What A Shock: Watch_Dogs Hampered By Uplay Troubles

By Nathan Grayson on May 28th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

This could be you! (Unless your game isn't working)

This is not a new story, but rather another chapter in one that’s gone on for far, far too many volumes. Rumor has it that George R.R. Martin decided to give up on finishing the Game of Thrones series after bearing witness to The Uplay Saga. The formula is woefully unchanging each and every time: big new release comes out, everyone is excited, Uplay takes a massive tumble and leaves a lot of people snarling at the gates. Watch_Dogs, somewhat predictably, is having early troubles of a similar sort.

After widespread complaints ranging from inability to log-in or download the game to something called an “unrecoverable error,” Ubisoft acknowledged the ongoing troubles on Twitter:

“We are experiencing issues with the authentication services. Players may experience long delays when trying to login in-game. More to come.”

As per usual, expect problems to clear up with time – both as Ubisoft irons out various kinks and demand dies down. Still though, it’s kind of incredible that Ubisoft’s proprietary service (that doesn’t really offer many benefits beyond letting us launch Ubisoft games) still can’t handle a big launch. It’s also somewhat comical that a game all about tech and hacking and cyber city robo-gentrification collapses under the nightmarish weight of basic online functionality.

Please, Ubisoft (and other game-makers to whom this happens; this isn’t a Ubi-only thing), get this in order. This whole Internet thing has been around for a little while now. I doubt Aiden Pearce has to deal with day-one start up issues. And I hate Aiden Pearce, so that doesn’t sit right with me at all.

, , .

1. Optimaximal says:

Alternative title:

Botch_Dogs

• BobbyDylan says:

Or Watch_Fail, in my case. This game is a Christmas sale for 2015. Maybe by then I’ll be allowed to buy the whole game.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Since Uplay doesn’t run like clockwork, I’d call this game Broken_Watch.

• phelix says:

I’d rather have a Scotch_Rocks

/gets coat

• pilouuuu says:

Watch_the_Bad_Dogs

Cinek says:

Oh irony – RPS website seems to be hampered too. Took me 3 attempts to load this page (had some weird error message on a white background from the server).

• GernauMorat says:

Did you get the text adventure?

Smashbox says:

Luckily you didn’t just pay $60 for this page.

• The Random One says:

Hell no! I paid ten bucks on Christmas sale for the Page Of The Year edition with the Kieron Gilian DLC included.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Aww for just 14.99 bucks more you could’ve got the ‘Enhanced Kieron Gollum Print-Your-Own TP Edition’. The moneys practically save themselves with that deal.

3. hjarg says:

How hard can a scale-out solution be? Rent extra servers from Amazon or Azure or where ever for the launch week and all your worries will go away…

JamesTheNumberless says:

Don’t underestimate the hubris of Ubisoft, they genuinely think they’re above using cloud services and can do it better themselves. They run their own servers in a way which ultimately will never be as flexible and which appears to have slightly lower overheads but actually costs more after you factor in all the extra people you have to employ to maintain it.

• Ansob says:

It’s not hard at all.

Thing is, it costs money. Not a huge amount of money, but money that they could nonetheless just not spend. People will grumble a bit that they can’t play in the first week or so, then after that the load will normalise and those servers won’t be needed.

This won’t really affect their bottom line, and so they’ll just keep on doing it. Why bother spending money on renting extra servers for a single week every time they do a big launch when they can just keep on getting away with scott-free with not doing so?

• Psymon says:

I was going to say something similar.
        Call me pessimistic, but all the decision makers care about is profit, and once you’ve bought the game, fuck you.

• SillyWizard says:

The alternative, however, is that a good number of people (like myself) refuse to buy games that come with a punch-to-the-face in the form of uPlay. I gave From Dust a shot (how bad could it be?) a couple of years after it came out, and it was still way too much of a headache to be worth the trouble.

How much less likely am I to buy a new game from them when every single time I hear about all of this nonsense, on top of the ass-pain I can expect to endure even after the launch-mess lessens?

All of the less.

