Sandbox Sataning: Lucius 2 Announced

By Alice O'Connor on August 8th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Psst! Kid! Your cross is downside-up.

The idea of Lucius sounded jolly good fun, an Omen ‘em up about the son of the Satan offing his family and servants. But as our Jim noted in his review, in reality it was more an adventure game where the puzzles to solve happened to be people to murder. You might, for example, break a lawnmower so you can mind-control the gardener into jamming his head into its spinning blades.

Lucius II, announced today, seems far more keen on Satantic murder. Developers Shiver Games describe it as a “3D splatter adventure sandbox” about terrorising a hospital and a small town. The trailer sure has a lot of splatter, with heads popping off and fires fires fires.

Escaping from the mental ward where he was put after murdering his family and razing their home, Lucius this time will be a lot more casual about murdering. The announcement boasts of “over 100 potential victims” and creating traps “using a complex combination system and various tools.” My favourite from the trailer is firing a gas cannister to pop a head off like a cork. Or casually strolling spreading fire with a jug of chemicals. Perhaps clonking a chap with a crane. It’s all quite silly.

A press release quote from Shiver’s Johannes Aikio:

“The main goal has been to add more freedom and to deliver a sandbox-type setting for the murderous kid – Be ready to use your creativity for inflicting pain and suffering, because this time the restrictions are gone and the sins have multiplied!”

Shiver plan to release Lucius II in “early 2015″ on Steam.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Skeletor68 says:

I watched Dodger’s playthrough of the first one. If it is an improvement on the first I may give it a go this time.

I’m simultaneously drawn to, and terrified of, satanic stuff. Must be all that guilt on abandoning my Irish catholicism for atheism.

2. Ross Angus says:

What is that shape in the negative space between the “I” and the “U” of “Lucius”? It … kind of looks rude.

3. ReV_VAdAUL says:

Welp, that’s that, RPS isn’t going to ever have a better headline than Sandbox Sataning.

4. mrmalodor says:

I still have nightmares about the “mission” where you had to collect dirty underwear.

5. Richard Burton says:

Good article, Des. Give Freddie Starr my regards. xD

6. brokeTM says:

Looks more like Sanbox Dennissing The Menacing to me.

7. povu says:

Kidman: Blood Money?

8. Dimsey says:

Sounds more like what I was hoping the first one would be. Will have to keep my eyes on this.

9. frightlever says:

First one was a great premise but ruined by the implementation. Make a mistake during a mission and you were busted right back to the start which coupled with a temperamental UI got old fast.

10. rpsKman says:

No DRM-free for the new one?

11. jorygriffis says:

I love that it’s subtitled “The Prophecy” instead of, you know…

12. I_have_no_nose_but_I_must_sneeze says:

This has potential. I thought the first one was frustratingly obtuse and restrictive, but I don’t regret playing it through. It was a neat idea and when it worked, it was pleasantly atmospheric. Some of the death scenes really fit the theme, too, in their over-the-topness.

13. Wytefang says:

Sound either too dumb for the sheer sensationalism of it or just too lame, in general…

14. smacky says:

This looks like an interesting evolution of the old Deception games on Sony consoles. I will refrain from salivating.

15. DelrueOfDetroit says:

My first impression was Goat Simulator + gibs. That could be a good thing.

http://youtubedoubler.com/d94w I think it works.

16. johnwalkerisanidiot says:

reminds me of an ole PS1 game I loved as a kid, where you must defend your castle from intruding do-gooders while you do something evil. you’d have to spend currency to set up booby-traps before hand and then attempt to lure them into various enviromental dangers or your pre-set deathtraps.

I think it was japanese developed, sounds a bit like tower-defense in this shit description but it had a lot more depth. the game itself was pretty weak on every other point, but luring a would-be hero into a pendulum-axe of doom never, ever got old.

17. Polifemo says:

Only in games is “play as a satanic murdering child wot does lost of indulgent murdering” considered an OK sales pitch. It looks cool dont get me wrong but I feel it apeals more to the whole “edgy teen” crowd and I for one want to pretend ive outgrown wanting to play that type of game (I havent)
    Everyone has those guilty pleasures games and this seems to be one of them.

Comment on this story