Five Nights At Freddy’s World Re-Released For Free

FNaF World [official site], the RPG spin-off from animatronic scare ’em up Five Nights at Freddy’s, has returned and is now free. Creator Scott Cawthon released it in January, a month earlier than he’d previously planned, and some responses to the game made him rethink that. Really rethink that. He pulled the game from sale, decided to refund the $10 of everyone who bought it, and said he’d work to improve it before re-releasing it for free. Which he now has. That’s fondness for one’s players. Happy almost-Valentine’s-Day!

“This is the first updated version FNaF World, featuring a remodeled overworld and many other new features. More updates to come!” Cawthon said in FNaF’s new home on Game Jolt, where you can download it.

When he pulled the game, Cawthon said he “was not satisfied with the reviews and ratings it was getting” – though Steam’s player reviews were mostly positive.

FNaF World, if you’ve missed the hubbub, is a retro-style JRPG-y sort of a game. It sends the wonky animatronic animals from Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza “on a quest in the world beneath worlds, a world that reflects the actions and deeds of the ‘flipside’, where things have started becoming distorted and broken.” You fight monsters, that is.

This reminds me of the residual guilt I still feel for not properly updating my list of Five Nights fan games (over 6,000 are now listed on Game Jolt – hey, wait, FNaF World is in there too!).

1. Oakreef says:

The thing that’s really annoyed me about this whole thing is the chorus of people saying “this is how it should be done” and “why don’t more devs do this?” The answer is of course most devs need to eat and can’t afford to do this.

• Shuck says:

“Why can’t game developers be our slaves?!” is ultimately the sentiment behind those statements/questions. (And the answer is: because for the price of a retail game, all you’re owed is that game – and not the game you imagined or hoped it would be, but the actual, existing game – not the lives or even further labor of game developers.)

• zaphod42 says:

Yeah, exactly! As an indie dev myself I was rather concerned for Cawthorn. In the last news post everybody was like “awesome” and “good he’s doing this, its what he should do”.

Uh, hello? its a videogame. He made it. He doesn’t have to do anything. You guys are rather entitled.

I think the game looks pretty decent and I think he gets a bad rap. I feel for the guy :/

Hopefully sales of FNAF are doing well enough he doesn’t care.

• PancakeWizard says:

I’m not a developer, but I agree with you completely. I hope that he hasn’t done this out of some misplaced anxiety and sacrificed his only source of income.

He could’ve at the very least put up a ‘pay what you want’ scheme instead. This just makes it really uncomfortable for me, as a non-entitled potential customer.

• Merus says:

I was one of those people who was pleased Cawthorn decided to un-release the game and issue refunds. I’m not quite as thrilled that he’s decided to re-release the game for free, because it colours that initial choice. Instead of being able to use the luxury of time that he has thanks to the success and sales of the Five Nights series to make his new game better, it seems like he lost confidence in his work.

Neurotic says:

I finally broke down and bought the first one on Steam recently. Played it for ten minutes, stopped, had a shower, changed my trousers then swore never to play it again.

3. Fungaroo says:

This has to be one of the stranger gaming phenomenons of the last several years, right? Especially with the video content creation it’s inspired.

4. keefybabe says:

I’m overweight, over 40 and don’t want to die. Therefore I don’t play FnaF games.

Might give the JRPG a crack though.

• Jalan says:

Could almost pass for an Apatow film title.

Coming soon,