Layoff And Dismissal: Human Resources Cancelled

After studying key performance indicators, applying performance improvement procedures, and following a robust phase of knowledge implementation, developer Uber Entertainment has decided going forward to suspend work on the Human Resources Kickstarter.

That means that it’s cancelled. The strategy game was shooting for $1,400,000 with which to pit Cthulhu-esque old ones against Skynet-esque robots, but after a little over two weeks it had become clear that it wasn’t going to hit its target.

This glossary of human resource terminology is useful.

Uber explained their decision in a Kickstarter update.

Every Kickstarter prediction model is showing that we will come up woefully short of our goal. Running a Kickstarter is a full time job for several people. As a small indie, we can’t continue spending time and money focusing on a project that won’t get funded. We simply don’t have the human resources. #seewhatididthere

#idoseewhatyoudidthere

An earlier post, also made yesterday, shows some of the graphs which back up the decision. Despite a recent increase in pledges, the project was still pulling in less than half the daily amount required to ever reach its funding goal.

This was Uber Entertainment’s second trip to the Kickstarter well, with the first being the RTS Planetary Annihilation. That game cleared its $900,000 target easily, riding a rocket-propelled globe with a mantle of crowdfunding optimism and a magnetic core of nostalgia for Total Annihilaiton. A couple of years later, times have changed: people are more cynical of crowdfunding campaigns; people have always been less likely to fund new ideas than spiritual successors; and players and reviewers weren’t altogether happy with what the team delivered with Planetary Annihilation.

Whether any of those things are responsible, or whether the idea simply didn’t grab people, is hard to tell. The original pitch video, which contained a concept render of the game, is still viewable over on Adam’s preview and interview with its developers. If reading about it makes it sounds interesting to you – and it did to me – then there’s still some small sliver of hope, as the Kickstarter goodbye post mentions that the team will try to find other ways to make Human Resources a reality. But if I had to guess, I’d say this was the end of the line.

1. c-Row says:

I don’t think Kickstarter cynicism wasn’t the problem. Launching their KS campaign while the official release of Planetary Annihilation was receiving all the negative reviews it could get was.

I still like the concept in general but Uber really have burned much of their credibility with PA. Let’s hope someone takes the idea and runs with it.

• Anthile says:

There’s also the thing that people claim Uber abandoned both MNC and SMNC, and fear they’re doing the same now with PA. Basically the Hi-Rez situation all over again.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Yeah, I started smelling something off (like hubris or greed) when I read: As a small indie, we can’t continue spending time and money focusing on a project that won’t get funded. We simply don’t have the human resources.

So, Planetary Annihilation isn’t exactly done, yet you’re still willing to divert manpower away from that to a new Kickstarter project.. when you don’t have that much manpower to begin with?

• Cinek says:

PA will be in state good-enough in before Xmas. Heck – for me it’s already good enough though concerns people have are reasonable. They’re a studio that needs money to live, not a one-man dev doing whatever he feels like in his basement with next to no costs. So it’s perfectly understandable that they want to keep on going and develop a new game, unless you’re ready to start paying for PA patches (read: future development of a game)

• rusty5pork says:

MNC was pretty much a complete game, but they DID abandon SMNC.

• mouton says:

Hirez is privately funded, though. The fellow in charge burned millions he earned doing something actually profitable before deciding he wanted to make video games. They abandoned projects after they got really lossy, too. Of course, many of their mistakes contributed to the loss, but I don’t blame them for not being suicidal.

• Carighan Maconar says:

That’s what I’m thinking, too. Also lots of negative press over starting a kickstarter when the primary issue of PA is that it feels unfinished.

Really bad timing and bad decision overall with that new KS. Ofc, not sure where they’ll go from here. Paid expansions for PA?

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I’ve long had a theory that bad games can sell well but will cost you for your next game, even if that’s good. That games are often not judged on their merits, but by the appreciation of the previous one. Basically, you can fool some people most of the time but most people only some of the time. You’re only as good as your last game. Etc.

