Finally: There Is A Witcher Boardgame

By Nathan Grayson on January 10th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

The day that everyone’s been eagerly awaiting is finally upon us. After years of suffering through CD Projekt’s childish “videogame” machinations, The Witcher is assuming its proper place on sturdy, grown-up tables the world over. The Witcher Adventure Game – which is not a Witcher adventure game – is a four-player role-based romp through the series’ witchy wilds. All the trademarks are in place: recognizable characters, quests with choices and multiple outcomes, and – yes, thank the heavens – Geralt’s beard. Trailer and info on how all these jagged jigsaw pieces fit together below.

Fantasy Flight Games is developing, and the core concept sounds rather intriguing. As with CDP’s digital dalliances, story and character are the backbones of this one. You embody your the personality and traits of either Geralt, Triss, Dandelion, or Yarpen and cooperate/compete your way to victory. It works like this:

“Each character has unique abilities and their own deck of Development Cards. As a result, each time you play you can discover something new by trying out varied characters and experimenting with different builds. For example, when playing as Geralt of Rivia, the main hero of the Witcher franchise, you can develop your character either by specializing in brewing and utilizing combat Elixirs, or else by growing your ability to cast powerful Witcher Signs.”

“Immersion and replayability are enhanced by the game’s versatile decision-making dynamic. Will you aid your comrades or walk the path of a lone wolf? Will you make honest trades with other players or get what you need with false promises?”

It doesn’t have a release date yet, but probably expect it fairly soon. And if not, well, I suppose you could always wile away the hours with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. You know, if you’re into “videogames” and all that other virtual devilry.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. nemooo says:

Also worth noting: There will be an Android an iOS Version of this board game as well! I’m rather excited.

• Torn says:

I’m finding myself playing more iPad board games than their physical counterparts these days. Here’s hoping the game will be good, and the port to tablet will be a good one!

• JimboDeany says:

I’m guessing that this’ll be another iOS release and then the Android version will fall by the wayside…..

• Angthe1932 says:

my roomate’s mother makes $76 hourly on the laptop. She has been without work for 8 months but last month her pay was $18909 just working on the laptop for a few hours. why not try this out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• pocketlint60 says:

A video game based on a board game based on a video game.

What has science done.

2. Freud says:

I won’t play it if it doesn’t have romance cards to collect. With boobies!

• TheMasquerader says:

I agree. Geralt’s beard just isn’t enough to convince me to play this game.

• Maxheadroom says:

Really tried to like these games but bounced off both of them due to my loathing for it’s swaggering, arrogant prick of a main protagonist.

• Freud says:

Part of it was probably eastern European macho ideals but I have to think there must have been some tongue in cheek in there, since Geralt screwed not only a horde of women, but also a dryad, a vampire and the lady of the lake. It went from very dorky to hilarious.

To their credit, the sequel was more modern. Perhaps because it was designed for a world wide audience from scratch.

• aryman says:

they just realized that kids are playing their games too. and many of them seeing boobies first time are shocked, devastated etc. then this immature kids are writing everywhere (even on rps.com!) that sex in games is awful etc. it’s bad PR for the game, so they made a decision to remove most of boobies from the Witcher 2 :)

• bleeters says:

I’m not sure how you came to that conclusion regarding their motivations for scaling back the sex for a sequel that literally has T&A within the first five minutes.

I criticised the hell out of Witcher 1 for this, but I don’t care if they include sex and nudity in their games. I care when they include sex and nudity in their games in poorly developed ways for seemingly no better reason than cheap gratification. Witcher 2 I was fine with. Witcher 1 had everything from random peasants to mythological horrors wanting to bang you pretty much the moment you showed up.

3. Deano2099 says:

And designed by Ignacy Trzewiczek, who made Stronghold (the board game) and Robinson Crusoe. And as you may have noticed, is also Polish.

4. roguewombat says:

But why can’t you specialize in brewing and open a pub?

