Call Of Duty 2016 Confirmed, Infinity Ward Really Proud Of Office Signage

Gosh! Is it time for the annual “Activision have confirmed Call of Duty [official site] still exists and is still getting its annual instalment” post already? But it was only just Christmas! Where does the time go?

Anyhoodle: Activision have confirmed Infinity Ward are working on Call of Duty 2016 and it will be released in Q4 (it’s usually during the first half of November if you haven’t been keeping track).

Infinity Ward then confirmed the announcement in a tweet:

I like this tweet because to me it reads like Infinity Ward have been working really hard to develop a sign of their own name.

I guess they will have to get a wriggle on if they want to meet that Q4 deadline and all they’ve got to show so far is a sign with their own name on it.

So! Let’s have a think. Infinity Ward is the studio which released the original Call of Duty. More recently they offered up the Modern Warfare sub-franchise and then Ghosts. Here are some predictions for CoD 2016 fresh from the RPS chatroom:

Pip: Call of Duty: Postmodern Warfare (need to check this wasn’t actually Blops 3)

Alice: Call of Duty: Blackpool Ops (the scene where you zipline down the Tower on a string of Christmas lights…)

Adam: I’m still not sure whether Black Ops 3 was about the whole of modern Call of Duty being a dream or virtual reality or the memories of a dead soldier. I think all future CoD campaigns should end by making me feel confused and slightly angry though. “You were dead the whole time. Also, war may not be the best.” “Here is a booster for the deathmatch mode”

One of us must be right.

From this site

distantlurker says:

Which one is this, 13?

• Troubletcat says:

Should be fun to see if I can remember them all…

1. Call of Duty
      2. Call of Duty 2
      3. Call of Duty 3
      4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
      5. Call of Duty: World at War
      6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
      7. Call of Duty: Black Ops
      8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
      9. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
      10. Call of Duty: Ghosts
      11. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
      12. Call of Duty: Blacks Ops 3
      13. Call of Duty 6: Llama Soldiers (Just guessing here)

Damn… yeah, I guess it is 13. Although there was also at least one console only spin-off title (Call of Duty: Big Red One) and possibly others I’m forgetting. I guess I could look at Wikipedia but that’s no fun.

Plus there were a couple of expansions for Cod The First.

It’s pretty ridiculous isn’t it?

• Philippa Warr says:

Good memory – there’s also a bunch of mobile games and Call Of Duty Online which Tencent runs in China iirc

• DailyFrankPeter says:

“It really whips the llama’s ass”. Ah, Winamp memories.

2. RCoon says:

I predict: It’s going to be utterly terrible, but will sell more copies than the previous terrible title that sold more copies than the previous terrible etc.

• KillahMate says:

Actually as I understand it Call of Duty sales are slowly dropping and have done so for several years now. Of course a two percent decrease on a billion dollars is still a plonking huge amount of money. And people still like them because a) Oo-rah and shooty soldier-men never go out of style, and b) It’s a very competent implementation of a simple game mechanic – I’ve heard it described as a hidden object game, where the hidden object you have to find on the screen and click on is a terrorist head. Also the twitchy shooting mechanics reward raw dexterity over a tactical approach which makes the game very easy to pick up and accessible to younger players and adds a pleasing amount of randomness to the multiplayer matches. Like Mario Kart with guns.

• pockoman says:

It’s not the sales that are dropping, rather it’s the growth in sales. So call of duty 11 sold 30% more than call of duty 10, but call of duty 12 only sold 20% more than call of duty 11 (not actual numbers obviously, just an example).

3. yogibbear says:

Wait is it actually called “Call of Duty 2016” like FIFA? They’re finally making it like FIFA and NBA2k16 and the like? This is hilarious right?

4. DeanLearner says:

Here’s my prediction. Mr Leader McWar, who gives you orders in the first mission turns out to be Mr Baddy McTrouble, something you only discover right at the end. Or… what you THINK is the end.

The credits roll and once they’ve finished, your in game character says “Good now the player thinks he has finished” not realising you are still watching. This is when you realise you’re the bad guy and the only way to win is to make your character commit suicide. You head to the bathroom cabinet and as you reach up to open said cabinet to take an overdose of pills you see your reflection in the mirror and you’re actually a HORSE.

You rush to pick up a knife to end it once and for all but your hooves just can’t do it. Your only open now is to jump off a cliff.

As you head to Dover, your back legs stop working and you are forced to lie down. While lying there in the ironically lovely sunshine you realise there’s a line going around your horsey stomach. On closer inspection you see that the line is actually velcro.

“What the hell is happening?! Wait…. I can’t… surely I’m not….” Yes that’s right, you’re no normal horse, you’re a pantomime horse. In fact you’re not a pantomime horse, but a person inside a pantomime horse.

“Oh good! I can make my way to the cliff now” you say as you exit the suit. As you begin to head off, you remember that a pantomime horse has TWO halves… “So who was with me?!” you say to yourself as you scramble to reveal your unknown accomplice.

It’s Captain Price.

Why was he there? Well, you’ll have to wait until CoD 2017 – He’s Behind You.

• Okami says:

That’s actually pretty close to one of the drafts we had for the story of “SpecOps: The Line”. Just that in our case you turned out to be one of the Oryx you see at the very beginning.

• Silvarin says:

Please kickstart this, stretchgoal 1: horsesuit, stretchgoal 2, captain Price suit

• Kenny007 says:

I never realized how much I wanted this game.

