A Crying Shame: Crysis, Crysis 2 Multi Shutting Down

By Nathan Grayson on April 15th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

BLEEP BLOOP I AM HERE TO TAKE YOUR MULTIPLAYER SERVERS AWAY

GameSpy giveth, and – years later – it shutteth down due to the cruleth realities of modern busineth practices and, in doing so, taketh away. The list of games affected by said untimely (but also kinda timely) demise is long and prone to billowing ominously in the wind, and we still don’t know what exactly will happen to a number of those trapped in its server purgatory. Sometimes, though, no news is good news. Case in point: it turns out that Crysis and Crysis 2 won’t be coming back online after GameSpy goes dark.

Crytek made the announcement in a forum post:

“As of May 31 this year, the multiplayer modes in Crysis and Crysis 2 for PC will no longer be playable. The conclusion of online multiplayer support comes as a result of GameSpy Technology shutting down all their hosting services. GameSpy have been providing multiplayer functionality for Crysis and Crysis 2 since they launched. The single-player campaigns in both games are unaffected by this transition, and the multiplayer mode in the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Crysis 2 remain playable.”

“We’d like to thank everyone who has taken up arms in Crysis and Crysis 2′s multiplayer modes in the last few years, and apologize to the small but dedicated community of PC players who are still actively competing against one another.”

EA stablemates Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, and Battlefield Bad Company 2 will be transitioning to another service in May, so it’s a bit of a shame to hear that the older Crysis games won’t be doing the same. It’s also rather upsetting that EA and Crytek won’t release the tools to let players run their own servers, but considering the source I’m not terribly surprised.

To be honest, though, I haven’t played either game in ages – especially not online. Is anyone here part of these games’ online community? Were they worth enabling Maximum Literacy (and Minimal Dedication to Maintaining Strong Family Ties) to write home about?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. RedViv says:

To say that this is a bit shite for the Mechwarrior mod would be understating it. Hmm…

• SanguineAngel says:

That was my first thought when I heard the news last week.

• frightlever says:

Perhaps a lesson to be learned for people creating multi-player mods in proprietary engines.

• Trithne says:

That was where I went when Nathan started saying he hadn’t played it in a while: This is hell on MWLL.

• Cinek says:

I went to MWLL forums after the announcement but it seems like noone there even noticed it. No clue what’s up or how MWLL will handle it.

In either case it’d be a shame to loose it – MWLL was one of the most ambitious and fun to play mods ever made in the history of modding scene.

• DatonKallandor says:

MWLL was killed by PGI because it was making MWO look bad anyway. If that hadn’t happened this would be incredibly bad news. As it stands it’s only bad news.

• LionsPhil says:

MWO didn’t need any help looking bad.

Well, no, “look” is poor phrasing. Good art and feel was about the only thing it had going for it. MWO didn’t need any help being bad.

2. secuda says:

The highlight was to mess with the SP campaign anyway.

3. karthink says:

I wouldn’t say I was part of the community, but I load up Crysis 2 often for a quick twenty minutes of online shootybang. I usually end up on a Russian server. Don’t much care that it’s shutting down, because the lag was bad enough that I would rubber band all around the map. I’ve been shot after turning a corner and had obvious kills not register.

Also, I would get headshot just enough times that I couldn’t be sure if there were aimbots in play. Some of these kids have unbelievable reflexes.

I played Crysis 2 online mostly to kick cars into people.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Well there’s good news! You can still launch cars into people in Half Life 2 Deathmatch, though you can’t use your feet to do so.

4. DodgyG33za says:

Ultimately I think the path EA want to go with the BF franchise is a pay per month subscription model. They are just softening up the market with ‘premium accounts’ and no modded servers.

This is why I won’t be buying a multi-player game that doesn’t allow ISPs to run servers again.

I wish life wasn’t proving “things were much better in my day” so true.

5. Artfunkel says:

Crysis 2 wasn’t half bad online. I don’t think it ever had many players though.

• Cinek says:

You ever bought it? There were crowds after the release and even few months later. I don’t know how it looked like after Crisis 3 release though. C2 and C3 were so similar in multiplayer that IMHO there was no point to play C2 if you owned C3.

• Artfunkel says:

Interesting, I was told otherwise by one of the devs. Perhaps that was just a bit of self-deprecation.

I bought it in a Steam sale late last year and it had a decent number of players, helped by the sale no doubt, but it was nothing to shout about.

• TechnicalBen says:

Consumer experience compared to expected investors return, do not always match up. One can be satisfied, the other not. Rarely do both meet when it’s only money involved, instead it needs a developer who does it because they love games and wish to make money, not just the latter.

6. cylentstorm says:

Multiplayer? People actually played that? Hmm. Well, I wouldn’t worry–I’m sure that a dedicated few will find a solution to this most recent of EA’s fumblings. I’ve seen it happen with far less popular games, so why not?

• Baines says:

Considering the Battlefield games are getting a post-GameSpy solution, it could very well be a Crytek fumbling instead of an EA fumbling.

As for industrious fans, how heavily do the Crysis games use GameSpy? Do they just use it as a master server list, or do they use more of its features like authentication? The less that they rely on GameSpy, the easier it will be fore players to work around.

7. Fitzmogwai says:

Bet the Battlefield games are transitioning to GFWL.

8. MeestaNob says:

The reason so many of these games have dead multiplayer communities is BECAUSE of gamespy.

9. Cytrom says:

Seeing this great support, I’ll be sure to buy their next game.

10. NathanMates says:

RPS- you’ve got an amazing position as a major gaming news site. You can submit a set of questions to GLU Mobile, and their answers (or lack of answers) will put them on the spot. Basically, instead of just republishing press releases, actually be journalists and ask questions too. You could ask questions like:

- What did GLU Mobile aim to get from buying Gamespy?
    - Has it been a benefit for the company?
    - Do you think the various cancellations of service (this, and earlier ones) will benefit end users?
    - Would they consider open sourcing pieces so that tech savvy communities could keep things going?
    - Why should I ever consider buying a game from GLU Mobile after all this?

Disclaimer: I’m still patching and supporting Battlezone II in my spare time, on my own dime. We were one of the earliest 3rd party users of the Gamespy SDK, and had a small (~200 active players per week) when GLU Mobile yanked support for BZ2 on 2012/10/08. I had to do an emergency rewrite and patch release to change over to RakNet for matchmaking, NAT Negotiation, etc. Thus, I’m not disinterested in the answers.

11. Danda says:

I’ve never played the Crysis 2 multiplayer. A stupid glitch in the “MyCrysis” website (which persists to this day) prevented me from even trying. I contacted them but they never replied, so I can only assume that they never wanted anyone to play in the first place.

12. SquareWheel says:

I could never get the damn online to work through Gamespy anyway.

13. Film11 says:

Would like to know if GameRanger will pick them up. Developer said it should be possible but couldn’t say anything more concrete than that sadly.

14. The Random One says:

That’s sad. I only played the MP when, shortly before the release, a single level (then a second one) was released as a demo for the X360, shortly before Crysis 2 was launched. I liked it a lot – it seemed that by starting with Call of Duty and going towards Deus Ex: Human Resources, they somehow ended up at Quake.

Comment on this story