Snow Joke: Far Cry 4 Goes Mountain High In November

By Alec Meer on May 15th, 2014 at 5:14 pm.

I can no longer separate actual announcements from speculation, gossip and fever dreams, so while I *think* we’ve already heard a bunch of stuff about Far Cry 4 and how it’ll have a snow-bound setting, for the sake of ease I’m going to pretend this is the first thing we’ve ever written about it.

Far Cry 4 is out this Winter, it is indeed set in the Himalayas and it’s got a harpoon gun in it.

Not much else is being revealed until E3, but Ubi Montreal are at the helm again (with assorted other Ubi offshots contributing), there’s the inevitable pre-order DLC (starring FC3′s Hurk) and it’s about taking down a despotic king.

In other, more official words: “In Far Cry 4, players find themselves in Kyrat, a breathtaking, perilous and wild region of the Himalayas struggling under the regime of a despotic self-appointed king. Using a vast array of weapons, vehicles, and animals, players will write their own story across an exotic open-world landscape.”

Far Cryrim, then? We shall see. I really hope the more perilous setting means a heightened focus on survival, but as FC3′s more all-out action was the series’ most commercially successful moment, I kinda doubt it.

Excited though – FC3 was fascinating and compelling despite its many annoyances.

November 21 is the Euro street date for this.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. BarryAllen says:

Blood Dragon 2 when

• aksen says:

oh my, yes please. i enjoyed fc3, but blood dragon was brilliant. though that could mostly be because of the soundtrack.

• Syra says:

I duno blood dragon had a great hook gimmick but it was fun for all of an hour… The idea of blood dragon was superior to the execution by far.

• Einhaender says:

Yeah, I got totally hyped by the vids and such but the execution and gameplay let me quite down.

It was fun for a while and I guess that’s what they wanted to achieve.

• madeofsquares says:

It was arguably as long as it needed to be before the joke got too old. Get the impression they understood that too.
            Not sure it’d stretch to a full game.

• Universal Quitter says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I even had a twinge of doubt, right before I finalized the purchase.

“Are you REALLY sure this will be as fun as you’re thinking?”

That first hour, though…

2. RedViv says:

December the 12th it is, then!

3. Morlock says:

Can’t wait to use a vast array of animals.

4. Doomsayer says:

Is it going to have the same writer as Far Cry 3?

• Spider Jerusalem says:

dear sweet mercy i hope not.

• Geebs says:

They’ll say it isn’t the same guy and then it will turn out it was him all along, and he’ll be all like “I’m fooling you! You were fooled by me, because I am the best writer!”

*shudder*

• Skeletor68 says:

+1 internets for this!

I hope they stay away from the ‘lets criticise games by using some elements from bad games’ and keep things nice and diegetic like Far Cry 2. If the map isn’t in your hands I’m out!

• Sinomatic says:

That ‘story’ was embarassing (and the reasoning given by the writer in the RPS interview on it was even worse).

• simulant says:

Far Cry 3, while pretty to look at, was offensively stupid to a level rarely reached in video games.
          I’m done with that franchise.

• Blackcompany says:

It took two things for me to appreciate Far Cry 3:

First was a mod to remove all of the level up/unlock crap. Including making all weapons available in shops right from the get go. This was not the game for this crap (any more than Blacklist is) and it harmed the overall premise to a terrible degree. On one hand, people need you to help them. On the other…only if you buy their stuff, which they will peddle out to after ever increasing amounts of service to them. Sort of contradictory.

The other requirement, was a shift in perspective in how I looked at the game’s (awful – and I am pretty sure objectively so) narrative. The only way I could handle it, was to think of it as Jason Brody’s dream. It goes like so:

Entitled rich white kid, who is of no practical value to any one person or society in any meaningful way and who deep down knows this, goes looking for adventure. And he he finds it. Nice, safe ‘adventure’ with its guides and safety harnesses and instructors and backup chutes. And he has fun. Sort of.

But deep down he starts feeling guilty. Maybe he sees, Buddha like, how the islanders live as he parties it up. Maybe its buried/repressed guilt, Freud style. And as he falls asleep one night, he does so craving adventure – a real, dangerous one that will try him, place him at risk and make him into a hero people will cherish and value, while also making him tough-guy hard in the process.

Basically, he wants to become the Hero Archtype, as interpreted by a rich white kid from the video game generation. He’s hard of pirates in the news, kidnapping rich kids/people/cargo in exotic places. So he dreams that.

