Darksiders 3 Is Still Planned, Obvs

Can even the Four Horsemen survive an apocalyptic event? Nordic Games hope so. When THQ went down in flames, Nordic bought up Darksiders – but not its creators, Vigil Games – and (naturally) declared that the hack ‘n’ slash action-RPG was not dead. While some assumed this would mean a Darksiders III, Nordic were a little vague, and the first we saw of DS again was the revamped Deathinitive Edition of Darksiders II – which hit PC last week. Worry not, they do indeed want to make a third game, and hope this re-release will help them with that.

Posting recently on the Steam forums, one Nord said:

“Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition was just the start. Since we acquired the franchise we were looking for options for doing a DS3. The remaster was just a way to get some spotlight on the franchise again, reactivate the community and have a better starting position for DS3.”

Hop to it!

The Deathinitive Edition of DS2 (it’s rebalanced, prettied-up, and comes with all DLC), did launch with a few problems, but fixes are coming. You can download a beta patch if you’re impatient, though obviously that may have problems of its own. Nordic offered an 80% discount on it to folks who owned the original version of Darksiders 2, though their plan to give it free to folks who’d bought all the DLC too got complicated.

The Deathinitive Edition was worked on by Gunfire Games, by the way, a studio founded by a group of former Vigil Games folks after the studio went down with THQ. They’re currently making VR game Chronos, though they do list something named Project X, which is the kind of teasing name that might over-excite the excitable.

There’s a terrible joke somewhere in there about “if wishes were horses…” and how Darksiders II lets you press C to summon Death’s horse, Despair. Let’s workshop this – it’s a great space here, you know.

1. ribby says:

Why would they start with War and Death? Now they’ve got Pestilence and Famine- the less interesting Horsemen of the apocalypse.

• Xocrates says:

Probably why they were replaced by Fury and Strife in the Darksiders world. One is a big-boobed lady with a whip, the other a dual wielding shooty guy.

Are they actually interesting characters? No idea. They have never had a role in any of the games.

• Carlos Danger says:

It really bothered me with the whole switch to Fury and Strife. I mean if you can’t make the 4 Horseman concept work as it was then don’t use it. Hate seeing them just crap all over existing mythology because they are unwilling or unable to put in the effort to make it correct.

• Creeping Death says:

Does it bother you that the original OP named Pestilence as one of the remaining horsemen? The biblical horsemen consist of War, Death, Famine and Conquest.

Honestly the “existing mythology” of the bible itself is so inconsistent that I dont think it really matters. I mean, it cant decide if it’s 4 horsemen, 4 horses, 4 sets of horses, or what colour any of them are. Parts of that book cant even decide if they are actual creatures, or rather disastrous acts.

• PancakeWizard says:

Tell the Bible. Pestilence was originally called Conquest. Seriously though, what’s wrong with trying to make it your own? There’s a whole Nephalim thing going on with these Horsemen. It’s pretty cool in a comic-booky ‘metal kind of way (ie, the creator Joe Mad).

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

The reason I found their alternate take on the four horsemen to be slightly disappointing is that conceptually, Fury and Strife seem to just be aspects of War; the characters themselves may be different but the aspects they supposedly embody aren’t as unique as I’d like.

Also, if I recall correctly, in the prologue comic Fury is less angry than War.

• Viral Frog says:

I didn’t know that they replaced Pestilence and Famine. I’ll need to see more with what they plan to do with the series, but given the descriptions of Fury and Strife, I’m pretty sure I lost every ounce of interest I had. Sad, because I thoroughly enjoyed DS and DS2.

• PancakeWizard says:

Given that you already know about the Darksiders universe and loved the first two, why would Strife and Fury be off-putting? They fit just fine.

• ribby says:

Huh… I didn’t know that it was originally conquest. Nor did I know that they’d replaced pestilence (or conquest, I guess) and famine. Anger is a strange one… That’s a deadly sin (wrath) not a horseman.

Have you read Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman? Great book. (basically an angel and a devil (the snake in fact) team up to try and advert the coming of the anti-christ and the apocalypse with the battle between heaven and hell, because they both quite like living in the world.)

Anyway they do an interesting thing with the 4 horsemen- you’ve got Discworld’s DEATH obviously, then War (who’s a she) who’s still going strong, Famine still exists although in the West he’s all about getting people to starve themselves with horrific diet food and apparently Pestilence gave up after the invention of penicillin, so we’ve got Pollution instead.

• PancakeWizard says:

@Ribby, yeah I’m a big fan of Gaiman and Pratchett. The horsemen in the Discworld novels are my favourite. He even thought of a good fifth one!

• Xocrates says:

By the way, I remembered that there is a prequel comic where they do appear. Just google “darksiders comic” to find it, but I think the you can get the gist of it from the cover:

link to image.slidesharecdn.com

• Merlin the tuna says:

In what bizarro world are those the less interesting horseman? Still grumpy they replaced them with “other war” and “other other war.”

• ribby says:

Okay, not ‘less interesting’ but less easy to base a video-game of this sort around? Presumably that’s why they replaced them with more ‘war’.

