Rebellion’s Evil Genius Online In Open Beta… Again?

By John Walker on December 19th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

I’m getting the strangest feeling of deja vu. Rebellion – developers behind the mediocre Alien Vs Predator reboot, and the abysmal Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Something nonsense – recently announced a Facebook version of Evil Genius, now in open beta. Um, it’s not 2010, right? This already happened. As Alec reported three years ago, a game was up on Facebook and there to play. The link’s dead now, but it happened. We’re not mad. It happened. Now everyone else, including Rebellion, seems to have forgotten this, it’s happening all over again.

It’s just bewildering as I look around at every other coverage of this story, with this new game described as the first follow-up to 2004′s Evil Genius from Bullfrog spin-off Elixir. But? Huh? Oh, who cares.

The game’s not only on Facebook, but Zynga.com too. So there you are. And you can join the beta right now, to see if the (new) socialisation of the baddie base sim. A game that has you doing housework – literal housework – within the opening minute.

, , , .

RaveTurned says:

Boy, Evil Genius sure was an awesome game. Too bad they never made any sequels.

2. The First Door says:

Sigh, why can’t they just release a proper sequel to Evil Genius? I adored the original, despite it’s rough edges, and I’d love to play it again with different islands to build on and a few of the bugs in the original fixed up.

bills6693 says:

Exactly

This is exactly whats happened to Dugeon Keeper. It happend to both the Sims and SimCity for a little while (not that the full new version of SimCity was actually very good anyway). How many more good franchises will we see turned into mobile/social F2P cash-grabs?

lowprices says:

Pfft. Just wait ’til I release my Deus Ex Facebook game. 5 actions a day. Hacking terminals takes 2. Other players can “like” your status updates to increase your accuracy for headshots, and each moral choice can only be unlocked for 200 “Deus Dollarz”, which come in packs of 190 for $4.99.

RedViv says:

God games don’t sell. A prophet said so, I think.

• Geebs says:

If only God games could find a way to make a prophet, they could Saviour favourite genre, fundamentally. So not an in-sermon-table problem then!

• mangrove says:

You’re preaching to the choir, pal.

Anthile says:

But they also say there is no prophet in god games.

• AbigailBuccaneer says:

That’s exactly what they’re planning.

• LionsPhil says:

Interesting…that reads to me like they may be Kickstarting the real thing soonish.

Evil Genius was one of those games that just dripped with so much style that it smoothed over a number of terrible faults.

• socrate says:

While Evil Genius had alots of style the gameplay was just tedious and boring and i wouldn’t recommend it ever to anyone…instead id just tell them to play dungeon keeper 1&2 quite frankly…Evil Genius always felt broken and unfinished for me.

Then again this guy made so many bad game he should be banned from making anything ever again quite frankly.

Diziet Sma says:

Thanks for that, everyone should probably read this first. Really useful.

• frightlever says:

Including JW because it pretty much explains the exact thing he was being snarky about. Good call on that link @AbigailBuccaneer. They should do that red priority thing with your comment.

• The First Door says:

Thanks for that link, that’s good to know!

lowprices says:

The same Facebook game being released twice? Well gang, looks like we have a mystery on our hands.

My guess is either the first release was so unsuccessful that they’re trying to relaunch and hoping nobody will notice, or it’ll turn out to have been Old Man Jenkins in a costume pretending to be Rebellion in order to steal the Evil Genius IP for himself.

EDIT: Looking at the link above it looks like they are openly relaunching the redesigned game after the first incarnation turned out to be a shoddy pile of shod. Mystery solved, Scooby!

4. tsar says:

And what to say about the fact that they own the Ground Control IP, man i would love to see a sequel of this awesome game.

• Solidstate89 says:

You didn’t like Ground Control II?

• tsar says:

Sure i did, it was awesome, but no way to play it in multiplayer anymore, sadly. I was only referring to the IP as a whole(gc+gc2 and expansion). I would love to see GC3.

• MisterMumbles says:

Have you by any chance tried GameRanger? While its scope may not be enormous those old games it does support usually work like a charm, and Ground Control 2 is on their list. ;)

• tsar says:

Thank you, yes i’m checking this now, i see GC2 in the list but no servers running. Well i plan to resurrect this game and make a server after Christmas and maybe do some modding on it.
            But damn i can’t find any other games like that on the market, i can’t even find any decent RTS games except sc2 or good old ones like Generals and c&c.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

I think the trouble with the multiplayer in GC2 at this juncture is just that no one is there to play it. I ended up running into that when I finally bought a copy some while ago. At least the singleplayer was kind of fun.

