Come In: Kingdom Come Will Be ‘Very Open’ To Modding

By Nathan Grayson on January 25th, 2014 at 1:00 pm.

Would this scene still be historically accurate if nobody was wearing clothes?

Kingdom Come: Deliverance didn’t quite win me over during a recent demo, but it certainly got me galloping toward its corner. Evidently, I’m not the only one, given that it’s already made enough money to buy its own kingdom. It’s preposterous with a capital Osterous, and I doubt it’ll be slowing down any time soon. But maybe you’re still on the fence. And that’s fine. I respect your most-annoying-person-in-the-ice-cream-line-like discernment. But I must say, Warhorse sure seems to be on the right track, and its approach to modding is no different.

Speaking with RPS as part of an interview, project director Daniel Vávra revealed that mods are a-okay in Warhorse’s book leatherbound historical tome:

“We are quite open to modding,” he said. “Since it’s on CryEngine, it should be easy to mod, too.”

But what about an even easier-to-use Kingdom-Come-specific toolset? That idea is still up in the air, but Vávra’s definitely going to push for it. “We hope that we will be able to release our tools and assets for CryEngine SDK. No guarantees now, but it would be a shame not to do it.”

He also mentioned that he’d be interested to see players make the game’s survival elements more life-or-death, replicating a DayZ or Fallout: New Vegas JSawyer experience within it.

Regardless, Kingdom Come will absolutely be moddable on some level, and that’s an exciting thought. First chance I get, I’m going to turn it into a real videogame by adding dragons.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Paul says:

Wait, there already was interview, no? That means new one is on its way, or is this just “deleted scenes”?
    I mean, I want all there is, considering as this game shot up right next to Witcher 3 as my most anticipated ever.
    Modding tools are cool, it could live for years after relase like TES does.
    One more thing, could you ask Vavra about the meaning behind the name of the game? Plenty people say it is somewhat lame, but I think the rationale might be interesting.

• thr says:

Vavra spoke about the meaning of the title in a czech podcast. “Kingdom come” is meant to be the part of the Lords prayer. Vavra said the whole middle-age and especially the Hussite wars were all about the people awaiting the end of the world and the kingdom of heaven to come. So the title should accurately describe the time in which the game takes place. “Deliverance” is because the story is simply about a deliverance. He talked a little bit more about it, but that’s the main thing.

• Xylismand35 says:

my roomate’s sister-in-law makes $82 /hr on the computer . She has been without a job for 6 months but last month her income was $14862 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read Full Article…….

2. GROM says:

mods will mean someone will eventually make a book inspired songs of ice and fire mod, wich means I will play it a lot. YAY!

• Milos says:

Mods will mean naked wenches on day two, at the latest.

• Uboa Noticed You says:

“lol NEW NUDE REAL WOMEN BODY MOD feturing REAL TITZ and HOURGLASS 4 ALL LIEK REAL WOMAN XD”
        I’m hoping the audience for this game will have a better modding community than The Elder Scroll’s has. I swear for a month straight the top mods were “body rehauls” that just fetishized all the female characters.

3. dethtoll says:

“Your comment is awaiting moderation.” :|

4. presence says:

Is this going to be multiplayer? Single player, probably entirely MEH.

• presence says:

It does say it near the top of the kickstarter description. Don’t know how I missed it.

MEH.

• Paul says:

Fuck multiplayer in the ass. Let them dedicate all their resources to glorious singleplayer experience.

• Leb says:

Singleplayer is gonna rock, assuming they do it right.

• presence says:

Love to see how they are going to make it fun to play single player when you are one person in an army of thousands.

• Blinky343 says:

Pretty easily, since the majority of the game is the player running around doing quests, with the huge battles being setpiece chapter enders

• presence says:

Perhaps. Unfortunately, what they are suggesting isn’t going to happen in 500k, or even in 1M. I hope the best. I’ll wait for its release and see what it looks like then.

• El_Emmental says:

I play MP games since the early 90s (LAN and dialup ftw).

1) There is currently no way for a small developer with no support from a massive publisher to provide the network infrastructure (servers, bandwidth and maintenance crew) to properly support more than 128 players per game.

Especially since:
            (1) No splash damage weapons. So you can’t tolerate more than 150 ms latency.
            (2) No instant-travel projectiles (firearms). So you can’t tolerate more than 120 ms latency.
            (3) Mostly melee weapons. So you can’t tolerate more than 80 ms latency.
            (4) A melee using inverse kinematics. So you can’t tolerate more than 50 ms latency.
            => technically it’s just not feasible, you would need LAN/optical fiber for all your players to make it enjoyable.

2) You can’t achieve the minimum of “visual fidelity” (graphics) expected from the market, and have more than 100 people in the same field. Planetside 2 barely have that much people, the graphics level remains rather low, even if it’s heavily backed by Sony.

3) You’ll need a game engine specifically designed for that. The CryEngine isn’t capable of handling hundreds of players at the same time. Warhorse can’t create an engine from scratch.

4) I have yet to see a game design system where thousands of average non-hardcore players can play together without it turning into a complete boring mess (where having 30 or 100 players doesn’t change anything). Again, I played PS 2 and it’s extremely difficult to have tactics/strategies affecting more than 30 players.

The only games who can still provide an interesting gameplay experience despite the amount of players reaching the hundreds, are MMOs with hardcore players (basically, EvE).

There’s a reason medieval battles were very often a complete mess, that trained troops were extremely precious (making them superexpensive), and that a battle could be lost only be losing the few officers/generals a side had.

This why you would need trained, serious and dedicated officers in every single round, to not turn these battles into a random Team Deathmach goo (that you can achieve with just 30 players and respawn).

Games like Natural Selection 2 or Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm or Empires or… basically all MP games requiring 1 single officer, have at least half their games ruined by a commander competence imbalance. Now ask people to have 50 officers – never going to work.

5) MP medieval battles games already have Chivalry (for the infantry close range brawl) and Mount&Blade (for a more complex medieval warfare), or even the medieval Total Wars (modded in all directions).

There is also Skyrim (for the casual, magical medieval fantasy SP game) and The Witcher 1, 2 and soon 3 (for the less-casual, magical medieval fantasy SP game).

The only viable slot left is the non-magical medieval SP game, which is exactly what Kingdom Come is looking for.

Also, globally, going for a MP title is just pointless these days: there’s already way too much genuinely good MP titles to play, and not enough dedicated players. The vast majority of CoD/BF/WoW/Dota2/LoL players are never going to get out of their comfort zone and search for some indie MP titles, I never see them on all the MP titles I play/try.

Actually, the amount of MP gamers looking for indie/niche games have actually shrank down because of more popular games drawing them in these one-game communities (example: FPS gamers leaving the mod and indie scene, to grow up the ranks of BF3/CoD because playing socially-accepted games with your real-life friends is more gratifying and counts as socializing according to the current society).

6) MP titles requires a lot more development resources after launch, than SP titles.

Indie developers who refused to admit that faced terrible long-term commercial success (after the initial decent sales), because they thought they could get away with a skeleton crew only fixing the worst bugs post-launch. It doesn’t work. It’s far from enough.

See: almost all indie MP titles (from larger indie devs like SD with Brink, to all the smaller MP games (2D, isometric 3D, cheap 3D) failing to survive the initial 3 months).

• TekDragon says:

Single player only is why I backed this game. I am so tired of developers taking an amazing concept and then spending half their time and resources developing a multiplayer mode that is played for a few weeks before 90% of the community moves on to something else.

Mass Effect 3 was a great example of this. Can you imagine how much better the experience and reception for ME3 would have been had they taken the resources they squandered on bullshit multiplayer and devoted it towards building a worthy conclusion to the game and series?

These guys are devoting ALL of their resources to making the best single player experience possible and they deserve to be rewarded for it.

• Blinky343 says:

Mass Effect 3 multi was amazing and hugely successful though? What an odd post

• Continuity says:

Its not that odd, many RPG fans, probably most RPG fans, despise multiplayer. RPG at its heart is about creating a world and a story that the player can lose themselves in, escape from reality too… other players break that sort of immersion, so multiplayer is somewhat anathema to the core RPG experience.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Agreed. I am just not a fan of mulitplayer RPG at all. I love huge worlds I can explore and know that the things I meet will be OF that world. Even when other people are friendly, they are still “world inconsistent”. Watch a Lets Play of a multiplayer or co-op game and listen to them speaking to each other. Something epic can happen and they will just go “oh hey look dude, that Plesiosaur totally just exploded into a million robot spiders. Cool. I wonder if it will drop something awesome”. Its fun, but A PLESIOSAUR JUST EXPLODED INTO A MILLION ROBOT SPIDERS. “Oh look” is not the reaction you would have IRL to such an (admittedly fantastical) event, though you would if you were immersed in the game’s fiction. Some games benefit from this, but other’s really do not.

This is even worse for an emotional event. Some games I actually want to let myself get carried away with it and yes, perhaps even do that most publically banned of things, have a cry. In a mutliplayer environment, as in a normal social environment like a pub, emotional expression like that is blunted or needs to be hidden [dependent on comfort level of assembled company]. Nope. People are lovely but also suck. Keep them out of my games / get off my land etc

• defunkt says:

Love the fidelity and the setting but playing with bots? No thanks, that’s soooooo last century.

• Shodex says:

Wait, people prefer some repetitive multiplayer mode to a lengthy single player experience now?
      All right boys, time to pack up. This video games thing was fun while it lasted, but it’s over now. We’re done.

5. Marblecake says:

Hey Nathan, there’s something that’s been bothering me a little bit.
    How come you are so excited for Kingdom Come, which I admit sounds exciting, and yet are so openly sceptical of Star Citizen?
    It’s just that I’ve noticed that all your articles on the latter are laced with guarded apprehension concerning the promises made by its development team, although the game is completely independently funded (by an astronomical amount, no less), which means no interference from a higher power, while the devs have also promised moddability and the possibility of running your own servers. Added to which, it will be a PC-only release, with no compromises made for console compatibility, as opposed to Kingdom Come.
    Okay, I realize I come off a bit butt-hurt, but it’s not meant as a “whine-he-likes-that-other-game-more-than-the-one-I-like”-post. Rather, I’m genuinely interested in your reasons.
    I’m all for healthy scepticism, but why is it that you are more sceptical of Star Citizen than Kingdom Come, given all the facts we have on both games?

• derbefrier says:

He is not alone in his skepticism of Star Citizen among video game journalists to be fair. Seems to be a common theme among most articles posted by most gaming sites. I understand its quite an ambitious game but its strange to me that the very thing people wanted to start happening in PC gaming again (to seriously push the limits of what a PC can do) is met with so much doubt in the press instead of the “fuck yeah guys lets show people what the PC is really capable of!” mentality I would expect. specially from a PC game oriented site such as this. Its weird that no matter how much info is released this hesitation seems to not falter at all. This is probably why the Dog Fighting module was delayed too and why Roberts himself said he gets the feeling people seem to want this game to fail or at least seem to expect it to. Hopefully the Dog Fighting Modules will win finally win over the press and we don’t have to keep hearing about feature creep and other BS in every article that mentions it.

• lordfrikk says:

I know almost nothing about Star Citizen, but isn’t one of the reasons why people are skeptical that there’s not much of a game, yet?

• Marblecake says:

Well, if a major company were to announce a game with little material available apart from in-engine videos and a minute proof-of-concept level (which Star Citizen’s hangar module basically is), few games journalists would be this heavy on whether or not this game would see the light of day. In fact, they’d probably end their articles with something like “I can’t wait till XYZ can show us more” instead of “let’s see how this all pans out”.
        The major reason here of course is money and had the crowdfunding stopped at 6m I would very much understand the fear that this ambitious project might never be released. However, with the amount of funds they now have, this should no longer be a major fear.

But: Star Citizen does not only have proof-of-concept videos and alpha modules. It already has (as mentioned in my post below) a huge amount of lore and it expands every day. And this, above all, should be heartening. I can remember a couple of articles on RPS where John (or one of the others, don’t remember) quite rightly pointed out that it’s a shame that writing is so often an afterthought with games. Basically, the game gets made first, then the writers come in and have to create a story that suits the game. But in SC’s case, the writing happens in conjunction with the game development, and if you’d take the time to look at what is already there in terms of content….well…it’s a couple of days worth reading.

So, yes, real playable game is not really there yet. But there is enough meat, enough actual presence, to make it more than just an ephemeral hope, and I believe it deserves to be treated as more than that.

• drewski says:

I don’t think it’s inappropriate to wait for code. Anyone can write a fancy story, doesn’t mean there’s going to be a good videogame. This is especially true of Chris “My Stories Are So Good I Should Be In Movies” Roberts.

• Marblecake says:

Never said it wasn’t.
            But then again, most writers would probably take exception to the statement “anybody can write a fancy story”.
            Moreover, the story isn’t written by Chris Roberts, but by a staff writer named Dave Haddock.
            Still, all right, I accept the argument that the scepticism comes from unavailable, playable content.

• drewski says:

I used “fancy” rather than “good” specifically.

But lore /= game, essentially.

• Arglebargle says:

Perhaps the journalists have talked to folks who’ve worked with Roberts in the past. I have, and it hasn’t left me enthused about Star Citizen. Still, all that money will be good for drawing attention to the Space genre, no matter what happens with SC.

• Marblecake says:

Hey, you’ve gone and made me curious now. Can you be more specific without getting into trouble? I’d actually like to know more about what you’re referring to. Is it a question of him aiming too high, making promises he can’t keep?

• Arglebargle says:

Essentially, what I’ve got is that Roberts is a bit of an egomaniac, not particularly creative, and regularly took personal credit for work done by people on his teams. Lots of self aggrandizement. Several games he headed had significant production delays due to bad decisions. In later Origin games he was focused on the cinematics, and was considered to be one of those guys who really wanted to make movies instead of games. Unlike other Origin heads, the general commentary is uniformally negative. The nicest thing anyone said about him was, ‘Maybe he’s matured in the last 15 years….’

His decade long Hollywood career is not inspiring, a string of mediocre to bad films that didn’t make money (The ultimate Hollywood sin!). Right when that ended, he re-discovered his love of games. Hmn.

Star Citizen’s quality will depend greatly on the talent of the team he brings in, imo. I expect that there will be difficulties there, regardless, from the ever extending promises. Given that some aspects of the game are being developed modularly, by outside companies, there’ll be the issue of inter-connection difficulties too.

With the cash-shop-in-advance mode of funding, it really won’t matter if they can’t deliver — the money is already there. They’re selling fantasy now, and the fantasy is almost always better than the reality, since it conforms to each individual’s desires.

I think he’s playing the PR game masterfully, and anyone considering crowdfunding should check out the good parts of his approach. Elements of the game sound great, but I am not going to jump in till I see actual results (and most likely a finished game of some sort).

• Marblecake says:

Wow, thanks for that comprehensive reply.
            However, while financially he might’ve been a failure in Hollywood, creatively, at least for us Germans, he wasn’t – Lucky Number Slevin has become something of a cult classic over here ;)
            Regarding the promises, I don’t feel that he has promised anything that is beyond reach. Everything from the dogfighting, to the seamless transition between flying and FPS, to the crewing of a larger cruiser, and all the MMO stuff in the persistent universe and branching storylines in Squadron 42 – it all seems eminently doable. It is of course a question of time and money, the expenditure of which can go up or drop exponentially depending on the quality of management. I guess this is exactly where we’ll see whether he has matured, as you put it. I personally feel that he can and will deliver. This is based on a) the fact that he actually does have a metric fuckton of money to spend (at 6m I was doubtful that he could pull it of, now, at 37m….not so much) and b) the amount of community interaction. There is so much going on, it is incredible. Yes, there isn’t much in the way of a game yet, but the amount of lore that has already been developed…the world basically already exists.
            Anyway, I digress.
            Final thought: If what you say is true (forgive me, this *is* the internet) and most journalists know these stories, then I can definitely understand Nathan’s scepticism.

Post-final whiney thought-grumbling thingy: I still think that getting so excited for a game that will probably be ruined by consoleboxes and being optimized for gamepads is out of place. Gah.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

To cherry pick your final grumble, perhaps this will allay some fears. Go on. Let them be allayed. Just a bit.

Grumpy pants still on? Cigar and a waffle? No? Smoke and a pancake? Pipe and a crepe? No? Then there is no pleeshing you.

• Marblecake says:

Hey CookPassBabtridge, for some reason I couldn’t reply to your post.

My fears aren’t in regard to Star Citizen, but rather to Kingdom Come. I like the idea and was about to back, but then it turned out that they are developing for consoleboxes from the outset and that controls were tailored to gamepads.
            But the article you linked to had another thing that bothered me and didn’t respond to back then: Nathan says that 30m is a “pittance” where development of a single-player, story-driven game is concerned and that is simply not true. Let’s take the astronomical budget GTA5 ostensibly had…wasn’t it $256m? Now considering that you could see a GTA5 commercial about every 10 minutes on TV and before every single movie you went to watch, all the billboards and newspaper ads…and that was only here in Germany. I’m certain they advertised the game in the same way in every other country where consoleboxes are available. So you can be pretty sure that most of that overblown budget was spent on advertising and marketing. The game itself probably cost between 30-50m.
            So, no, I cannot believe that 30m is a pittance.

TL;DR: I was referring to Kingdom Come with my fears, not Star Citizen. The rest of my post is ranting :D

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Ohh okey dokey I see. In that case, I too now have my grumpy pants on. GRUMPY PANTS ACROSS THE WORLD

• basilisk says:

Marblecake, the budget of GTA V is generally estimated to be somewhere between $130–150 million for development and the same amount on top of that spent on marketing (source: Wikipedia and the internet in general). So you’re way off there.

• Marblecake says:

@CookPassBabtridge: Hooray for grumpiness!

@basilisk: I’m sorry, I did some googling and all sources put the total budget (i.e. development + marketing) at GBP 170m, which is $256m. (Here’s one source: http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/09/gta-5-most-expensive-game-in-history-cost-170-million-to-make-market/)
            Another source even mentions the licensing of over 200 songs for the in-game radio, which definitely gobbled up a couple of million and cannot even be considered development cost but is surely part of the budget.
            So my point stands: how can 30 million dollars (now over 37 million dollars) be a pittance? If at all, this sum should actually make people more optimistic, seeing how this comes close to the actual development budget of major AAA titles.

• basilisk says:

Yeah, and 130 + 130 = 260, which means the figures you and I are quoting are in the same ballpark. You’re saying that this ~260 is divided into 30 + 230, which is something you have absolutely no source for and frankly feels quite ridiculous. Spending the same amount on development and marketing is crazy enough. The game was five years in development, made by a team of hundreds of people (again, various sources). That simply has to add up to something.

Skyrim would be a much better reference for this game (considering they want to be bigger and all); estimates on that vary between 80 to 100 million dollars, but I haven’t found any very trustworthy source. In any case, this stuff isn’t cheap, you know.

(And that’s Skyrim, based on a slightly improved version of an engine that Bethesda’s people know like the back of their own hand, with all of the authoring tools, art pipelines, scripting mechanisms, RPG systems etc. already in place from previous games and quite reusable. Kingdom Come doesn’t have that.)

• El_Emmental says:

Chris Robert hasn’t shipped a game in 10 years, right ?

The developers behind Kingdom Come have all been releasing titles in the last 10 years, have a much clearer view of game development (you can look it up on their devblog), have already made a lot of solid assets, with a very limited budget, and finally they have a much credible game development plan (they met many publishers and adjusted it with their feedback).

Also, according to one of their devblog entry (talking about their publishers tour) several publishers assured they were certain they would finish the development and produce a perfectly viable game, but couldn’t invest in the project *now*, because the head company/board avoided 3rd party projects atm, or were financially too weak atm.

On the other hand, you have Chris Robert, the man with the big ego and not much to actually show. Thus the skepticism, and skepticism only because it would be silly to already label it as a scam or failure or whatever, if Chris matured, if the devteam is pretty good, Star Citizen could be a good game, released on time. Could be.

6. manny says:

Moment I heard “Cryengine RPG”, I knew it was doomed. There’s a good reason why the latest FPS commercial engines aren’t used to make RPG’s, it requires too much money for art assets.

But this was before I read that they had actually built the engine for their Mafia game from the ground up, then did it again for Mafia 2. So this adoption of a commercial engine is quite cautious.

Hopefully they don’t intend to revolutionize gaming. A decent FPS RPG would in itself be revolutionary. No need for anything else. Focus on real content, missions/dialogue/story. Copy game mechanics from the best examples. That’s it.

• El_Emmental says:

They stated several times on their KS page and on their blog that they won’t do like Skyrim and have a gigantic map made of 200 castles, resulting in rather similar places.

They made the design choice of restricting themselves to smaller region, to focus on quality over quantity, they’re really not trying to make a mountain of assets simply because “MOAR IS BETTER”.

7. Jimmy says:

Sounds like an awesome game. Chivalry with some, but not all, of the depth of Mount & Blade; and all of that in a beautiful game engine with a more firm commitment to a actual period and an actual place, with no dragons, magic, or any of that rubbish that has been done to death already. Should all go well with the private investor it will hopefully have a successful development and release in 2015. Then it is a matter of waiting, a long time, to see how it is coming together.

As marblecake was indicating earlier, it is going to sell primarily on consoles, as that is what most people use for gaming. So I wonder how they are going to do combat for the mouse and keyboard? Particularly when they say that time will slow mid-combat in order to choose which button to smash on the controller. Nevertheless, it looks like they have a solid development crew, and I admire the commitment to 1st person perspective.

8. Banjo-Tuesday says:

Dragons be damned! First chance I get, I’m going to turn it into a real videogame by adding ponies, friendly little pastel-coloured ones.