The way to get past a bad game and not have it hit sales of the next would be to simply fix the old one first. One of the reasons Blizzard does so well.

Shame, though. From what I’ve seen, this idea looked cool.

• shoptroll says:

I think there’s a saying in the industry to the effect of “you’re only as good as your last game”

• MadTinkerer says:

Kind of like how Peter Molyneux puts out dozens of the greatest classics ever and then people hate him for “promising” too many features that were cut from Fable games.

• ferdinand says:

And the Black & White games. So he puts out a few classics and then begins a miss streak that has not stopped. When Bullfrog died the classics stopped.

• Excelle says:

I don’t see the previous Kickstarter as the issue here. In my history of gaming, I’ve never really played two RTS games in parallel, definitely not two similar ones like these. The only exception I can think of is TA and Age of Empires, but they are very different games.

When this Kickstarter came out, I looked at it and thought “This looks cool, but I literally just got v1.0 of PA, why do I need it?”. And hence I didn’t back it. If they’d asked for funding for this in two years time, then maybe.

They were eating into their own audience. And I don’t mean with giant Cthulhu-esque monsters either.

• BlueTemplar says:

I fail to see similarities between PA and HR? They feel more different to me than TA from Age of Empires…

• Excelle says:

Well you’ve got me there. They’re not that similar, although they are both resource-based RTSs at heart.

I still stand by my one-RTS-at-a-time theory though. It’s just that I don’t have the spare time I had when I was 16 to play even two very different RTSs at once :)

• wu wei says:

Wouldn’t development on HR have taken at least a year before release?

• Excelle says:

True, but I don’t expect to be done with PA in a year. Especially since there’s new features to come.

• Joibel says:

I was in the same position. I backed PA and was disappointed by the current state. I prefer supreme commander 1 to it. I do need to spend more time. Had PA not existed I would have backed this. As it is, I have enough to learn with PA, and need to get past the disappointment it currently provides before I’ll give them more money, especially in advance.

• Xunzul says:

This is definetely a scam marketing(kickstarter). First they make a demo to attract people to found the project(a demo video definetely better than game and totally different) and after that they get the money and close the project without responsability and totally free. This is the new scam market, where you people pay for something doesn’t exist. This type of markets must close, this legal scam must end.

2. Lars Westergren says:

Black Glove is probably doomed too.

There is still a small chance that Case of Charles Dexter Ward can make it, but it’s not looking good.
    *sadface*

link to kickstarter.com

In happier news, Cinemaware’s “Wings” is out (but not yet on Steam). Anyone tried it? The old Amiga version was soo good.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Got it on Gog it is amazingly even better than the original. Flight feels the same, there’s a voiceover on the journal screens now, nothing from the original is missing – just has better graphics and sound. From what i’ve played so far it seems that the flight engine is improved in the following ways.

Enemy planes no longer take ridiculous amounts of damage compared with you
      It seems much harder, to end up in a midair collision
      Guns don’t seem to stay jammed for as long as they used to

Bombing is much more fun being able to use a joypad with separate buttons for guns and bombs (not accidentally dropping a bomb by pressing down and fire, and easier to aim bombs) but strafing is just as annoying as it ever was :)

• Oozo says:

I can’t help feeling bad whenever a Kickstarter fails… it always smells of broken dreams.

At the same time, “The Flame in the Flood” easily cleared its target, as did “Elegy for a Dead World” — and those are two new games, too, one even by a new studio. Of course, they did ask for a lot less, but it shows that for the right project of the right size, Kickstarter is still an option.

I personally wanted to like “Black Glove”, but I have to admit that the pitch felt a bit confused, and like pretty window dressing for mechanics that seemed to be unclear and/or not that interesting. Couldn’t get myself to pitch, and I’m usually pretty easily convinced.

• Alien426 says:

I completely agree. Only after watching the Black Glove video twice do I *think* I know what it’s about. Everything about the project seems to suggest they want to continue with the production values of Irrational, but also make the gameplay more esoteric and artsy than BioShock.

