Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Trailer Comes In Peace

Gratuitous Space inspired gratuitous Wikipedia information.

I’ve spent untold hours watching back replays of my own Supreme Commander games, taking the opportunity to slow-down or speed-up time, watch maneuvers by my opponents I missed the first time around, and to marvel at the bombastic laser wars that eventually decide each match.

Gratuitious Space Battles is that whole process as an entire game: you build a fleet, design the ships, and then click go to watch a spectacular hands-off space battle. The sequel seems determined to make those battles more spectacular than ever, as demonstrated by this new trailer. Such pretty lasers and explosions.

“A wise man once said, ‘If you want peace, prepare for war.'” A wise man, eh? I’ll be the judge of that. According to Wikipedia, the adage derives from the Latin phrase “Si vis pacem, para bellum”, which is credited to “Book 3 of Latin author Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus’s tract De Re Militari”. Not much is known about Vegetius’s life, but aside from his tome of military strategy, he also wrote a book about veterinary medicine that was mostly focused on the care of horses and cattle. The text of that book is available as a scan on archive.org.

Using Google Translate, I ported the line: “Si nec ipsos appetit, quia omnem cibum recusat, fabam moles et convertes in pollinem, farinam quoque triticeam pariter admiscebis et cum mulsa per cornu ad substantiam animali tam diu faucibus eius infundes, donec cibos virides appetat, quos aqua marina vel salsa oportet aspergi.” It comes out as:

“If you do not own desires, because all the food declines, the amount of beans and turn into powder, mix together the flour and wheat, and with honey by the horn to his mouth giving substance to an animal for so long, until the meat green desires, which must be sprinkled with sea water or salt water.”

Which sounds pretty smart! Good job, Gratuitous Space Battles 2 trailer. I – and history, I guess – agree with your assessment.

There’s information, screenshots and videos of the in-development game through at the Gratuitous Space Battles site, including this previously linked nine-minute talkthrough of some of the new visual effects. The game’s aimed at release before the end of the year, but if you can’t wait you’ll have a chance to see it at EGX London next weekend.

I couldn’t think of any space-related jokes this time around, but isn’t the internet full of wonderful knowledge?

1. MajorFordson says:

I would really like to see a smaller fleet, story sort of mode. Instead of simply min-maxing a generic fleet of ships, it would be so great to have a smaller fleet battle to battle. So your rag tag fighter carrier suffered damage in the previous battle and your engineers had to scrap the wrecked forward turrets, which you have replaced with hastily bolted armour or a spare shield generator you had. You couldn’t just buy shining new stuff. Give the game a sort of FTL vibe, almost like the Rebel fleet in Star Wars, or how Han Solo has to make do patching up his ship.

2. Tei says:

This looks gloriously like GSB 2, in the software sense of Bigger Better Badder and with nice new subsystems.

I hope Cliff go creative with the enviroment dangers. I want to play a mission in a area infested with rogue drones, that use the rest of destroyed ships to create more drones. And a mission with a rain of asteroids. A mission near a blackhole or on the surface of the sun :D

3. yusefsmith says:

So, is this about a video game, or about how clever you are?

John Walker says:

It’s about your mum.

• DrollRemark says:

Oooooooooooohhhhhhh.

• yusefsmith says:

One paragraph about how you like to watch your own games. 3 paragraphs about translating Latin. One paragraph about video games.

• DrollRemark says:

It’s a video, for a game.

“Here is a video for a game. If you like games, maybe you should watch this. Unless you don’t like this kind of game, or are busy. In which case, don’t. Thanks!”

Jeez, let the man flex some writerly spirit once in a while.

• soulblur says:

This is precisely what some of us are here for.

• SuicideKing says:

And a video for you to watch.

• Molay says:

Isn’t this exact thing the reason why you read RPS instead of [insert generic PC gaming website name]? I for one love their articles, they are informative enough, and when there’s little to talk about they tend to be silly enough for me to giggle at them.

• souroldlemon says:

That hit my funny bone at just the right angle.

4. DrollRemark says:

Where have the previous/next article links gone?

5. peterako1989 says:

what always bugged me with the first game were the ship desings. they felt uninspired and it seems thats also the case here.

tigerfort says:

One of the new features in GSB2 is the ability to design your own ships. There’s a demonstration/dev-diary about the ship editor here.

6. bills6693 says:

Si vis pacem, para bellum (If you want peace, prepare for war) is also the motto of the Royal Navy…