The Games That Got Away In 2015

We’ve been drawing up our end of year list here at RPS and in trawling through 2015’s releases, I found a fair few that I hadn’t played and feel like I really should have done. Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve been catching up. Here are the games I missed. Until now.

I play as many games as I possibly can. I’ve always liked to have as broad a knowledge of any given subject or medium as possible, sometimes to the detriment of any expertise, and working as a critic has caused me to double-down on that particular aspect of my behaviour. I’m irritated if I haven’t at least tried the latest thing that people are talking about and even more irritated if I haven’t found something odd and unexpected by the end of the working week.

Partly, that’s because I can’t help but have an opinion. I can talk for hours about films I haven’t seen and tell you exactly what I think about the latest trends in any given form of entertainment or art. God knows, I wish I had more control, but thoughts and opinions sprout like mushrooms in the musty cellar of my mind.

To ensure those fungal ideas aren’t entirely based on make-believe or reheated second-hand opinions, I watch, listen to and play as much as I possibly can. My need to devour culture goes into overdrive around this time of year, when people start publishing Best Of lists. I fell off my chair when I saw this and when I managed to drag myself up off the floor, I’d somehow spent 50 quid in the Kindle store.

Enough of books though. Here are the games that got away.

Technobabylon

I tend to play all things Wadjet Eye. As a developer, Dave Gilbert is at the top of his field and as a publisher, the company has a good eye for traditional point and click adventures. While it’s a little too exposition-heavy at times, Technobabylon is one of the best adventure games I’ve played in a long time. The world-building is fantastic, the puzzles are sensible but challenging, and it manages to craft a dystopia that is believable, and built on social and technological progression rather than an outbreak of evil or a sudden and complete collapse of cultural values.

The Static Speaks My Name

Possibly the funniest game I’ve played this year. It’s free, very short and unnerving. Every element works and is put to work, form the objectives that flash up on screen and perform as instruction and gag simultaneously, to the hints of more horror to come. Loved it.

A Wolf In Autumn

Another brief game here. A Wolf In Autumn is the latest from David Szymanski, creator of The Moon Silver among others. Short-form, plot- and text-heavy first-person horror is Symanski’s trademark and A Wolf In Autumn is a slightly more puzzle-centric take on a familiar format. On paper, all of his games could have been made just for me but I tend to find I admire them more than I enjoy them. This is no different – I’m glad I played it but I don’t know how long it’ll stick in my mind.

Dead or Alive 5 Last Round

I have fond memories of Dead or Alive 3 winner-stays-on tourmanents during drunken get-togethers in my room at university. Either the series has fallen off a cliff or I was more tolerant of the repetitive mechanics back then. Dead or Alive 5, as released on PC, is the worst game I’ve played this year. There’s no proper sense of space or collision detection smooth enough to make the fighting flow, and the characters are almost universally dull.

Mortal Kombat X

Maybe I just hate fighting games. To be fair to Mortal Kombat, I only dipped into the story mode. Time spent watching cutscenes and clicking through QTEs felt like an hour to get through two actual fights, each of which lasted around a minute and a half. And the story didn’t even amuse me in a hokey way; It reminded me of the later Resident Evil films, head firmly crammed up its own lore-hole.

Kerbal Space Program

This rocket flight sim has been available for some time and I’ve dabbled with it before now, but I’d always meant to devote a couple of weeks to it as soon as the full release arrived. That didn’t happen and now that I have put aside a few hours, I’ve been struggling to learn the basics. Is it just that my brain doesn’t understand this kind of stuff or am I approaching with too much trepidation and making problems for myself? I feel like I need to learn too many things to start having fun.

Axiom Verge

I started this earlier in the year and finished it last week. One of the best Metroid games I’ve ever played (I’ve only played the Prime games – well, I’ve played others but never finished them).

Zombi

This melee-focused redead ’em up looked like everything I wanted from a zombie game when it released on Wii-U. In fact, it nearly tempted me to buy one of Nintendo’s latest under-the-telly boxes, such was my desire for a new console and a new horror game. Conceptually, I still love it and it’s one of the few games that makes scavenging and crafting seem intense and necessary rather than like a cross between supermarket sweep and greedy toddlers at the pick ‘n’ mix. But I haven’t fallen in love with it and I prefer Dying Light for my daft undead killing antics.

***

What have I missed? I’m catching up on the year’s films as well, sucker that I am for these arbitrary cut-off points, so any recommendations on that front are most welcome. To round things out, here are my Top Ones of the year, in various categories. I’ll probably catch up on 90% of what happened in 2015 in 2020 or thereabouts, so these aren’t based on a comprehnsive overview.