Anthile says:

The Witcher 3 is going to be better.

6. Ricc says:

I like how Dandelion looks appropriately incompetent at using a sword. He really should stick to serenading ghosts.

7. Syphus says:

FFG, The Witcher, Some Other Polish Guy, I’ll be buying this game.

8. gschmidl says:

It’s actually being developed by Ignacy Trzewiczek of Portal Games, one of the best current board game designers out there.

shaydeeadi says:

A bit disappointing that Zoltan isn’t on the roster but I’m interested nonetheless.

10. Zekiel says:

Who is this Yarpen fellow and why isn’t he Zoltan?

Also – I am delighted that you can play as a fearsome monster hunter, a ludicrously powerful sorceress or… a guy who plays a lute and sings. Hooray for bards!

• DaeL says:

I think I read somewhere, that the boardgame is supposed to include some of the “quests” and “adventures” from the books. In that case the choice of Yarpen instead of Zoltan makes sense. Yarpen was definately the more promintent character in the books. Of course going by that logic they should have also chosen Yennefer instead of Triss, but I guess they didn’t want to spoil the big reveal of Witcher 3 (that’s not a spoiler btw, that’s just pure speculation)

• mechabuddha says:

Ah, I guess that explains it. I’ve only been able to read Last Wish and Blood of Elves. And bonus! I’ve just discovered they translated another into English!

• DaeL says:

Well… about time. Times of Contempt is probably my favourite book from the Witcher saga. You’re gonna have a blast reading it. But what I don’t understand is why they still didn’t get around to translating the second short stories collection (Sword of Destiny). It takes place before Blood of Elves, and introduces the Law of Surprise which is crucial is you want to understand who Ciri is and what is the nature of her relationship with Geralt.

One could also wonder why the hell did Brits and Americans have to wait for Sapkowski’s books to be published in the first place. Sapkowski has been quite popular across the whole non-English speaking Europe since the early 90. (granted – not as huge as George R.R. Martin, but still quite popular), so what the heck happened with the English translation?

• DanDeath says:

One can find fan translations of the rest of the books online, but I’m not sure if that’s considered “pirating” since they were posted on the official Witcher forums, and it’s still up after a few years.

I’ve read through most of them and I will say, the translations aren’t the best, but they also aren’t terrible. I just wish the rest of the official translations would hurry up and come out. But I think they are starting to, since The Time of Contempt was released later last year, while Baptism of Fire is apparently going to be released next month.

Still no official translation of The Sword of Destiny though…

• YohnTheViking says:

And lest we forget, it’s a Fantasy Flight produced game. Gotta save something for the expansions

11. Hunchback says:

OMG OMG OMG OMG

*Lost speech*

12. Duke of Chutney says:

I love FFG schpeil vids, they take themselves very seriously.

Ignacy Trzewiczek is the only thing that gives me a remote interest in this game.

13. rolandormcquiston says:

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $82/hour ℴn the internet. She has been fired from work for 6 months but last month her pay check was $13120 just working ℴn the internet for a few hours. lℴℴk at this web-site….. http://www.dub30.com

14. pack.wolf says:

I’m curious what the book’s author will have to say about the boardgame when it comes out. Afair he wasn’t a big fan of the video games (and also somewhat dickish about it).

Well, FFG’s licensed games are actually quite good most of the time, so this might be a look. But since I still have some other boardgames on my to buy list (GoT2, TI3, Shogun, Republic of Rome, I-don’t-know-how-many-expansions) and they are pricey and I’m not as rich as I’d like to be, I think I’ll hold off for the moment.

• dE says:

As far as I know, the “dickish” thing was a translation mistake. Heck, the whole thing seemed to have been a translation problem. For example, he doesn’t hate the games, he actually praises them, but also remarks that videogames are outside of his interests. He does not play videogames and as such can’t comment on the actual plot of the games.
      He went out of his way to emphasize that he is the one in control of the canon. People took that to mean he hates everything else. It really is just a case of getting to say what happens to Geralt and the other Characters, without having to factor in what happens in the game. Heck, how’d he even go about that, multiple endings and all?