The Molasses Flood seem much more aware of what Kickstarter projects should be like. People have seen (too) many big/ambitious projects fail to deliver.

• Caiman says:

Not only is The Flame in the Flood a far more interesting looking game compared with The Black Glove, it’s also a much better Kickstarter pitch. The Black Glove just doesn’t seem that interesting; it’s aesthetic is too Fort Frolic, and I’m not convinced there’s much game there.

As for Human Resources, I think it’s far more interesting than Planetary Annihilation, but a) it was foolish to pitch this while people were vocally unhappy with the “release” state of PA, b) the pitch was great but very little happened after that from what I can see, and c) the timing seems terrible given that we’re facing a gaming tsunami of epic proportions right now, so the idea of Kickstarting more really has zero interest at the moment.

3. shinygerbil says:

Perhaps they should start a Kickstarter for Super Monday Night Combat – a game which they simply left to die after seeing dollar signs with Planetary Annihilation.

• heyhellowhatsnew says:

Amen, it’s amazing how people forget this. I’m so happy this happened to them. It couldn’t happen to better people. They were scammers, pure and simple that left games to die after the cash in. I feel no pity for them. It’s Karma. Enjoy it.

• Carighan Maconar says:

Yes but unlike PA, the concept just wasn’t that good. It added really unnecessary and overbearing amounts of MOBA elements to an otherwise great TF2-like which had some light laning elements. Then instead of embracing their positive press over MNC, they went full-on “We got to do what LOL does” and created something which Smite just did worlds better later on.

And if HiRez of all studios out-does you, you know you did something wrong. :P

• shinygerbil says:

Well, they definitely lost their way with SMNC – but I think it was a good concept. I haven’t put that much time into a game since, well, probably Team Fortress Classic. Or maybe Street Fighter.

Fun fact: I still have people in my friends list who play SMNC daily. I’ve made some very good friends through SMNC also.

Towards the end they basically started mass-producing hats and not really doing much else. Many of the community were very loudly against this (and rightly so) while remaining intensely passionate about the game itself but Uber would only say, “we’re concentrating on where the money is; we need the money to continue developing the game.”

Of course, because the game was buggy and unfinished, people were not as willing to put in so much cash. Cue Uber slowing down the development, turning more people off….the cycle ended in the death of a game which *could* have been at least as good as Smite. (That sounds like somewhat damning praise, but it’s not meant to be. As you say, the fact that they ended up aspiring to the dizzy heights of Smite speaks volumes.)

I’m sure the guys at Uber are cool people, but they don’t seem to realise that they are asking for nearly ONE AND A HALF MILLION DOLLARS from strangers in the Internet, and seem less than grateful for any support that they actually do receive for anything that they do.

I still hope and pray for SMNC to return – even though it never will – but my good will for them has long since run out.

Argh SMNC makes me angry now :(

• dontnormally says:

Monday Night Combat (no Super, the version for consoles) was much better.
        I was really disappointed in their F2P crap version for PC.

4. Frosty840 says:

Well, considering how most of the people who would’ve backed it are the same people who are currently feeling pretty burned by Planetary Annihilation, I can’t really see how they ever expected to get this funded in the first place.
    Sure, all the people still playing PA are probably pretty happy, and they’ll probably turn up here to defend the game, but I backed it, I wasn’t happy with the result, and I don’t really feel like backing another Kickstarter by the same people while the game’s still not in a state I’m happy with.

Obviously, that’s an enormous Catch-22 for the developers —they can’t go pissing off all the people who are happy with the game just because I don’t like it— but I suspect that this is going to be an issue for a lot of developers trying to crowdfund a second game. There are always going to be a portion of backers for whom expectations and the finished product are very far apart; far more in a crowdfunding scenario than there would have been if the same game had gone through a traditional concept-to-publisher-to-previews-to-reviews-to-release process.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Perhaps they should make sure games they make are polished and have sufficient content before abandoning them. That might help. A lot of devs continue adding content and such to already released games.

