Battlefield Hardlimes To Get Another Beta This Fall

By Nathan Grayson on June 30th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Crime doesn't pay, you say? Tell that to these sweet Oakley sunglasses.

Battlefield Hardlimes‘ surprise E3 beta is officially over and done with, or in military speak (that I have learned exclusively from videogames), Charlie Mike Oscar Bravo Rhinoceros Chimpanzee Overalls Tuba. Given how Battlefield 4‘s launch turned out, however, I’m quite glad to hear that another beta will be happening this fall. Maybe… maybe this one will finally launch in actual, factual ship shape?

Visceral GM Steve Papoutsis outlined the cops ‘n’ robbers ‘n’ guns-way-too-big-for cops ‘n’ robbers shooter’s future in a blog post:

“The Battlefield Hardline beta was just a small portion of what is in store. We have plenty of new modes in the game that really play off the cop and criminal theme, as well as the return of fan-favorites. The variety in maps is also something that Battlefield fans have never experienced before, from subterranean grow labs to the streets of Miami, complete with all the vibe and flavor that city has to offer.”

“If you didn’t get a chance to play the Battlefield Hardline beta this time around don’t worry, we have your back as we’ll be launching another beta this fall on all announced platforms that will showcase more. Stay tuned to hear more later this year.”

He also reaffirmed what I was told at E3 a couple weeks ago – that there will be single-player as well, and it’ll draw heavily on Hollywood cop shows and movies. It sounds like the campaign, especially, is more Visceral’s baby than a traditional manshoot/manshout Battlefield campaign. That is – at least, if it pans out – very good news.

What did you think of Hardline’s beta? Graham didn’t exactly fall head over Kevlar-armored SWAT boots for it, but it sounds like the rest of the game will have a fair bit more going for it.

I am still worried about the state this one might come out in, though. Yes, doing multiple beta tests bodes much better than BF3 and BF4’s pre-launch build-ups, but I can’t help but be a little wary when EA has a) made the same mistake multiple times with this series and b) offered almost the exact same excuse on every occasion. I encourage everyone to watch and wait here. This one is far from a sure thing, even if it is at least on the right track from a testing perspective.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

DarkLiberator says:

Thought the beta was good fun but didn’t make me want to buy it.

• BobbyDylan says:

Indeed. If EA thinks I’m paying £50m for this mod, they’re seriously out of touch.

• Correa says:

Didn’t enjoy it at all. Reskinned BF4 was all that was going through my head when playing it. Then asking for anything over £10 for what’s been shown is just taking the piss.

• toxic avenger says:

So…10 dollars for all those new assets, maps, guns, infrastructure, etc? That seems, when you step back and think about it, fair to you?

• Umbert says:

Yes, why isn’t this a DLC/Expansion for BF4? Because of the Singleplayer? Could have marketed as Expandalone (BF4 – Hardline) with either Singleplayer and Multiplayer (30$) or just Multiplayer DLC (15$) for BF4.

• Tom Walker says:

It costs £50 million? Wow, that really is extortionate. I could have my own version developed exactly how I wanted for that.

• DanMan says:

I didn’t even try it. Didn’t look different enough.

2. SuicideKing says:

It’ll be a shame if it’s actually a good game, but everyone’s too cynical to buy it.

It’ll be a bigger shame if everyone thinks like that, buys it, and it turns out to be the same crap-fest that modern EA games more than often turn out to be.

3. The Godzilla Hunter says:

It was sorta fun and being really high up was cool, but the massive loading times and sameness to BF3 (I’ve not even played BF4) means I won’t even bother playing the beta again, let alone the game itself.

4. Blackrook says:

It was fun in a run and gun way – felt more COD than BF.
    It worked fine on my PC , although I agree loading times were very long.

It was good for coop you had to work as a team to win, unlike BF4
    where most people just do there own stuff.

But as everyone said, I think people would be stupid to pay full price for what seems
    mostly BF4 in new clothes. Should really be sold as a £10 -15 expansion to it.

• BobbyDylan says:

Expect in 6 months, the new EA CEO to make a speech about “they made a mistake with H4rdline, and have learned from it. So please pre-order Battlefield 5″.

• Chuckleluck says:

I never cared to get into the beta. What made cooperation better than BF4? That’s one of my big issues with the way the franchise is going – everyone sees COD is going downhill so they take their mindless manshooting lonewolfing over to my precious teamwork franchise.

• Kirudub says:

I feel that it DID promote run & gun tactics & lone-wolfing. There’s a gadget that allows the medic class to self-heal, FFS.

5. alh_p says:

“Battlefield Hardlimes To Get Another Beta This Fall”.

No, no, NO!

Battlefield Hardlimes To Get Another Beta This AUTUMN.

• Jimmy Jazz says:

Well, I think us ‘Mericans will give you Autumn if you start saying “Math” instead of “Maths”

6. theirongiant says:

Standard EA practice, after all everyone is still playing the second beta of BF4.

7. Chuckleluck says:

It better be in good shape on release, considering it’s barely reskinned BF4.

8. Ace Rimmer says:

When life gives you hardlimes, make hard lemonade.

9. Zulthar says:

The only thing that separates this from previous BF in terms of actual gameplay is smaller maps, a new game mode and ziplines. They could have just released CTF and ziplines as DLC for BF4.