Spooky Teddy JRPG Spin-Off FNaF World Out Soon

I have never played a Five Nights at Freddy’s [official site] game. This is nothing to do with loathing the art style or having no patience for jump-scares, and everything to do with an ancient prophecy that states the entire population of the world will spontaneously sprout weeping facial sores should a 5’6″, quarter-Jewish man born in Upton Snodsbury, Worcestershire ever play a game about a scary teddy bear. I’m doing this for you, you understand. As such I will never know if the impending series finale/JRPG spin-off Five Nights At Freddy’s World, is a fitting conclusion to these tales on animatronic horror. I can, however, tell you why it’s not out yet, and when it will be.

With the lights turned bright and with colours so saturated Willie Wonka would need a lie-down, FNaF World would appear to be yer ironic inversion of series tropes – either that, or it’s playing fangame-makers at their own game. Here’s what it looks like, in case you missed the reveal a little while back:

O….K. Well, the series is definitely branching out, I guess.

Again, I cannot play that, for the sake of everyone’s faces. There is no other reason whatsoever that I won’t be playing it. None at all.

Fans had hoped it would be with them by now, having become accustomed to this series churning out new entries like its creator’s short-term mega-wealth depended on it, but it’s just had a February release date pinned to it. Creator Scott Cawthon yesterday dropped by the FNaF 4 Steam forums to reveal that a deaded computer and the arrival of bouncing baby boy (who will presumably have a complicated relationship with teddy bears) had both set him back. He even wrote the post from the hospital. Here are your Key Facts To Consume And Memorise:

“FNaF World is coming along very well, despite these delays, and I plan on releasing it February 19th on Steam, and then for Android and iPhone in the following weeks! I will also release a demo on GameJolt!”

In theory, FNaF World is the last game in the series, Cawthon having deemed the story now complete, although I’ll believe that when I see it. Look to Saw, the last time we had an unexpectedly enormously popular horror franchise, and how many times its 49 sequels implied some sort of denouement. And in case, a FNaF movie is on its way from Warner Bros, so the cycle is likely to begin anew.

The other question is whether FNaF World will truly be a colourful JRPG throughout, or if some sort of twist which drags it back to familiar origins awaits.

Feb 19, anyway. You’ll have to tell me whether or not it’s a fitting conclusion, unless you want a leaky face.

1. Xaryi says:

Currently cute puppets devour my soul as much as those of the classic game. Old 3D style is terrific.

2. MrFinnishDude says:

Now I know hell, terrible visages of absolute damnation are flashing through my screen. I wonder, “Is this real? I’t cant be real.”. But deep down, I know that this is no mere illusion, but an actual game people want to play. There is no hope.

• Turkey says:

Eh, it’s fine. Just a bunch of teenagers going through a horror mixed with cute phase. It’s this generation’s Johnny the Homicidal Maniac or American McGee’s Alice.

Aerothorn says:

I was all like “Upton Snodsbury, haha, that’s an excellent name for a fictional place” and then I looked it up and IT’S REAL.

Sometimes the English scare me.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Your post inspired me to look up a list of funny British place names, and they’re wonderful, if you don’t mind your humour a little on the randy side:

-Happy Bottom, Dorset
      -Shittington, Bedfordshire, UK
      -Hole of Horcum, North Yorkshire
      -Fudgepack upon Humber, Humberside

My inner twelve-year-old is laughing his Happy Bottom off.

4. JuergenDurden says:

i wqas always of the opinion that FNaF would be more aptly titled FAFF, cuz that’s what that series is to me.

Waltorious says:

First I thought “those battles look a lot like The Desolate Room”, then I turned to Google and discovered that The Desolate Room was made by the same person who made the entire Five Nights At Feddy’s series.

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS?

6. BiggerJ says:

Crazy crackpot theory time! Documents hidden in the game archive will reveal that, within the world of FNaF, the game was found in the computer of a reclusive man after his death, became the stuff of legend, and was leaked and became likened to the works of Henry Darger. It is strongly implied that the creator was the victim of the Bite of ’87 (whose identity was revealed in FNaF 4).