Survarium Entering Open Beta… For One Day

By Nathan Grayson on April 23rd, 2014 at 10:00 am.

We can be stalkers, just for one day

Do you want post-apocalyptic Russian survival shooting to fill the irradiated void left behind by STALKER 2’s cancellation? Well, the handsomely molded ashes of GSC Game World, aka Vostok Games, have something in store for you, even if it doesn’t exactly play like STALKER just yet. Survarium is currently in closed beta, but it’s going fully, completely open for, er, 24 hours this Friday. After that it will burrow back into the sooty loam of game development until the end of (nuclear) winter. Or until the start of the real open beta. Whichever comes first.

Joining the temporary open beta will be as simple as hitting up Survarium’s website:

“On April 25, 2014 Vostok Games announces ‘Doors Open Day.’ For 24 hours on that day, absolutely anyone is welcome to enter www.survarium.com, download the current beta version of the game and try it out in action. For the moment the game features only the team-based play mode (PvP). Once the Doors Open Day is over, the game will revert back to the closed beta state as we continue preparing the game for the OBT.”

If you want to get an idea of what you’re in for, Jim’s hands-on impressions of a very recent build would probably be a good starting point. He came away encouraged and hopeful, though he noted that right now Survarium is more competent, spellbindingly gorgeous multiplayer shooter than it is long-awaited STALKER successor.

So maybe keep your expectations in check for the time being. Vostok’s crunching away on something far less safe and sanitary, but this one’s still pretty early in the grand scheme of things. All that said, who’s gonna have a go at it on Friday?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Dagonath says:

Really? On Dark Souls 2 PC launch day?

• feverberries says:

i came here to say the same thing. great. guess i’ll pass then.

• Oktober Storm says:

Yeah, that was a little dumb. I’ll mail them and ask that they have another beta soon, and so should everybody. I’d really love to try this, but there’s no chance I’m not playing DS2 exactly on launch.

• derbefrier says:

Yeah bad timing. I am interested in this game but not on the same day Dark Souls 2 launches. I also woke up to a wildstar beta invite on the same weekend I plan on doing nothing but playing darksouls. Anyways darkssouls darksouls darksouls!!!!!

• SkittleDiddler says:

You know, you could always wait another day and play Dark Souls 2 later. Geez.

2. natendi says:

Friday night sorted! Pretty hopeful for Survarium, don’t know if it could replace Stalker for me but looks like it is going to be pretty atmospheric.

• DarkFenix says:

Except for the fact that they’ve included the one feature guaranteed to completely destroy any sense of immersion or atmosphere: Other players.

• natendi says:

True, although I’m curious though how many players will be in PvP. If it’s quite small and the maps large it might be interesting.

Don Reba says:

RPS proves even more ambitious than Putin with its gift of Kiev to Russia! Good job!

4. skyturnedred says:

Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a way to download the beta in advance. Might prove problematic for some people.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Yeah, was just about to say.

That sucks.

• Iainn says:

Does anybody know what the client download size will be? Not being able to pre-download it is very annoying for those of us with slow internet connections.

• Distec says:

I don’t understand this either. I’ve been invited to so many weekend open betas and it’s always the same:

1.) Cool! Open beta! Can’t wait to get off work and try it out.
      2.) Nice launcher. Let’s get this shit kickstarted.
      3.) Jesus, how many gigabytes?
      4.) GOD DAMN HOW MANY HOURS?!?!?!
      (Wait the day and then overnight)
      5.) Meh. Screw it. Gonna play some Payday.

I realize betas are not for my entertainment and (supposedly) meant for stress testing and other stuff. But I’m not going going to tie up my connection all day so I can log in for a few hours before the damn thing ends.

5. Mittens89 says:

Does anybody reeeally want this? Secretly we all want Stalker 2 instead. Look within yourselves, you know it’s true.

• Atrocious says:

When I look within myself, I just see a monolith.

• Terragot says:

I will take anything STALKER related and force myself to love it.

• qrter says:

Ofcourse it’s true. Whenever I’ve played any of the STALKER games, I’ve never thought “this game really needs a multiplayer element”.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Agreed. But like those above me I will take absolutely anything that looks even remotely like STALKER – I’ll at least give it a chance. I love SOC dearly, it’s one of my favourites of all time, but there’s only so many times I can replay it in a short time-frame before I need to give it a break. Even though saying that breaks my heart.

• Mittens89 says:

I just dont understand why they didn’t go for Stalker 2. They have seemingly ignored the fanbase and are instead giving us a game that no one asked for.

Stalker 2 would be massively hyped and an almost guaranteed financial success. It would be a contender for GOTY before even being released, provided it stuck to the original concepts. Instead we get this MMO thing that no one wants and as a result, probably won’t play. Why play this when DayZ and Rust have already swallowed up the playerbase for this particular genre? Very risky strategy. I cant see it being a success.

Final thought; reading about this game makes me want to play Stalker. It reminds me of Stalker, so therefore I now want to play Stalker. Not Survarium.

• SIDD says:

“I just dont understand why they didn’t go for Stalker 2. ” – most likely because they don’t own the rights to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. which still resides with the founder of GSC

• Kaeoschassis says:

@SIDD – I really should have known. Urgh.

Don Reba says:

GSC’s owner never relinquished the IP, nor did he give any reasons when he canned STALKER 2.

Stellar Duck says:

@SIDD

Sure, but they could have made a STALKER 2 in anything but name.

It’s not like GSC owns The Zone or Chernobyl in general.

• Zenicetus says:

They could have called it something else and everyone would still think of it as Stalker 2, if it was done right.

Like so many other recent games, they’ve taken the shortcut of just building an environment and throwing players into it, as a substitute for AI and a scripted storyline or sandbox. Good AI programmers and writers must be hard to find. Maybe they’ve all been snapped up by the AAA studios?

I’ll pass on this one. I did my MP time in WoW and I have no interest in inhabiting a world, however interesting, with other players.

• DatonKallandor says:

I did, but it was always “I wish this game had co-op”. STALKER PvP? Get out of here stalker. STALKER always online RPG F2P progression bullshit? Get out of here stalker.

6. altum videtur says:

These aren’t the stalkers you’re looking for.

7. SIDD says:

So a day of “open beta” of Survarium the day before S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost Alpha is supposed to be publicly released?
    Someone is going to get his S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fix this weekend :)

8. Myrdinn says:

I will wait for a single-player STALKEResque experience, thanks.

9. The Random One says:

Open and shut beta.

fupjack says:

I think if they could make a straight follow-up to Stalker, they would. And they probably will, if they can get enough revenue from the initial sales of this game. It’s hard to second-guess the business logic other to shrug and say “I want it to work.”

If a Stalker-like PvP game is the hurdle to getting a new Stalker-like single-player game… that’s a problem I can live with. In fact, it’ll probably be the most enjoyable way to do it.

11. Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

Why is no one banging on about pricing at the free-to-play game shop, incidentally?

12. badirontree says:

Its the 28th anniversary of Chernobyl that’s why :D

13. SkittleDiddler says:

Just got done testing the open beta out, and I was bored as fuck. PVP only with players from the other side of the world, resulting in massive lag. Only three types of guns to choose from. One tired arena-type map. I hope this isn’t the only experience those poor closed testers have been dealing with for so long.

Played for 20 minutes and uninstalled. Not sure what I was expecting, but there it is.