But even still there are obstacles to his becoming a Hero. Grant for one. Army trained. Better prepared. Naturally, Grant would be the hero; Jason is too soft, too ill prepared. He even lacks a catalyst to drive him to the extremes necessary to be a violent hero.

So what does his dreaming brain do? It kills Grant. Nice. Efficient. Gets the most qualified person out of the way and provides that push over the edge, that catalyst, Jason needs to turn to violence as a solution to his predicament. Of course, there are other barriers, too. He needs help; a guide. Enter Dennis. He needs appreciation, to be loved and seen as a rescuer. So his friends must suffer horribly at the hands of his captors, in order to better appreciation their liberation – and we all know how THAT was achieved.

There are also other clues this is a dream. The tattoos granting Jason powers he would never posses. A stand in Grant’s training. The collection of animals on the island – an assembly of all the most dangerous creatures known to man, regardless of their natural habitat and the numbers in which they might really exist. Even the Cassowary, whose been known to have killed, what, one person in the entirety of its existence? All things considered, the game offers multiple clues that you are playing through the power trip dream of a spoiled white rich kid raised in trust money, video games and Cracked articles (nothing against Cracked, its funny) whose own mind has assembled this deadly adventure to satiate a craving for true heroism and hardassery.

Poor an excuse as it was for the narrative in FC 3, rationalizing it this way was literally the only way I could ever enjoy the game. I mean…consider the circumstances if this plot is real. And keep in mind, you are supposed to ENJOY playing through that scenario. That’s sort…messed up. And this is without consideration for the racist overtones of the story, mind.

• Geebs says:

That’s the problem though; having the game be somebody else’s dream/imaginary wish fulfilment removes all motivation to actually play the damn thing. In order for that sort of narrative-at-one-remove to work, the person whose dream you are playing needs to show some signs of developing as a result.

To add insult to injury, buying in to that bollocks means endorsing Yohalem’s huge and unwarranted ego.

• frymaster says:

To be fair, they did explicitly explain the weapon thing: a) The weapon merchants are foreigners, not islanders, and b) unlocking the towers isn’t to help the villagers, it’s to help the weapon merchants smuggle goods more easily

The main, offensively awful part of the plot was, imo, the ridiculous “choice” at the end – “escape with your friends, or kill them and stay.” Even if the narrative is supposed to be that the protagonist starts identifying with the islanders and finds himself alienated from his friends, that’s a bonkers non-choice. It would have been sufficient for it to be “stay or leave”, and maybe have a cutscene show the boat explode because of sabotage or similar.

The rest of the plot could have been saved.

• colw00t says:

I’ll just be really happy if they get Michael Mando back to do somebody because that was some quality voice acting.

• Shooop says:

If it does then I hope whoever let him take the position dies the same way Kenneth Pinyan did. There is no excuse to let that conceited hack ever taint another game/movie/paper ever again.

• Universal Quitter says:

I heard they got M Night Shyalaman to pen the story.

5. derbefrier says:

Sweet I quite enjoyed 3 and blood dragon. Let’s hope. Boss fights aren’t quick time events this time. Was really my biggest complaint with 3

6. Anthile says:

I thought the Himalaya thing was a joke. You really can’t tell with video games these days.

7. Keyrock says:

Eh, I’m not any more sold than I was previously. Why? Because we already found out about rideable elephants before, and that already sold me as much on the game as I can possibly be sold on it, because RIDEABLE ELEPHANTS!

8. Cvnk says:

I’m guessing you play an EXTREME rock climber who gets caught up in things while on a freeclimb adventure with your douchebag buddies.

• jonahcutter says:

Yeah, but that’s part of the built in meta-commentary writerly brilliance. You may not see the brilliance. But take the writer’s word for it, the brilliance is in there.

• SillyWizard says:

It would be neat if they have you play as a Gurkha, instead. Super interesting community of the world’s actually-deadliest combatants. Yes pls.

• maninahat says:

There is a reference to some villain who thinks he’s King of the Himalayas, so I am guessing they are going for a subversion of the previous game’s mightey whitey King of the natives crap. That sounds a little more like Far Cry 2 at least.

9. Mittens89 says:

Happy for more of the same really. Myself and my partner thoroughly enjoyed FC3, and im still quietly playing through Blood Dragon.

