Parkitect Kickstarter Trailer Revives Old Theme Park Vibes

By Graham Smith on August 26th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

When we last covered Parkitect, it was but a dream in the GIFs of its development log. Now it’s a dream on Kickstarter, with substantially more images, GIFs and details for the Theme Park-like theme park management game. It’s already raised $14,505 Canadian dollars towards its $50,000 goal with 26 days left on the clock, and the trailer below is well-worth a watch to see the team’s progress thus far.

I am surprised to see a quote from me at the start of this trailer, but it’s true: it’s a surprise that in this age of re-makes, reborn genres and Peter Molyneux, it’s taken this long for someone to spiritually revive the vomit and deadly rollercoasters of Theme Park.

The Parkitect devs have been working on the game for free thus far, but break down where your money will go through on the Kickstarter page. There’s a pie chart and everything. I’m particularly fond of the section on stretch goals, which begins, “NONE. We want to make one, excellent game. Stretch goals run the risk of over-scoping the game and causing financial problems. We’ve decided against them after researching successful projects.” Given how many Kickstarter projects stumble, or produce a lesser game, because of stretch goal-incurred feature-creep, it’s good to see more designers standing firm.

It’s also equally good to see them put out some sort of demo, albeit in “interactive trailer” form. It uses Unity’s browser plugin to let you mouse around an in-motion, in-game world, though it’s otherwise not controllable and has no sound. Still – nice to see some greater representation of the current state of the game.

$15 gets you a copy of Parkitect when it’s done, $20 gets you access to their rollercoaster sound library (!), $40 gets you a pre-alpha build “a couple of weeks before Early Access”, and you’ve got 26 more days to decide whether this is worth your Canadian dollars.

, , , .

1. Leb says:

As cool as this looks, the two Kickstarter I have been burned on were Canadian – Starforge and Castle Story

Can’t trust my fellow Canucks with my money it seems

• ashellinthepit says:

Composer here. Firstly, please note that our programmer is an ultra-disciplined German and not a lackadaisy Canuck, and will kill us with his bare hands if we fail to ship.

I will fall on my sword if this doesn’t ship and will force the other two to do so as well. I absolutely refuse to be one of those Kickstarters and so do the other guys, which is why there are no stretch goals and we’re keeping the development path as simple and clean as possible.

• Aquifel says:

I know how you feel, i backed both of those, had no clue they were both canadian.

• noodlecake says:

I invested in projects that happened to be by two black people. Both of them failed so all black people I have ever invested money in have let me down therefore I must deduce that black people are unreliable and not to be trusted with investments.

• JarinArenos says:

I suspect it’s a “I’ve been burned by kickstarters in general so now avoid them, but here’s a humorous comment anyway”, Also, saying a gentle mocking of your own home country is like racism is an oddly blatant form of false equivalence.

Carra says:

Seeing the trailer, it looks like a carbon copy of Rollercoaster Tycoon. In which case, I might as well just play that game.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Yes, I am struggling to see the point of it at the moment. It really does look like a carbon copy.

• Scripten says:

I’d recommend taking a look at the dev blog. Right now they’re working on adding details to the staff and logistics side of things. I like the idea of having to stock stores and keep my workers happy as well as my guests. Also, the work they’re doing on scenery and how guests “look at” your park is something I’ve always wanted to see more of. I want to make pretty things, damn it!

• Scurra says:

Yup. The notes I have read in the devblog merely appear to suggest that they are adding an entire “supply” infrastructure to what is already a well-defined game. And whilst that may well appeal to some people, my own feeling is that RCT is micromanagement enough already, without needing to worry about exactly where the balloons and hotdogs are coming from…

• Sebioff says:

True – the trailer only shows footage from the current state of development. Check out our KS page for information on how we want this to be different from RCT (disclaimer: I’m one of the devs behind this, obviously).

• satsui says:

I’ve been following the devs for a while. One of the largest changes is the amount of management involved. You’ll need to focus on how goods are delivered to stores, how much they cost, and the people in them. The same is true with ride operators – they’ll have feelings and needs too.

• Jake says:

I’d love to see a game that expands on RCT3 but I don’t really see what this offers, at least not yet. It will have to have a lot of work put into it before it has the same amount of rides and objects to place and the same quality graphics. The feature to manage stock doesn’t sound like it would make up for those. I think people forget how good RCT3 is!

