Mass Effect Reborn Mod Jumps Into Homeworld 2

By Alice O'Connor on April 15th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Something about favourite mods on the Citadel. Get it? Right? Guys?

At the end of Mass Effect 3, thousands of ships from all across known space come together to liberate Earth and smash the Reapers. Then a pretty cutscene plays, and we passively watch the ensuing cool space battle. But oh, what if you gathered and commanded the fleet, and they were following your strategy? What if the slog across the Milky Way were a bit more Homeworld-ian? Turns out I didn’t write those sentences as idle musings, that there is actually a purpose to this post.

See, that’s basically the idea behind Mass Effect Reborn, a Homeworld 2 mod where you get to control that Alliance fleet. The first version is out now, if you fancy giving it a bash.

Mass Effect Reborn is made by Phoenix Interactive, the folks also behind Homeworld 2′s Stargate Space Conflict mod. Though this is version 1.0, Phoenix consider it to be a “pre-beta” release and plan to follow it up with the actual full version at the end of the month. They’re looking to include more speech and dialogue, better AI, research trees, and other odds and ends.

It does cheekily use a few of Mass Effect’s models and textures, so don’t be entirely surprised if EA Foxes the mod. Here, have a gander:

, , , , .

1. Premium User Badge Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I have to pity HW2 modders at this particular moment in time. There’s an HD remake on the way that might reinvigorate interest in HW2 and its mods, but I wouldn’t put money on mod compatibility.

• DatonKallandor says:

It really depends on how they’re doing the classic versions. Is the HW2 classic release going to be included in the Homeworld 2 Remastered version? If it is, the mods get the benefit of compatibility (with classic HW2) and extra PR (from the Remastered version).

• Premium User Badge DarkLiberator says:

Gearbox says there’s two versions, there’s the remastered version with upped textures, sounds and stuff, and then there’s the classic classic version with no changes besides modern OS compatibility. Sounds like they’re doing it right.

2. Walsh says:

How long until this is Fox’d?

3. Premium User Badge Cinek says:

Mass Effect Reborn is made by Phoenix Interactive, the folks also behind Homeworld 2′s Stargate Space Conflict mod.” – A sign that you won’t see this mod completed. Ever.

4. SuicideKing says:

The Reapers didn’t all gather around the Sun and make it go supernova? Shame.

• peterako1989 says:

when was that part? maybe in a parallel universe where they are called shivans.

• dE says:

They couldn’t decide on a color.

• Tiax says:

Is that a reference to Thief of Time?

• dE says:

More a jab at the color coded ending of ME3. Plot-twist: The reapers only see in monochrome, hence why they had to employ the help of others to decide.

Thief of Time is awesome though.

5. adeptacheese says:

oh so its a mod based on a cut scene from another game ok got it

6. gritz says:

I’ve always thought it was a shame that the Mass Effect universe is limited to the Mass Effect games. It has so much potential for rts, 4x, space trading and so many other types of games beyond just RPG-Lite Cover Shooter.

An FTL-like ship (and crew) management + trading game set in that universe would be cool as heck.

• Premium User Badge c-Row says:

I still hope for a XCOM style squad based strategy game. They got most of the races, classes and special abilities pinned down already, so what are they waiting for?

• Geebs says:

I would like a game set in the Mass Effect universe in the style of Mass Effect 1. Shame Bioware doesn’t know how to make one.

7. Cipscis says:

At 0:29, is that the full Moon with the Sun nearly directly behind it? That’s not how lunar phases work…

8. Lord_Mordja says:

I played it some, a couple of days ago. The least fun I’ve had with Homeworld.

The models and fancy new shaders are nice, but the gameplay is dull, dull dull.

While I’m not a Mass Effect fan, I’d been looking forward to this for a while because I love Homeworld 2 and I love mods, but ugh.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I didn’t even realise it was possible to have non-fun with Homeworld…

• DatonKallandor says:

That’s a shame because whoever came up with the Mass Effect Space Ship Backstory clearly played a lot of RTS games. The whole Kinetic Shields vs lots of small guns vs a few big guns vs shield-breaking torpedoes, strikecraft/carriers/battleships interaction and the stealth/overheating mechanics they described would make for a fantastic game if properly balanced and implemented.

• adeptacheese says:

its really obvious that this is going to be bad

9. 69ingRainbowDash says:

Where is the mod that lets me defeat the reapers without a shitty ending of me not being able to play at the ending?

10. jangove says:

Am I right that it is not possible to acquire Homeworld/2 if you do not have the disks still?

In other news, I am currently so angry at Saitek I could actually harm someone. And I can’t even pretend that I won’t give them my business in the future. Fuckers.