• benkc says:

Yup. I was initially quite interested in this game, but as soon as I learned it would require uplay — no sale. Been burned that way before, not letting it happen again.

• BlueTemplar says:

That’s why getting a refund for a game should be easy.

• Optimaximal says:

Ubisoft likely already rent enough capacity from Azure, Amazon, Rackspace or one of the other providers – they’d be mental to do it themselves.

The simple fact is the server farms are designed to scale, but the problem is that scaling takes both time and is 99.9% automated – the systems add servers and resources as the demand increases, which is why a spike can catch it out – when a timer hits 00:00:00 for everyone in a time zone, they’re all connecting at once. The demand increases and the scaling tools commission new servers, but often doesn’t factor in the time taken for the operating system to load and load balancers to add available servers to their pools (it cannot really be aware of this).

These things are never as clear cut as it seems, although why Ubisoft don’t build these games with a proper offline system in place to counter issues is still beyond me.

• Leb says:

They do have proper offline capabilities. Throughout this entire debacle I’ve put 6 hours into watch dogs playing offline.

The issue is however that it requires the 1 time online activation, and with ubi servers down that isn’t possible for a lot of people.

My friends and I all stayed up late for the midnight launch and played immediately and had no issues activating. We can still play now, just lacking the multiplayer features we were looking forward to

• DanMan says:

So the real problem is not enough activation servers.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Maybe but I doubt that’s the whole story. They certainly need to maintain a central database of all activated users so they can match them in multiplayer and what not, that would be an obvious hard-to-manage bottleneck.

Wisq says:

Speaking as someone in the business: If you’ve got automated scaling that you can’t manually scale up ahead of time in preparation for a major spike, then you’re doing it wrong.

We learned this a long time ago when trying to use Amazon ELBs — they do automatically scale, but they can’t handle a sudden load, as you say. So we called up our rep and got them to pre-scale the ELBs ahead of time. And the only reason we had to do that was because they don’t offer tuning switches on the ELBs. If it had just been a question of “not enough servers”, we could’ve easily pre-scaled that ourselves.

It’s not like they’re new to this. “Scaling takes time to kick in” is not a valid excuse for a repeat event.

4. Blackcompany says:

I feel bad for people affected by this. I do. Its unfair and frankly, in my opinion, deserving of a class action suit. The prodcut works neither as intended or as advertised.

But too…why are people still preordering games? I really do not understand why people continue to preorder products from companies who consistently prove they cannot be trusted to deliver working products on release day.

Hopefully, this will be a wake up call. Perhaps every time these things happen, a few less gamers will preorder a game next time. A slow transition is better than nothing.

• Funso Banjo says:

This issue has nothing to do with pre-orders.

Pre-orders are a mugs game, as we know. But it’s really irrelevant on this occasion.

• Psymon says:

While certainly another fine excuse to not pre-order, this would have happened even if everyone had tried to buy the game the day after reading positive reviews that only had the embargo lifted at release.

• rcguitarist says:

Why does anybody preorder games in this day and age of digital downloads? Preorders on games existed back before digital downloads were around so that you could ensure that you got a copy of a game on launch day that would be shipped in a limited quantity to your local retailer. With digital download services, the quantity of copies is endless, so you can never not get a copy on launch date. So therefore preorders have no purpose anymore accept to dish out disappointment.

RedViv says:

Hah, imagine if someone made a hacker-themed game that also has jokes about how rubbish it is when unnecessary bloaty services are down and only in the way of getting things done. Now that would be something!

Cinek says:

Real joke is that pirates played this game since…. a day or two before the release – and it worked just fine, no issue with internet connection or uPlay.

• GernauMorat says:

Yeah neogaf is full of people who pirated it before their preorders appeared and know think that was the better version

• razgon says:

You mean the version where 25 percent of your system is used as a hidden bitcoin miner for nefarious hackers?

Yeah, I know which version is best as well!

RaveTurned says:

Presumably, the one that’s actually playable.

• GernauMorat says:

That was hilarious yeah, although I think that was only one version of the torrent

• Sheogorath says:

I’m sure the REAL hackers out there know how to avoid fake releases.