Best Film: Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Album: Tunde Olaniran, Transgressor

Best Book: The Strange Case of Thomas Quick, Dan Josefsson

Best Wrestling Match: Sasha Banks vs Bayley, NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn.

Best Meal: A bog standard vegetable supreme pizza from ASDA that I ate after 24 hours of travelling on an empty stomach.

Best TV Show: Review With Forrest MacNeil (premiered on 2014 but I discovered it starting with this year’s second season)

Best Pint: The next one.

This post was made for the RPS Supporter Program. Subscribe and your money will go towards funding great new articles and videos. Already a member? Thanks for your support!

Bluerps says:

Technobabylon is almost Wadjet Eye’s best game. I think only the Blackwell series is better. I was sad when it was over, even though it’s not a short game.

• caff says:

That reminds me, I haven’t finished it yet. I left it half done and now the story is fading in my memory. Damn my lack of attention span.

• silentdan says:

I heard Technobabylon was good, bought it, played the first half hour, then got distracted by something shiny. Three months later, I restarted, and *really* enjoyed the game, playing it to completion in a week and a half. If it’s in your library, play it tonight. I’ve played all the Blackwell games start to finish, and I actually think TB is stronger than all of them, if not by much.

Might be time for me to finally play Gemini Rue. Need a WadjetEye fix.

• caff says:

You should do! It’s a fantastic ride of a story.

alison says:

Do it! Gemini Rue is excellent, one of the best sci-fi games i have ever played.

Technobabylon is sitting in my Steam backlog, locked and loaded for Christmas. Looking forward to it :D

Bluerps says:

Gemini Rue is a great game, though I have to say that of the Wadjet Eye games I played (Technobabylon, Blackwell, The Shivah, Resonance and Gemini Rue) I liked it the least.

alison says:

Weird. I just finished Technobabylon in a marathon overnight playthrough, and i thought it was good, but certainly no Gemini Rue. The story was very ambitious and hit all the great biopunk notes, but i found the characters a bit flat and unsympathetic. Similar feeling i had with Primordia and Resonance. Of course, they were all still very entertaining. Next up on my long weekend backlog – Stasis.

A slightly different style of adventure that RPS turned me on to was Consortium. It’s first-person, but definitely still an adventure, and my favorite sci-fi game i played all year.

Skabooga says:

I was perplexed by how much acclaim the latest Mad Max movie was receiving, so against my better judgement, I rented a copy and had a viewing. It is just an unreservedly, unabashedly entertaining movie with a surprising amount of care for its characters, more than almost any other action movie that I can think of.

• Hedgeclipper says:

I think that’s the key, care for the characters, care for the stunts and the action… after a couple of decades of Michael Bay style blockbusters that care only for the opening weekend box office Mad Max just blindsided everyone.

Carra says:

My expectations were low but boy, it’s one hell of a movie and my favorite movie of the year. It’s just one thrill ride from start to end. Each time you think “this can’t get any crazier”, it does!

Can’t wait for a sequel.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It is pretty much a veteran director just coming out of nowhere and showing everybody else what they have been doing wrong.

• Stellar Duck says:

Hold your horses, fella.

I love the movie but Die Hard, it is decidedly not. And that’s the best one. Also best Christmas movie. And best movie with the line ‘Hans, bubbi.’ in it.

Oakreef says:

I went in not having seen a Mad Max film before and not expecting much and I now consider it the best action film I’ve ever seen in my life.

• Banyan says:

A two hour car chase with Hollywood blockbuster funding for practical effects and a nearly ‘silent movie Buster Keaton’-esque performance from the title character while the actual protagonist is a one-armed woman? I can’t believe it got made at all. All killer, no filler – that’s what that movie is. Best action movie since Aliens.

• Distec says:

I see this kind of statement a lot, and I don’t know where it comes from. Max may not have been pulling the camera to his face every minute, but he was certainly the protagonist of his own film.

• LionsPhil says:

I dunno, most of the events are ultimately driven by Furiosa. Max spends much of the start of the film just being thrown around helplessly.

garfieldsam says:

Whoa you guys in the UK are into Tunde?! Crazy. I remember my buddy Norm convincing him to move from Flint to Detroit when he was unknown.

gritz says:

Not to sound dickish, but how can you go from one article talking about how the depiction of women in the Witcher series is so off-putting and then on the same day talk about how much you miss playing Dead or Alive?

gritz says:

For those who aren’t familiar with japanese console fighting games:

DoA is basically the ne plus ultra of gross objectification, being on the cutting edge of customizable breast physics technology.