10. CyberPunkRock says:

Combine the graphics and FPS-mechanic of Far Cry 3 with a sandbox approach like Mount & Blade and it’s an instant buy. Never going to happen but I can still dream, right?

• Syra says:

If far cry 4 has a decent melee system shit will get REAL.

As for mountainblades I’m not compelled by the comparison beyond the potential mechanics of multiplayer melee combat in a pretty space.

• CyberPunkRock says:

What I love about M&B is the “create your own story” approach, which would be much better than the awful story from FC 3. Just give the game mechanics and let me decide what to do with them.

• Universal Quitter says:

Not sure why, but mountainblades made me laugh very much out loud.

11. Orija says:

I really hope they go for the Nepal/Tibet side rather than India. I don’t think I could stand Indian accents for 20 hours.

• Syra says:

Implying Nepalese accents don’t sound a great deal like North Indian accents, and Indian accents aren’t in any sense homogeneous.

Kinda offended by your comment there.

• SuicideKing says:

Ah well then, fuck you if you can’t.

(I mean seriously, you think everyone talks like the way they do in Hollywood films where they must have a heavy Indian accent so you know they’re Indian?)

• Universal Quitter says:

Hopefully, anyone that isn’t a named character will be speaking the local language, making accents a non-issue. Unlike with Far Cry 3, the Himalayas are a specific place on Earth, with known languages in that area.

But yeah, they’ll probably just be lazy and have everyone speak heavily-accented English.

12. aperson4321 says:

I so truly hope its Blood Dragon 2, the first was one of my favorite games of all time.

I have still not been able to finish Far Cry 3, The grafics and game play are good, but WHY does everything related to story, characters and world setting have to by so unberably retarded! And the game is so uber serious all the time it makes me fysically ill, I loved the clever humour in blood dragon and the unserious attitude it got.

Far Cry 3 makes me road kill as many civs I can without getting killed by the omnipotent game karma god (the game triggers a explosive kill-swith in your game caracters head after 3 civ kills within ca 30 sec).
    (it is hilarious to road kill those people waithing by the road side asking you to fix their car every-fucking-where in the game. (how is it no one on the damn island know how to fix their car and all of them expect the player to fix all #### the cars) (how do they afford all those damn cars if they can’t fix them before the player arrives).

I also after captuing a outpost kill all the allies that spawn to guard it, makes me get less angry about the story. (The game does not punish you shooting your allies on sight, and never mentions that you keep on killing 10 allies every 5 min).

I hope that if there is a Far Cry 4 then the caracters does not all suffer from permanent retard-cancer to the brain.

13. guygodbois00 says:

I predict snow with a lots of QTE.

14. Ross Angus says:

I’ve been secretly hoping the Far Cry series would be like the Aliens films: each one put in the hands of a different director, with a completely different tone. But perhaps the Ubification of all Ubisoft games will continue, so that it’s like Watchdogs and Asscreed.

15. Einhaender says:

Had no problem with (most of) the writing and/or the repititive gameplay thanks to the many ways I could engage the same tasks.

But there’s one single thing I hope they’ll bury forever: blackouts.
    Blackouts killed many importand scenes. Especially the last “boss fight”.

16. Bull0 says:

Sort of seems a bit “cynical tech reuse sequel” to me :/

17. Shooop says:

Worth a look as long as it isn’t tainted by the ceaseless bullshit of Jeffrey Yohalem.

The promo art is great for a few laughs because they honestly seem to think they can be taken seriously:

18. CookPassBabtridge says:

Side missions are to include:
    - Assist a wacky Sherpa in finding his special “ingredients” for making his “hiking juice”, which happen to be 10 feet away in his garden
    - Help a Buddhist Abbott find out if one of his monks is secretly gay and trying to escape himself through meditation, by walking 10 feet and overhearing a conversation where the monk mumbles something about thinking George Michael is ‘just lush’
    - Ride a skidoo down a mountainside in order to deliver ammunition to a goat, amazingly only 10 feet away after exploring half a hill side.
    - Find ancient “hidden” artifacts by following your radar. Every 5th one unlocks a monk’s robe which confers new torture QTE abilities.

/snark
    If they get rid of the dross and make a proper bloody open world game this time, this could be awesome. Colour me cynical however.

