Naughty Cat Simulator: Catlateral Damage On Kickstarter

By Alice O'Connor on June 17th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Just casually touching Cara's beverage.

Catlateral Damage is an inevitability within the physics-based mischief genre. What in life is more knowingly and gleefully destructive than a cat? Certainly nothing we’d welcome into our homes and tickle under the chin while cooing (it’s too early for me to wrestle with the morality behind answering “humans”). This genre was destined to spawn a game where you play a cat knocking things onto the floor.

We’ve had a bit of a giggle with it since the first alpha build last August, and it’s been updated a fair few times since. Now it’s turned, as so many weird ideas do, to Kickstarter.

Creator Chris Chung hopes to raise $40,000 (£24,000) to expand Catlateral Damage’s demo into a full game. He envisions procedurally-generated houses where you’ll systematically trash everything then move onto the next one, then the next, until you get to break something very expensive in a mansion at the end of the street. Power-ups and different cat classes, with some able to jump higher or more fond of trashing plants, are planned too. Pledging at least $12 (£7) will get you a copy of the finished game.

You can play the current alpha version in your browser with Unity or download it.

It’s a simple joke–cats break things–but I have found myself returning every now and then to see what’s new and trash a few rooms. Knocking stuff over is relaxing and I find the controls pleasing. The left mouse button swipes your left paw, right swipes your right, and clicking your mousewheel is a poke. Something about that poke is very satisfying, the perfect button for this action. I can’t imagine playing it for long stretches but it is nice to revisit, which is a fine way to experience a game.

RPS story time: My own cat’s getting on in years now but still makes time to antagonise people, and especially Cara (who’s allergic to cats) when she visits. She once sat staring directly at Cara, who stared back, then firmly placed her paw on the rim of Cara’s tea before pulling it back and turning away. She knows full well what she’s doing. They all do.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Niko says:

“What in life is more knowingly and gleefully destructive than a cat?”
    Probably chihuahuas are, according to this highly esteemed science magazine:

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Raccoons. Evil stuff.

Oh and the legendary honey badger off course.

EDIT: The image posted in your link is one of the best things of the week.

• Darth Gangrel says:

What in life is more unknowingly hilarious and gleefully confident than a spambot, lol?

2. LionsPhil says:

But much of the passive-agressive wonder of the malicious cat is how it can destroy things without focusing on them, by “accident”. The tail wrapped around a glass of wine as it walks past. The leg caught on a monitor cable it tries to pull free. Just batting at things lacks that essential feline subtlety.

• Kollega says:

Totally agreed. We have two cats living in our home, and I never saw them deliberately swiping things to the floor to smash them. It’s always the callous, I-don’t-really-care-either-way catlateral damage, not deliberate acts of mischief and mayhem.

• Geebs says:

I am 99.9% (+/- 0.1%) certain the person who invented those Magsafe power sockets on laptops owns a cat.

LegendaryTeeth says:

My cat definitely straight up pushes stuff off of tables and things. He knows that if it’s on the floor, it’s a toy he can play with. So.. if there’s something he might want, it has to be on the floor. SOMEHOW.

• qrter says:

I’m hoping there’ll be a co-op mode – one person controls the paws, an entirely different person controls the tail. Preferably the two players have absolutely no way to communicate and coordinate.

It’s always a joy to see my cat randomly swipe things off the table with his tail, freaking himself out in the process (“who thew that!?”). The front end literally has no idea what the back end is doing.

• Berzee says:

[oops, accidental reply]

3. hypercrisis says:

Is ‘ironically crap’ the next big genre?

• Niko says:

…of comments?

• hypercrisis says:

No I mean stuff like this and Goat Sim or Cliffhorse just seems tailored to being some reddit meme-of-the-week where the joke is the lack of effort.

• soldant says:

The first one is a joke.

The copycats are mere emulations and do not deserve thy attention.

• Niko says:

Making any game actually requires a lot of effort so it’s just unfair to say so. Goat Simulator and Cliffhorse are both playing on hilarious aspects of physics, and that’s what they are – they aren’t striving to be something bigger (although Goat Simulator gets new stuff all the time). It looks like your problem is with the theme (humorous game where you play as an animal).

• Rob Maguire says:

I think Super Bunnyhop had it right in his review of Goat Simulator (4:13-8:18). These kind of games are suddenly popping up everywhere because they are popular among YouTube LPers, whose insane popularity means a massive boost in sales for featured games regardless of quality or lasting appeal.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I never knew LPers could affect sales that much. I thought people just liked watching someone else playing a game and making amusing commentary, like Pewdiepie’s ranting and screaming. If they play the game by themselves they’ll have to make their own commentary and so it won’t be the same thing.

4. Kollega says:

I don’t know, people… as I’ve said above, the game is extremely unrrrrrrealistic. I’m just not feline it.

• Geebs says:

Yeah, there’s been a litter these sort of games recently.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Might still be worth a try, i think i’ll take a nip.

• Chuckleluck says:

This is the worst game I’ve seen on RPS in a while.

Nah, I’m just kitten you.

5. Richard Burton says:

It’s insane! I was literally only just playing “as a cat” last night in the (surprisingly, much better than I’d expected it to be) game ‘Murdered: Soul Suspect’ on PS3… actually it isn’t all that brilliant, heh… pretty basic stuff, mostly movie cutscenes really… but the bits where you can possess a pussy are actually great!! (press triangle for ‘meow’, rinse repeat)… it’s worth playing it just for that alone! Um, yeah anyway… I love cats so this looks interesting too… xD

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yeah, or MG Rising when you get to control the little Gekko. Spamming the taunt move never gets old.

6. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Cara still needs a cat, on the basis that EVERYONE does, so let me point out that the Siberian cat is fine even for allergies: http://www.anusia.it/nonallergenic.htm

Well, they also look awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gyY5kN5IjA

7. baozi says:

I thought, how can this be any fun, but for some reason, it was. Not sure if it’s worth a complete game though.

I wish they would work on the movement. Doesn’t feel very catlike at the moment.

And they should add swift subsequent swipes. That would be cool.

8. Michael Fogg says:

All these cat stories remind me of my kitty, that died this March at the age of 16. Sob.

• Banjo-Tuesday says:

Sorry to hear about your loss. I know how attached one can get to these dear little fuzzballs.

9. Berzee says:

Did everyone make sure to try the crouch jump pounce? It’s very exciting (and sometimes useful).

10. SillyWizard says:

Aren’t you people supposed to say “whilst?”

11. acu says:

I don’t know.. I played the demo and it is fun for maybe 10-20 minutes. I feel like adding more stuff to such a basic game won’t make it more interesting.