Audiosurf Adopts VR With Audioshield, Out Next Month

Perhaps the most difficult thing about demonstrating the virtues of virtual reality games is the fact that so much of the effect is lost when portrayed via flat video. With this in mind, the Fantastic Contraption guys have made some good videos recently using ‘mixed reality’ – a process where a combination of secondary cameras and in-game and in-headset footage is used to showcase how the game works. Audioshield [official site], successor to obstacle-dodging rhythm game Audiosurf, adopts a similar approach in its latest trailer to great effect.

Alongside yesterday’s HTC Vive pre-order announcement, Audioshield developer Dylan Fitterer revealed a mixed reality preview video for his upcoming orb-blocking, motion-controlled, music rhythm game. Come, see:

The video combines gameplay footage of someone playing along to Vortal Combat from the Half-Life 2: Episode Two soundtrack with green-screen footage of the player’s movements, to demonstrate what they’re doing. Which is blocking different sprays of colour with the appropriate shield (a motion controller) on a level generated from the music. Come release, much like the Audiosurf series before it, Audioshield will allow you to use music direct from your library or streamed via Soundcloud.

I’m still on fence as far as VR is concerned – I mean, the price tag is a big ask, right? – however Audioshield does look really rather cool. Will games like this justify the price tag? Probably not for me, but I am glad they exist, if for nothing else but to offer another example of what the medium is capable of creatively.

Then again, there are some folk who just won’t be sold on virtual reality in its current guise at all. Which camp do you fall into?

Audioshield is out on Steam next month.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Sp4rkR4t says:

This is the video that sold me on VR.

• BobbyFizz says:

Same, holosheild on my hand? Sign me up for a Vive with immediate effect please.

2. Jekhar says:

I don’t know if this type of presentation really helps them sell their game better. Now it looks like an old kinect promo video.

3. Stijn says:

This looks amazing!

Also, the music made me melancholic. I do hope Valve manages to capture Half-Life 2’s magic again somewhere down the line, even if it’s not in an HL game. There’s not much that compares to the atmosphere of that game.

4. Kitsunin says:

Damn, hard to say without giving it a proper try, but that looks like it might actually compare favorably even to some of the stuff you find at arcades (or you would, if those were a thing in the west).

• Kitsunin says:

Speaking of which, I wonder when we’ll start seeing VR stuff drop in arcades? I mean probably never, in English, but for Japanese machines…?

• laiwm says:

I won’t be too surprised if arcades become the main market for VR, at least until it gets a lot cheaper to own a headset. Though I think it depends on whether they can design something that doesn’t feel gross to strap to your face after a stranger’s been wearing it :/

5. Plank says:

This reminds me of that exercise game where you tap lights on a wall. You’ll sweat your butt off playing this.

6. DJ0JJ says:

Will I turn into a Karate master using this on “Through The Fire And Flames”???

7. DD says:

I think this does a pretty great job of showing what VR can be like. Its really hard to convey the 1 to 1 precise movement to people that have not used it. I think most people think of Wii/kinect delay.

• ryryryan says:

This is pretty good for showing the real life 1:1 movement also:

8. Halcyon says:

John’s article comparing VR to 3d Televisions is incredibly cringe-worthy. I fear its only going to read more and more like some sort’ve Andy Rooney fan fiction as time goes by.

9. Shazbut says:

He doesn’t make a mistake. I wanted to see what being smacked by a flying ball of colour looked like.

• Plank says:

If one of the flying balls had hit him in the head and the headset had rumble then that would be pretty good right?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

This looks neat as a VR game but as an Audiosurf spin-off it’s kind of blah.