• karnie says:

Thank you, I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought FC3 was hugely overrated.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

My genuine view was that FC3 was 35% awesome and 65% shit. It was like they started with an incredible game and some brilliant ideas, but then had some kind of seizure a third of the way in. Some of the story missions were really good, with a sense of wide openness I loved from FC1 and the first Crysis / Warhead. The hunting and crafting was great, but over too quick. Taking out the bases and island-wide combat was great, but over too quick (IF you took out all the bases, due to the whole first island becoming friendly). The radio towers were great, but also contributed to breaking the emergent gameplay because the map was revealed. Though the assassination missions available from captured bases were fun and tense, only having two available mission types (I forget what the other one was) for any one base grew dull. So much more could have been made of them.

Then with all that done, it just called more attention to the half-assed “artefact hunting”, non-existent side missions, many ropey story missions, COD turret and QTE sections and the detestable main characters. It was the fact that it started so well, then went so utterly shit, that made me cross with it (British understatement)

• Michael Fogg says:

Hunt 6 mountain goats for their hides to craft special trousers with extra pockets for grenades.

FC3 was awesome, btw.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

They should set it in Australia. Kangaroo pouches can hold rpg rockets.
        On balance, not awesome: Just ok, though your fun level was highly dependent on the way / order in which you played its sections

• Goodtwist says:

Nimbly

19. Megakoresh says:

Day 1 DLC is also on the line. So not buyin’

20. ResonanceCascade says:

Harpoon my ass.

21. simontifik says:

Your girlfriend’s all like “Babe we need to talk”

And your like “Not now babe, can’t you see I’m murdering pirates”.

It’s like Point Break the video game… oh man someone kickstart that right now.

• CharlySpoons says:

“Am the only one that really enjoyed Far Cry 3′s cheesy story and ridiculous characters?”

No there was someone else, I think.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I couldn’t stand most of the characters and I rolled my eyes through most of the stories. But I still played the crap out of the game. Easily one of the best FPS campaigns in recent memory for pure gameplay.

• KenTWOu says:

Like the idea very much, don’t like its execution. They shot their own fееt several times.

• ZephyrSB says:

Vaas was the only character holding it together and that I gave a damn about. While the gameplay continued to be increadibly solid, by the time he left the picture, it had pretty much given everything it had to give. The second island was a total non-thing without any sort of vaguely interesting character to string me along.

22. SkittleDiddler says:

Aaaaand…the game is barely announced yet we’ve already got cries of racism and homophobia:

Jeebus H. Christ.

23. Freud says:

While I did enjoy sneaking around and taking over a few outposts, FC3 left me empty.

I spent the first three-four hours just hunting stuff for crafting because playing with limited slots for everything was a pain. So that made a terrible impression. Grind grind grind for the sake of grind.

Then the rest of the game was basically a first person version of Assassins Creed with maps filled with icons that had small tasks you had to complete. When the second island opened up I wasn’t excited. All I could think was that there were so many icons I had no desire to reach. No real freedom. No exploration. No immersion. The dark mood and nihilism of FC2 was replaced with a contrived and plastic version of it that felt fake the whole way.

I’m not sure I can put my finger on why FC2 worked and FC3 didn’t, but I remember FC2 vividly while I have forgotten most about FC3. I had such high hopes after all the positive reviews but I don’t think I’ll even buy FC4 since it’s bound to be more theme park grinding.

• Geebs says:

The Himalayas does have potential as a setting for a game more in the style of Far Cry 2. You know how in FC2, after the half way point, you can never drive anywhere because every thirty seconds you hear that “rrrrRRRMMmm” and get shunted off the road from behind? Well, this game would be saved if every single one of those trucks, without exception, went flying straight off a nearby cliff and smashed itself to pieces in the valley below, missing the player entirely.

24. NonCavemanDan says:

Great possibilities for this to be The Man Who Would Be King: The Game! (with Sean Connery’s head as day 1 DLC, of course)

25. Henke says:

Please have snowboards please have snowboards please have snowboards! :D

26. SuicideKing says:

Hmmm I’m guessing this is either Bhutan or Nepal, though Nepal would be more likely.

27. PopeRatzo says:

I hope the crazy guy with the mohawk and the definition of insanity is gonna be up there on Everest.

• The Random One says:

Oh man what if in the end you’re going to climb the Everest and then suddenly this huge bloodshot eye opens on the side of the mountain and it turns out that guy IS the Everest OMG MIND BLOWN

28. Strickebobo says:

Far Cryrim? Don’t you mean ‘Skyrim with guns’?

Comment on this story