• GameCat says:

Maybe because The Witcher sells itself as mature game for mature people and DOA is quite opposite of that and no in is pretending that boob jiggle physics have a deeper meaning.

• Tacroy says:

It’s almost like the meaningless sexualization of women in video games is a problem that’s been around for ages, and some games have been good despite it.

• Smuckers says:

Not to also sound dickish, but you can still enjoy something, and point out its flaws. Yes, objectively, I can see how depicting women as tiitillating real dolls is problematic for the medium, but personally, it doesn’t particularly bother me, and in some cases it can come across as intentional. Like Kojima and MGS 4.

As a sidenote, i would like to point out that part of games growing up as a medium, should be the realization that yes, it’s ok to have some cheesecake. Not every movie is Schindler’s List (or Fury Road, for that matter), and likewise not all games are the witcher 3 (which i bounced off of just as hard as the first 2). I think the problem is when you try to make something meaningful as a creator, well, you set yourself up to be held to higher standard than something like dead or alive. But maybe don’t listen to me, as a 13 year old i spent an unhealthy amount of time unlocking all the costumes to the first doa beach volleyball game on the old xbox slab. I regret nothing.

gritz says:

I completely agree, you absolutely can enjoy something and still be critical of it. That’s kind of my whole thing here at RPS.

I take issue more with the idea that one can be hypercritical of objectification in one series while seeming entirely uncritical of it in another, all in the same day.

• Smuckers says:

But that was my point. Context matters. You can judge one series differently than another. Not every game should be held to the same standard based on its goals. It makes sense that the witcher would be criticized for its depiction because it comes across as incongruous, while doa is what it is. It doesn’t try to be anything more.

• vahnn says:

I would just like to point out that the “write-up” of DoA in this article is all of 4 sentences. Also DoA’s depiction has been mentioned and discussed Several previous times on this site.

I question the objectification of women in DoA, too, but I don’t go on a tirade or remind people that it’s tasteless every single time the game is mentioned. Especially not in a short blurb about the game in a light-hearted article about games that didn’t quite pan out for me this year.

• DeepSleeper says:

I seriously don’t get the “titillating real doll” because in every respect except the costuming the women of DoA are absolutely amazing.

Tina’s gone from pro wrestling to acting to politics and has been highly successful in every field she’s chosen. Lisa’s a genius scientist who happens to enjoy strapping on a lucadore mask and piledriving people nose-first into concrete on her off-days.
        Kasumi and Ayane are ninjas responsible for ending big-deal threats to the planet, and Helena is an opera-singing CEO whose character arc by all rights should be that of a super-villain but has swung hard towards redemption.

Certainly not perfection by any stretch, but it’s a long toss from “just here to wobble and giggle”.

Phasma Felis says:

It’s okay if a game’s problematic nature prevents you from enjoying it. But it’s also okay if it doesn’t.

I would have trouble with someone who said that there’s nothing offensive or unpleasant about DoA, but everyone has a few guilty pleasures.

• Winterborn says:

“I have fond memories of Dead or Alive 3 winner-stays-on tourmanents during drunken get-togethers in my room at university.” fond memories, university. Three key words here. It is possible to evolve as when he enjoyed DoA3 was clearly a long time ago.

5. BluePencil says:

Referring to the link to the list of books in the article: I’d be very wary of using mainstream newspaper lists which invite various people to nominate books.

Authors have a high tendency to recommend books by their friends and/or those published by the same company they’re signed with.

Private Eye dedicates whole sections to this sort of thing and it is known as “log rolling”.

6. haldolium says:

Since RPS kind of didn’t even mention it’s release on Friday, I like to take the opportunity and EXTREMELY RECOMMEND UNDERRAIL.

It’s a late one in 2015, but it’s one of the very very few (since I too try to play “everything”, on PC at least) I downloaded and 8 hours later I found out that the sun might be rising soon.

For anyone who loved Fallout 1/2, System Shock, maybe Deus Ex, it should be an awesome return to the memories those games gave birth to a long time ago. While maintaining it’s own style in many regions.

It’s also surprisingly well polished and the dev already fixed more mandatory and minor issues as Avalanche managed to fix in 4 weeks. Hope they will address some community concerns still, but they’re active both in their own forum and on Steam, so it will be all sorted out eventually.

