Come Die With Me: Don’t Starve Together

By Adam Smith on August 20th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Don’t Starve Together is the sort of stern instruction that was once delivered by frowning parents to their newly married offspring as they set out to find a partner for life. The ruddy-faced matron wouldn’t tell her son to make sure he wooed a girl who always washed behind the ears, and the cracked lips of an aged farmer would not part to instruct his daughters in the ways of romance and wedlock – instead, mother and father both would have one piece of advice. “When you settle down with a spouse and begin a life of your own, eternal bliss can be yours if you follow this advice – Don’t Starve Together.” Then they’d slip a withered turnip out of their breeches, pass it across and shut the door of the family home for good.

Don’t Starve’s upcoming multiplayer mode will allow you to relive the good old days with your own friends and it’ll be entering closed beta before September 23rd.

The update will be free and Klei point out that it has required more work than people might imagine. As well as networking implementation, the multiplayer mode requires reimagining of fundamental game mechanics. How can one player sleep through the night, skipping forward to the morning, if other players are active in the same world.

Hopefully, the solution to that particular problem involves nightly coffee downpours that caffeinate every living thing and prevent the phantom death of sleep from becoming an issue. Hopefully.

More details in the AMA over yonder.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Dances to Podcasts says:

Sounds like a call to cannibalism.

• mwoody says:

Would you rather starve together, or feast alone? Make your choice!

2. Senethro says:

BTW I don’t mean to derail but is anyone talking about the thing that happened involving the guy?

• Gog Magog says:

You mean Robocop?
      Yeah, fucking RIP man. I cried like half even a tear. ;I

3. mpOzelot says:

“…and shut the door of the family home for good.”
    Is it really how it goes in real life too?

4. noizy says:

It’s interesting. I thought they had killed the idea of doing a multi-player mode. (see this post http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/portal/articles/948100-multiplayer-in-don-t-starve)

It’s nice to see them wrestle with these hard design decisions. I bet there’s a quite a variety of opinion at the studio on whether the whole things is a good idea or not. I might jump back in to play when the MP comes out; so I guess that’s a win, right?

Martel says:

I’ll be buying my coop buddy a copy when multiplayer is out, so I suppose they’ll get at least one more sale from adding it.

• socrate says:

the fact that 90% of the people who bought the game on steam alone were shouting for a multiplayer mode did help i think…the truth is don’t starve is mediocre at best in solo play starving wasn’t really the problem and once you got set up you just repeat the same action over and over and over and watch that dumb day counter go up….not alots of people found it really interesting and when you look at time played for this game on most people that bought it,its really next to nothing(i wish idle time would show up since i do this a ton and my play time is usually not representative of my actual play time)…most people just tend to watch youtuber play the game from what ive read and heard from other player.

The game unlike other survival game tend to not have the building these other game have so it end up being quite limited…i have yet to see a survival game with an actual REAL survival element…you always end up mastering the game and then counting the day….multiplayer just make these game waaaayyy more fun thus why people want this…and Don’t starve definitely need it

Its sad that they took that much time to put that in but its also really good that they actually did in the end.

5. whorhay says:

The sleeping through the night or heat of the day should be one of the easier mechanics to fix. The player that is sleeping simply waits out that part of the day while the other player continues to play. The advantage to sleeping anyways isn’t skipping time but regaining sanity or avoiding the dangers that time frame by going to a safe place.

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

That’s a good point, I’d probably even find sleeping more useful in single player if the time was not lost but could instead be used to browse through the crafting menus to try to remember what on earth I was planning on doing next…dreaming up plans I guess.

6. Pixolygon says:

Do we need to rent servers to play together?