

Just to add: Starbound is being made by the guy that did the graphics for Terraria. Andrew “redigit” Spinks was/is the programmer for Terraria.

• lowprices says:

I’m glad you said this. I had it in my head that Starbound was being made by Terraria devs, and I was getting very confused.

• Vandelay says:

Right there with you lowprice. I thought Starbound was made by the same people and was essentially Terraria 2. Makes sense that the artist is making Starbound, as they look virtually the same.

Obviously, we will have to wait and see what Terraria 2 actually brings, but Starbound definitely looks like it will fill the niche and expand it nicely, so not sure if a true Terraria 2 will be necessary.

• Vapor_Strike says:

Not really. Starbound has the same graphics, being made by the same graphics designer as Terraria, and they’re in the same genre, but that’s about it. Comparing Starbound to Terraria 2 is like comparing GTA to Saints Row, or CoD to Battlefield. There’s just not enough similarities.

• RaveTurned says:

Starbound is ExtraTerraria, obviously.

• Stochastic says:

The thing that’s so great about these games for developers is that because they’re so dependent on content, releasing a a megapatch like 1.2 can result in a huge sales spike (Terraria is currently the #4 top selling game on Steam at $10). I hope the Starbound crew takes this approach and just continues developing the game for a year post-release. If they were so inclined, they could even release an expansion pack for $5 or so.

7. MrSean490 says:

I hope Terraria 2 has better music. I really never liked it.

8. Assaf says:

Redigit’s in a tight spot with Terraria 2 imo. While he was taking time off or working on updates, Tiy’s crew have been working heavily on Starbound, which is exactly what Terraria 2 should have been – massive, everything procedurally generated – weapons, planets, monsters (compare Starbound’s infinite monsters with Terraria’s ~30..), everything moddable.

Maybe they don’t need to top it tho; maybe just making a game like Starbound or Terraria very extended will still be very profitable (this is my guess), so even if they get owned by Starbound… well, they still made money.

• Lobotomist says:

Not to mention actual real massive multiplayer even more advanced than minecraft on that scale.

• Bobka says:

“So now Starbound is nearing completion, and it’s hard to imagine how Terraria 2 is gonna top it.”

Maybe by being released first?

I jest, of course!

• FriendlyFire says:

Starbound is very much going in the sci-fi direction. I’m sure there’d be space for a game more fantasy oriented, with a focus on spells and magic and such, which Terraria arguably does very well already.

There’s enough space in that genre for two games, honestly.

9. JD Ogre says:

1.2′s been big enough and cool enough (and not just ‘cos of the winter biome :P) that I really think they should’ve given it a name and made it *paid* (‘cos they deserve it) DLC. I’d've bought it for $5…

10. Craig Pearson says:

Starbound isn’t being made by this developer. The guy making it left Terraria.

11. Museli says:

2rraria?

12. JasonD says:

Lots of good points on here, and Terraria 2 is going to be hard pressed to find a niche among the games (and the devs making them) it has inspired. While the ‘multi-world’ idea is cool, it’s only impressive if we haven’t been anticipating Starbound for the same reason. There have been a few other Terraria-esque games out there that devs have done their own take on them and are worth looking into.

For those who don’t like the block-by-block mining that has been mentioned several peeps here, check out Asteria over at playasteria.com. The guys there have made lots of ‘quality of gameplay’ implements into their game. Everything ranged, no need to tab out and look up a wiki, progressive gear requirements (no more just digging EVERYTHING), and an in-game dungeon locator item to name a few of the features.

Terraria 1.2?? GREAT!!! Terraria 2?? Well, it’s going to take something new to get my interest.

13. Beelzebud says:

Terraria: One of the best $7.50 purchases I’ve ever made.

14. Zmeda says:

Should provide some distraction while waiting for Starbound… :P

15. Radioactive Yeti says:

Oh god.
    Guys, imagine Mojang and Re-Logic working together to create the most spectacularly incredible infinite survival bullet-hell creative sandbox super-game.
    Holy shit.

Not that I think they will, however.

16. Mrsnuggles says:

I “LOVE” how when terraria came out alot of people thought it was a great game, but once star-bound was announced a large portion of the community started acting like terraria is a terrible game & star-bound is everything it should have been.

17. tazze says:

want a steam game for free ( terraria ) or something else ? (x, or just a bit extra cash

probly the first webpage ever that actually pay/give you stuffs for doing surveys and playing games * tested it my self, and got quite supprised when it actually worked* ^^ ( at least try it out, you can even order a ( 1 dollar ) and they will send it to you as proff that they really do send you stuffs :3

for short: awesome webpage

you also don`t need a credit card to use this webpage, as you can get points on your account and just order things straight home to you with out using any credit information on internet