Again, one of the gems of 2015!

• Le blaireau says:

I approve this message. Played a bit (a lot) in early access but it’s all I’ve been playing since Friday. Haven’t enjoyed a game so much… Ever? Just exploring around fills me with tension and when you work out a particularly difficult encounter the satisfaction is huge. Rpg of the year, Rpg of the decade.

• caff says:

Yes but it’s only just been released! I agree though, this needs some RPS love.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Which right now is a whopping 6% off in the Steam sale!!

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Yes! I love it. I’m enjoying every moment of it. I’m glad I don’t seem to be the only one.

• Tacroy says:

Oh my goodness yes, this is an excellent game.

Be aware though, unless it’s been patched, even the largest text size is a bit hard to read on a high resolution screen – I can just about barely manage it on my 2560×1440 monitor.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

There’s an option to increase font size. I only know because I felt the same way and was pointed to it. Works great, too!

• Tacroy says:

yeah, that’s what I meant – even at the largest size of can be tiny depending on your monitor.

• xsikal says:

It’s admittedly a ridiculous excuse, but I’ve found I simply can’t play it because of the odd font giving me a headache. I hope someone releases a font mod for those of us with poor eyesight.

Adam Smith says:

Underrail is a priority for me but it’s going to slip into 2016, sadly. The end of the year is such a busy time. I won’t forget about it though, no matter how much egg nog I drink.

• April March says:

Man, I downloaded an alpha demo of Underrail, what, three years ago? Haven’t played it :(

7. DingDongDaddio says:

“Best Wrestling Match: Sasha Banks vs Bayley, NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn.”

No kidding. Such a great match. Can we get a wrestling section of RPS? In fact, RPS should cover all of my personal hobbies. Get on it guys.

• Museli says:

Sasha vs Bayley was great (twice), but One Night, One Fight between Prince Puma and Johnny Mundo on Lucha Underground left me breathless.

With the emergence of the Saturday Supplement, there’s now a place on RPS where Adam and t’others can speak their brains about pro wrasslin’. I’d like that.

• DingDongDaddio says:

I’ll have to give that a shot. With all the injuries to the top stars in WWE I’ve gotten really interested in giving LU a spin. I’ve heard nothing but raving about the damn thing!

• Museli says:

I could add yet more raving, but I’ll stick with info. Season 1 is done, about 43 episodes. Season 2 begins at the end of January, but some tapings have already been done, so the internet may hold spoilers for those who dig too deep. Have fun :D

• magogjack says:

I can not understand how anyone who knows that MMA is a thing can still watch “pro” wrestling. I am not hating, I literally don’t understand. Of course I get mad at action scenes when someone has their neck broken by a move that they could just shuck off.

• crazyd says:

I’m not really a fan of either, but that still reads to me like “I can’t understand how anyone is a fan of apples when oranges exist.” MMA is a brutal fight, while Wrestling (WWE style) is like a violent soap opera. I’d bet there’s a lot of crossover between the audiences, but they are two very different things with very different goals.

• MattMk1 says:

It’s not really apples vs. oranges, though, it’s more like apples vs. “4pplez! With three times the sugar of a boring ordinary apple – NOW available in purple, with extra caffeine!”

I don’t get it either. I like violent fiction, and I like MMA, but pro wrestling just seems to me to have the worst of both worlds – all the wear and tear (or more) on the performers of an actual contact sport without any of the authenticity or unpredictability, and so low-rent and shitty compared to a good action movie…

• crazyd says:

I dunno, man, it’s comparing real fighting to something more like a violently themed dance. And you seem to be missing that a ton of the appeal comes from the ongoing narrative. I’d say Wrestling is more like a live superhero or Kaiju movie than a MMA fight.

• toastmodernist says:

One is a drama punctuated by performance with the potential to have a unique level of audience participation and engagement with the evolution of the narrative and the other is a competitive athletic sport abt beating someone else up till they can’t fight anymore.

Some people prefer the first thing.

• DingDongDaddio says:

You watch wrestling for the same reason you watch any other scripted television show. You might as well bash on Breaking Bad for not being a live stream of an actual meth dealer.

Compare UFC to NBA, NFL, FIFA, boxing, or whatever instead.

• Winterborn says:

I enjoy MMA. It’s a sport and an interesting one. On the other hand pro-wrestling is an art and an interesting one. *shrug*

• Winterborn says:

The best match was Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinsuke Nakamura at Sumo Hall for NJPW G1 Climax 25. The first Bayley/Banks match was very good though.

