Bientôt: Killing Floor 2 Due In Early Access This Month

Hey, it's me!

As luck would have it, I’ll be in Paris right when monstrous hordes are due to overrun the city. Tripwire Interactive have announced plans to release Killing Floor 2 [official site] onto Steam Early Access on April 21st, and I’ll be on the look out for – wait is that a lady with blue cyberhair in that screenshot – for myself?

The original was a barrel of murderfun, and I’m quite keen to return for more first-person face-shooting. Especially as one of the sequel’s big selling points is that faces (and other bodyparts) will explode in a squillion different gory ways.

Killing Floor is a bit messy by now, largely due to how well Tripwire have supported it over the past – gosh! – six years. The squillions of extra weapons and maps have kept players interested, but made it a mite overwhelming for me as a infrequent player. Whenever I pop in, I’m on maps I don’t know surrounded by weapons I haven’t seen wielded by people who’ve maxed out their characters. A clean slate sounds grand.

It’ll be a very clean slate indeed at launch, as Killing Floor 2 will initially only have a fraction of the original’s content. Here, look, they’ve updated the website to show which weapons, classes, monsters, and playable characters will be in the initial Early Access launch. It’ll also include the level editor.

It’ll cost £19.99/$29.99/€26.99.

If you fancy seeing more, here’s a full match from folks at RPS fan site PC Gamer:

1. Anthile says:

More like bienuntôt, no?

2. Jalan says:

The only game that had an exclusive skin released nearly a year before the game had any release date.

Part of me says “YES, YES, YES” while the other part sees Early Access and the EA price and says “NO, NO, NO”. If there’s not much of a single player experience to be had then I’ll likely sit it out and hawk on it when it hits a decent sale after it leaves Early Access.

• sharkh20 says:

It’s only 30 dollars american, not an EA price. I doubt it will have a singleplayer other than multiplayer by yourself. It’s the kind of game you can put thousands of hours into. They will add new free content all the time plus purchasable skins dlc if it’s anything like the first game. Seems like a good bargain to me.

• Jalan says:

Two things:

That price is definitely Early Access (though pretending like we have a benchmark for Early Access prices is a little strange, since so many titles have differed widely with their approaches – would I agree with the sentiment that Killing Floor 2’s Early Access price is somewhat more reasonable than other Early Access titles has been? Yes, I can’t argue otherwise). It may change to something higher when it leaves Early Access for all I know, then again it may not.

Just because TWI is known for doing free content updates doesn’t make them unassailable in their practices/etc. Not that I was particularly nitpicking them to begin with, but just because they offer free updates in addition to rolling out DLC doesn’t somehow make them exalted saints of indie gaming.

If you’re comfortable with its Early Access stamp, price tag and everything else – all the more fun for you (I’m certainly not saying my opinion applies universally to everyone else) in the early days of its release. These days I don’t find myself willing to spend what they’re asking unless I absolutely want to play a game in question and in this case, based on what’s been said will be available once it does launch in Early Access – the justification simply isn’t there for me. Once they make progress on it, I’ll likely re-evaluate my stance and proceed from there.

And by a single player experience, I meant exactly that – the ability to play comfortably without the presence of other players in the multiplayer setting – something that was possible (for the most part) in the first Killing Floor beyond them obnoxiously shoehorning in achievement based unlocks that either held prerequisite of decent solo skills or absolutely playing with others in order to accomplish.

• sharkh20 says:

I completely read that as Electronic Arts instead of early access as well. Sorry for the confusion.

• Vin_Howard says:

Yah, I don’t understand how you can say it’s “EA priced.” EA prices their game at $60 for very little content and a game they hope to kill a year later so you will buy the next game (why do you think they are so against mods?).

Tripwire, however, makes “medium-scale” games; aka, games with the production values of AAA but with a lot more content and actual fun in it instead of corporate bs. So of course they are going to be priced as a medium-scale game (Red Orchestra 2, from what I remember, cost like $40 or $50 on release)

• April March says:

That’s EA as in Early Access, not as in Electronic Arts.

3. Legion23 says:

Looking forward this game for quite some time but now is the moment of truth I guess: Will Tripwire self-censor itself again or not? If the game is censored for some in early access already I will pass.

4. Synesthesia says:

TWI does the best gunplay. I’m probably getting this one, I definitely milked a lot of hours out of the first one.

5. therighttoarmbears says:

PC Gamer: RPS fan-site. I saw what you did there, Ms. O’Connor, and I LOL’d. Thanks for the unexpected smile :)