• tsar says:

I think Massgate and gamespy arcade are no longer live that’s why you can’t see any servers but we can always try^^. If you’re interested in playing multiplayer we can perhaps try a Gameranger server( it’s very easy to use). i know few guys that might be interested in playing it if we can get more than 2 players.
            you can write me at dragon1212@hotmail.fr

MajorManiac says:

Don’t they also own the entire 2000AD back catalogue. Its insane that they don’t make games from that. For anyone who doesn’t know, its like owning Marvel or DC comics.

• Spatula Clarke says:

They do own 2000AD, yeah. And yes, the fact that they’ve done absolutely nothing of worth with it, bar two decent-ish releases pretty soon after they bought it, shows what a clueless bunch of norks they are.

Hell, it’s actually *better* than owning the Marvel or DC IP. No need to stick to a shared universe, little in the way of botheration wrt continuity, endless prospects for new titles due to the comic’s habit of regularly introducing entirely new worlds, characters and stories.

5. johbson says:

So that’s where the IP for one of my favourite games is.

Dead. With all my dreams and hopes. Well at least now I know.

• tsar says:

Same for me man, i had to ask UBISOFT and a former Massive entertainment employee in order to get the info, it’s so sad. GC2 was so fun in multiplayer and there is no other game like that on the market.
      I wish i could play GC2 again but can’t find any servers via any softs like tumble or something like that. There was this game, End of nations, was kind of like GC before they turned it into MOBA.

6. darkdemon says:

What a negative article. I’ve been in the open beta for EGO, and I can tell you, it’s a lot of fun. Yes it’s a social game, along with all the trappings, but it’s still a good game, with a lot to do, and a lot more yet to come.

And as far as the in-app purchases go, you’ve picked the highest amount buyable for your picture, yet a) Gold is VERY easily attainable, very early on. And b) You get given gems! So if you log in every day, you’ll get a stream of gems, makes absolutely everything attainable without paying a penny.

• Frosty840 says:

I am a lazy man with a short attention span. I will complete games in one long orgy of gaming or I will not complete them at all.
      “Log in and play for five minutes every day for three months so we can build a solid per-day view/clickthrough rate to convince advertisers to actually give us money before people forget we exist after the first couple of months after release” style games are an actual attack against my gaming habits.
      I don’t want to log in every day, and I certainly don’t want to pay seventy sodding quid to spend five hours playing a game that might not be any good and which, if it is any good then I have to pay another seventy quid to play another five hours.

Madness.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I’m gonna hate-play this shit. Not buy anything and just play for free and steal their free to play game.

7. TechnicalBen says:

I might just teach myself programming, or you know, text editing. Then I can change my “gold” amount from 1 to 1bizillion for less than £75. :/

8. Urre says:

You worded that introduction as if it wasn’t Rebellion who made the original, really bloody awesome, AvP. How they managed to fail everything after their 1999 PC version is beyond me though.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Am I the only sucker who thought AvP 2010 was fun? It was never close to AvP2 but it was above mediocre and fail IMO.
      (And yes I did play the amazing original 1999 AvP like crazy. I still have the CD’s somewhere and put a few hours into the AvP 2000 re-release).

9. undr337 says:

John`s blurb is cool, I just bought a gorgeous Subaru Impreza from earning $5396 thiss month and would you believe, $10k this past munth. this is certainly the best work I have ever had. I started this four months/ago and pretty much straight away made myself at least $79, per-hour. more information http://ho.io/Freelance

10. gryffinp says:

“Evil Genius”

Eh?

“Facebook game”

Oh.

11. Thatich73 says:

my buddy’s sister-in-law makes $84 hourly on the computer. She has been unemployed for ten months but last month her pay check was $19463 just working on the computer for a few hours. hop over to this web-site►●►●►●►

12. didyouseethat says:

Facepalm

It doesn’t say you get free gold if you pay for it
    It says you alsoget additional gold for free if you buy

Might want to do some editing on that :)

• dE says:

Which means it is not free, you’re actively paying for it. Do people actually fall for that “get xyz free if you buy this” method? In the way that they truely think they got something for free, out of a purchase they made?

13. didyouseethat says:

“I’m not quite sure how the in-app purchases are going to work, but I’m pretty sure that an option to “buy gold” shouldn’t then tell you that it’s giving you the gold for free if you pay.”

casually reading, it reads as if he is talking about the gold he’s buying, not the additional gold, about which i’d agree having the word ‘free’ is more or less kind of wrong

From a designer/commercial perspective i’d say its better to speak of bonus gold.
    I guess enough people fall for it, we’ve all bought a ‘buy this get this for free item’ at some point somewhere, it’s the same draw.
    So yeah, people fall for it (the concept) by the millions every day.