(Or just wait a couple hours for the internet to fill with news about, lets say, how it’s only a certain release with a certain group’s name on it that contains the bitcoin miner.)

CONSUME.
            SAY NOTHING.

• Roz says:

That wasn’t actually true, but yeah.

• FrumiousBandersnatch says:

Know-think? Is this some kind of orwellsh newspeak?

Diziet Sma says:

Ah then I feel lucky. I had none and quite happily played it all yesterday evening. It was a Far Cry from my horrific experience with it when From Dust launched.

RedViv says:

I guess the service will finally be fixed for everyone about anno 2070.

Harlander says:

I took a punt on uplay because it’s worked all right in the past. It didn’t even require me to install a new Driver

(San Francisco)

• Eggman says:

We’ll just have to Settle for having these kinds of problems.

• SanguineAngel says:

Another set of Trials for those poor customers suckered into purchasing a AAA game

• Darth Gangrel says:

When a big, hyped up game is released everything goes South (Park), but if you just Stick with it, it’ll be fine and that’s the Truth.

• Dodj33 says:

I wanted to make some Rabbids progress on the game, but looks like I’ll have to wait

7. DodgyG33za says:

U play?

I don’t.

8. Yargh says:

So very glad I took my own advice after suffering through similar issues with AC IV – I’m considering paying for the game and then using the hacked version to play.

wyrm4701 says:

So, you’re considering paying full price for a defective product, and then expending an effort to acquire a functional version which would expose you to risk of legal action? I ask because that seems insane, and I don’t think you’re crazy… but that course of action doesn’t seem to do anything but encourage companies to sell more defective products in the future. Not only have you expressed an interest in paying for them, but you’ve also indicated you’d like to be held liable for more money as determined in a civil court.

9. frightlever says:

Which just goes to show that if you’re going to put one massive computer system in charge of everything, ya know like in the game, it should be Steam – this’d be funnier if Steam hadn’t had a bunch of outages recently too.

Cinek says:

It shouldn’t be anything at all. Each game should have it’s own independent infrastructure and we shouldn’t be forced into any additional bloatware like Steam, uPlay or Origin. I’m fine if it’s optional for those who want it, sure, for some people advantages overweight disadvantages, but it never, ever should be mandatory for everyone wanting to play particular game.

• SkittleDiddler says:

It’s funny that we’ve seen very little coverage of Steam’s pile of issues lately. Hangs, freezes or disconnects are a daily occurrence by now, and then there are the mysterious “maintenance” weekends along with resulting forum purges and community bans by Steam moderators attempting to sidestep inquiries. Not a peep about all that shit in the press, yet somehow a company notorious for release day shenanigans gets another predictable series of copycat headlines? The elephant in the room always gets ignored in favor of the easy targets.

• Michael Fogg says:

Rumor has it that Gaben is plotting a Great Steam Purge where everyone’s accouts will be emptied. Valve will blame it on Chinese spies and everybody will have to buy their games again.

• fish99 says:

Hmmm… I haven’t seen daily hangs, freezes and disconnects from my Steam. In fact I can’t remember the last time I had any of those problems. Not saying Steam is perfect, but if everyone was getting these issues it *would* be all over the press.

• SkittleDiddler says:

From what I’ve been able to gather, your experience in this regard would be highly dependent on region. The Friday night downtime problems from a few weeks back affected a giant portion of the user base, with Asian and S. Pacific users in particular reporting extended issues. As someone who lives in the midwest US, I wasn’t able to access my Steam account at all on either of those weekends for up to six hours, and I wasn’t the only one who had that problem.

Two of the reasons that downtime stuff never made the news are a) Valve never did any kind of attention-grabbing damage control aside from one or two inconspicuous tweets, and b) they actively deleted any and all user-made discussions regarding the issues in their community forums. Not only that, the community moderators allegedly went on a censorship rampage, banning members who dared to bring the topic up in multiple threads. I personally got banned from the forums for eight days after posting about the weekend downtime in a performance-related thread.

