Suspicious Mind: Sherlock Holmes – Crimes & Punishments

By Adam Smith on August 29th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

A new trailer for Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments demonstrates the manner in which a conversation with the great detective plays out. It’s impossible to lie to him, essentially – tell him that you’re feeling good about yourself for the first time in six months, and he’ll spot some lint nestling in the fabric of your cuff and use it as an excuse to deconstruct your frame of mind, pummelling you with the blunt edge of facts until good feelings are slumped, bloody by your side. I loved the depiction of Holmes in the previous Frogwares game, which also featured the most perfectly rendered dog dick I’ve ever seen. The trailer shows an interrogation, which involves spotting details and clues rather than interpreting a series of looping gurns and sneers.

Making a deduction based on the telegram sticking out of the chap’s pocket does feel a bit like ‘guessing’ a clerk’s name and then revealing that you saw it on the nametag they’re wearing, but Holmes is still a hero in my book. Good to see Manchester making a cameo appearance as well.

The previous game was a thoroughly decent adventure and a surprisingly grisly one. If Crimes & Punishments can raise the bar even a little and integrate its ‘consequences’ system effectively, it could be a real treat. Out September 30th.

, , , .

Top comments

1. waltC says:

I must confess, not being myself a connoisseur of dog penile apparatus, that if I spied one “imperfectly rendered” I would scarcely know the difference, and feel very disinclined to admit or otherwise comment on it.

Big Murray says:

How many dog dicks have you seen rendered in your role as a professional games journalist?

2. Henson says:

Did…did they re-cast the voice actor for Watson? Am I not to hear his plummy befuddlement anymore? O woe betide!

Seriously, though, it’s kinda impressive how much these games seem to be improving over the years. I played Testament and, as silly as it could be, it had quite a bit more to recommend it than I expected.

3. stiffkittin says:

The voice acting in this sounds splendid. I’m definitely tempted.

slerbal says:

Likewise. I’ve wishlisted it and will follow its reviews with close scrutiny. The truth will be induced from unconnected clues!

4. Curratum says:

The wife is a Sherlock nut and we play through every new Sherlock game that Frogwares make, starting with The Awakened. I feel like every single installment has JUST enough good things in it to outweigh the tedious pixel hunting and the puzzles that make no sense or clue you in the wrong direction, which are also present in every single game, all the way to Testament. Fingers crossed that this is a little better!

Comment on this story