• JFS says:

Problem with just playing RCT is that the GOG version (the only one there really is, I guess) has issues. It doesn’t work properly on modern machines.

• ulix says:

Problem with just playing RCT is the horrible, horrible interface.

I still remember playing RCT3, otherwise a great game. When I wanted to add cucumbers to my burger stalls, I had to do it for every of a dozen or so seperately, I couldn’t just do it for all of them.

building tunnels was a nightmare, and building bridges wasn’t much better. Haven’t played the game in years, but I’m sure there were many, many other horrible interface design choices.

• EsotericReverie says:

I’m playing RCT (3) with my son now, actually, and yes, there are a few really unintuitive and non-standard interface choices, such as Escape always opening the Exit Game? dialog rather than, say, cancelling the edit tool you’ve got active at the moment. And a few other little niggles like that. It really is a very polished game in many other respects, though.

Also, I do believe you can set all your stalls to copy settings from one of the others. Not sure about cucumbers, particularly, though. :)

• SuicideKing says:

Well yes, it looks like RCT in 3D, though i can see the devs have replied above.

3. Thermometer says:

Awesome to see this kickstarter get an exclusive article here :) I have been following the game development so far on The TIG Source forums (beware: alot of game dev technical stuff ). Seems promising to have a modern-day Rollercoaster Tycoon-like game made by an indie dev.

Hopefully this turns out like another Kickstarter success. Also, if Atari screws the RCT: World game up (Simcity 2013 pitfalls maybe?), we would have this one to play.

4. Artificial says:

The art style are too minimalist for my liking. It looks a lot like RCT but less detailed and a lot less interesting to look at. This genre is crying out for an HD version of RCT though.

FriendlyFire says:

I don’t think it’s too minimalist, it just doesn’t have much… style at all. It’s the sort of art I’d expect to see as placeholders in a lot of games. The colors are a bit off, the models lack charm.

• Hunchback says:

Oh yes, please please some make a real, modern-graphics, serious, full-scale and awesome remake of RTC or Theme Park!

Theme park is probably my most favouritest(yes, i went there) game ever, even if it’s probably based on 80% nostalgia. I still remember the opening video and building my first bouncing castle.
      That and Theme Hospital, which is probably the best management game ever created. Why won’t anyone make one of these nowadays, is there really no interest in this kinda thing? I’d play my ass off if someone made a new Theme Hospital, with the same homour and all. It’s all Assassin’s Creed and CoD and 4x clones nowadays :/

• jonfitt says:

I like the minimalist style. Sim games are all about the quality of the simulation for me. The you’re playing with a mechanism which needs to be detailed enough to be interesting, but the data needs to be presented clearly, and the interface needs to be straight-forward. It can look great, but if the simulation is flawed it’s not going to be a good game in the long run (see the recent SimCity).

• satsui says:

It’s a prototype.

airknots says:

You can also build rollercoasters in this game right? So far, it seems like a RollerCoaster Tycoon Lite. Just an idea… make sure that the coasters are rideable and add Oculus Rift support. It’s a feature that would set you apart from RollerCoaster Tycoon.

• satsui says:

They just added wooden roller coasters this past week, but you’ll be able to build roller coasters. Some of what you see in the trailer is colors on the track. You’ll be able to see how many G’s certain sections have. There will be plenty of other rides too.

6. P4p3Rc1iP says:

I’ve been in contact with the devs after the interactive trailer didn’t work on my pc, and we ended up having a nice discussion about Kickstarter (Which we plan to start for Convoy in a few weeks too).
    Anyway, these guys are great, and I really want a new RCT (I don’t trust Atari…).

They have my pledge! :D

7. Ejia says:

Perhaps someone out there is interested in making a newer Theme Hospital-ish game as well.

Hospital Tycoon? What’s that? I don’t believe it exists.

Chaz says:

Now when I saw that name and glanced at that image my brain instantly thought of those car parks for toy cars, much like one I bought for my nephew one Christmas. I thought cool a game where you build car parks for little cars. Oh it’s a theme park building game. Not so interested now. Don’t ask me why a game where you build elaborate multistory car parks would be more interesting to me than one where you build theme parks, because I don’t know the answer to that.

9. smr1973 says:

Man. It’s 2014 and there are still games being made that only have 90-degree angle pathing? I don’t think there’s a straight pathway in all of Great America (closest amusement park to me).

Comment on this story