As far as the daily technical issues are concerned, you’re just lucky. Plenty of others are not.

• DrGonzo says:

Steam does occasionally go down, and the friends system has been having a lot of downtime lately. But you can still play your games, even if it can’t log in. That’s the big issue here. As for bloatware, it patches my games, installs and keeps my mods up to date, acts as a messenger client. The list goes on and on. Certainly not bloatware.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Well, an article about how Steam’s much-touted offline mode is shit would be welcome. I assume it’s still shit anyways, I completely gave up on it after a year of disheartening tries. It would only ever work if I put Steam in offline mode in advance… but it’s when I boot my computer to discover my ISP has a problem that I want offline mode. Pretty hard to plan.

Also, there should be a law regulating public discussion forums whereby companies are forced to archive in a separate readonly and public section posts they censor.

LarsBR says:

The best bit was that the “unrecoverable error” popup appears UNDER the uPlay window (if you leave it centered), and uPlay’s “busy” animation keeps on playing. I had no idea it had crashed for the longest time. What an evil, absolutely bloody intentional, evil black pattern, Ubisoft. Shame!

11. Drake Sigar says:

After Uplay is finished with you, you’ll be lucky if you can play Minesweeper.

Lars Westergren says:

It isn’t just Glare_puppies. I couldn’t play Might and Magic X or Rocksmith 2014 yesterday. uPlay keeps crashing when it is looking for updates, don’t know if it is permanently corrupt. Bravo Ubi, just when I started to like you again.

13. Neurotic says:

I rate the ‘all in one’ jobbies so:

1. Steam, 2. Origin, 3. Arc, 4. Battle.net launcher 5. uPlay

• Berzee says:

6. MSN Gaming Zone ;_;

• Mctittles says:

Wow, haven’t heard that one for awhile. I kind of miss the gaming zone. Not that it was any good, but I made a lot of friends playing Re-Volt on it back in the day.

14. Crainey says:

Not sure if this extends to multiplayer but I’ve had very little luck finding others to play with online. The few times I did find people they either hacked me, so I wasn’t actively searching, or it was me and one other in a up to 8 person race. Two man races tend to get incredible boring when one person crashes and gets left behind for the whole race.

Luckily I think I got on UPlay just before the Americans woke up and hammered the server. Did hang on the “waiting on server” load screen though.

15. catch22.ian says:

I was trying to play far cry 3 last night – which took ages to login thanks to the Uplay “issues”

• Horg says:

That might be the worst part about the always online, shared log-in client games family. One down? All down.

• Leb says:

Offline mode worked flawlessly for me.

16. Niko says:

My interest in playing Watch underscore dogs went from 0 to 0.

17. schlusenbach says:

In a parallel universe someone starts up a game and a message box appears:

———–
    Thanks for buying our game! We value you as our customer!

Do you want to connect to our gaming network to enhance your gameplay with achievements, multiplayer, social features and more?

Yea, sure! | No, thanks.
    ———–

Imagine Valve would have gone this route in 2003…

• Rao Dao Zao says:

That’d be implying those things are enhancements!

I love me some achievements, but the rest of it, eh…

Anyway, I agree. The bloatware launcher stuff should always be optional.

18. zlate42 says:

My principle: never ever buy a Uplay (Orgin) title, pirate the hell out of them – just because of the irony! It’s not about the money, 100% of my games on my HD are legal – except those from Ubisoft! And the pirated versions work great, much better than the legal ones!

19. bstard says:

This RPS article was copy pasted and queued like 6 months ago? Could have done so, stayed in bed, with a hangover and pretent you bums actually worked today. I mean its not a super big suprice, is it, when Uplay fcks up on release of a big Ubisoft title.

20. NothingFunny says:

Can some one explain, why so much hate on this game and people sound frustrated? or is it just a hate towards Ubisoft projected on its games?

