Sonic 2 Hack Gives Hedgehog A Portal Gun

If you were a Mega Driver back in the day (or Genesis-er if you live Stateside) then you’ll know Sonic 2 was the best Sonic. The original Sonic the Hedgehog introduced the concept and set the tone, whilst Sonic 3 tried too hard with its dodgy boss melodies and pain-in-the-arse bonus levels. Anything after that was mince. Sonic 2 was the sweet spot in the series.

Why is this relevant here at RPS’s House-O-PCs, I hear you ask? A ROM hacker has given Sonic something very cool from our home: an Aperture Science portal gun.

The third annual Sonic Hacking Contest is underway, asking enthusiasts of the blue coloured hedgehog to manipulate his world in a manner of intuitive an interesting ways. Although designed in 2014, snkenjoi’s aptly-named Portal Gun In Sonic 2 mod is entered in this year’s contest and is over and above the best I’ve seen so far. You’ll need a Mega Drive emulator to play that, mind.

Besides the fact that working on classic console games on PC in this way is infinitely cool, the hack has been programmed amazingly well as it looks to nail the physics of portal-planting:

I’ve watched this longplay twice already today, and found that the parts that best demonstrate the gun in action fall on 2.53 and 22.30. On occasion the game glitches due to the increased speed teleportation adds, but all in the game handles it very well.

1. rabbit says:

ha … people do make me laugh =)

2. Porkolt says:

Say waaaat there’s no way Sonic 2 can be considered superior to the way more massive scope of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. More varied level design, longer levels, way more paths through levels (especially when including paths only accessible to tails/knuckles), better and more challenging bosses, the magnetic barrier…

Not to mention the lock-on replaced the mini boss music from Sonic 3, which I agree is probably the worst thing in the game, for the music from S&K, which is much better.

Bluerps says:

Also, the emerald minigame of Sonic 2 was way more annoying than the emerald minigame of Sonic 3. I hated that stupid roller coaster racetrack thing.

• Vagrant says:

You’re all wrong because Sonic CD.

Sonic Rush is my favorite, but it seems to be panned by hardcore Sonic fans due to physics changes.

• gou says:

yes sonic cd was indeed the best, especially from a completionist point of view. All that wonderfull timetravel stuff.

• skorpeyon says:

I played through Sonic 3 & Knuckles 8 times at one point. Cleared twice, with each character option (Sonic & Tails, just Sonic, just Tails, and Knuckles), all emeralds for each game, all just so I could have my saved game screen show as complete as possible. That, and I just enjoyed the (combined) game that much.

3. LionsPhil says:

It’s kind of amazing this works as well as it does.

4. mabeo says:

Finally a reason to register:

NOO, Sonic 2 was the worst (which is still good) and least pretty, 3 was the best!

• ikazrima says:

I enjoyed both the original and 2, but to me S3&K is vastly superior. Which makes me kinda sad that modders chose Sonic 2 over it. :(

I want my level editor dang it!

5. GWOP says:

I really love the background cityscape in the header image.

6. wraithgr says:

The emerald minigames in sonic 3 (which I believe were the same in sonic & knuckles) were easily the worst thing about the whole series. Too few tries per level and too easy to get kicked out of them, to the point that learning what to do in each level required way too many hours invested. I finished both the sonic and the knuckles route in S&KK more than once but could never be bothered to pick up more than the first emerald…

• ikazrima says:

I disagree. Usually I can complete both sets of emeralds in S3K during the 2nd stage (or 3rd, can’t exactly remember) for both 3 and S&K. I think it’s because of the abundance of the big rings that I can collect, for me personally the number of tries do feel generous. It’s there, it’s just some are very smartly hidden.

Oh, and S3&K is best Sonic.

• skorpeyon says:

There were, technically, infinite tries. The game had save slots. Once you beat the game, you could access a level select and replay any levels. The first large ring is very close to the start of the first level. Play that stage, go grab the emerald, and if I remember right you didn’t even have to finish the level, just reset and do it again. Then skip to the last level and play through again to get the extended boss battle.

7. geldonyetich says:

This is no “hack.” The video game characters are crossing dimensions now. We must master performing the Konami code for our own safety!

• LionsPhil says:

If Sonic and co. ever managed to punch through into the real world, one look at the collection of, uh, “fanart” they have on the Internet would soon send them right back before they’d so much murdered a single roboticist.

8. Oakreef says:

The Sonic hacking contest is always cool to have a look at. A good mix of twists on the games, new levels, new gimmicks, joke hacks and (for the 3D games) level ports.

Don Reba says:

Not a popular opinion, but even having played the Genesis classic back in the day, as well as Sonic CD, I liked Sonic Adventure 2 the most.

10. thekelvingreen says:

You are quite correct, Joe, Sonic 2 is the best of the series. I would say it’s the best platformer ever, were it not for Super Mario World making me second-guess myself.

particlese says:

Yeah, Sonic 2 was the best! My friends and I played the stuffing out of it at birthday parties for years. I might entertain the notion that S2&K is better, though, because it has more secrets and is physically rad.

Also, I’d put it out there that Rush Adventure and Colo(u)rs had some darned good tunes, but they were a bit samey, and 2 had the best regardless.

Opinion, away!

*finds secret RPS post edit button on back of head*
    Oh, and the portal thing and cart hacking in general is pretty neat, yeah.

12. HERP DERP NANOMACHINES says:

Adding a portal gun to one of the 3D sanic games would help the egregiously shite platforming puzzles.

Phasma Felis says:

Man, the portal effects are practically impossible to see in that video. It mostly looked like Sonic running along and then suddenly teleporting to another part of the level for no reason.

I assume it’s clearer when you’re actually playing.

14. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

That’s Blast Processing for you.