• Frosty840 says:

I completely agree with that. Unfortunately, it seems to me that these are a group of very cut-and-run developers, so it rather seems to me that the general dissatisfaction with PA means they’re even less likely to fix it with DLC (the idea that they’d fix the game with a patch doesn’t really seem likely at this point).

• BlueTemplar says:

Indeed. Look at Kerberos Productions : after Sword of the Stars 2 (and Fort Zombie?) you could have expected them to go the way of NovaCore Studios (Legends of Pegasus), but instead they are at their 3rd crowdfunded game : link to indiegogo.com (especially considering only the latest out of 5 tries (1/2 per game : kickstarter & indiegogo) to crowdfund technically “succeeded” by bringing the asked money!)
        Funny how $20k projects seem to end up to fare better by this metric than $1M ones… I guess it’s about player expectations and developers being a lot more careful with the money when they don’t have a lot to start with?

5. MeestaNob says:

The lack of a single player campaign was the reason I didn’t back this. It’s also the same reason I didn’t back or buy Planetary Annihilation.

Human Resources appealed to me more, however I just don’t have the interest in learning to be good enough at a game to find it fun against others online.

• Chiron says:

It seems like few devs wants to really touch singe player games unless its a sandbox these days, sp is always thrown in as an after thought or a concession to the players rather than as an integral part of the game experience.

This makes me very sad.

• Carighan Maconar says:

Which is a shame, because in theory PA could support really great single player. The relatively simplistic and artsy graphics design suits custom units well, can be rapidly developed and added.

• Kamalen says:

Well, you know, single player modes without sandbox features is quite a low profit content because ultra-low replay value. Things like Call of Duty can do it (and, at this point, their linear BOOM campaign is quite a signature) because $$$.

PA have got a big 2m$ from kickstarter, it’s still nowhere near the 100/200+ m$ Activision/EA put in every big game.

• Sian says:

The games I back on Kickstarter are almost exclusively singleplayer only or at least singleplayer focused. The traditionally funded games I buy are the same or have a very strong singleplayer component. There’s plenty of games out there that aren’t focused on multiplayer.

• FriendlyFire says:

An RTS campaign generally requires a fair amount of resources which are not reusable in MP or in future games using the same engine, so I can understand why devs aren’t too attracted by it. The one non-AAA RTS that’s done a campaign of late is Ancient Space, and it seems like having to do that gutted the game of everything else.

• Gap Gen says:

Having tried Galactic War, yeah, I expected something a bit more. As it is, having random units removed is weird – normally campaigns slowly drip units in to give you a chance to learn them bit by bit, but this just throws you in and makes you fight an enemy who does have access to the units you don’t. I was stomping over enemies when I attacked a planet with something like six enemy commanders on it and got steamrollered and died, and the campaign ended (I guess maybe you’re supposed to mop up before heading for the enemy home planet?)

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yep, my big issue with it too. The galactic war thing was so underwhelming compared to a decent single player campaign. I’m not exactly stellar at RTS games, I’d certainly need a decent amount of time playing single player in a game before I go anywhere near multiplayer games and with a single player that boring, there is no way it was ever going to happen.

• BlueTemplar says:

You can make very interesting “sandboxes”. Example : most 4X games, Endless Legend being probably the best latest example.

You don’t necessarily need a full-fledged single-player campaign for a good game (example : DOTA2)
        (Of course that’s going to leave out the players that mainly desire a good story first out of a game.)

I feel that the issue with PA is that they just didn’t spend nearly enough effort on the actual gameplay.

6. Darksaber says:

In addition to what everyone else is going to come in and say about PA being disappointing, labelled as done when it wasn’t, and other such things, I got a really bad SimCity vibe from everything they were saying about single player modes. I would feel comfortable saying that a healthy portion of RTS players don’t go for multiplayer, they just enjoy building big armies and throwing them at things – I know I certainly enjoy that part the most. So if you’re treating even a simple offline skirmish mode as something that has to be a stretch goal and you’re asking for 1.4 million, I’m going to be real skeptical.

