Bird-Brained: Nelly Cootalot’s On Greenlight

By John Walker on July 22nd, 2014 at 10:00 am.

The extremely lovely point and click adventure Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy appeared when RPS was but a fledgling chick, not sure how to arrange text and images. The game, however, knew exactly how to arrange such things, the sweetest love letter from boyfriend to girlfriend, and a damned funny little adventure too. Last year saw a sequel, The Fowl Fleet successfully seek funding on Kickstarter, and in the time since creator Alasdair Beckett-King has teamed up with Application Systems to complete the game. There’s a new trailer, below, and a Greenlight campaign.

Beckett-King is a funny chap, as has been shown in both the free Spoonbeaks Ahoy, and in the utterly superb Kickstarter video. He’s funny all over again in the Greenlight appeal below, which also shows off the really rather lovely art style for the game:

And you’ll never see better hair on a game developer. Sorry Jon Romero, you’ve had your day.

The game has increased its reach since the more limited Kickstarter ambitions, and will now be coming to Mac and Linux as well as PC, and in proper HD. And coo, look at all the proper grown-up voice recording:

So, yes, I want to play this rather a lot. Which means you should Greenlight it for me. You can read more about the game here.

, , , , , .

1. unit 3000-21 says:

I actually think the art style is terrible. The faces make me feel uneasy.
    On the other hand this Alasdair chap seems like a nice fellow to have a pint, or a cuppa with.

• Chalky says:

I’m not really sure what it is about the face of the main character but it is a little bit odd.

The non-character art seems fine though IMO, the backdrops and such.

• GernauMorat says:

Yeah, sounds interesting but I have to agree. That art style makes me wince somehow.

2. noodlecake says:

Ew. I hate these cell shaded 3D graphics. The original 2d graphics were much nicer.

3. Spacewalk says:

I used to have hair like that before the accident.

4. sinister agent says:

Oh man I loved Nelly Cootalot. It was so adorable and charming and a bit funny and playable. I’m pretty sure it’s the only adventure game I ever finished – usually I get bored of them and their shitty gameplay within an hour.

Scandalon says:

The wife and I enjoyed the first one enough that we backed this, and the folks I interacted with through the facebook page were kind enough to let me submit a voice reel. (Curse my California’n accent, I knew I should have gone more “Downtown Abbey upper-crust” ). True story.