5. Neurotic says:

Adam’s tuppence’ worth puts me in mind of Spec Ops: The Line.

6. Gap Gen says:

Infinity Ward is a wing of Hilbert’s Hospital, right?

• BobbyDylan says:

Yeah, it’s where the A&E waiting room is.

• Gap Gen says:

It gets really inconvenient when a new patient arrives and they have to move everyone to the operating theatre next door.

• SpiceTheCat says:

Or when a Hilbert bus crashes and they suddenly have to deal with infinite casualties, but make room by moving all the current patients in room n to room 2n.

I hear there’s been a problem finding aleph-0 junior doctors to run the infinity ward, and they’re all countably cross.

• Andrew says:

Nerds!

But I understand you…

*looks into the mirror* Nerd!

• jon_hill987 says:

The best thing about that waiting room is, as long as you are in cover, you get better just by waiting.

• TWChristine says:

Gap Gen? …Gap Gen..now that’s a name I’ve not heard in a long time..a long time.

7. dethtoll says:

Infinity Ward, eh? Guess I can skip this one. Call me back in 2 years when Treyarch is up again.

8. grundus says:

I’m confused, I heard it was now trendy to be cautiously optimistic about the next Call of Duty, yet all the comments here indicate that it is, in fact, still trendy to deride it as if it was 2008. I just don’t know how to feel any more, maybe I’ll wait and see what the next few commenters say and jump on the appropriate bandwagon.

9. unacom says:

Huh? Activision still exists?

10. Andrew says:

Call of Duty 4 Modern Hardware
    Call of Duty: Titans Fall Too
    Call of Duty: Garden War Fare
    Call of Duty: … MOBA (you know it’s gonna happen)
    Call of Duty: Mo’ Dirty War Fairy
    Call of Duty HD (only if there is gap between them, so, not likely)

11. jon_hill987 says:

Call of Duty: Medieval Warfare

12. Hunchback says:

All those “yearly release plan” game franchises are really offensive to me now. And i really think this way of making games is NOT helping the gaming industry, teams can’t possibly have the time to actually think of something nice and new when they are asked to spew garbage a copy-with-newish-graphics of their previous game, every fucking year.
    But of course, we can’t blame the publishers for their business plans, if it pays they’ll do it. It’s a business after all. I just wish people would actually understand that this is complete bullshit and stop buying the next FIFA/NBA/NFS/CoD every damn year, so that this model would die off.

• Andrew says:

Correction: every three years.

And iteration not bad in itself. Yes, sometimes there is fatigue and such, but often devs can’t wait to put newly gained experience to the next game. Just look, even when people leave one company and form another, they go back to making games in a familiar genre.

There are TV shows with episodes every week, for months and they return every year. If it’s a good show, no one complaining. Nothing inherently wrong with model like that.

It’s just with CoD, then they do something bad, it’s more obvious, and then they do something good, it’s less impressive, because we have very fresh memories from previous year. And they can’t do anything too radical, they stuck in very specific sp/mp shootery-shooter.

There are people who happily buying CoD game every year. Are they wrong? No! If you want to play it every year, then look at it like it is — a tv show, more of the same, with some iteration. If you don’t, then ignore it or pick one good in every couple of years. There is like a gazillion other games out there, stop complaining if this one not for you. (Personally, I played only MW1 and MW2, and I’m, happy with what I got.)

• Punning Pundit says:

So: I’m not an FPS guy. Large grain of salt there. However! I still have an opinion. ;)

Activision has 3 FPS series. They all share a name because the publisher would like us to associate them all. So they have some basic similarity every year.

EA also (I think?) has 3 FPS series. Am I supposed to keep track of all 6 of these? Do people truly know the fine grain differences between the 3 EA games and the 3 Activision games? If so, good on them! Whatever brings people happiness is good. I just don’t quite believe it.

I’ll note that Ubisoft tried this model with AssCreed. They have been trying to have 3 teams working on 3 games, each released a year apart. It looks like they’re abandoning that model.

I’m also a huge proponent, ftr, of TV shows having an end in mind when they air the first episode, because quality _can’t_ be maintained indefinitely. And the idea that Star Wars will have a yearly installment for the foreseeable future is worrisome. Franchises should lay fallow for a while. Eventually numbness sets in.

keefybabe says:

Call of Duty: It’s the same game as the last one.

keefybabe says:

Call of Ctrl-C: Ctrl V

keefybabe says:

I actually want “Call of Duty: Club closing time” where a goth club and a Yates’ are next to each other and kick out at the same time.

• Troubletcat says:

The people who play CoD compulsively won’t understand this because they’re either A: too young to go to venues where alcohol is served or B: old enough but not the kind of people who have ever left the house for entertainment.

16. gbrading says:

I can totally see them naming this one just Call of Duty V, similar to how Grand Theft Auto V, The Elder Scrolls V and Metal Gear Solid V made using a Roman numeral acceptable.

17. GenialityOfEvil says:

Call of Duty: Day Off

18. Stone_Crow says:

A new COD gaame!!! I could only be more excited if Ubisoft announced Assassin’s Creed Shelf Stacker.

19. Jabberslops says:

If Activision republished every CoD released on PC up to World at War and all expansions and DLC, on Steam with Steamworks and VAC support, I would rebuy all of them for $10 each.

20. teedle says:

Give the Soviet-missile-bomb to us!