• Necrourgist says:

Oh man, you guys are idjits. Vigil simply choose to create their own fugging setting. Humans whorsphipped angels for example, evidence being the cathedral in Darksiders: Wrath of War. These are the four horseman of the apocalypse, collared hounds of the Charred Council held at a tight leash and they have nothing to do with the Bullshitian riders, save for the initial concept of broken seals, four riders and two of them being War and Death. /smh Read up on the setting before you spout bullshit!

• Viral Frog says:

No need to get all uppity. Everyone has their own opinion on what they find to be entertaining.

I’m glad they decided to make it their own universe. That’s completely fine. I’m not upset in the least by it. And changing the names from Pestilence and Famine to Fury and Strife doesn’t bother me in the least. What bothers me is this:

“One is a big-boobed lady with a whip”

There is nothing interesting or creative about this. And if that’s their end result character design for whichever character this describes, I will simply not play that game. I’m all for strong female leads, I just don’t find a sexist portrayal of women as qualifying as a strong lead.

• XxBrentos9xX says:

You’re taking a generic description from another user and using it as a basis for not liking the concept. The people who created the franchise and mythos haven’t even had the chance to give either of these characters a coherent story base. Plus I would rather play as Strife or Fury than either of the other ones for a second time. What are their “ultimate” forms? Wouldn’t it be interesting to know? Plus artwork for both of the characters look to be pretty neat. And show me any woman lead in a video game with small breasts.

I also simply don’t understand why so many people are hung up on character models or the fact they created their own mythos. I love the Darksiders games, but the story is a bit “eh”. To me it’s more about character development and the Zelda-esque worlds. People are ultra-picky…

• Valkyr says:

“show me any woman lead in a video game with small breasts”

Mirror’s Edge

• PancakeWizard says:

“A muscle-bound hulk with a glare and a big sword in a hood”

“A sinewy blue skull-faced dude”

They didn’t sound interesting either. Also, what’s the alternative here? They make Fury a completely different art style from the rest and ignore Joe Mad’s work? Fury is interesting because she’s the one we know the least about. It’s interesting to speculate what they’ll do with her. Her exaggerated comic-book looks are little to do with that. I find it weird that, as a heterosexual male my first thought when I saw her was ‘whip’, not ‘boobs’ and yet this is focused on like a laser by some. Personally, I’m looking forward to Strife the most – not because I identify with an exaggerated comic book character (how unhealthy would that be?), not because I think when I play a game it’s an automatic surrogate for myself (most games like this are character-driven, not ‘be who you want’ sandboxes), but because I want to know his story and why his guns were separated by time and space.

• ribby says:

Why do you think ‘sexual’ = ‘sexist’ ?

• Xocrates says:

To be fair here, neither of the other three are sexual or sexualized (unless you really want to count the shirtless Death, and even then he looks corpse-like), not to mention that despite the fact that they’re all warriors she’s the only one that isn’t hugely ripped and/or covered in heavy armor.

Of course, nothing of this means that it’s sexist, but it does mean they would need to do a hell of a job justifying why it isn’t.

Personally,… I don’t know. Aside from being largely a sausage fest, the Darksiders games are actually surprisingly good regarding their female characters. To the point I’m probably willing to let Fury pass even if only because the design fits the Metal Album Cover art style of the games.

It’s still a really uninteresting design though.

• ribby says:

True… But you also rarely see men in real life dressing sexually… whereas you do see women doing that… Idk.. It’s a tricky one

• Xocrates says:

You actually do see a lot of guys dressing sexily (or trying to at least), the thing is that our society focuses on women’s sexiness a lot more, to the point it often acts like it’s a requirement that women be sexy while no-one cares what a guy looks like.

• ribby says:

How so? I guess you do get guys going around shirtless when it’s hot, but that’s all I can really think of.

what’s really sexy about a guy? Muscles, abs particularly is all there really is, and most male videogame characters have em, and most display them.

I get that that’s not why they’re being displayed but the point stands.

Also I think there’s some truth to the idea that men care more about what their partners look like than women do?

• Necrourgist says:

Now THAT escalated quickly! To get y’alls back on track: The first thing i did when i bought the Hellbook Edition at launch was to crack it open and read through the Artbook. When i saw Fury, i didn’t think “ZOMG BOOBS YUMMY FAP FAP FAP”, i thought “Hmmm…Demons….Hmmm…Landscapes…Wait, the Horseman…Wait WHAT? A fiery lady with a barbed whip who is the most Witch/Sorceress/Mage-like of the quartet?”. When i saw Strife, i didn’t really think about his handguns, my first thoughts were “Dat Armor. Dat Mask. He must have a connection to humanity. Strife is THE horseman second-most alligned to/having been in contact with humanity, after Death!” Now you all just stop spouting nonsense puhlees, go to the Darksiders Dungeon/Buy the Hellbook Edition and read the Abomination Vault and then you can come back and talk about how Vigil and Joe Mad created their OWN Setting where Strife, Fury, War and Death are the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, bound to serve the Charred Council. /smh

2. The Sombrero Kid says:

I can’t fathom why they took the monumentally stupid decision to lock off this content from their biggest fans. If they really were trying to generate good press they’ve made a big mistake. I personally could do without darksiders 3 if it means holding the conclusion of the series to ransom.