• Michael Fogg says:

I watched a certain popular Youtuber’s first look kind of video and W_D genuinely seems like a good-to-great kind of affair. The bitterly dissapointed tone of the WiT is somewhat bizzare…

• KenTWOu says:

W_D genuinely seems like a good-to-great kind of affair…

Especially if you like its aggro/cover/hacking/car based stealth.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

If you mean TotalBiscuit, the major flaw in his “I like it” is his “I haven’t played much of the campaign”. The most you can take away is that he thinks its a pretty fun sandbox. Personally I buy open worlders for the campaign as well as the splashy around stuff and side missions, so this is important. The RPS review spoke to that part much more.

• KenTWOu says:

I was watching the beginning of walkthrough by one really cool stealth junkie. He loves the game very much, especially its relatively slow pacing and freedom of approach during main/side missions. But he plays PS4 version. Yeah, Graham Smith mentioned in his WIT the game has few missteps here and there. And PC version is a mess (thank you very much, nVidia), but the game is really great. It still gives you much more agency and stealth than other Ubisoft open world titles. We should celebrate it. Instead RPS readers hate the game because of its hype (+gfx degradation +Ubisoft +Uplay). They hated BioShock:Infinite for almost the same reason. And they are so happy when WD gets low scores even when it gets those scores because another GTA5 fan doesn’t like that WD missions don’t have the same variety, cause they weren’t heavily scripted/on-rails for the sake of fun and didn’t throw Hollywood like performances at him during every minute.

Cinek says:

RPS got a very, very specific userbase.

Basically: Everything that’s an AAA title is automatically bad and evil.
      Everything that’s got an indie label (even if it’s published by EA or other monstrosity of the industry) is automatically praised with dozens of people defending every bit of it.

• Shooop says:

Hype.

Ubisoft hyped the shit out of this game, and now the people who were dumb enough to believe it’d solve world hunger are upset but too immature to blame themselves for falling for the obvious.

If you love schadenfreude, browse the Steam forum for this game. It’ll make your month.

• ShadyGuy says:

Yeah, people who got pumped up by the hype will be disappointed. If you didn’t and just expected a decent to good GTA clone then you’ll have a much better time. It’s an excellent game and the hacking mechanics, while simple in execution, are really fun to use. Especially in car chases.

• Leb says:

pretty much this, I didn’t really follow any of the pre-release media at all and its met my expectations of a good GTA clone with unique mechanics and an intriguing story

• RvLeshrac says:

$60 game that doesn’t work? “umad” post?

Keep on trollin’

21. earlgrey says:

U, play?

U wish!

22. Lemming says:

The irony is, if Ubisoft had had the business sense and couilles to use Uplay as their dedicated service, leaving Steam completely, they’d probably have bothered to spend more time and money on it and it wouldn’t be having these issues now. I may have even decided to buy Ubisoft games again.

• The Random One says:

Because not enough people use uPlay, they don’t have enough servers.
      Because they don’t have enough servers, many people decide not to use uPlay.

23. Psymon says:

I’d love to see a list compiled of botched releases, regardless of problem, despite most of the recent examples being due to servers collapsing under the strain at launch.
    Sim City
    Star Craft II
    Diablo III
    Watch_Dogs
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Dark Souls

Cinek says:

And add Battlefield 4 to your list.
      Or my favourite: SotS ][ – the worst release I have seen in all my years of PC gaming. Yes… it was much worse than SimCity. Paradox broke all of the records in allowing a release of complete and utter shit.

• Psymon says:

You just reminded me of X rebirth! Keep the suggestions coming :D

Cantisque says:

It’s stuff like this that totally justifies piracy. Ironically it’s the anti-piracy measures that are preventing paying customers from playing, but not pirates. I don’t remember Steam ever having issues with server overload when a big release happens, although their store page often collapses during summer sales… Not quite the same impact though.
    Ubisoft has been in my good books lately in terms of the games they make, but then they go and pollute them with stuff like this. Child of Light, great game and risky move for something quite special and full of heart, spoiled somewhat by cash-grabbing day-one DLC…
    Ubi, please, your games are awesome, just make them and we’ll buy them! Take the DRM-free route, or at the very least stop locking people to your awful digital distribution system…

Cinek says:

In last few days Steam got dozens of issues, and to make things worse – they had absolutely no excuse for that. Overloads at the release are perfectly understandable, but shit that happened on Steam obviously isn’t even mentioned on RPS, cause why would it? Steam is the best thing ever according to RPS, lol.

