Date Worthy: The Sims 4 Due For Release Next Autumn

By Graham Smith on October 24th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Looks about right.

The Sims 4‘s big new feature is that your sims’ emotions unlock context-sensitve actions and change their abilities. That means, as an example, that depressed sims make better novelists. I am here today to confirm that being sleepy and hungry does not make you better at writing game news on the internet. Also, that The Sims 4 is due out next Autumn, as picked up by Blues News.

But sitting at your computer at home all day does unlock the ‘Crywank’ action.

The Sims series is oft-mocked for its thousands of expansion packs, but I don’t care. I love building houses, creating characters, and shaping their lives through a series of interesting decisions. Each game has improved the formula, too, with The Sims 3 minimising a bunch of the bladder-control micromanagement that plagued the original and allowing you to focus on creating sexy dramas between your platonic male friends.

EA also confirmed that unlike the troubled SimCity, Sims 4 will have an offline mode. That means that at the end of a long day of writing on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, I can kick back, unplug, and make a tiny little John kiss three clones of himself in turn, without the need to make finger puppets out of craft paper, which gets really tedious when they keep getting destroyed during all the rutting.

If you can’t wait that long into the future to get back to The Sims, the Into the Future expansion pack for The Sims 3 is out now in North America and due out in Europe this Friday. It contains hoverboards, jetpacks, and maybe the opportunity to make John make out with a robot. I’ll find out in the name of news and report back. In the meantime, here’s its latest trailer:

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. UmmonTL says:

Does anybody know how the mod support is going to be for Sims4? The enhancements mods added to Sim interactions and behaviour in Sims 3 made them pretty much a must but it could be quite tedious to get them to run.

• RedViv says:

Mod support is supposed to be improved even. So it’s probably safe to say that enough people still buy DL store items anyway. The cash cow is secured.

2. Bull0 says:

I’m enjoying how miserable that bloke looks in all the promo pics I’ve seen. There’s one doing the rounds on reddit of him surrounded by chatting ladies, pulling that exact face. Priceless

• belgand says:

Just what I came here to say. He’s sitting there at breakfast being harangued by a lady who appears somewhere between “miffed” and “peeved” and he looks out at us. Directly at us with an expression that seems to say “can you believe this? Look at the unending horror that is my life.” Perhaps aware of his own experience as a fictional creation and wondering why you would force him to endure such a scenario.

His awareness makes his suffering all the more sweet.

3. MajorManiac says:

Graham you are brilliant.

Not only do you bring the news, but you also bring the gift of laughter. Good to see you in these here RPS lands.

4. Doganpc says:

I just wanted to point out the heretofore disregarded sexist statement EA has inadvertently made…. Whereas The Sims a statistically strong seller among the female gaming population gets an offline mode and SimCity being, in general, a more male associated game does not. IT is obvious to me that EA does not think Women pirate games therefore they feel safe in their choice to allow The Sims to be played offline and likely be available to creative modders to hack. This kind of sexist release nonsense is highly offensive to my sensitive nature and I propose they stop and make The Sims an online only game so that everyone playing any EA game must suffer. /dramallamaing

5. Gap Gen says:

The saddest beard.

6. satan says:

Would that be USA Autumn? UK Autumn? Asia Pacific Autumn? The second Autumn of Nations…?

7. Drinking with Skeletons says:

WOMEN, AMIRITE?

8. belgand says:

I can’t help but feel that this is a bad idea for the game. Maybe if you want it to be an accurate simulation of real people, but not if you want to jerk them around and make them do what you like. Having a little virtual person who says “No, I’m too sad to dance.” is not going to be a lot of fun.

• I Got Pineapples says:

I am terrible at Sims and any Sim I play ends up broke, depressed and living in their own filth, their children taken away by child services and probably hooked on meth, if the game actually had any.

So yeah. I do not want this.

• RedViv says:

“No, I’m a bit too tired to watch more TV” is already a thing, and that one makes much less sense.

9. DrScuttles says:

Am I correct in expecting a male crime world simulation here?

10. zarnywoop says:

Never again EA, not after the bare-minimum skeleton of “stuff” you got in Sims 3. Stick your cash-cow!

• Safilpope says:

This. It was barely a finished game compared to the previous incarnations

• airmikee99 says:

Zwuh?

The Sims 3 base included more features than The Sims 2 base, and included many, many features that were only found in Sims 2 expansions. Most of the features from previous Sims games that were removed have been reintroduced through Sims 3 expansions.

What was missing that made it such a bare bones game?

• RedViv says:

But why can’t they keep all the elements from the expansions and just put them into the third game or now the forth that certainly is an option right they only need to hire twelve thousand people to port it and viola uber game

• zarnywoop says:

Not so much bare bones game, it was the sheer lack of decoration, furniture etc. The ones that were in the game were basically the same model with 3 different texture maps. At least sims 2 had more choice etc. It was purely because you could “buy” other furniture from the website. It was pure cash cow, because they saw what was effectively a market where people would buy these things to make the game more interesting – ie microtransactions. Not when you have just bought the game for normal price and got basic stuff only.

granted a lot of this is from memory but I I never even played Sims 3 much because of this, it was just too dull.

• stupid_mcgee says:

WTF? Did you miss the entire customizable textures thing? It allowed tou to completely reskin anything is any kind of pattern or texture you wanted. It’s was immensely robust.

-edit- NVM, I missed that you were referring to in-game models. Yes, they were rather limited and did seem to point to, “hey, you can always buy MORE stuff over that The Sims Store with SimFunBucks!”

• Arglebargle says:

Another cynical cash grab. They are going to milk their audience for more half-assed add-ons that they segregate out for the increased profit. And the modders will be producing the superior work.

11. Safilpope says:

Depression makes you a better writer, seriously?

12. Didden says:

Is that the next episode of Homeland in the screenshot? Also, nice tags guys :)

13. dixiecrandall says:

❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥
    my buddy’s mother-in-law makes $88 an hour on the internet. She has been without a job for five months but last month her check was $20521 just working on the internet for a few hours. blog here

❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥

14. Hypnotron says:

Is this game a Stepford Wives style horror simulation?

The characters in this game look like they were cast by the same people who do casting for MTV and Calvin Klein ads.

The Sims used to resemble real life a bit more, now it’s just a yuppie, consumer whore simulation.

Once again, big corporation takes promising concept and runs it into the ground. I know we can imagine much better social simulation games… so let’s build them.

15. Daedalus207 says:

Is that supposed to be Cara in the screenshot? I don’t see any soup in the background.

16. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Hey, staring eyes!

17. Big Murray says:

Why’s that girl have so many pancakes? Greedy.

• Gap Gen says:

The MRA shall never rest in their fight to bring justice and gender equality to the breakfast table.

Or maybe he already ate his, who knows.

• I Got Pineapples says:

Does that look like the face of a man who has just eaten half a stack of delicious pancakes?

• Hypnotron says:

He’s breaking the fourth wall is what he’s doing and that look… that is the “FML” look. He only has himself to blame though… all he had to do was put the toilet seat down and he would be having a nice peaceful breakfast right now. First world problems…

• Gap Gen says:

He’s definitely a stack-half-empty kinda guy.

18. Low Life says:

I was going to comment that I heard a pretty good argument for the endless expansions of the Sims series on a podcast I listen to, then I checked who wrote this article and realized that it was most likely you who gave that argument.

19. ShadowLeague says:

This is great news! My patience has paid off! Now when they release the Sims 4 they’ll stop making add-ons for the Sims 3 and I can finally get the Sims 3 full-edition!(the whole damn game)

Comment on this story