Make Your Own Myth: Moon Hunters

By Adam Smith on August 28th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

There was a time when I thought Puzzle Quest and the like formed a signpost pointing to a bright future, in which themes and genres would become the bricks in a huge architectural toy chest. Who wouldn’t want to play a pinball game in which highscores and skillshots translate into the bank balance and item unlocks for a family of Sim-like Little Computer People? Or a game in which solving logic puzzles makes a car go faster and faster and faster until Lewis Hamilton throws a strop.

When I first read about Moon Hunters, I thought it would be something along those lines. Play a puzzle thing with some RPG-lite conventions attached to it and ‘construct’ a mythology. Then I watched the Kickstarter pitch video (it’s already funded) and gawped in amazement.

Why, that looks like a top-down action RPG as delicious as Titan Souls, with optional co-op for up to four players, and this whole myth-making malarkey balanced on top like a succulent cherry. Here’s the skinny:

An ancient, occult world: the gods and their creations yet walk among us, and our prayers do not always go unanswered, for better or for worse.

Local co-op like never before: playing alone is fully supported. But if you invite your friends, you won’t just be bashing enemies, you’ll be creating legends together.

Build your mythology: Your actions show if you are more of a Trickster or a Saviour or something else entirely. At the end of your journey worthy heroes become a constellation in the night sky, your deeds recounted for the ages.

Different worlds, persistent myths: Seeing one aspect of the mystery in its entirety only takes a couple of hours, but to truly understand what’s happened, you’ll need to play a few times. Meanwhile, each time you play, the constellation of your character’s legend carries over, as part of your tribe’s developing pantheon.

Short-form playthroughs attached to a longer meaningful persistent world, or character. That’s another signpost to a possible future, I reckon. The Kickstarter hit its target of forty five thousand Canada Bucks in no time at all (a couple of days) but an extra fifty grand would see the addition of online multiplayer for the PC version.

The game is linked with the Square Enix Collective. The developers spoke to Cinema Blend about that particular kettle of kokopu.

Now as far as Short and the rest of the crew at Kitfox Games are concerned, this is basically just free publicity for the team and the game, as they’ve received more than 300 sign-ups for the e-mail newsletter just by being on The Collective. It’s a heck of a lot of more beneficial than no support at all. Short also states that The Collective has been nothing but good to them.

Let’s hunt the moon.

, , , .

1. RedViv says:

That lousy wastrel moon had it coming for a long time! *sharpens great axe*

2. Bobka says:

I think the whole myth-building idea could turn out to be really interesting, and I like the aesthetic feel of the world they’ve got going, so I backed it. The fact that they’re an indie studio in my home province doesn’t hurt.

3. acheron says:

“Who wouldn’t want to play a pinball game in which highscores and skillshots translate into the bank balance and item unlocks for a family of Sim-like Little Computer People? ”

!!!

Have you started your Kickstarter for this yet? Or maybe you have a newsletter to which I can subscribe?

4. amateurviking says:

Gosh, I really should browse kickstarter more. This looks absolutely lovely.

• Bobka says:

Honestly though, most of the games you only find by browsing Kickstarter don’t look worth the money or anticipation (at least not to me). All the really interesting KS projects I’ve discovered and backed have been touched on in various media outlets (I discovered Moon Hunters when the Square Enix Collective thing was first announced, for instance).

It would be easier if KS let you sort game projects by platform, funding target, and so on, but since it’s a general-purpose site I don’t see that happening any time soon.

5. aliksy says:

This looks really neat. I hope they get to the online coop tier. Most of my friends don’t live very close.

6. sicanshu says:

Hmm, the game looks to have some potential, but I think I’d be more interested if you’d used the live version of “I’ll Shoot the Moon.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TS6vZycbnA

7. JFS says:

This reminds me of that “XCOM with fantasy heroes and genes” game that was on Kickstarter. Massive Chalice? Was that its name? Whatever became of it?

I’ll have to google.