• XhomeB says:

That is a good point, actually. As much as I like Steam, it’s had PLENTY of such hiccups over the course of the last year, there were days it downright prevented me from playing, period. I try to keep it offline all the time now. Do RPS care, does anyone care? Of course not, Gaben is a saint, he can do no wrong. That’s not professional journalism, that’s butt-kissing.

I didn’t have any problems with Uplay when I bought Rayman Origins or Might&Magic X, so I guess it’s a matter of not keeping up with the demand, Watch Dogs seems to be a big seller atm.

• Chuckleluck says:

I read somewhere (it might have been in the comments on another RPS article) that Valve doesn’t want to be a big company (at least not the size of Microsoft or Sony), they want to stay small and friendly and saintly, so they don’t overhaul Steam with many more servers and people working on it. They never expected Steam to be the Xbox Live of PC gaming.

• Lemming says:

Perhaps its because ‘Steam having dozens of issues over the last year’ is hearsay and not anything as widespread as what is happening here.

• benkc says:

Yeah, I think the last time I had steam prevent me from playing a game was pre-Orange Box. When I read claims that steam is constantly breaking for everyone, I’m highly skeptical.

• MellowKrogoth says:

I find it great that we still have the freedom to pirate a game we bought pretty easily if for some reason it fails to work with the official version. Not sure for how long we’ll enjoy that if the gaming industry starts behaving like the music and film ones and extorts money from people and ruins lives.

Big Murray says:

Wait … there’s an underscore in Watch Dogs?

26. Shooop says:

If you pre-ordered this, you deserve zero symphony.

Ubisoft made no secret they were over-hyping the game, going as far to Photoshop screenshots of it, and clearly said Uplay was its DRM – even if you got the game through Steam.

You are a bad consumer, and you got what you paid for.

• Psymon says:

I couldn’t resist googling that after reading your reply.
      I’m glad I did.

• HadToLogin says:

I preordered it for around €10, thanks to Ubistore mistake. Worth it.

But not worth €50. If you pre-order it for that kind of money, ha ha ha.

27. Sp4rkR4t says:

It’s not just uPlay that is screwed up, I bought a copy of the Digital Deluxe version through Origin and that copy hasn’t even unlocked yet, contacted EA support and apparently it’s a known issue and I should just waiting patiently like a good little pleb, then they cut me off from the support chat.

• The Random One says:

Do you qualify for Origin’s mega refund? ‘Cause that’d make me get one immediately.

28. Advanced Assault Hippo says:

It’s a shame – because Steam desperately needs competition when it comes to digital content delivery platforms, and Uplay having these problems isn’t going to help with that.

But I would dearly like to see RPS report more on the Steam issues that continue to plague gamers. Connection problems, synching problems resulting in lost progress, offline glitches, etc. And they’ve had 10 years to iron it all out.

As each week of Steam issues passes without mention on RPS, it belittles their reporting on Uplay/Origin issues.

tumbleworld says:

Ah, dear old Usuffer.

Fuck you, Watch_Dogs. Fuck you.

30. derbefrier says:

you know whats funny. I had Uplay set to offline mode and didnt even realize there were issues. I finally realized i had it set up to boot in offline mode and turned it on to try the multiplayer stuff out yesterda and it took a while to get it to work. Muiltiplayer launch issues are so common these days its hard to even care anymore. we bitch and bitch and nothing ever changes so really I guess setting it to offline mode was a good idea.

31. Tei says:

The multiplayer part looks silly fun. Is sad that Ubisoft can’t provide a good service near release day.

32. Shazbut says:

Ubisoft could post shit through your letterbox, insult your mother and rob you, it would make no difference.

Don’t buy their stuff. Don’t complain about it. Just don’t buy it.