The tone of their updates recently wasn’t the best either.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

They have a real tool as their PR guy. During one of the development live-streams he started talking about his workout routine for no reason.

7. Tom De Roeck says:

Im happy with planetary annihiliation. Dont quite get the “OMG IT SUX” reviews.

• Jade Raven says:

Yeah I’m mostly happy with it too, but you couldn’t say “OMG IT’S FINISHED”.

• RedViv says:

It’s okay. It was not released in a shape that it should have been released in, I guess. Plus, telling people that you won’t abandon PA in favour of Human Resources, when you told them SMNC would not be abandoned and left to rot when developing PA but then did just that… Yeah. Of course people are going to be highly cautious by then. Kickstarters successes at 1.5 million bucks aren’t really a thing any more either.

• Vandelay says:

I liked it too and happy with what we got. It may not be the most polished game, but it is far more stable and less buggy than many other bigger budgeted games.

I thought it had done okay critically too? The only complaint I normally see is that it is really hard. Which it is. It is a niche game and thought the critical response was pretty much that.

• BlueTemplar says:

The main issue is that while it does add the whole planetary gimmick, otherwise it’s (currently) a much worse game than (some of) the other Total Annihilation-like games.

• ferdinand says:

I wanted a successor to Forged Alliance. I only play skirmish and have been doing that for 7 years. But PA does not have pause and can’t slow down time like TA and FA have. If they would have told everybody the truth that PA would be a multiplayer only game that only vaguely resembles TA they would not have this angry response(and probably failed that PA kickstarter).
        If you asked me to buy PA now for $10 I wouldn’t.

• BlueTemplar says:

PA *does* have pause (though giving orders while paused is complicated because of the annoying *PAUSE* overlay in the middle of the screen), and now that offline mode is in, the game speed controls will hopefully follow.

samsharp99 says:

I was pretty sad this didn’t get funded – I thought it was a great original game concept, the style of the game looked amazing and as someone who didn’t really play PA or SMNC I didn’t really feel personally ‘burned’ by the developer. I hope they still manage to turn it into something as it would be a shame if it got lost.

As for SP in RTS games – I agree that it should be there, but I can see why it’s not attractive for developers to implement as it means you have to create a whole AI system and make it suitably challenging for a wide variety of player skill levels – if it’s PvP you just create the game and the rules (and perhaps a matchmaking system) and let players get on with it. That’s just for skirmishes…if you have a campaign as well then that adds a whole heap of extra assets, scripting etc. If you create a successful MP, players will be playing that for 100s of hours versus the (completely guesstimated) 10-20 or so hours they’ll play the SP.

• bills6693 says:

But:

a) does it matter how many hours they play it for? If I buy a £20 and play it for 20 hours campaign and another 10 hours SP skirmish, then leave, the developer got £20. If I buy it and play 200 hours multiplayer, the developer got £20. The got nothing more out of it. In fact, its possible they have to host servers etc and so my 200 hours is actually eating into that money!

And if I bought the game and enjoyed it with that 30 hours of campaign and skirmish, I’d be likely to buy a DLC that expanded the game with new units, a new campaign etc, so I don’t think you’re necessarily losing DLC sales, although maybe.

If you make your game MP only thats not going to make me spend 200 hours playing MP, its going to make me not buy the game. Just as if you make it SP only its not going to make some people play 30 hours, they’re just not going to buy the game because they just want MP. Really its down to what market are you aiming for, but I feel that if you only do one or the other you are losing a lot of potential players…

• Optimaximal says:

The point is, there *is* AI – there’s a whole single-player Galactic War thing.

The issue is the current trend with non-Blizzard RTS is that rather than curating a nice plot-driven experience, developers tend to just create a droll procedurally-driven meta-game because it’s less time consuming to create – just knock together a reliable enough system, set some arbitrary goals and release it.