There’s one thing he’s a bit annoyed about though, and I can actually relate to that. People now often ask him about the videogame first, his books second. In a way, while the books spawned the whole thing, the games far surpassed the popularity and mass appeal of the books. It’s one of those “oh they really should make a book out of those Harry Potter movies” thing going on. And if I were to create something and everyone else suddenly assumed my original work was just the derivative form, I’d be annoyed as well. Especially if people were to pester me about the story decisions in the witcher games. I guess it’s also a new feeling to him, because there were derivative works prior to the games. Like movie adaptations and similiar.

One way or another, no one mention the Elric of Melniboné thing near him. There’s a certain irony when it comes to derivative works.

• TWChristine says:

I can understand that..it’s how I always felt when I would go on Youtube to find a song and find the Glee version at the top of the list with people commenting on how “their songs are the best!!!1″ One thing I’ve always been impressed by was on Guns N’ Roses “Spaghetti Incident” they listed all the bands they covered and then said something along the lines of “Do yourself a favor and go find the originals.”

• DaeL says:

What he said might have suffered from errors in translation, but I wouldn’t bet on it, since Sapkowski does actually have an opinion for being kind of a dick and a narcissist. To give you an example – he is probably the only sci-fi/fantasy writer in Poland who takes offence when fans or other writers adress him using his first name (even though that’s actually customary in Polish sci-fi/fantasy fandom).
        That being said, he is a truly brilliant and amazingly entertaining writer, and him being a dick does not take away the pleasure of reading his books.

• Rosveen says:

He might actually like it. The idea to make a board game came from Ignacy Trzewiczek, who’s a great fan of the Witcher universe. He approached CD Projekt a couple years ago, but nothing came out of it. He didn’t give up and contacted Sapkowski, they talked about the game but it didn’t work out either because of licence issues – so Sapkowski didn’t immediatly shoot it down. Then CD Projekt decided to make the game after all, sent an email to Trzewiczek and here we are.

15. Hathouty says:

Google is paying 75$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On Sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. Useful site…>> http://WWW.BAY93.COM

16. Jakkar says:

Geralt, beard? He’d never get that far with that many ladies with scratchy face-parts, other than those with a lumberjack fetish. It just isn’t *comfortable*.

17. Hencts says:

my classmate’s mother-in-law makes $87 every hour on the computer. She has been without work for 10 months but last month her payment was $21413 just working on the computer for a few hours. read,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Bay95.com

Don Reba says:

Valve should make a Half Life board game just to mess with the fans.

19. jarowdowsky says:

Given how stunning Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on a Cursed Island is, I can’t wait to try this. The design of that game is magnificent.

20. Blackcompany says:

Cautiously Optimistic on this.

On the one hand, when Fantasy Flight is on – Netrunner, Warhammer: Invasion – they really nail it. Their games are fun to play and deep, without being overly complex or complicated for the sake of it.

On the other hand, when Fantasy Flight stumbles – Star Wars card game, Rune Age – they really fall down. There’s a difference between depth, and complexity for its own sake. And every now and then, FF really struggles with this, or so it seems to me.

Here’s to hoping this turns out to be good.

21. Marrow says:

I hate to be negative, but I found the wording of this article to be so misleading.
    Talking about “Finally, there is a game” and “the day is finally upon us” got me so excited that I was getting ready to hunt for somewhere I could order this from, and not until the end of the article does it actually clarify that the release date hasn’t even been announce, but it will ‘hopefully’ be before the third game comes out?

Great article, but wouldn’t “Witcher Board Game in the works/possibly releasing 2014″ be a little more accurate?

• Meshuggener says:

Honestly, it’s like sensationalist headlines is the only way they’ll get views.

22. RPSRSVP says: