Frog Fractions 2′s Kickstarter Exists, Is Utterly Insane

By Nathan Grayson on March 11th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

...

It is probably an exaggeration to say that Frog Fractions is the most important game of our time, which is why I’m not saying that. But goodness, it was certainly one of a kind – an Olympic-caliber swan dive into a maelstrom of churning madness. To say anything more would be to spoil it for those who haven’t peeled past its faux-”edutainment” surface layer, but I can’t recommend it enough. It’s free, and you’ll laugh for a solid hour, sometimes sincerely and other times in bewilderment at just how incredibly far creator Jim Crawford took a really dumb joke. Which brings us to Frog Fractions 2. He wants to take the joke even farther. Much, much farther, to a point that makes the original game look positively tame by comparison. Kickstarter farther. Kickstfarther. Brilliantly unhinged video below.

Hmmmmmm. Some, uh, strange stuff happened in that video – and I don’t just mean the overtly oddball bits. Maybe it’s worth another viewing or two? For clues of some sort? Hmmmmm.

Yeah, Frog Fractions 2′s Kickstarter is probably already a game in itself. But that’s only the beginning. Frog Fractions 2 – in whatever downright insane form it takes – won’t even be called Frog Fractions 2. Crawford explained:

“It will not be called ‘Frog Fractions 2.’ It will probably be called something like ‘Lost Kingdom: Reckoning,’ by Fork Bomb LLC or ‘Turbo Finance 2015′ by Vespenta Holdings. Does that Russian flight sim on Desura look suspicious to you? Better play it just to make sure! Or maybe it’ll be a plugin for Bonzi Buddy and you’ll discover it when your grandpa asks you to make his email go faster. Wait, are you playing Frog Fractions 2 right now?”

“Additional spoiler-free details: it will be considerably larger in scope than Frog Fractions, containing multiple levels of secrets that will take you many play sessions to discover. As such, it will be a downloadable title and will cost money.”

But… but what about backers? Well, once enough people have turned the Internet upside-down on this wild scavenger hunt and the truth behind Frog Fractions 2 has gone public, all backers will immediately receive download codes. Oh, and if you figure out the secret before The Jig Is Up, you can email Crawford and he’ll send you a code on the spot.

So the game(s) within a game births an ARG within an ARG within a game within a… my brain hurts. This is madness, and Crawford needs $60,000 to make it happen. Normally I’d say a thousand times no to a Kickstarter this seemingly unreliable, but a) I have to applaud wackiness on this level and b) Crawford might be mad, but he’s also reliable. He’s delivered on multiple projects – many of them free – so I don’t imagine he’ll cut and run here. Put another way: I dearly hope highway robbery is not Frog Fractions 2.

But one of Frog Fractions’ greatest assets is that it was an out-of-nowhere surprise. So will the sequel be any good if – even only on some abstract level, thanks to this Kickstarter – we know it’s coming? Crawford’s aware of that potential pratfall, but he’s pressing on nonetheless.

“Inevitably, some of you will be disappointed, just like some people came away from Frog Fractions feeling like I wasted their time,” he concluded. “All I can do is promise you that I will do my damnedest to take you on a ride that is more entertaining, more mysterious, and more fundamentally surprising than Frog Fractions was.”

We can only hope.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Tei says:

Computers can’t handle fractions, they are too strong. A number like 1/3 can’t be stored inside a digital computer.
    So Frog Fraction 2 is doomed from the start.

Also, why Frog Fraction 2 and not Frog Fraction 1/2?

• gschmidl says:

MAYBE THAT IS THE JIG!

• Devan says:

Of course digital computers can store fractions. In fact, you just proved it by typing one of the possible representations of a fraction in that comment. I think you mean that not all fractions can be stored in a 32-bit floating point representation without truncation, but there are many that can. Aside from that, they can always be stored as two integers.

Maybe you’re trolling me, Tei. In which case good job :P

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Computers work by bitmipulations of pixomobs. Whoever heard of a fractional bit? Science has yet to even conclusively prove that there is such a thing as a fraction. If there are fractions, why are there still monkeys? Eh? Eh? Riddle me that, young feller-me-lad!

You, sir, are the most audacious of loons. Kindly cease howling at the moon and return to whichever asylum is currently missing an inmate.

• SuddenSight says:

• Faxmachinen says:

“Aside from that, they can always be stored as two integers.”

False. An integer in a computer science context represents a finite subset of a mathematical integer.

“My favorite number that cannot be stored in IEEE floating point is 1/10. Isn’t that silly? But true.”

False. 1/10 can be stored in any of the decimal IEEE floating point formats.

</pedantry>

2. grundus says:

0451, got it.

• AbigailBuccaneer says:

Thank you for this link! I stumbled across the code in Bioshock Infinite earlier today and recalled its appearance in Deus Ex – but I didn’t realise what a meme it had become.

3. Spoon Of Doom says:

Meh, I never got what the fuzz was about. Also, I don’t think we need yet ANOTHER oversimplified game consisting of a single screen teaching kids about fractions. Seriously, how many butterflies can you eat before the concept gets boring? And I’m not even going into the imbalanced upgrade prices.

4. TheTingler says:

The only thing that’s holding me back from backing is that I don’t know if he can actually write updates for it, and receiving updates is a large part of the fun of Kickstarters. The other is the game – I don’t like the idea being told when a game’s out after other people on the internet have already found out about it.

I think the most fun thing to do would be to not back the game and so maintain all the surprise, which I don’t think Twinbeard intended.

5. Lobotomist says:

Awesome. I would pledge but I hate kickstarter and giving away money.
    Hope they get the money though !

6. trjp says:

Surely this shouldn’t actually be a Kickstarter – it should only appear to be a Kickstarter which, when you attempt to back it, instead transpires to be a way of ordering wholesale, self-warming toaster pastries???

Much as with Groundhog Day, the creator of which having threatened to announce the sequel only to get people into the cinema and thence show them the first film again.

In many ways I cannot see how they can better FF tho – it’s not just it’s surprise value but that fact it’s the greatest thing ever done.

7. Taidan says:

The trailer is pretty much a Prince of Darkness tribute. I wonder if… Wait…

8. Keyrock says:

What the fuck did I just watch?

9. kimberlyrkuykendall says:

my best friend’s sister-in-law makes DOLLAR 60 every hour on the laptop . She has been out of a job for 7 months but last month her pay check was DOLLAR 20579 just working on the laptop for a few hours. go to the website………. http://WWW.Worktin.ℭom

10. Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

Alright, on it!
    So, the blackboard at the end shows an HTTP session for the host twinbread.com (a reference to the twin beard Kickstarter pledge).
    That site has a piece of Brain Fuck code in its source code.
    Running that through a Brain Fuck compiler will print the following:
    __ .__ ___. .___

>> TER LOCATED AT BRAINFUCK.TK. LET $$
    >> IT BE KNOWN THAT THIS PARTICULAR $$
    >> INTERPRETER HAS SEVERAL KNOWN $$
    >> ISSUES RUNNING THE ONYX BF CODE- $$
    >> BASE AND IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED. $$
    >> THANK YOU. -MGMT $$
    Giving it 0451 as input will print “3 0x1C” both in Beef, BF and the URL mentioned in the text. I’m stuck. Anyone else? Maybe something about the image linked in the VCARD at http://twinbread.com/about.html ?

Comment on this story