8. KDR_11k says:

Axiom Verge is the only game I’ve beaten on my PS4 so far. And I bought that console almost immediately after the game came out there (though also because there was a good deal on it). Nothing else on that system has grabbed me yet…

9. lalilulelo says:

Regarding Kerbal Space Program, if you just want to have some fun and you feel overwhelmed, I feel like you should just learn the basics of what constitutes a working spacecraft (that’s really just a list of things you need to attach) and try assembling these parts in a single flying ball of fire on your own! Sure, it might not immediately work, but when it does, you will be quite satisfied, and the process of getting there will give you a sense of direction that really helps with these kinds of games.

• VulpixUsedEmber says:

Thank you. As a huge fan of KSP I can say that the review given in this article must have been written after very little experience of the game. Anyone who hasn’t tried it or somehow had a similar experience; seriously just go on YouTube, search something like “Kerbal beginner tutorial”, keep an eye out for videos by Scott Manley (he is the most active/knowledgeable poster of KSP vidoes), and with 10 minutes worth of tutorials you will be able to have some ridiculous fun at the very least, and a (mostly) realistic and challenging simulation of space exploration if you delve deeper.

Forgive my run-on sentences, Jeb had the keyboard.

10. gorice says:

I feel I should put in a word for Star Ruler 2. Sadly neglected by most PC gaming sites, but it’s a genuinely interesting take on the genre, much more innovative than the hyperflat and overhyped Endless Space. Not perfect by any means, but it’s been unforgivably overlooked.

11. v1tr1ol says:

Both Technobabylon and Stasis were really enjoyable.

12. lalilulelo says:

Also, Serpent in the Staglands seems to be criminally neglected by most gaming websites, and it kills me when I see Pillars of Eternity come up as one of the best RPGs this year, but SitS isn’t even mentioned!

13. Gilead says:

‘The Static Speaks My Name’ was the funniest game Adam played this year? I know humour is subjective, but I found that game so morbid and depressing I couldn’t complete it.

Yes, there were a few moments of dark humour, mainly in the notes left stuck to things, but the closest I came to a laugh out loud moment was when I turned it off and realised I never had to experience it again.

• Sarfrin says:

Having read a couple of times here that it was funny, I had to go back and check it was the game I was thinking of. Given you found it depressing before the ending you were right not to finish it. I think that overshadowed any humour that had preceded for me.
      I think it’s a very good game, but not because it made me laugh.

14. neoncat says:

I never saw a review for the release version of Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime! (Two announcements about its release, though…) Did that one get away?

15. Varrl says:

Still never saw as much as a release announcement on Trails in the Sky SC. Unless Adam suggesting it as an option amongst JRPGs he might play over the weekend counts…

Normally I couldn’t care less about how much press a series gets, but this is the first time I can recall I’ve become hooked on something only partially localized/ported.

16. Dare_Wreck says:

I LOVE Review – what a great, awesomely written show. Andy Daly is one of my comedy heroes.

• Winterborn says:

I hope you’ve heard his series of characters on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast – the so called ‘Cactus Tonyverse’. It’s one of the young mediums greatest(and funniest) achievements.

17. Jac says:

You really need to find a way to play Super Metroid. It’s the best metroid like game ever and one of the best games ever.

18. Risingson says:

The only thing about Technobabylon is that it is absolutely un-challenging: easy puzzles with objets that are, at most, one screen away. Is this the desired future for adventures?

• Anthile says:

Considering we came here from cat moustaches and rubberducks, then probably yes. The problem is that puzzles i adventure games tend to be rather tokenistic in nature and it’s difficult to integrate them naturally. Wadjet Eye games have never had overly complicated puzzles and usually go out of their way to not include overly esoteric solutions to problem. Items do what you expect them to do. I, for one, have suffered through enough shoddy adventure games to appreciate it.

• Risingson says:

Replied down. I think that avoiding frustration makes all the games be boring.

I am playing Baldur’s Gate now and sometimes I think “thanks god I die from time to time here”.

alison says:

It is most certainly my desired future. In fact, it is the future i have happily been enjoying for several years now. I remember the bad old days of sinking months – nay, years – into games and still never getting past a certain point. Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Day of the Tentacle being the two top offenders. They were insanely funny, right up until they were insanely frustrating. Even games from the tail end of the era like The Longest Journey and Syberia were a pain in the ass, although by then the tedium was thankfully mitigated by the appearance of internet walkthroughs.

