Lemma Follows In The Footsteps Of Bastion, Mirror’s Edge

By Nathan Grayson on March 25th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

Ah, the butt slide: gaming's most seemingly inefficient, not particularly flattering 'stylish' maneuver.

As a semi-longtime games journo (and hobbyist coal miner), I’ve seen my fair share of diamonds in the rough. Some eventually go the distance and gleam like a million smiling suns, while others… well, they don’t fare so well. And yet, even after losing countless hopefuls (and also canaries), I’m not ready to give up hope on promising upstarts like Lemma. The rune-encrusted run-leaper has evolved significantly since Adam first highlighted it, combining the path-producing footfall’s of something like Bastion with Mirror’s Edge‘s feather-like grace and, er, color scheme. It still looks a little janky, but I’m ready to place two of my crossed fingers before its altar. New trailer below.

It really is quite the concept. Basically, each of your parkour movesĀ creates your environment. The goal? Creative player expression through blinding forward motion.

“You can modify the environment in Lemma through several different systems that work together. The first allows you to extend an existing wall or platform by running off the edge of it. Keep running as if the wall does not end, and the game fills in the gap for you.”

“Every voxel is fully physics-enabled. These aren’t Minecraft voxels where you can knock out the base of a tree and the upper branches just float in the air. Some levels require you to strategically destroy supports holding up sections of the level.”

So it’s a building game of sorts, except not quite as open and instead of navigating menus you just… run. There’s something kinda poetic about that, I think. We are the steps we take and oh god everything I touch turns to blocks noooooo my only child whyyyyy. Simply beautiful.

Lemma is currently on Kickstarter, and it’s not doing too shabby, all told. It’s already made nearly $3,000 of its $10,000 goal, and it still has a few weeks left on the clock. Assuming the Internet gives this one its dollar-shaped seal of approval, it’ll be out at the end of 2014. What do you think of this diamond? Is it worth its weight in nickels and dimes?*

*That would actually be an incredibly cheap diamond. Welp, time to turn in my license to metaphor.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Gap Gen says:

If the protagonist isn’t called Anna I’ma start flipping tables.

2. The Sombrero Kid says:

I up’d this on Greenlight, If they pull off the gameplay it will be immense.

3. Alien426 says:

He should have conveyed that piece of information in the Kickstarter video. Until I read that, I wondered how the game would work. “So you just build stuff / stuff builds itself where you want to go? Where’s the challenge?”

4. Untas7 says:

Oh god he’s got those horrible foot-fitting sock shoe things. I hate those so much.

Still, I’ll be keeping an eye on the game, it looks perddy neat so far, and we DO need more Mirror’s Edge in our lives.

5. LionsPhil says:

I’m not really seeing where you’re getting Bastion from, but looks potentially neat anyway.

• Gap Gen says:

You can try Steam but it’s also on GOG if you want DRM free.

(Yes I know)

• povu says:

Probably the idea of blocks appearing under your feet as you travel. It’s a bit of a stretch.

When I hear people doing something inspired by Bastion I immediately think of narration instead.

6. Krag says:

This makes me think… are you going to review Cloudbuilt?
    I’d been waiting for it ever since I saw an article on RPS and bought it on release, it’s FANTASTIC!

• particlese says:

Oh, man, I completely forgot about that one! Glad to hear it’s FANTASTIC, too. I’ll have to check it out this evening.

7. AngelTear says:

I don’t know. Part of the fascination of Parkour is in reading the environment and finding an elegant way to negotiate it, but it’ll be hard to read the environment if it’s not actually there yet.

8. particlese says:

I was about to make a dumb comment about how much I enjoyed the live-action bits of that video (i.e. muchly), but I went and read the Kickstarter page instead. O_O WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT

More specifically, all the questions he asks himself near the end of the page have answers I like very much. And an MIT-licensed open source engine? Really?! I can theoretically make a parkour game without starting from scratch? I love you. I’ll try the demo before I throw money at it, but man…

Thanks for the article, Nathan! Although shame on you for not screaming “omg geo-god yesssssssss” with regard to those physicsed voxels. Better turn in your whole game journo license; not just the metaphorical bit. Tsk, tsk.

9. C0llic says:

But where are the robots?

Sorry, wrong game :D

10. drkeiscool says:

Oh my goodness.

I haven’t heard anything about this game in almost two years; I thought it fell off the face of the earth. Good to see it’s still being made.

11. Urthman says:

Too bad they couldn’t afford to license the Iceman IP from Marvel.

Comment on this story