Red Wing: SWTOR Gets Space Combat Expansion

By Jim Rossignol on October 9th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Galactic Starfighter is SO the name of a videogame. Except it’s actually the name of expansion to a videogame, which I suppose is the same thing, albeit a subcategory thereof. Anyway, SWTOR steps into the spacebiff with “12v12 free flight combat”, which involves getting hold of a customisable starfighter and doing pew-pew in various locations around the SWTOR universe. And it looks okay! Or at least not completely terrible*. There are different deals within this expansion depending on whether you are a SWTOR subscriber, or a dirty freeloader, and those can be examined here, with the first wave of space dudes grabbing their space wings on November 1st.

*This is a space combat subgame in an ailing MMO, it might well be terrible.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Blue_Lemming says:

Is it the long awaited X-Wing vs TIE fighter sequel?
    Could this be what i’ve been waiting for…
    (watches video)
    so it’s 3rd person view the entire time? everything looks a bit silly, do i have to fly a Lady Gaga styled TIE fighter. Or by customisation do you mean, buy huge missile tubes so i can spam the opposition.

2. Rollin says:

The space combat was actually the only interesting part of this game, since you could dodge and had to aim at enemies. Sadly it was very repetitive and on train-tracks.

If it’s just a pvp battleground then that’s not much of a step forwards though. Open roaming around space would make it really interesting.

• Bull0 says:

A few MMOs have free roaming around space, I’m thinking EVE and Star Trek. I’m pretty sure this will just be PvP scenarios. It’s probably the right design for the type of game this is – I don’t know how free roaming between the planets would really add anything.

• meloncrab says:

Star Wars Galaxies had free roam star systems, walk-able interiors for larger space ships and even atmospheric flight in its last days. :(

• CorpseFX says:

they should start a free roam system so a bunch of weird lard asses just sit in it all day generating weird loop holes for the “galactic economy” – oh wait, EVE already exists.

• neonordnance says:

Even though the game itself is dreadfully mediocre, and the developers most likely have never actually seen an episode of Star Trek, the space fighting part of Star Trek Online is bloody brilliant. More games should copy it.

3. Apocalypse says:

No Cockpit, no interest.

4. Tehol Beddict says:

Give. Me. GALAXIES!

5. razgon says:

Too late, I’m afraid, but it DOES look interesting.

• Bull0 says:

Agreed – to be honest when SWG was in development and they mentioned space combat this is what I assumed they meant. Rather than the strange on-rails Rebel Assault thing we got.

6. Jonfon says:

I’m not sure they grab their space wings on Nov 1st. Maybe me am read bad but what the page seems to say is that if you’re a subscriber on the 1st Nov then you actually get in on on the 3rd Dec?

Or something. It’s not exactly clear (or me am read bad. That’s always a possibility)

7. CorpseFX says:

hey login to our joke of a website made on wordpress posing as Video Game Journalists that just post cynical trash to other cynical white dudes who focus 70% of their “Free time” within video games. the kitsch i like is the best kitsch (that will disappear from view within a month or less) because i have the proper gaze to see through Shit.

8. c-Row says:

This was pretty much the only thing my friend and me were missing from SWTOR. Woohoo!

9. Napoleon15 says:

Unfortunately, it doesn’t really stop the rest of the game being a bit rubbish and incredibly cynical. My one enduring memory of SWTOR is the blatant quest placement and map layout, designed for nothing more than maximising your travel time to complete quests. The quest giver would be at one end of the map and the destination would be at the other. So you’d end up making this ridiculously long journey twice over. I guess all MMORPGs do this to some extent, but this was the most blatant I’ve ever seen, in the most lifeless MMORPG environment I’ve ever seen.

Ultima Online had more lively NPCs and that came out something like fifteen years ago.

• Lyrion says:

I guess you haven’t played Final Fantasy XIV A realm reborn then? It is alot worse then Swtor, but i still like the game tho, but the running about and changing zones nonstop to complete story quests are starting to annoy me.

• airmikee99 says:

There are far fewer Fedex quests in SWToR than in WoW, Rift, STO, or Guild Wars 2. And even most of the time in SWToR when there is a quest that is on the other side of the map there is almost always a taxi point to get you back quickly.

SWToR is one of the few games with interactive cut scenes for getting quests from NPC’s, how is that less lively than just reading text and going on the quest, which is what nearly other MMO does?

• Napoleon15 says:

Sorry, I should have made that last part clearer. I’m talking about the background NPCs, not quest givers. The environments just felt so lifeless and static. In regards to the quest givers, I think they’d have been better off not bothering with voice overs and cut scenes of characters repeating the same hand wave animations whilst they stand rooted to the spot, especially when they’re giving quests that essentially involve you handing out beat downs on [insert number of monsters] or collecting a set number of objects. After the novelty wore off, I ended up space barring through all the cut scenes except the class quest story lines.

If you enjoyed the game, great, but for me, SWTOR took all the old genre tropes of MMORPGs and somehow, with a massive budget, managed to do them worse than the competition. Every time I see the game, I wonder what the hell ate up all that money they chucked at it.

• airmikee99 says:

That doesn’t clear anything up, because SWTOR is just like those other MMO’s in that regard. Lifeless NPC’s standing around, doing nothing. Except SWOR doesn’t always do that, there are plenty of examples of NPC’s interacting with one another, a pack of wolves chasing down a smaller rodent, or AA cannons firing into the sky.