The fact that even Relic ended up doing it with the bloody DoW franchise says it all. See also: Total War

9. heyhellowhatsnew says:

Also, once again RPS again gives Uber a pass on their shadiness. When are you going to mention what they did with Monday Night Combat and Super Monday Night Combat? The complete shade they did with PA that had them FINALLY put in off-line because they knew their Kickstarter for their next scam was failing.

RPS, i’m continually disappointed with this because you speak truth to power, one of the things I have always admired about this site and why it’s one of the two video game websites I read because you not only call out corrupt shit, but you call our sexism and bigotry.

Again, why do you continually give Uber a pass?

• Gap Gen says:

What did they do with (S)MNC? I read the weird thing about bitcoin mining (which, btw, isn’t worth the power bill unless you’re using hacked zombie machines to do the job for you).

• shinygerbil says:

They took a half-finished game with fantastic potential, which was sorely in need of patching and improving in order to reach this potential, and decided that it was good enough to start producing and selling various useless cosmetics “in order to fund development”. They then stopped development completely on the game, while still promising weekly updates, claiming that not enough money was rolling in to support them. And acted like it was somehow the community’s fault for not buying enough hats.

They had enough money to put together the Kickstarter for PA at the same time, though.

In short: moneygrabbers of the highest order; big on promises and short on delivery.

• padger says:

But if a game is not making money, how can you continue developing it? SMNC was mediocre to start with, you can hardly blame a company for giving up and moving on when it didn’t work. (Especially when it was F2P!)

• Sian says:

They had been working on the galactic war earlier than the Kickstarter for HR was running. It was announced before the KS campaign even started. So no, that’s not the reason they put singleplayer in.

• Thrippy says:

I don’t know that Uber is shady. Uber’s CEO stated on Reddit last summer they lost millions on SMNC. Because that seems so straightforwardly falsifiable, I do tend to believe it. In general though, having the servers up on a F2P game without updating creates a horrible impression that can damage reputation over time if left to fester.

To me this is a more pressing issue than the resistance to throw any amount of bad money after good. Not when so little could go so far towards restoring good will and generating free publicity above and beyond any cross promotion Steam items.

Same (will) apply to PA.

I’ve witnessed this all or nothing resistance before. Sierra. R.I.P. For whatever reasons, a local maxima becomes an inescapable rut. In sharp contrast, anyone, right now, can witness the astonishing power of freshly baked updates to sustain an unwarranted level of public interest. It’s called the Google Play store. People will play anything as long as continues to carry the perception of NEW.

I suspect a great many people would love to see Human Resources re-presented with a more proportionate seeming sticker price.

10. Malfeas says:

I honestly couldn’t believe what they tried to pull with that Kickstarter.
    1,4M$? After PA feels unfinished and they already have the engine done?
    With a preliminary release date of February 2015?
    Are you kidding me?
    That’s so insanely obvious, I’d almost believe they were trolling, if there wasn’t so much money at stake.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yeah excellent point. How exactly was 1.4 million going to be spent between then and now when 900k for PA took them a couple of years to burn through and they are, self admittedly a “small indie without the human resources”.

• Xocrates says:

They were taking 90$ pre-orders pretty much as soon as the kickstarter ended, and were on Steam’s top sellers as soon as it went into early access (also at 90$ a pop). I would be very surprised if they didn’t spend well over twice as much as what they got on the kickstarter to develop the full game.

The question is not how they would spend 1.4 mil between now and February, thee question is how would they come even close to finish the game in that time.

samsharp99 says:

Yeah, I’d wondered about that as well. I know the art style is pretty unique so lots of work required there but if they’re using an existing engine I would have expected it to be less work than PA (but of course I know very little about these things! :D )

• Eery Petrol says:

The only estimated release date I find on the Kickstarter page is not 2015 but instead February 20016, which sounds a lot more reasonable.

• Malfeas says:

I did check it multiple times because a date of February of 2015 really confused me. I thought I had seen that date but I’m not confident enough about that to claim they changed it. I may very well have simply misremembered it., so just in case, I apologize.