I’m not a huge fan of the total on-rails experience that “adventures” like the Telltale games bring to the table, but pretty much all the new stuff from Wadjet Eye, Daedelic etc is leaps and bounds ahead of the point and click “golden age” when it comes to storytelling depth and pure entertainment. The puzzles may have you stuck for a few minutes, sometimes you may even walk around all the locations for a half hour trying to figure it out, then you do figure it out and life goes on. As a result of this, the stories can be far tighter and more compelling, because the player doesn’t need to cast his mind back 2 weeks from before he got stuck to remember WTF was going on.

Most adventures i play these days end up being a solidly entertaining 6-8 hour experience with little-to-no periods of out-and-out frustration. They need to be, because there are so many other really fun things we could be spending our time on (not least of which the other billion games on Steam). The best ones keep me occupied for a few evenings after work, same way as a good Netflix series might, and the experience is equally as satisfying and rewarding.

• Risingson says:

You nailed it there the exact reason why I stopped watching series: it is a completely passive thing to do, just sit down and watch. It is alright from time to time (being ill and binge watching Jessica Jones, as a late example), but it is a kind of thing that is just a time waster. It demands so little from you that you can even be playing Minesweeper at the same time, end watching the series and tell to your friends “heh, it was entertaining”. I prefer to do what I am doing now: revisiting old movies. Screwballs at home, Robert Altman at the morning/evening commutes.

Same thing with games. And I hate that “difficulty” in games means “more bullets” or “less ammo”. Or that games like The Raven only knows how to ramp up difficulty by the dreaded pixel hunting (and I mean proper pixel hunting: that game in the third act puts on my nerves).

19. Marclev says:

Yes, it’s about the same as most good modern point ‘n’ click adventures. And a good thing too, I had enough of the olden days of needing walkthroughs to work out whatever obscure solution, in whatever arbitrary order of steps, a developer thought was good for a puzzle, in order to artificially elongate the game play. Randomly clicking on combinations of things in the hope that it may advance the story isn’t actually that much fun.

There’s a damn good reason the things nearly died during the 2000s.

• Marclev says:

That should have been a reply to the post above above Technobablyon’s difficulty. D’oh.

alison says:

There is one game i would consider an exception to this rule. Edna and Harvey (Edna Bricht Aus). I played it in German, and i am not sure how they would be able to translate some of the hilarious puns, but pretty much every single combination of object has a unique joke attached to it. It’s literally the only adventure game i have enjoyed being stuck in, because there was new content for everything.

Of course, i still had to consult a walkthrough eventually. But it was a highly entertaining way to be stuck.

I’d also recommend the Deponia trilogy to the OP who apparently enjoys being stuck. There is one puzzle in there that is completely off-the-wall, but when you find out the solution it’s so obvious you could just cry. Solving it is just as wonderful if you consult the walkthrough after 5 minutes because it’s so clever. It also features one of my favorite escalating tongue-twisters ever, though once again, i imagine something would be lost in the translation to English.

20. Risingson says:

Yeah, but that’s the thing about modern adventure games, and modern games in general: they avoid frustration. They take you by the hand. It’s not needing a walkthrough, it’s just tapping you in the head for YAAAY being able to solve a really dumb puzzle. I feel really patronized by modern design.

(And then you have the modern dungeon crawlers like Etrian Odyssey and such that are the absolute opposite)

21. Cocoarico says:

I disagree, the best pint is always the first pint. The rest are just a means to an end.

22. Ingall says:

They re-made Review? Outrageous!

• Winterborn says:

I would normally agree but Andy Daly has such a different sensibility that it works as it’s entirely own thing.

23. Darth Gangrel says:

The best games that got away are the ones on my backlog and I’m slowly working through them.

The best movie of the year (or several years) for me was The Force Awakens. I don’t care (that much) about how that might make me appear like a super fanboyish dude.

A Swedish book about a real-life, still living serial killer is the best book of the year for an RPS writer. That’s got to be surprise of the year (I’m Swedish), although RPS often mentions Swedish stuff when I least expect it.

24. alms says:

RPS Writer of the Month. Other RPS writers, don’t worry, I still like you. Merry whatchamacallit.

25. Chinook1309 says:

With reference to Kerbal Space Program, the in game tutorials aren’t very good. I was bumbling and fumbling along until I discovered Twitch Streamer Das Valdez. His Kerbal Bootcamp Twitch VODs and YouTube channel were immensely helpful to understanding the mechanics of Kerbal Space Program. There are also a couple of mods that make things easier to understand as well when constructing rockets and traveling through space.