I’m not saying you have to like the game, I was trying to understand your basis for comparison.

• FriendlyFire says:

Um, there’s just about no “fedex” in Guild Wars 2, you know that? There’s no quests, even, and you can freely warp across the map.

SWTOR even limits your sprint if you don’t pay. How enjoyable.

• dE says:

Okay. So they essentially just renamed Quests into “Renown Heart”. Upon entering an area, you auto accept the quest and with about a handful of exceptions it’s about as clever as “Kill 70 Seperatists to watch the bar climb up” or “Collect 40 pieces of poo” or “Use this very specific mission item 80 times”.
          True, they’re not exactly fedex quests. But they’re run of the mill bog standard dull MMO Quests. Only in this case, they feel even more disconnected from the world and the quest dialog was placed at the end – and happily spams your mailbox.

• airmikee99 says:

I only played GW2 for a couple months, but I remember plenty of quests to travel to the other side of the world just to talk to someone. /shrug

And yes, there are quests, as DE mentioned, they’re called ‘Renown Hearts’ and even though they have a different name, they work exactly the same as quests or missions in other games. Talk to NPC, NPC gives task, do task, return to NPC.

• Wulfram says:

If you don’t pay you don’t get to play guild wars 2 at all, so that doesn’t seem a very fair criticism

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

It’s like they designed the maps to annoy people on purpose.

10. Solidstate89 says:

Looks like the space battles from Battlefront 2. I do not hate.

11. Lemming says:

12v12! That’s some cramped area of space there.

Looks like a fun distraction, but it really should’ve been in from the start.

12. Jenks says:

12 vs 12?

That’s about as close as SWTOR has gotten to being an actual MMO.

• nrvsNRG says:

Its as much of an MMO as you wish to make it.
      I resubbed the other day to play another class story, this time from the republic side, and I’m enjoying it a hell of a lot more then FFXIV:ARR, which I gave up on within a week.
      If I feel like MMO’ing a bit I do a Heroic or Flashpoint, which scratches that itch well.
      All in all its a decent MMO with some great class stories that will saitisfy ppl that just want to play another KotoR game and also please ppl that wish to group up. My server is almost always heavy population as is the health of all the others, so its really not as “ailing” of an MMO as some ppl think. That along with recent patches and content updates make it highly reccomendable IMO.

• Jenks says:

Out of curiousity what do you consider “MMOing.” Doing a 4 player co-op interactive movie?

It’s not as much of an MMO as you wish to make it. That’s like saying an automobile is as much of a spaceship as you wish to make it.

• nrvsNRG says:

Fair enuff, I worded that wrong.
          I actually prefer 4 man co op to doing huge raids, so TOR is fine for me.
          (BTW I dont think its an amazing MMO, but I do like jumping in every now and then).

• airmikee99 says:

4 player interactive movie?

Did you miss the 8 man story mode ops?

Did you miss the 16 man nightmare and hard mode ops?

1 million subscriptions before going F2P, and adding two million players since then. 3 million people, spread across a dozen servers, doesn’t count as being an MMO, even though that’s 30 times the number of people that played SWG?

The problem isn’t SWTOR, it’s your stupid definition of what constitutes an MMO.

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

I quite enjoy Swtor but It’s not really much of an MMO imo, not compared to games like SWG and Ultima Online anyway.

13. cpt_freakout says:

Too little too late?

14. zeekthegeek says:

Gotta love the SWTOR defense force out here shilling as hard as possible *dreamy pleased sigh* Shine on CorpseFX and friends.

15. hotmaildidntwork says:

I can say from experience that this trailer is measurably improved if you mute it and do your own sounds effects.

16. Aydrian says:

It’s actually kind of funny. People have been asking for this for a while now. They get it and they STILL find things to whine about. I heard someone say that if you hand out free ice cream people will complain there aren’t any chocolate sprinkles.

And as for the too little too late people, I get that. But I also don’t really the point in saying it either. And as for the inevitable idiots who will say the game is dead, it’s REALLY not. Anyone who logs in for more than five minutes can see the game is still very active with plenty of gamers.

• Talon2000uk says:

Its dead to me. :D

And I did log in for 5 minuets. Worked out there was nothing for my main to do. Decide to start an alt to play through one of the other stories.

Realised I couldn’t face grinding my way through all those planetary quests again and logged out.

I think the only thing that would get me to resub would be if there was a way to just play the main story quests and the important planetary quests and still level to 50.

If you could do that they would get at least 6 more months out of me. But having played through each planet on my main I just can’t take ploughing through boring fetch quest on all those planets again and again.

Such a shame as there is a lot of great story telling in some of the other classes or so I’m told by friends who played them before they to quit. :(

• airmikee99 says:

Nothing for your main to do, and you’re only level 50? So you haven’t done much of Makeb, CZ-198, or Oricon, or got yourself to level 55 yet? You haven’t tracked down HK parts and built your own HK-51 yet?

Granted, my level 24 assassin is only level 24, but I’ve only done the main story quests and supplemented leveling with flashpoints and warzones, I’m actually falling behind on story quests, as they’re turning grey because I haven’t been back to Balmorra for quite a few levels.

I’m not saying you have to like or play the game, but your opinions about the game seem to be so far from factual that I have to wonder if you actually logged into SW:ToR, or somehow booted up KOTOR.

Comment on this story