• YogSo says:

Their biggest fans being people who bought the games/DLC on day one, or shortly thereafter, right? Instead of the Johnnies-come-lately that purchased the heavily discounted ‘Franchise Pack’, which are the ones that are getting the upgrade for free?

Well, it all seems so clear-cut and easy, or is it? Let’s think for a moment: who sold the games, originally? THQ. Who has the sales data of those purchases? Steam, I guess? And the ghost of THQ, maybe? And who sold the ‘Franchise Pack’? Nordic. Who has the sales data from that? Steam and Nordic.

So, to be able for Nordic to treat the biggest fans fairly, the only thing needed is for Steam to grant them access to the sales data of another company? As simple as that? I’m sure that wouldn’t go against any kind of confidentiality clauses on the contracts between Steam and the third-party publishers that sell through the platform.

Mind, I’m not justifying Nordic’s decision, just trying to explain the possible reasoning behind it. This situation is a lose-lose for them, anyway. The fairiest solution would have been to not gift the upgrade to anyone, but then people would have cried that they were asking money for a patch anyway.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

That is what they told people and they may even believe it, but I’m a game developer and i know that that isn’t the case, if they distributed it as a patch to the existing game with a dlc check against the stream api they could achieve it easily without asking valve for any data. They could also have just given it to everyone who owns darksiders 2 which would’ve cost them nothing and made them look like good guys, even a dark souls 2 style upgrade fee would’ve been better than this.

3. Cryio says:

Death was also nonexistent in Darksiders 1 except for his Scythe. The upgraded version which exists only on consoles.

4. PancakeWizard says:

There’s a lot of misleading info and wild speculation about what’s going on with this remaster so allow me to clear some up.

1. Nordic were trying to do a loyalty program so people who owned all the Darksiders stuff already would get this release for free. It worked fine on GoG, but on Steam they were forced to use the ‘Darksiders Franchise Pack’. I suspect because this was the only one put up by Nordic themselves (all others were done under THQ). Those with all the games and DLC did get 80% off though, which amounts to spending $6/£5. Considering no one knew it was going to be anything other than RRP at launch, this is still a good thing. They are however responding to emails and getting free Steam copies to those that care, individually. Clarification: No one is ‘owed’ a free copy of the game. IP acquisition is not customer acquisition. All this is a bonus, not a right.

2. There are some technical issues with this version of the game, some related to people using save games for the old version which aren’t technically supported. However they have been releasing hotfixes daily and even have a beta opt-in. These (not related to old saves) will be fixed. It’s not the end of the world. When it’s been fixed, it will run better than the old version – which still has long-standing bugs that will never be fixed by THQ/Vigil. As of 10/11/15, most of these issues have been in fixed in the beta version.

3. Most of the bad reviews on Steam for this game are a direct reaction to the botched loyalty program issue and not indicative of the game itself. As a fan myself, I bought with the 80% discount. I have no issue with this. As far as I’m concerned I’ve saved £25, not lost £5. I was ready to drop full RRP on this as a new game before the price announcements. However, I won’t be trying to play the game for a few weeks until I know it’s been tinkered with. Buying now was a means of securing the discount which is limited time offer.

4. This remaster wasn’t some outsourced cash-in. It was the bulk of the Vigil developers under a new development studio: Gunfire Games, working with Nordic (the new IP owners). It’s their custom-made engine, and still the 2005 Darksiders engine that’s been built on. There’s only so far they’ll be able to push it. Next game will likely be UE4. They are also still working on a Linux release of the original Darksiders. They are a very small but dedicated studio.

• Jalan says:

“I suspect because this was the only one put up by Nordic themselves (all others were done under THQ).”

– Once Nordic acquired the series they became the publisher for the titles, whether some other entity put them up originally or not.

I believe they’ve also ceased with the email situation.

• PancakeWizard says:

The emailing is continuing, people are getting keys in response. However there clearly was something technical going on, because they had no issue giving free copies away on GoG. It wasn’t some excuse as some would like to believe.

5. Turkey says:

Can Nordic games even afford to make a Darksiders game? From their Wikipedia page it seems like they’ve only released budget titles or had publishing deals for specific versions of bigger games that were bankrolled by other publishers.

• Cryio says:

For all intents and purposes Darksiders 2 was a much more expensive game than it needed to be. A lot of content was even cut from it. Evident from the somewhat empty second half of the game.

If they get a tighter script over Darksiders 3, a better engine and a more focused direction, Darksiders 3 could be a smaller game, but better designed and cheaper to make.

• PancakeWizard says:

They may very well be the last AA publisher, and long may they reign.

6. Wowbagger says:

I didn’t play much of darksiders 2 originally, What a mistake that was! I’ve been playing the deathinitive (sigh) version and it’s really good past the first couple of hours of drudge.