33. IceBreaker says:

Notice that Ubisoft’s tweet does not contain the words “sorry” or “apologize”

Jalan says:

Somewhere in their articles of incorporation is a clause mandating that they maintain the appearance of having no soul at all times.

• HisDivineOrder says:

Apologizing outright would be as good as admitting blame. Lawyers will tell you that’s a bad thing for a giant, soulless corporation because inevitably with large numbers of customers, such an admission could be used to begin a lawsuit that might draw bad press and certainly would require a settlement to get it to go away.

Easier just to embrace the soulless aspect of your corporate personage.

34. HisDivineOrder says:

I think you’re looking at this wrong.

Watch Dogs isn’t a game that’s about a system that works properly.

Watch Dogs is a game about a system that is constantly crashing, being hacked, driven into the ground, abused, infiltrated, and essentially revealed as a flawed, broken system that is likely invading everyone’s privacy on a massive scale (given the marketing info in the trailers).

In that light, these bugs starting the game are like breaking the fourth wall. ITS ADDING TO THE EXPERIENCE OF THE GAME SHOWING YOU WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE RELIANT ON THE CTOS!

All by design. Working as intended. Consider this a launch day exclusive FEATURE for the earliest, most loyal fans to ENJOY.

Alas, I will not get to enjoy such a feature since I didn’t preorder. ;) I wish I could have gotten in on this time-limited exclusive gameplay EXPERIENCE. Woes.

35. playtech1 says:

Thankfully, once activated (which went fine for me on launch day), the offline mode works perfectly well, so I suspect a bit of a storm in a teacup. I don’t love uPlay, but it’s better than Origin and Steam badly needs some competition. If Ubi and EA weren’t nipping at Valve’s heels it would cut Valve’s incentive have been in developing things like In Home Streaming, Big Picture Mode etc.

36. zarnywoop says:

You don’t say..?

37. Shodex says:

Ubisoft. Stop. It’s not working out.
    You’re encouraging piracy.

38. Grumpy Trooper says:

So the very thing that is designed to prevent piracy only actually prevents legitimate players from playing whilst some of the pirate community have finished the single player campaign already……….gotta love effective DRM.

Glad I decided to wait untill it has been out for a couple of weeks.

• Volcanu says:

It’s not like this sort of thing hasn’t happened before with DRM either.

It’s like (at least in the UK) when you buy a DVD and it forces you to sit through an irritating advert about how “you wouldn’t steal a car” so don’t pirate this film – every time you put the disc in. Every time it happens I cant help but think – “I bet I wouldn’t have to watch this patronising and irritating cr@p if I’d downloaded an illegal copy”.

• MellowKrogoth says:

I’d love to see a “you wouldn’t steal a car” advert at the start of a game like Watch_Dogs, where you spend a lot of your time stealing cars :D !

But I suspect the games industry isn’t as stringent with pirates because a large part of the developers working in those companies are or were pirates… for some of them pirating games being a big factor in their growing love for games and joining the industry.

luke_osullivan says:

To add to the hilarity, those of us waiting for the Asia release on Steam and/or Origin have just seen it be pushed back by an entire *month* to 27 June at less than 24 hours notice. People who pre-ordered are well and truly unhappy. The English-only DVD is in stores here in Singapore but the Steam version with multilanguage support for Thai and Mandarin Chinese somehow wasn’t ready, or something. Because not many people speak those languages in this part of the world, I guess. Particularly Chinese. And because they couldn’t release it now and add the multilanguage support in a patch later. Er…

The whole thing is one big mess. UPlay adds zero value, doesn’t work properly, inconveniences and angers consumers, and creates terrible PR for a company that does actually make some good games if you take out the terrible DRM. Why oh why oh why.

40. wodin says:

Very disappointed with this game..though I suppose what it was advertising over the last year seemed to good to be true.

Even the graphics aren’t upto much (On a ATI 270 card). Plus it seems to chug along.

Wolfenstein..a game I’d written off during development turns out to be magnitudes more entertaining than WatchDogs.