11. Cinek says:

I would totally fund this game if it’d have a fully fledged single player mode.
    But… another multiplayer title? Thanks, but no thanks.

12. Hypnotron says:

maybe Uber will sell off it’s assets and a better developer can realize the potential of the IP.

I think PA and HR are really good conceptually.

• Gap Gen says:

I will say I love the look of PA – the cartoony units, moons and planets moving from day to night as they orbit the star, an occasional glimpse of other worlds in the sky as they orbit wait why is that moon getting bigger WHY IS THAT MOON GETTING BIGGER OSHITOSHITOSH-

13. Hex says:

Sucks when super sketchy developers have neat ideas for a game.

14. Hypocee says:

Sent them a message when deciding not to back. Aside from general wobbly history, they stated they were making it always-online multiplayer-only: worthless to me. I did and do appreciate them making it clear up front :/

15. JiminyJickers says:

The thing that really put the nail in the coffin for me was that they didn’t want to do an offline mode for Human Resources. They said it used the same engine as Planetary Annihilation but they kept spewing nonsense excuses why they couldn’t, or rather wouldn’t, do it for Human Resources.

I don’t buy games from large companies that do always online DRM and I sure won’t do it from Indie developers.

16. DrManhatten says:

This was the first high profile project (high profile = asking for more than 500k) since a very very long time basically the first one since the whole kickstarter hype has more or less vapourized. So I am not surprised to see it fail so badly + a lot of people are still angry about PA not really being finished yet. A bit of a shame as this one actually sounded far better than PA (currently) is.

17. Consumatopia says:

I was so excited by the idea of post-singularity AI vs. Cthulu, but then I was disappointed to find out it was just giant robots fighting giant tentacle things. I want a battle between infinite intelligence and infinite incomprehensibility! I want nanotech infections trying to hack cthulu’s brain only to go “native”. I want von-neumann probes trying to colonize a non-euclidean extradimensional plane of nightmares. I want the Elder Gods to rewrite mathematical constants so that robots are more prone to insanity. I want humans to constantly wonder if they’re trapped in a virtual simulation of an infinite torture fractal, or if they’ve gone to the Hell you go to after you die in Hell. I want all of that. I am a very entitled gamer.

• Malfeas says:

No THAT sounds like a game I’d want to play!

• BlueTemplar says:

Sounds easy! Now we only need to make the superhuman AI devs and the Elder Gods devs to collaborate, make a Kickstarter where you pledge your soul, and the game should be finished before the end of this eon!

18. AmazingPaper says:

I wished this would happen. Planetary Annihilation was just out of early access, but still did not feel like a finished product. The campaign screen is ridiculous and seems like a place holder graphic at best. The AI was unfinished, it still manages to get stuck at a rock in an otherwise open field. For some people the list goes on and on. So, naturally, people were angry when they announced their next project. How could they found a new project without properly delivering on their first? Their timing could not have been more off.

Make of it what you will, I hope that people decided to be less trustworthy because the first game just did not deliver and mainly because it just does not feel like a robust, finished product. I hope that consumers are finally voting with their wallet, instead of rants on the internet.

19. SteeleFin says:

Honesty it seemed like a cool idea but as a customer, some of the things Uber Entertainment has done has just left me feeling sour. The impression of greed is certainly one of them. $65 for early access for one. I test for a living so paying a company to so that I can test for them seems ridiculous . However, to support the concept, I still bought into early access. Showing a video of them having someone carve a moon out of wood and then smash it got me furious . If they really needed all that funding to make the game, they shouldn’t have had any to spare on stunts. The high price of DLC commanders which are nothing but different models also leaves one thinking that while initial intentions of making the game were good, in the end it felt like a money grab.

And while PA is playable and can be fun, it’s not a game I want to return to over and over again so really, no matter how great the concept, I had no interest in backing their games. This is coming from an avid strategy gamer who has been waiting for innovation in the genre for years.